A meeting of the elders - NIL

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
My apologies if I am a little late to the party on this one. (For that matter, I might not even be invited to this party as an avid reader rather than an elder, but I thought I would make a run at chiming in with a few things.) Overall, there are several things I agree with strongly in this thread, and I thought I would comment on a few of those and maybe give some reason for optimism.

Over the past few months, the commitment from our Athletic Department to support NIL efforts, in all their forms, has increased greatly. Over the past several years, they have allowed The Bulldog Initiative to be marketed on the video boards and have helped in other ways, but they have now scaled out a full team to support the growth of NIL opportunities for MSU athletes, both through BDI and otherwise. Some of this is shown through the recent launch of https://hailstate.com/feature/nil. It is no secret that NIL efforts will very likely be moving increasingly (although not exclusively) in-house across the country. If and when that happens, MSU will be fortunate to have laid significant groundwork and to have built an experienced team (as shown on the website) with background of working with NIL issues at several other schools. I know we are already benefiting from that experience.

Someone made a very good point about needing to be more engaged on Instagram – duly noted; I think we had become too X focused. Otherwise, I think people have seen and will continue to see our athletes increasingly engaged and more active, whether signing autographs before the football games, or creating video content in connection with our corporate sponsors. There are many more of these to come as we work to grow the corporate sponsor base (added one more last night).

The lead post in the thread emphasized a need for urgency, and I couldn’t agree more. I do believe we will be well-positioned to compete, both in terms of retaining our roster and attracting new talent, when the next signing date / portal opens in December. We have been working almost every day (likely too much in the dark) in one-on-one meetings. Views on NIL are still what they are, and that can be quite challenging, but we are making progress. People can differ, and the recent loss at Arizona State certainly overshadows things, but I think we added some talented players, particularly on offense, during the last portal cycle. But, we have to continue to be positioned to infuse more talent. Although I know there is some dispute about what sports should be valued, I am also hopeful that the work in the basketball portal will give us an exciting winter and early spring.

I wont argue with anyone that thinks BDI would benefit from somebody else leading the charge. (If I get my way, there may even be some good news on that before too long.) In the meantime, I am going to do everything I can to keep fighting the good fight and to be responsive to suggestions, where we can. As I’ve said here before, I am happy to talk and to discuss what we are doing; I am just leery of doing those things on public message boards. If you want to sit down, shoot me a message - I will even meet up with you to talk in person tomorrow morning, or this Sunday morning or afternoon if you are going to be in town. If not, I’m happy to do it next weekend. Although there are a few comments that I believe to be off-base and unfair, I recognize that most of the input just comes from wanting to win and frustration of losing. Me too.

In closing, I think it is safe to say that we are throwing more elbows than some would know. Yeah, I know the vague references won’t gain me any cred here, but there isn’t much to be gained from trying to prove it. Come sit down with me, though - I’m happy to talk. I will buy the coffee, and even bring the stickers, hats, or t-shirts.

Last edited:

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
I see a lot of “haven’t been to Starkville and haven’t given In awhile.”comments. Why don’t yall take the charge? Stand up to Seldon. I honestly don’t think he’s done the university any favors since being hired. Hired somebody from here and knows Mississippi state. I think the answer to the situation is in Winston Salem. 🤷‍♂️

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
MSU has plenty of millionaires to be competitive. But please continue this pathetic, “we’re so poor. We’ll never have as much as mighty ole miss!”

The Bishops donated $100million last year to MSU which was the largest academic donation in Mississippi higher education history. But please continue to live in your sad, excuse filled world as to why we can’t compete.

We need better leadership.
$100 million only to academics? So $80 million to academics and $20 million to athletics couldn't be arranged? The amount of money given to the Blue Bloods athletics program has been multiplied many times over in academic enrollment, physical plant, and prestige. Regular students don't attend Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia for their prestigious Academic Standing!

Reactions: jacksondawg20

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Our HS & transfer recruiting rankings tell us all we need to know about our NIL funding & how much we’re offering recruits.
I think that’s being overly simplistic. It’s possible that these guys aren’t recruiting very well in addition to being short on cash. Again, nobody knows what the numbers are and that’s what bothers me the most. We have transparency and oversight for coaches salaries and everything else in the institution except NIL. Something stinks.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Kiffin was running circles around leach and would have continued to both on the field and the recrutiting trail. I know your a leach homer, but there is no way we were catching Ole Miss. Ole Miss made the hire we should have made and we've been slipping ever since
They made the "type" of hire State should have made. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking our leadership was willing to Over Pay by Double to get such a coach. After All, State got a very established and well known twilight coach, not once, but twice, relatively on the cheap in out of coaching Sherrill and out of place Leach, the latter being the 9th or 10th highest paid coach in a conference of 14 teams when hired.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Im coming to the conclusion huntdawg is not very bright. Leach beat lane, finished the year ranked higher then died.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
2 things.
1st Missouri, essentially the only program in a state larger than ours, was foundering near the bottom of the Big 12. Joined the SEC. And the money started rolling in. They go out and hire an up and coming coach, don't run him off after and couple of so so years, and now it is paying off big time. They will have to pay big to keep him. State probably had a chance to offer him with some promises, but didn't.

