A meeting of the elders - NIL

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
Gentleman, we need to call a meeting of the elders. If we do not get serious about the NIL, we are going to be left behind forever. I know this is not the first time to bring this up but if Saturday didn't show you we can't get the players we need, I don't know what will.

Our um, friends, up North are absolutely leaving us in the dust right now. Not just with their football success on the field but with NIL and overall branding. I know we are trying, and I appreciate those involved, but we are not even in the same universe right now.

For those that don't know, Walker Jones is over The Grove Collective (NIL) for Ole Miss. You probably remember him as a player in the 90's. Walker not only has the Ole Miss connection as a player but he was also an executive at Under Armour for years. He signed Steph Curry and others to UA deals. He has the experience to run an organization that is built around brand awareness and raising big money. That's why they are so successful right now. He also has access to a private jet where he can fly NIL donors (or donors he is working) to home and away games. I encourage you to go look at their Instagram page. You will see tons of activity, they auction game used memorabilia to raise money, they sell custom Ole Miss Air Force 1's to raise money. Heck, they raised a ton of money one random day a couple of weeks ago to go play pickleball with Lane Kiffin. All of that was just the last two 2 weeks. They are constantly working to raise NIL funds and awareness - everyday! On the other hand, we have had 5 Instagram post in 5 months on our NIL page.

I give to the NIL. Not much, quite honestly I joined about 16 months ago out of sheer curiosity. I just wanted my name on a list so I could get an inside track on what's going on. When I do here from our NIL, it's a notification that my credit card was charged for the month, that's about it.

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, if we don't pay, we won't play. Period. Ole Miss understands this very well but I don't believe we have the fanbase that can stomach it. I don't see much of a path moving forward, we simply don't have the leadership or fans to make it happen.

Also, this is not an indictment of Charlie. I don't know him, he sounds like a smart guy, I'm sure he loves State. But for us to move forward we need a serious heavy hitter leading the NIL efforts.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't know Charlie either, but I really appreciate what he's done. But he just doesn't have resources (or likely the expertise) to do the job right. Our NIL is amateur hour compared to schools that are serious about winning. Really, you could say that about most of our athletic dept.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Concur on all points.

They've been miles ahead of us media/brand wise for as long as i can remember.

Keenum needs a staff of full of student writers pumping out fluff articles and sending the best articles to every outlet in the country. Pay the students for every one of their articles that gets published.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Concur on all points.

They've been miles ahead of us media/brand wise for as long as i can remember.

Keenum needs a staff of full of student writers pumping out fluff articles and sending the best articles to every outlet in the country. Pay the students for every one of their articles that gets published.
State pays kids to sit in the damn library already. No reason they can't help out with some things.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
I've been called an "idiot" for even bringing this up. That's why I have very little hope for State. We're slow dancing in a burning room and nobody wants to even ackowledge the problem. I know how good State and Ole Miss has been has gone in cycles over the last 50 years. But those days are gone - it's a totally new landscape now. Oregon State probably made these same arguments 25 years ago (we will be fine!)

widespreadgt

Sep 1, 2023
I've been called an "idiot" for even bringing this up. That's why I have very little hope for State. We're slow dancing in a burning room and nobody wants to even ackowledge the problem. I know how good State and Ole Miss has been has gone in cycles over the last 50 years. But those days are gone - it's a totally new landscape now. Oregon State probably made these same arguments 25 years ago (we will be fine!)
Yep, people get extremely militant when you bring up anything about our NIL not being up to par with other schools. People can't be objective, because Starkville is such a small place and everyone knows someone or is friends with them and they see it as a personal attack, when it's not. We're just tired of Mississippi State losing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll address two things:

Our um, friends, up North are absolutely leaving us in the dust right now. Not just with their football success on the field but with NIL and overall branding. I know we are trying, and I appreciate those involved, but we are not even in the same universe right now.
We may be trying, but we aren't doing branding the right way. We changed constantly for over 100 years, with nothing but failure. Now we're getting rid of our 20 year plus logo, which presided over our most successful athletic era ever, and we're sitting around wondering about branding?

I think we're all pretty much aware of the problem. We don't have the capacity to raise the money necessary to compete with our SEC peers - period, and we also don't have the sheer number of fans, rich or poor. I think the disagreements stem from how to mitigate those things.

