A meeting of the elders - NIL

patdog

May 28, 2007
patdog said:
Honestly, I hope this happens. I hope we wind up in the 2nd tier with the rest of the SEC remnants, ACC remnants, Big 12 and a few AAC schools. We'd be much more competitive there.

Geez, our fans give up easy. We'd for sure be USM or UAB within a few years by leaving the SEC (which we'd never do).

Staying in the SEC, we'll at least have playoff chances in Basketball and Baseball. There'll likely be some type salary cap in football in the next few years, that will reign things in a little. We are a 7-5 (with a few 10 win and 3 win seasons sprinkled in) type program and that's what our expectations should be. We can still get back to that.
We would NOT be Southern Miss or UAB. Our conference schools would be something like this:
State
Mississippi
Arkansas
Missouri
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
UCF
South Carolina
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Cincinnati
Louisville

And we'd be competitive.

• Haha
Reactions: Myselfasiwillbe25

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I care, but I don't care about paying for Bulldog football more than giving to a host of other things. I'm not sure what it would take for me to seriously consider giving anything of substance to college football players, in general. Tack on free agency and it's even further away than it would be for me to consider that a good use of my money.
Undoubtedly the same feeling many others have. Or more specifically, the “3 years till “We are screwed and somebody should have done something” club.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
NIL came at the worst time for us. Guarantee you if NIL went into effect anytime between 2014-2017 we would be in damn good shape with donations.
I think that may just be an excuse. Kiffin came along at the same time Leach did, and again, after a down period with Matt Luke (and we had just come off the demoralizing error of Moorhead). Not to mention we had just won a national title about the same time NIL hit. Leach actually took full advantage of the portal.

I blame our short-sighted fanbase for not getting behind Leach. I mean he played two competitive games with Kiffin then beat him. He would have won the Egg last year too, so it's not like the programs were worlds apart at the end of last year.

They are now, though.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
Unpopular opinion: Once revenue sharing, increased scholarship limits, and school sponsored NILs are fully in place, NIL will mean less and collectives will begin fading away.
I don't think that is unpopular at all. I think most every sane person hopes that happens. But in the meantime, we need to get up to speed and do what the other big dawgs (no pun intended) are doing. Prepare for the worse, hope for the best type thing.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Fully agree, but the first issue I see is that in order to start addressing the problem, you have to be able to admit that you have an NIl problem, and we’ve got a lot of people from administration to even T&L and posters on this board that think we’re “fine”.

We’re the college football equivalent of a guy that’s finally hit that 6 figure salary milestone only to realize that every neighbor on the block is now a millionaire. We’ll be “fine” with NIL when we start landing the guys we need to be competitive in this league, even it means having to overpay at times. Until then, it’s great that NIL has allowed us to keep guys like Hubbard, Dakota Jordan, and Will Rogers last season, but we’re not fine until we can do that AND actually recruit RBs, OL, and DL.
I know absolutely NOTHING about our NIL and how it is run, how rich it is, etc. Is it because I don't give that I don't have the, seemingly, insider insight that these other posters have about how poorly it is being run? Are they all just full of it because they are sad that Ole Miss' program is currently on sounder footing? I would argue that coaching deaths, bad decisions, and changes in general are to blame for the current disparity in the programs (both real and imagined) to a much greater extent than NIL.

I don't see one ounce of difference between how we've risen in the past when Ole Miss is in turmoil and how they've done the same. We could be on the cusp of them truly eclipsing us like never before, but I'm not a believer yet, nor do I have any better way of knowing that than most others.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Undoubtedly the same feeling many others have. Or more specifically, the “3 years till “We are screwed and somebody should have done something” club.
I'm old. We've been "surpassed" so many times by Ole Miss in my lifetime that I can't count them. Yet over that same lifetime, we've been arguably better and demonstrably no worse than equal to them.

