I can't believe I am asking this but is Lemonis's "hot seat" next year...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I can't believe I am asking this but is Lemonis's "hot seat" next year...

now different? If State follows up next season with a year like this past one - is it possible the unrest will be heightened more because of the Ole Miss championship? I think the national championship changed things for expectations for next season. I thought Lemonis could survive another bad year but I'm not sure now.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I think it started when they won the Super then ramped up during their run, now it’s about a 7 out of 10. Depending on how recruiting goes, I think at least assistants start season on a 3.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Absolutely, it put more pressure on the situation. I went from "meh, we will see what next year brings" to full on aggravation. I can't be the only one.

The only thing that makes it bearable is that we won it all last year. If they had won it before us it would be meltdown time.

I am also frustrated watching all these other teams racking up on portal talent. We are easily a top 10 college baseball school, and should be an easy sell. I just don't understand what is going on. We are to college baseball what Texas, Georgia, Ohio State etc. is to college football. We should have more than 3 portal pickups. Read the room coaches, we need something to feel good about right now. Throw us a bone.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Hell no. Anyone that thinks that Lemonis is on the hot seat is ridiculous.

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Absolutely, it put more pressure on the situation. I went from "meh, we will see what next year brings" to full on aggravation. I can't be the only one.

The only thing that makes it bearable is that we won it all last year. If they had won it before us it would be meltdown time.

I am also frustrated watching all these other teams racking up on portal talent. We are easily a top 10 college baseball school, and should be an easy sell. I just don't understand what is going on. We are to college baseball what Texas, Georgia, Ohio State etc. is to college football. We should have more than 3 portal pickups. Read the room coaches, we need something to feel good about right now. Throw us a bone.
It's essentially NIL $$$ from what I am hearing. You could go make $20k in the minors and ride ****** buses and stay in ****** hotels. Or make 20K in college and be treated like a king. Just depends on when you want to start the clock.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It should be unchanged from what it was before. I know that isn't possible with the twitter fueled enraged online mob these days, but it is what it is.

patdog

May 28, 2007
His seat definitely got a little hotter yesterday. Don't think it's going to make much difference though. He'll either show improvement next year or the next coach will show improvement in 2024.

Last edited:

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Surely you can admit that you are a little more pissy about our situation now vs if our instate rival had not just won a national championship.

I am not being a mad twitter mob person. I am just saying this ramps up the frustration. it just does.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
So if we finish last in the west 2 years in a row and don’t make the SEC Tournament, how can he not be on the hot seat? We are at Polk2 2008 talent compared to everyone else right now.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I do think we’ll be better next year and it’s probably a moot point. Maybe not national title better but I expect us to be back in the postseason. And even if we have another bad year I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where Cohen doesn’t give him one more chance in 2024. Cohen’s own coaching background just totally contradicts any notion that we would have a quick trigger with Lemonis.

I think it’s far more likely than not that 2022 was an aberration and we go back to being consistently good and occasionally great under Lemonis from here on out.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
The expectation is to win at a high level every year at State. I don't think what another program does should affect that expectation.

Don't fall into the UM trap of wanting your coach gone because the rival has more success - when you have a really good coach. UM finally after 22 years had it all come together for an amazing run. It was the complete opposite of how their seasons have typically turned out with a flameout at the end. Their anomaly should not do more than irritate us that they have reason to be happy.

What will get Lemonis on the hot seat would be another 26-30 and 9-21 year. Those sorts of results should put you on the hot seat. Injuries to multiple pitchers had a ton to do with that this year. Another season like it and the seat will be scorching hot. I don't think that will happen. But, if it does, then the seat will be extremely hot - based on our results, not UM's.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Most fans/six-packers think his seat got much warmer yesterday but I highly doubt John Cohen thinks that unfortunately.
I’m not sure even Lemonis thinks his seat warmed up a few degrees yesterday.
I do think next year for MSU baseball, a Regional Host is a minimalistic expectation and a Super, whether we host or not is probably a minimalistic expectation now.
We better get back to Omaha within the next year to 3 years I do know that!!
Auburn went from losing record to Omaha and we better be damn close or going again real soon.
Absolutely no reason we shouldn’t be in the Hosting conversation EVERY year!
That means Top 10-16 EVERY year and should be a Top 8 seed consistently!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What have you seen that points to us being "better next year" and getting "back in the postseason"?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mostly agree. But you can't compare the situation Cohen stepped into with the one Lemonis stepped into. Yes, we had a coaching carousel for a few years, but he didn't have to undo 6 years of recruiting neglect like Cohen did. Cohen has had a quick hook with coaches who aren't performing, and I don't think that will change if 2023 is a repeat of this year.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Scenario: We miss post-season play again, and Ole Miss makes it to Omaha again.

