2024 Phillies Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Tough way to start the bottom of the 8th, tied 4-4:

But after a single and a double (leaving men on 2nd & 3rd), Cal Stevenson delivers this as a pinch hitter (for Rojas):

And then Buddy Kennedy follows that with a single (Buddy, Buddy, Buddy):

And then Trea follows with a HR:

Reactions: Shadow99

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Sweep The Series GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow99

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
Phils stand at 30 games over .500 for the first time since 2011 I believe.

They need to go 12-4 against the Mets, Brewers, Cubs, and the Nats to get to 100 wins on the season. Can they do it?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
They also crashed out of the playoffs early in 2011, so I prefer they stay healthy and reasonably rested for the playoffs.

Yep. The Fightins won the last game of the season, when they played the Atlanta Braves, in the 14th inning. By virtue of winning that game, they pushed the Braves a game below the Cardinals in the Wild Card standings. (In those years, only 1 wild card team qualified for the playoffs.) The Cards finished the season with a 90-72 record, while the Braves finished the season with a 89-73 record. As it was, that win on the final day came back to hurt the Phillies, as they lost to the Cards in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, the only teams in the NL that the Fightins had losing records against in 2011 were the Nationals and the Cardinals.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Yep. The Fightins won the last game of the season, when they played the Atlanta Braves, in the 14th inning. By virtue of winning that game, they pushed the Braves a game below the Cardinals in the Wild Card standings. (In those years, only 1 wild card team qualified for the playoffs.) The Cards finished the season with a 90-72 record, while the Braves finished the season with a 89-73 record. As it was, that win on the final day came back to hurt the Phillies, as they lost to the Cards in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, the only teams in the NL that the Fightins had losing records against in 2011 were the Nationals and the Cardinals.
I went to Game 1 of that NLDS series.... My dad owed me. He'd promised to take me to the World Series in 1964. We all know what happened next. So my folks sadly passed in August of 2011 (within 8 days--it made the Inky), in Georgia. But we decided to also hold a memorial service for them at the church my mom grew up in in Manayunk in October. We're making our travel plans, and I realize that we're gong to get to Philly around mid-day on Friday. My parents had left a small insurance policy for their three kids. So I told my wife--we're going to use some of that money to go to the game. Dad owes me one! Next to last row in the outfield, but we were in the ballpark. I'm sure somewhere my mom and dad were smiling. What an atmosphere.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Damn, Nola was cruising, but two hits in the top of the 5th, and then Alverez hits the pole for a 3-run HR.

The Fightins have had almost no offense so far.