ETA:
Heart Attack Funny Gif

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
NIL and the transfer portal is going to kill the Group of 5. The question is how does it affect the Power 4.
Nah, not in football. You have small schools trying to come from FCS to G5 every year. I bet hardly any of those schools are paying much NIL, and they don't care. They just want some TV money. And now that the playoff gives them a shot, they don't care at all.....at least they have a shot.

However, it WILL kill a lot of the non-revenue sports. All these schools are making conscious decisions to invest in football and divest in non-revenue. The only place the non-revenue stuff may survive is where the boosters pay for it. The collectives will take the place of the subsidies.

That's how this works. I'd bet my life savings this happens, with the playoff ultimately expanding one day. I don't think you see a split of P5 and G5. But the G5 will certainly continue to act as a feeder system for the P4.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think that may just be an excuse. Kiffin came along at the same time Leach did, and again, after a down period with Matt Luke (and we had just come off the demoralizing error of Moorhead). Not to mention we had just won a national title about the same time NIL hit. Leach actually took full advantage of the portal.

I blame our short-sighted fanbase for not getting behind Leach. I mean he played two competitive games with Kiffin then beat him. He would have won the Egg last year too, so it's not like the programs were worlds apart at the end of last year.

They are now, though.
Kiffin was running circles around leach and would have continued to both on the field and the recrutiting trail. I know your a leach homer, but there is no way we were catching Ole Miss. Ole Miss made the hire we should have made and we've been slipping ever since

Last edited:
Reactions: jacksondawg20

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
I care, but I don't care about paying for Bulldog football more than giving to a host of other things. I'm not sure what it would take for me to seriously consider giving anything of substance to college football players, in general. Tack on free agency and it's even further away than it would be for me to consider that a good use of my money.
You know the answer to this? Seriously? The NIL needs to show people the funds are being used to help all of us enjoy success on the field and off the field. Right now, many of us are sort of clueless how the money is used. As I said, I've been giving for a while and I have no idea what's going on. It's crazy that I know more about what Ole Miss does than I do about State. But if you give to St. Jude you want to see how that money is helping AND how even more money would REALLY help.

Case in point, even if you give $100 to the Bulldog Club you get a tag for your car, a sticker for your car, a Christmas ornament, a cool package that comes in the mail. It makes you feel like a part of the club, literally and it makes you want to stay in the club. It's a perceived value.

Reactions: patdog and Maroon13

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Nah, not in football. You have small schools trying to come from FCS to G5 every year. I bet hardly any of those schools are paying much NIL, and they don't care. They just want some TV money. And now that the playoff gives them a shot, they don't care at all.....at least they have a shot.

However, it WILL kill a lot of the non-revenue sports. All these schools are making conscious decisions to invest in football and divest in non-revenue. The only place the non-revenue stuff may survive is where the boosters pay for it. The collectives will take the place of the subsidies.

That's how this works. I'd bet my life savings this happens, with the playoff ultimately expanding one day. I don't think you see a split of P5 and G5. But the G5 will certainly continue to act as a feeder system for the P4.
this is true. Everyone wants in, not out... because of football and money.

It'll eventually kill the smaller sports unless something changes. People will start to see that this year. I mean youve got west coast teams in the ACC. That means the stanford volleyball team will have to travel to duke on a tues night to play volleyball and all the other minor sports. It'll keep snowballing.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
We would NOT be Southern Miss or UAB. Our conference schools would be something like this:
State
Mississippi
Arkansas
Missouri
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
UCF
South Carolina
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Cincinnati
Louisville

And we'd be competitive.
No, our conference schools would be USM, Troy, and Arkansas State. We hit the lottery being a charter member of the SEC. We bring zero value to anyone as far as tv revenue or anything else goes.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm old. We've been "surpassed" so many times by Ole Miss in my lifetime that I can't count them. Yet over that same lifetime, we've been arguably better and demonstrably no worse than equal to them.

