E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!! Birds - Falcons game thread

Dec 14, 2021
Hmmm. It's amazing what a little bit of pressure can do. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Fangio hiring will come back to bite them. Sirianni will be looking at a warmer seat very soon. @ New Orleans followed by @ Tampa Bay next 2 weeks.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
The HC job is minimize risk. No need to put SB in that situation. Yes if he makes the play, game over. Otoh if you just run the ball and kick the fg, 40 secs would have gone off the clock. There wouldn’t be enough time if the D plays a little

Reactions: bbrown and Psu00

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
The younger generation of coaches puts too much emphasis on “metrics” and not enough emphasis on common sense. Take the 3 early in the game OR bleed the clock late…just one of those common sense decisions changes tonight’s outcome.
Agreed. Mike Tomlin overthinks everything.

Phlebitis

Oct 25, 2021
The younger generation of coaches puts too much emphasis on “metrics” and not enough emphasis on common sense. Take the 3 early in the game OR bleed the clock late…just one of those common sense decisions changes tonight’s outcome.
That is a bullseye.

stater02

Jan 17, 2022
Fangio sucks. Never thought he was the right hire. Should’ve brought in Vrabel.

Nick will be gone after this year. Belichick is a strong possibility if he is willing to just coach and not take on GM duties. That’s a big “if”.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
People always remember when taking a risk costs a team the game and never remember when it wins them a game. Or a super bowl if you are doug Pederson.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I will never understand why coaches do it. Allows average QBs to quickly march down field.

Yep. We see it every year where the prevent D allows a team, (that was otherwise held in check), to march right down the field. And yet D coordinators continue to do it over and over.

The same team that prides itself on being aggressive on the offensive side of the ball, turtles up in fear on the D side out of concern of being burned for a score. However, that choice actually allows the other team to go straight down the field and score.

It’s so frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Grant Green

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

Brutal honesty there. This D is abysmal and there’s no personnel help on the way. Their top picks looks lost and their vets often look the same.

I wonder how long Fangio has if this isn’t corrected soon? Last year’s coordinators didn’t have much slack.

I fear 1-2 after Sunday and a season rapidly in risk of repeating last year’s collapse. It may be for the better as this team is getting worse by the week under Siriani.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Absolutely stupid not to kick the FG early in the game. I think these coaches should put the analytics where the sun doesn’t shine.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Absolutely stupid not to kick the FG early in the game. I think these coaches should put the analytics where the sun doesn’t shine.
A big part of the problem is that Nick and Moore call games as if they still have a solid defense. They don't and just can't allow teams to hang around like they did last night.

What I don't understand is that they went for it early and then kicked a FG late. Why not go a second time when the odds are that you'll convert on one of them? Two FGs win the game but an extra four points does too. There just isn't a cohesive feel to how this staff calls games.

Reactions: bbrown and LionJim

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
A big part of the problem is that Nick and Moore call games as if they still have a solid defense. They don't and just can't allow teams to hang around like they did last night.

What I don't understand is that they went for it early and then kicked a FG late. Why not go a second time when the odds are that you'll convert on one of them? Two FGs win the game but an extra four points does too. There just isn't a cohesive feel to how this staff calls games.
why didnt they go for it late? because they would throw an incomplete pass. WTF won a game this week kicking 7!!! field goals!! Take the points, ever chance you get!

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
What I don't understand is that they went for it early and then kicked a FG late. Why not go a second time when the odds are that you'll convert on one of them? Two FGs win the game but an extra four points does too.
Finally an intelligent comment about going for it. I was thinking the same. The numbers couldn't have been that different between the two situations. Why go for it once and not the second time? As you said, scoring a TD on just one of the two drives wins the game. I don't know what the eagles analytics said about the pct chance to win (maybe it was wrong, maybe it was right) , but to blindly say it was dumb, or the classic "take the points" is foolish.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
The thing that people miss with the going for it (rather than settling for a FG) deep is the field position. Take the 3 points, and you're giving the other team the ball at the ~30 now. Go for it, and you're gaining 25+ yards of field position in that spot. Those 25 yards don't directly impact the scoreboard, but they certainly have an impact and are very much factored into the analytics that they are using to make their decisions. I thought going for it early was the right call.

Latest posts