Is there any way Lemonis's seat ISN'T hot?

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
What have you seen that points to us being "better next year" and getting "back in the postseason"?

Because it would be almost impossible for us to be worse? I can’t imagine a scenario where our pitching isn’t at least a little better. And offensively we should be decent enough.

I’m not saying this is a CWS team but I don’t think it’s unreasonable whatsoever that we’re a borderline Top 25 team. We have more talent than some of our fans want to give us credit for. And could add more via the portal.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

No, we aren’t. Not even close.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
The irony - Bianco goes from hottest seat in the sec west 2 months ago, to now we're discussing our national championship winning coach's hot seat. If anything, this should prove how stupid it is to fire good coaches.

But there's no doubt our fanbase is going to have less patience than we would have otherwise. Regardless though - Lemonis has got at least two years to turn this around. No way in hell he gets fired next year even if it's a repeat of 2022.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Another year of missing tournament, and he may be fired. But that hasn't happened yet, and doesn't have anything to do with Ole Miss.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

It's not "all these other teams", it's LSU and a few others.

Some of you have a truly unrealistic view of what our baseball program is. We are historically about a top 15 program, now that we got a natty. We are more of what Auburn, Oregon, Penn State are to football, than Texas, Georgia, Ohio State.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Surely you can admit that you are a little more pissy about our situation now vs if our instate rival had not just won a national championship.

I am not being a mad twitter mob person. I am just saying this ramps up the frustration. it just does.
I'm just looking at it reasonably. I'd have rather Ole Miss not won it, but it doesn't change our situation very much.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
If we get the guys we're after, we'll be in post season. If it falls through and we have a really bad season, we'll get new staff members. Short of Lemonis pulling a Canz, he's not getting fired.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It's not "all these other teams", it's LSU and a few others.

Some of you have a truly unrealistic view of what our baseball program is. We are historically about a top 15 program, now that we got a natty. We are more of what Auburn, Oregon, Penn State are to football, than Texas, Georgia, Ohio State.

Correct.

MSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Texas A&M
South Carolina
Oklahoma

Really no difference at all in the current history / resources and relative future outlook of those programs. Thats Tier 2 in the new SEC, with Tennessee also fighting to join that grouping if they can sustain and/or improve upon the past 2 years. The firm Tier 1 is LSU, Vandy, Florida, Texas.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Maybe I am a little overzealous about our team, but "not even close" is too far don't you think?

In the 10 years prior to this years disaster:

7 Super Regional app (11, 13, 17, 18, 19, 21)
4 CWS app (13, 18, 19, 21)
2 Played is CWS Finals
National Championship

That is elite.

I get it. We are all mad and want the same thing.

Go Dogs!!!

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
As a program, you are right. We have to just do our thing and fix our needs regardless of who hoists the trophy.

In the eyes of fans, it does increase frustration.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007

Wish you were right about what we are to college baseball but you’re not.
LSU, Miami, Oregon St, S Carolina, both Arizona schools, Texas, plus a few more are above us in that regard.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe I am a little overzealous about our team, but "not even close" is too far don't you think?

In the 10 years prior to this years disaster:

7 Super Regional app (11, 13, 17, 18, 19, 21)
4 CWS app (13, 18, 19, 21)
2 Played is CWS Finals
National Championship

That is elite.

I get it. We are all mad and want the same thing.

Go Dogs!!!

I said “not even close” because first of all….there are no year in year out perenniel powers in college baseball on the scale that there are in football. Even the best of the best have to compete with MLB for high school talent and have pitching injuries and guys that don’t pan out in recruiting because they didn’t develop like you thought they would when they committed in 9th 17ing grade.

As far as your list of accomplishments, that is elite. But 10 years is not the entire history of the program. And 75% of what you listed was actually the past 5 years, not the last 10. And there were two last place finishes in the SEC that you left out, and two awful seasons that preceded that 10-year run, too. No way can you just assume we’ll continue rolling now and forevermore like we did for the best 5-year stretch ever. That’s just setting yourself up for disapointment. Too many good teams in this league for anyone to ever sustain such a run for 10-15-20 years.