ETA:
Heart Attack Funny Gif
You're burying your head in the sand. I've been around a while too, and I've seen all the times they've "passed us by" in the past. But I can also see that this time is different. Completely different. But 17 them. I really don't care all that much. What concerns me is how far we're falling and how quickly. And how nothing is being done about it. We're in a once in a lifetime complete paradigm change for college sports and are doing next to nothing about it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly, I hope this happens. I hope we wind up in the 2nd tier with the rest of the SEC remnants, ACC remnants, Big 12 and a few AAC schools. We'd be much more competitive there.
I don't think we would be competitive after the first few years. We may have some success early on because of some legacy branding and talent that didn't transfer. The problem is that we're still in Mississippi and without the SEC revenue sharing, our prospective talent pool would will be at the bottom half of the G5 within a decade.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Kiffin was running circles around leach and would have continued to both on the field and the recrutiting trail. I know your a leach homer, but there is no way Ole Miss made the hire we should have made and we've been slipping ever since
Lost 31-24 in Oxford;
Lost 31-21 in Starkville and everyone that was there knew that was a closer game than that;
Won 24-22 in Oxford;

WTF are you talking about? After that 2022 Egg Bowl, literally nobody thought anything about being left behind. We had top 30 classes too.

Reactions: Dawgg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You're burying your head in the sand. I've been around a while too, and I've seen all the times they've "passed us by" in the past. But I can also see that this time is different. Completely different. But 17 them. I really don't care all that much. What concerns me is how far we're falling and how quickly. And how nothing is being done about it. We're in a once in a lifetime complete paradigm change for college sports and are doing next to nothing about it.
You could be right. Past results in no indicator of future performance. I will be Missouri on this one. It'll be a few years before anybody really knows, but I may be the dubmass and this could be the death nail.

Reactions: Dawgg

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023

They are now, though.
You don’t think donations would be pouring in coming off 2014 season compared to now? Fan support and enthusiasm was at an all time high. Since the disappointing 2018 season and then the coach and face of the program dying suddenly culminating in what we saw last year. The energy of the program drained.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You know the answer to this? Seriously? The NIL needs to show people the funds are being used to help all of us enjoy success on the field and off the field. Right now, many of us are sort of clueless how the money is used. As I said, I've been giving for a while and I have no idea what's going on. It's crazy that I know more about what Ole Miss does than I do about State. But if you give to St. Jude you want to see how that money is helping AND how even more money would REALLY help.

Case in point, even if you give $100 to the Bulldog Club you get a tag for your car, a sticker for your car, a Christmas ornament, a cool package that comes in the mail. It makes you feel like a part of the club, literally and it makes you want to stay in the club. It's a perceived value.
In this case, I fear that transparency might make it even worse. Imagine knowing that your money when to Recruit A who took it, took a year of on the field training, and took off to another SEC school. At least without transparency, I could pretend my money stayed with the people who had a positive impact on my football team. Being semi-facetious...

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lost 31-24 in Oxford;
Lost 31-21 in Starkville and everyone that was there knew that was a closer game than that;
Won 24-22 in Oxford;

WTF are you talking about? After that 2022 Egg Bowl, literally nobody thought anything about being left behind.
Dude. Its a rivalry game. Auburn plays Alabama close every year, but are the programs really that close?

Ole Miss and Kiffin already had a NY6 bowl game apperance, had reach the top 10 in the polls, and was recruiting at a high level. We had a 3 win season and barely made a bowl game in year 2.

Again... Kiffin was running circles around leach is every aspect. On the field and running a program. The gap was already starting to widen. We hired the wrong guy.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
State
Mississippi
Arkansas
Missouri
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
UCF
South Carolina
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Cincinnati
Louisville

And we'd be competitive.
What is this list? This is a pipe dream. Mizzou & OM are currently projected to make the playoff, if that happens it’s tough to think SEC schools committed to football and recent success would be relegated. Same with a school like Kentucky who has a ton of money. That would leave us playing schools like UCF, Wake Forest, and Duke. I couldn’t be more bored and apathetic.