ETA - The lack of unity from top to bottom of our fanbase, is what's so frustrating. I'm trying to think of anything that we are or were actually unified on - I guess it's maybe baseball support, and the M over S staying there. We seemed to be all-on on Mullen and everything we did back then for about 2 years (2009 and 2010), and even that support started eroding once we hit some choppy waters. I think most of that support was due to everyone just being sick of all things Croom/LT up to that point and just embracing any type of hope. I mean even Starkville and MSU still seem to be at odds over certain things. Thank God we are charter members of the SEC, and have the status that goes along with that. But we are much too small to have all these disagreements and not be pulling in the same direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawg84

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Man, I'm sure I'll be called names as well... but the OP and subsequent post nailed it.

My apologies to Charlie because he is a nice guy doing all he can but State just doesn't have the alumni support. I'm good friends with two alumni. Neither go to games or give a dime. In addition, Every time I run into a State fan in public, it is always "I haven't been to Starkville in....".

Also it is public record to see OMs collective is run by a team of lawyers, not just one guy.

However, with all that said, as was mentioned in the other thread. It isn't always about money. So you can't always blame the fans. The school has to do its part to get a coaching staff in here to believe in. States AD have to allocate more funds to recruiting. So that the NIL offers available are even a consideration for a recruit. Anyways....

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I recently became Elden Lord…..oh wait. Sorry. Misunderstood the topic.

soccerdad

Apr 16, 2019
Everyone, including the recent graduates needs to draft money into NIL each month. Just do without eating out one time and draft $50 a month. If we can get 1000 to do that it's $50,000 per month. My son went to the other school and they hammered them and all the seniors started signing up for $20, 25 and 40 a month. Everyone bitches but are you drafting each month?

widespreadgt

Sep 1, 2023
Everyone, including the recent graduates needs to draft money into NIL each month. Just do without eating out one time and draft $50 a month. If we can get 1000 to do that it's $50,000 per month. My son went to the other school and they hammered them and all the seniors started signing up for $20, 25 and 40 a month. Everyone bitches but are you drafting each month?
We don't think they're running it correctly, so why should we give money to it, we want to give money to a collective where someone is working 24/7 on it... like what's the case for many other schools.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
You are preaching pretty much the same stuff I was saying last year.

But this is a fanbase of “I buy my damn tickets… put something on the field” people. Apparently always will be.

it’s en vogue to run down Starkville when UM fans that rarely even go to Oxford glow about it like it’s streets are golden. They can’t wait to finally pay players legally when MSU fans are stuck in “we give em a damn scholarship. Play bawl!!” MSU fans and alumni are basically the dumbass “Hem” in “who moved my cheese”.

But don’t worry, the “I buy my damn tickets” crowd will be around in full force to gripe about getting skulldrug in SEC play.

Then in three or so years… the University and the fans will do the usual thing and get on board late and then slow walk it.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
The amount of small-to-midsize business owner millionaires that are MSU alums would surprise everyone on here. It’s equally surprising the amount of them that do not give a penny to MSU.

That’s the difference between State & OM.

I personally know two State grads that do very well financially. They will talk about the "ole Bulldogs" every time we see each other. But neither has been to a game or given a dime in probably 5 years. Why are our alumni so detached?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Gentleman, we need to call a meeting of the elders. If we do not get serious about the NIL, we are going to be left behind forever. I know this is not the first time to bring this up but if Saturday didn't show you we can't get the players we need, I don't know what will.

For those that don't know, Walker Jones is over The Grove Collective (NIL) for Ole Miss. You probably remember him as a player in the 90's. Walker not only has the Ole Miss connection as a player but he was also an executive at Under Armour for years. He signed Steph Curry and others to UA deals. He has the experience to run an organization that is built around brand awareness and raising big money. That's why they are so successful right now. He also has access to a private jet where he can fly NIL donors (or donors he is working) to home and away games. I encourage you to go look at their Instagram page. You will see tons of activity, they auction game used memorabilia to raise money, they sell custom Ole Miss Air Force 1's to raise money. Heck, they raised a ton of money one random day a couple of weeks ago to go play pickleball with Lane Kiffin. All of that was just the last two 2 weeks. They are constantly working to raise NIL funds and awareness - everyday! On the other hand, we have had 5 Instagram post in 5 months on our NIL page.