If you made that list in 2012, South Carolina would be the “Georgia / Ohio State / Alabama football” of college baseball. If you made it in 1993, it would be Southern Cal. And so on.

Mafiadawg

Nov 5, 2013
now different? If State follows up next season with a year like this past one - is it possible the unrest will be heightened more because of the Ole Miss championship? I think the national championship changed things for expectations for next season. I thought Lemonis could survive another bad year but I'm not sure now.

Yes. Regardless of whether its right.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Gonna hijack this thread for the sake of several folks who don’t seem to know what “on the hot seat” means.

Multiple folks saying “if Lemonis has another year in 2023 like 2022, he’s on the hot seat!”. No ****.

On the hot seat does not mean “should be fired immediately”. If you end the year on the hot seat, your next season should be better, or you’re fired. Lemonis is NOT anywhere close to the hot seat now. If Lemonis has a bad 2023, he will be “on the hot seat” heading into and during 2024. If he has a subpar 2023 / 2024, he will be fired before 2025. There is no scenario involving on-field performance that will get Lemonis fired before the end of 2024. Period.

None of what Ole Miss does has jack **** to do with any of this.

Carry on.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
None of what Ole Miss does has jack **** to do with any of this.

Carry on.

Agree with the rest of your post, but this is wish-casting. The success or failure of a heated rival absolutely has an impact, and that's true anywhere.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Mostly agree. But you can't compare the situation Cohen stepped into with the one Lemonis stepped into. Yes, we had a coaching carousel for a few years, but he didn't have to undo 6 years of recruiting neglect like Cohen did. Cohen has had a quick hook with coaches who aren't performing, and I don't think that will change if 2023 is a repeat of this year.

Except we didn’t struggle this year because of coaches not performing. We struggled because of pitching injuries. No amount of coaching can get the 8th-13th best pitchers on any SEC roster to actually play up to the level of an SEC postseason rotation and bullpen. Cohen realizes that better than anybody.

You and others on here are talking about Lemonis like he’s Joe Moorhead or Rick Ray….like he’s got some sort of deficiency in his coaching style that led to this situation, and stumbled into this treasure trove of talent that he didn’t have anything to do with. That’s not what’s happening at all.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Exactly. A&M went from last in the SEC west to the number 5 national seed and final four in Omaha. With our resources, fan base and administrative commitment to the program there’s no reason to not expect top 25 baseball every year at Mississippi State

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Agree with the rest of your post, but this is wish-casting. The success or failure of a heated rival absolutely has an impact, and that's true anywhere.

It may have an impact on fan perception. It has zero impact on the people actually making the decisions about our coaches’ futures in any sport. That will be decided based on the merits of our program alone.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Yes. His seat would be hot (but he still wouldn’t be fired).

Here’s another scenario….Ole Miss wins the next 7 national titles. Over the same period, MSU advances to 7 straight super regionals. Does Lemonis get fired?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It may have an impact on fan perception. It has zero impact on the people actually making the decisions about our coaches’ futures in any sport. That will be decided based on the merits of our program alone.

Yeah I still think this is simply wishful thinking, that somehow ole miss doesn't matter.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Can you give us a brief rundown of the guys we are after?

AF pitcher is good, but he hasn't committed and came on a visit. Stetson pitcher is good, but may go in the draft. Still after another OF.
We're really weak at CF, 2B, C. SS too as far as hitting goes. Those are concerns. We've already gotten one of the best pitchers in the AAC and another kid throwing upper 90s. We got one of the best players in the SoCon to play OF. There are some others but those are the main guys.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Pitching injuries were a part of it, but, need we remind you again Landon Sims was 0-2 when he got injured with losses to Long Beach St (29-27 season record) and Northern Freaking Kentucky (19-35 season record). We were NOT SCORING ANY RUNS from the beginning. Final SEC hitting stats, 10th in batting avg, 10th in runs scored, 10th in on base %, 12th in hits, 10th in RBI's, 10th in total bases. We could not hit in streaks and the ones that could make contact are going to be gone next year. Unless we get a flock of transfers (very few so far) or FR ready to hit (seldom) we aren't going to be much better at the plate next season. And where are the pitchers going to come from or ours going to drastically improve in the offseason?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Should have fired him on the tarmac at GTR when he came back from Omaha.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login