Reactions: BevinBrown

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What is this list? This is a pipe dream. Mizzou & OM are currently projected to make the playoff, if that happens it’s tough to think SEC schools committed to football and recent success would be relegated. Same with a school like Kentucky who has a ton of money. That would leave us playing schools like UCF, Wake Forest, and Duke. I couldn’t be more bored and apathetic.
Agree. I would add Arkansas to that mix. They'd definitely stay.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I'm old. We've been "surpassed" so many times by Ole Miss in my lifetime that I can't count them. Yet over that same lifetime, we've been arguably better and demonstrably no worse

The absolute match to “Hem”, if there ever was one, in the book I referenced earlier. Returning every day to Section C. Even right down to “too old”.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
NIL and the transfer portal is going to kill the Group of 5. The question is how does it affect the Power 4.

Best case scenario for State would be that the ACC and Big 12 survive and "Major College Sports" revolve around the Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and SEC. The ACC is in shambles and the Big 12 is a house of cards at this very moment.

If we go to two power conferences, the next step is to go to a Super League. I have long thought that schools like Mississippi State would remain members of the SEC in all sports, but there would be 24-32 teams that would play in a Super League. If we are completely honest with ourselves, we don't stand a chance of making that Super League unless it goes to 40, and we are even on the fence then.

We are 40th in revenue at $110 million. We are 32nd in TV viewership (if you throw out games against Georgia and Alabama, we drop to 50th).

There are at least two schools below us in revenue that would definitely be included before us (UCLA and Colorado).

Ole Miss is sweating on this as well. The networks supposedly want 24 teams. Ole Miss would be on the fence there. If they go with a 32 team Super League, Ole Miss is probably safely in and State is definitely out.
Don't fall for those click bait articles, there are easy to write "low hanging fruit."

There are already two power conferences and they aren't going anywhere. Do you really think FOX and ESPN, who have gone in heavily on CFB, want games to have less interest and fewer viewers? ASU, MSU, WSU, etc fans watch CFB all day on Saturdays, even though we know our programs have no shot at the playoffs, take those mid/lower tier P4 teams away and CFB viewership drops, this is the opposite of what networks want.

The Big 10 and SEC will not combine for a super league, that's not how wielding power works (you think the president of UGA wants to share power with the president of TOSU?). These two leagues will stay intact and possibility add a team or two. Any left over ACC/BIG 12 teams may need to worry, they will likely still have a seat at the table, but everything will be stacked against them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The absolute match to “Hem”, if there ever was one, in the book I referenced earlier. Returning every day to Section C. Even right down to “too old”.
So far, my lack of panic over them surpassing us is undefeated. I'll take the "L" if this really is the time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dude. Its a rivalry game. Auburn plays Alabama close every year, but are the programs really that close?

Ole Miss and Kiffin already had a NY6 bowl game apperance, had reach the top 10 in the polls, and was recruiting at a high level. We had a 3 win season and barely made a bowl game in year 2.

Again... Kiffin was running circles around leach is every aspect. On the field and running a program. The gap was already starting to widen. We hired the wrong guy.
What??? They were 4-5 and we were 3-7 in 2020. Only difference was they beat us at home. They'd have been 4-6 had they played aTm. They also lost to the LSU team we beat. In 2021 and 2022, it is WELL known that they played a much easier schedule than us. In 2021 we beat an Auburn team that beat them, and they barely beat Arkansas who barely beat us. 2022, get real.

This is totally made up in your head. We also finished higher than them in recruiting in 2020 and 2022. Recruiting was basically where it's always been until this season.

