2024 Phillies Thread

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
There was a lot of chatter last night regarding Wheeler not having his best stuff. That’s always interesting given that Wheeler’s lesser stuff still exceeds a lot of pitchers best stuff.

As I was watching him, I thought a lot of Doc. Even when Doc had to battle it a bit, he always executed. When Wheels loaded the bases, I knew there was a big K or double play in there somewhere. Watching him, you didn’t see him overthrowing trying to make the perfect pitch. You saw his surgical execution instead to work himself through the jam as clean as possible. Someone made the comment that what makes Wheeler so good is that the hitters seldom get their pitch, they get Wheeler’s pitch. You don’t ever get a “just get me over fastball“ at any time during an AB. Every pitch has a purpose and its execution is at such a high level.

I bet there are a ton of pitchers who would love to have Wheeler’s B stuff of last night. Its not fair to expect him to win every time out, but I am generally shocked when he doesn’t do well and does not pitch deep into games. When he has his best stuff, it’s not fair. But when he doesn’t have it, he still can be really tough given his ability to execute.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

A mistake in the article:

"He [Bohm] scored the winning run when Castellanos doubled on the first pitch of the 10th inning from right-handed reliever Joel Payamps."

Whit Merrifield was a pinch runner for Bohm in the top of the 10th, and he's the Phillie that scored from 2nd on Casty's double.

Reactions: Shadow99

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Ring It

Sweep GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
23-3 at CBP in their last 26 games. That's crazy. And while the offense has been below par of late, they just swept the Brewers, who are in 1st place in the NL Central