second, the separation between State and Ole Miss was Created in the Vaught (17-1-1) years before the Black Athletes were allowed to even play. Take out all the off the field forfeits and vacated wins for both programs, and the rest of the time is essentially a dead heat..... until..... NIL and the Portal. Ole Miss no longer has to cheat to stay competitive. They found their coach who could win over young girls and football donors without those donors having to sacrifice their sorority daughters at the alter of the almighty football mantle, and were more than happy to write checks instead!

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
If you really want to get down to the divergence in programs it comes down to two things 1) administrative level decision making and incompetence. 2) monetary funding and backing.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
My apologies if I am a little late to the party on this one. (For that matter, I might not even be invited to this party as an avid reader rather than an elder, but I thought I would make a run at chiming in with a few things.) Overall, there are several things I agree with strongly in this thread, and I thought I would comment on a few of those and maybe give some reason for optimism.

Over the past few months, the commitment from our Athletic Department to support NIL efforts, in all their forms, has increased greatly. Over the past several years, they have allowed The Bulldog Initiative to be marketed on the video boards and have helped in other ways, but they have now scaled out a full team to support the growth of NIL opportunities for MSU athletes, both through BDI and otherwise. Some of this is shown through the recent launch of https://hailstate.com/feature/nil. It is no secret that NIL efforts will very likely be moving increasingly (although not exclusively) in-house across the country. If and when that happens, MSU will be fortunate to have laid significant groundwork and to have built an experienced team (as shown on the website) with background of working with NIL issues at several other schools. I know we are already benefiting from that experience.

Someone made a very good point about needing to be more engaged on Instagram – duly noted; I think we had become too X focused. Otherwise, I think people have seen and will continue to see our athletes increasingly engaged and more active, whether signing autographs before the football games, or creating video content in connection with our corporate sponsors. There are many more of these to come as we work to grow the corporate sponsor base (added one more last night).

The lead post in the thread emphasized a need for urgency, and I couldn’t agree more. I do believe we will be well-positioned to compete, both in terms of retaining our roster and attracting new talent, when the next signing date / portal opens in December. We have been working almost every day (likely too much in the dark) in one-on-one meetings. Views on NIL are still what they are, and that can be quite challenging, but we are making progress. People can differ, and the recent loss at Arizona State certainly overshadows things, but I think we added some talented players, particularly on offense, during the last portal cycle. But, we have to continue to be positioned to infuse more talent. Although I know there is some dispute about what sports should be valued, I am also hopeful that the work in the basketball portal will give us an exciting winter and early spring.

I wont argue with anyone that thinks BDI would benefit from somebody else leading the charge. (If I get my way, there may even be some good news on that before too long.) In the meantime, I am going to do everything I can to keep fighting the good fight and to be responsive to suggestions, where we can. As I’ve said here before, I am happy to talk and to discuss what we are doing; I am just leery of doing those things on public message boards. If you want to sit down, shoot me a message - I will even meet up with you to talk in person tomorrow morning, or this Sunday morning or afternoon if you are going to be in town. If not, I’m happy to do it next weekend. Although there are a few comments that I believe to be off-base and unfair, I recognize that most of the input just comes from wanting to win and frustration of losing. Me too.

In closing, I think it is safe to say that we are throwing more elbows than some would know. Yeah, I know the vague references won’t gain me any cred here, but there isn’t much to be gained from trying to prove it. Come sit down with me, though - I’m happy to talk. I will buy the coffee, and even bring the stickers, hats, or t-shirts.
Thank you Charlie for all you are doing and have done! Some on here just refuse to believe that we are working and moving forward and in the right direction with the BDI!
Ny hope is that everyone reads this and that they do make an effort to join the BDI!

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Im coming to the conclusion huntdawg is not very bright. Leach beat lane, finished the year ranked higher then died.
This from the guy that thinks Toledo is returning their entire defense. When it lost its entire starting secondary, best dl, and sack leader from last year.

when You spout things like that… then double down on it… your opinion has zero credibility

• Haha
Reactions: 85Bears
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login