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009
I'm happy to do that, but if I know these kinds of details about what Ole Miss is doing with their collective, surely he does. Right?
Well you can make that assumption, but I wouldn’t. The fact that we aren’t doing hack actually suggests that he/they very well may not be aware what others are doing, and thus is why they need to be informed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Big 10 and SEC will not combine for a super league, that's not how wielding power works (you think the president of UGA wants to share power with the president of TOSU?). These two leagues will stay intact and possibility add a team or two. Any left over ACC/BIG 12 teams may need to worry, they will likely still have a seat at the table, but everything will be stacked against them.
I think what we'll eventually wind up with is an uneasy, loose "alliance" between the SEC and Big 10. This has already started with the Joint Advisory Committee announced earlier this year. But it won't be anything remotely like a merger between the two.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Also, people don't understand how fundraising and designated gifts work. Let's say BI sets the budget at $5,000,000 for football and $1,000,000 for baseball, and really would like to allocate more to football but just don't have it. Jimmy is a huge baseball fan, so he makes a $10,000 gift donated to baseball. You don't increase the baseball budget to $1,010,000. What you do is decrease your unrestricted gifts allocated to baseball by $10,000 and increase the football budget to $5,010,000.
This is a man who understands how it works. Well said.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Lost 31-24 in Oxford;
Won 24-22 in Oxford;

WTF are you talking about? After that 2022 Egg Bowl, literally nobody thought anything about being left behind. We had top 30 classes too.
The Kiffin low water mark for a 12 game regular season (8-4 in 2022) is our high water mark in the last decade.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I would have valued a win over Ole Miss more, though*********

(Just kidding. You make good points about inclusion and transparency)

patdog

May 28, 2007

The lack of communication and any semblance of marketing or fundraising is pretty amazing. We really are not even trying.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
My heart just jumped into my throat when I saw the topic heading, then I was like, "Oh, he's not talking about my elders."
Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

Reactions: dorndawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think what we'll eventually wind up with is an uneasy, loose "alliance" between the SEC and Big 10. This has already started with the Joint Advisory Committee announced earlier this year. But it won't be anything remotely like a merger between the two.
of course, they are already in an alliance. All the current Big 10/SEC teams are staying and they may add a few more. For the SEC, UNC would be the ultimate prize, I don't know if Clemson brings any thing to the table, FSU possibility just based on FL's population.

In a few years when the new playoff format comes out (16 teams) look for automatic bids to Big 12/ACC/G5 to decrease or at least have more stipulations.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What??? They were 4-5 and we were 3-7 in 2020. Only difference was they beat us at home. They'd have been 4-6 had they played aTm. They also lost to the LSU team we beat. In 2021 and 2022, it is WELL known that they played a much easier schedule than us. In 2021 we beat an Auburn team that beat them, and they barely beat Arkansas who barely beat us. 2022, get real.

This is totally made up in your head. We also finished higher than them in recruiting in 2020 and 2022. Recruiting was basically where it's always been until this season.
Again a leach homer. You’re making zero sense. Their program under kiffin was ahead and expanding its lead. Again they went to a ny6 bowl, ranked in top 10. I could care less who beat this team that beat that team that lost to this other team… those arguments make zero sense.

in 3 years. Kiffin was 2-1 against us. Had his program ranked yearly, inside the top 10 at times. Ny6 bowls. National spotlight. All things we were never close too and have never been close to. The comparison bt what kiffin did for ole miss and what leach did for us isn’t even remotely close

Reactions: BevinBrown

was21

May 29, 2007
MSU has plenty of millionaires to be competitive. But please continue this pathetic, “we’re so poor. We’ll never have as much as mighty ole miss!”

The Bishops donated $100million last year to MSU which was the largest academic donation in Mississippi higher education history. But please continue to live in your sad, excuse filled world as to why we can’t compete.

We need better leadership.
...and not a dime of the $100 mil for athletics. That's one big difference between State and OM donors.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
...and not a dime of the $100 mil for athletics. That's one big difference between State and OM donors.
Is it a difference though? It's not like they don't get academic dollars as well. And their endowment is more than $100m more than ours.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login