I give to the NIL. Not much, quite honestly I joined about 16 months ago out of sheer curiosity. I just wanted my name on a list so I could get an inside track on what's going on. When I do here from our NIL, it's a notification that my credit card was charged for the month, that's about it.

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, if we don't pay, we won't play. Period. Ole Miss understands this very well but I don't believe we have the fanbase that can stomach it. I don't see much of a path moving forward, we simply don't have the leadership or fans to make it happen.

Also, this is not an indictment of Charlie. I don't know him, he sounds like a smart guy, I'm sure he loves State. But for us to move forward we need a serious heavy hitter leading the NIL efforts.
This is a great post but unfortunately on this board it will mostly fall on deaf ears. Most on here just like to complain, but they don’t give a penny or attend football games. But by damn, they will be at Dudy noble on a cold weekend in February to watch us lose 2 out of 3 to Lipscomb because “we’re a baseball school”.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
You are preaching pretty much the same stuff I was saying last year.

But this is a fanbase of “I buy my damn tickets… put something on the field” people. Apparently always will be.

it’s en vogue to run down Starkville when UM fans that rarely even go to Oxford glow about it like it’s streets are golden. They can’t wait to finally pay players legally when MSU fans are stuck in “we give em a damn scholarship. Play bawl!!” MSU fans and alumni are basically the dumbass “Hem” in “who moved my cheese”.

But don’t worry, the “I buy my damn tickets” crowd will be around in full force to gripe about getting skulldrug in SEC play.

Then in three or so years… the University and the fans will do the usual thing and get on board late and then slow walk it.
I mean...yeah.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
This is a great post but unfortunately on this board it will mostly fall on deaf ears. Most on here just like to complain, but they don’t give a penny or attend football games. But by damn, they will be at Dudy noble on a cold weekend in February to watch us lose 2 out of 3 to Lipscomb because “we’re a baseball school”.
I'm trying to avoid the whole baseball thing. That's a whole other ball of wax.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Fully agree, but the first issue I see is that in order to start addressing the problem, you have to be able to admit that you have an NIl problem, and we’ve got a lot of people from administration to even T&L and posters on this board that think we’re “fine”.

We’re the college football equivalent of a guy that’s finally hit that 6 figure salary milestone only to realize that every neighbor on the block is now a millionaire. We’ll be “fine” with NIL when we start landing the guys we need to be competitive in this league, even it means having to overpay at times. Until then, it’s great that NIL has allowed us to keep guys like Hubbard, Dakota Jordan, and Will Rogers last season, but we’re not fine until we can do that AND actually recruit RBs, OL, and DL.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We don't think they're running it correctly, so why should we give money to it, we want to give money to a collective where someone is working 24/7 on it... like what's the case for many other schools.
Why do you think it's not being run correctly? It may not be dynamic and game-changing, but I also don't think it's necessarily doing anything wrong either. Bottom line it's just not big enough, and that's more on our fanbase. It's really on our AD and coaches to make sure it's spent wisely.

widespreadgt

Sep 1, 2023
Why do you think it's not being run correctly? It may not be dynamic and game-changing, but I also don't think it's necessarily doing anything wrong either. Bottom line it's just not big enough, and that's more on our fanbase. It's really on our AD and coaches to make sure it's spent wisely.
Because I know the guy that runs it does a million different things and other schools have people that make running their collective their full time job and it's literally impossible for him to do that.

It's being run like a high school booster club on the side, when it should be someone's 100% main focus.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I honestly think Baseball is the issue.

Impossible for us to compete at a high(er) level with NIL in all 3 main sports. Basketball is the cheapest due to sheer roster size and the fact that its a sport that actually makes money.

Weve gone all in on a baseball program. From coaches pay, to facilities, to NIL (although its now drifting towards the league average) while our football program hasnt gotten the same support.

Reactions: bulldoghair

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009

Send this to Selmon, seriously. He needs to know what’s going on out there.

Reactions: gtowndawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is a terrible excuse not to contribute. Whatever they’re doing, it’s better than nothing. If you don’t want to contribute, don’t contribute. But don’t make up some lame-a** excuse.

widespreadgt

Sep 1, 2023
This is a terrible excuse not to contribute. Whatever they’re doing, it’s better than nothing. If you don’t want to contribute, don’t contribute. But don’t make up some lame-a** excuse.
It's not an excuse, I don't trust them to run it or use my money effectively.

I was giving money until Fall of last year, and then stopped, because I lost confidence in them from doing some objective analysis and talking to others.

I won't give another dime, until the University takes it over or someone makes it their full time job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we have a ton of people that still don’t grasp the situation for what it is. This could turn into the Vaught era again if we don’t get our crap together ASAP. And it’s taking far too long for the wake up call to sink in.
I’m not so concerned about another Vaught era as I am another Shira era. BTW, this already is another Vaught era, at least the last decade of Vaught.

Reactions: Dawg84

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
Fully agree, but the first issue I see is that in order to start addressing the problem, you have to be able to admit that you have an NIl problem, and we’ve got a lot of people from administration to even T&L and posters on this board that think we’re “fine”.

We’re the college football equivalent of a guy that’s finally hit that 6 figure salary milestone only to realize that every neighbor on the block is now a millionaire. We’ll be “fine” with NIL when we start landing the guys we need to be competitive in this league, even it means having to overpay at times. Until then, it’s great that NIL has allowed us to keep guys like Hubbard, Dakota Jordan, and Will Rogers last season, but we’re not fine until we can do that AND actually recruit RBs, OL, and DL.
The gap between us and Ole Miss today is easily fixable. But we can't be standing around slow dancing in a burning room either. Let's acknowledge the problem, put a clear vision together so we can all get on board and pull in the same direction and we will be fine. But we have to start now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's not an excuse, I don't trust them to run it or use my money effectively.

I was giving money until Fall of last year, and then stopped, because I lost confidence in them from doing some objective analysis and talking to others.

I won't give another dime, until the University takes it over or someone makes it their full time job.
Agree with most of your post. But it’s still not an excuse not to contribute.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because I know the guy that runs it does a million different things and other schools have people that make running their collective their full time job and it's literally impossible for him to do that.

It's being run like a high school booster club on the side, when it should be someone's 100% main focus.
That's not their fault. Seems like we could hire a Walker Jones type too if we had enough money, have to pay the salary. But that's a question for Charlie.

Little known factoid, John Cohen was one of the ones that got the BI off the ground. It started under his watch. https://www.clarionledger.com/story...-cohen-nil-state-laws-collective/10062799002/

Bottom line is, many MSU fans just didn't like Cohen. They didn't like his outside the box thinking and his straightforward approach. The intense part of Intense Bastard. And that's fine, many times the people who put the truth right in front of your face and pave the way for future success are hated, because they do hard jobs and get beat up in the process.

So fast forward, and Selman is hired for fund raising, and he hasn't done it. He hasn't done anything except tow the party line with the new logo, which is also stupid. He hasn't brought back the interlocking either, which many here guaranteed would happen.

So many false narratives out there. Just constant bltching. Bottom line is, we have a small fanbase and money is harder to come by.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I honestly think Baseball is the issue.

Impossible for us to compete at a high(er) level with NIL in all 3 main sports. Basketball is the cheapest due to sheer roster size and the fact that its a sport that actually makes money.

Weve gone all in on a baseball program. From coaches pay, to facilities, to NIL (although its now drifting towards the league average) while our football program hasnt gotten the same support.
That's why we need a niche. And not just on offense, need one in NIL. I think we should literally just pay every player that same amount, but with maybe some sort of tiered system based on starts or playing time, etc. Or even by class, to encourage some not to transfer. And then on top of that, we need to connect the star players with ACTUAL NIL opportunities (not collectives).

I do NOT think we should take away NIL money from basketball and baseball. I think those should be the focus. We can compete at the highest levels there.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't think it is realistic to expect Mississippi State to compete directly with programs like Texas and Texas A&M at fundraising. Forget the Texas schools; we are behind schools like Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky, and South Carolina.

We need an X factor. We need to take risks. What can we elect to do that no one else (to my knowledge) is currently doing? Where is our first mover advantage?

I joined the Bulldog Initiative on November 25, 2022 (the day after the 2022 Egg Bowl). When I signed up, I included in my profile that I could offer my expertise* in something that I think could be an X factor for our NIL efforts: allocating a portion of the initiative's balance sheet to bitcoin for long-term accumulation. The price of bitcoin that day was $16,521.84.

You can throw things at me all you want, but when you're DFL, you must think outside the box. This type of strategy is not likely to first be implemented by Texas or Georgia. It's going to be implemented by someone with less to lose and more ground to make up. Texas and Georgia will follow after they see it work.

Other examples of thinking outside the box:
  • The United States didn't put bitcoin on the balance sheet. El Salvador did.
  • Apple didn't put bitcoin on the balance sheet. MicroStrategy did.
Are we the United States/Apple? Or are we El Salvador/MicroStrategy? The latter took a risk that didn't make sense to the big boys, and it paid off in a huge way.

*-When I say I can offer my expertise, I mean it is literally what I do for a living. I've helped entities, both larger and smaller than the Bulldog Initiative, allocate to bitcoin. It may sound crazy to you, but it's something I see every day.

Reactions: gtowndawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m not so concerned about another Vaught era as I am another Shira era. BTW, this already is another Vaught era, at least the last decade of Vaught.
That’s essentially what I meant, as Shira and Vaught coached at the same time for a few years. The fear is an era where we’re hopeless while our rival is at a high point. We’re arguably already there, but it could last a while if we don’t get to fixing things quick.

Reactions: Dawg84 and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The amount of small-to-midsize business owner millionaires that are MSU alums would surprise everyone on here. It’s equally surprising the amount of them that do not give a penny to MSU.

That’s the difference between State & OM.
I can assure you that OM totally dwarfs MSU in terms of millionaires, but I would expect the % of contributors from both schools to be roughly equal. They just have more money though, no two ways about it. Look no further than their out of state enrollment. Ole Miss decided 30-40 years ago that they wanted to target out of state students, because if they can afford to pay literally double the tuition, they can afford to do a lot more than that after graduation. Built a brand around being the party destination for kids who couldn’t get into the in state schools, and brought generations of kids in from just getting their foot in the door with one kid. Targeting kids who come from money has paid off for them, like it or not. They’ve also had 20-25% more in donations to their athletics department for several years running than we’ve had to the BDC, and all that is public info.

MSU, of course, continued down the people’s university path, targeting to maximize enrollment of MS kids, regardless of economic background. Noble as it may be, there’s just not a ton of money in Mississippi, and OM already has a pretty good share of what is there as well. So, we’re pretty much 30 years behind.

Bottom line, you’re not going to get anywhere trying to get MSU fans to “out-care” other fanbases per capita. Because we honestly don’t care any more or any less on average. There are just fewer of us that actually have the power to do anything. For every one of us who says “I don’t give much but at least I pump in $20 a month”, there are 25 Bama fans saying the same thing. And for every one of us that says “screw NIL, I’m not giving to that crap”, there are, again, 25 Bama fans ALSO saying that same thing, too.

Most of us with basic critical thinking skills can recognize that, regardless of who we root for, and realize that it’s just flushing money down the toilet for no real purpose. Even more still (like myself), no longer feel any sense of real attachment whatsoever to players who are only in it for the money, and therefore no longer get any real joy or sadness from the outcomes of games in that environment. Just like we don’t send a check to the Atlanta Braves or the Dallas Cowboys, we see no purpose in sending it into MSU’s NIL.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s essentially what I meant, as Shira and Vaught coached at the same time for a few years. The fear is an era where we’re hopeless while our rival is at a high point. We’re arguably already there, but it could last a while if we don’t get to fixing things quick.
I think we're dangerously close to digging ourselves into a hole that could take a decade to climb out of. If then. The lack of response or even caring from everyone from our administration (looking at you Selmon and Keenum) to our fanbase is concerning.

And just as I post this, this shows up in my Facebook feed. Perfect illustration of leadership in our athletic dept. & NIL program.
1725903756787.jpeg

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
That's why we need a niche. And not just on offense, need one in NIL. I think we should literally just pay every player that same amount, but with maybe some sort of tiered system based on starts or playing time, etc. Or even by class, to encourage some not to transfer. And then on top of that, we need to connect the star players with ACTUAL NIL opportunities (not collectives).

I do NOT think we should take away NIL money from basketball and baseball. I think those should be the focus. We can compete at the highest levels there.
I agree with that, Leach or Lebby could have done that. Get an identity, recruit for a system that leverages a talent deficit. Basically why Lech did for 20+ years at places that were historically very hard to compete and win at.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
If we want to be just like OM, gonna have to get some families prepared to adopt grown *** men. We will also have to explain to our daughters that "taking one for the team" includes them too.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login