I can't believe I am asking this but is Lemonis's "hot seat" next year...

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
AF pitcher is good, but he hasn't committed and came on a visit. Stetson pitcher is good, but may go in the draft. Still after another OF.
We're really weak at CF, 2B, C. SS too as far as hitting goes. Those are concerns. We've already gotten one of the best pitchers in the AAC and another kid throwing upper 90s. We got one of the best players in the SoCon to play OF. There are some others but those are the main guys.

We are going to struggle next year and more than likely the following year. No pitching depth. Major misses with last year's transfers. Just like this year, if we have any injuries, it's going to be ugly.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We are going to struggle next year and more than likely the following year. No pitching depth. Major misses with last year's transfers. Just like this year, if we have any injuries, it's going to be ugly.

GTFOH with that. We've got double digit pitchers coming in this time. We may have both Beef and Hunt back. We've got a top Juco arm coming in.
Depth will not be an issue. Experience is the issue. But FR perform in this league every year.
We land those two kids we're waiting on, that changes a lot. Especially if we get back the two we have.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah the championship doesn't continue good will in my opinion. Ole miss winning one the very next season just kind of leveled the playing field. If we have another dud he could be in trouble this next season like coach o or chizik. We should have a standard here that if you don't make the tournament, changes need to be made or you need to be changed. We have had no off season changes so far except a few players transferring. No major portal grabs or nil deals announced for players. After the year we just had. We are no longer the reigning champs and the fact that it's our neighbors to the north we always rag about falling and not being as good of a program definitely brings the heat. They have just as many national titles as us now.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
GTFOH with that. We've got double digit pitchers coming in this time. We may have both Beef and Hunt back. We've got a top Juco arm coming in.
Depth will not be an issue. Experience is the issue. But FR perform in this league every year.
We land those two kids we're waiting on, that changes a lot. Especially if we get back the two we have.

I'll bookmark this for later. Take off your maroon glasses.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's not "all these other teams", it's LSU and a few others.

Some of you have a truly unrealistic view of what our baseball program is. We are historically about a top 15 program, now that we got a natty. We are more of what Auburn, Oregon, Penn State are to football, than Texas, Georgia, Ohio State.

Wearing your UM national champ shirt today?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Pitching injuries were a part of it, but, need we remind you again Landon Sims was 0-2 when he got injured with losses to Long Beach St (29-27 season record) and Northern Freaking Kentucky (19-35 season record). We were NOT SCORING ANY RUNS from the beginning. Final SEC hitting stats, 10th in batting avg, 10th in runs scored, 10th in on base %, 12th in hits, 10th in RBI's, 10th in total bases. We could not hit in streaks and the ones that could make contact are going to be gone next year. Unless we get a flock of transfers (very few so far) or FR ready to hit (seldom) we aren't going to be much better at the plate next season. And where are the pitchers going to come from or ours going to drastically improve in the offseason?
You, and everyone who thinks like you, are just extremely misinformed about the reality of what went on this year. The absolute easiest way to understand this is to look at how many games where we had a late lead, and it was double digits at least.

The offense was fine. It wasn't as good as 2021, and we struck out too much. But it was fine.

The pitching was the problem, especially the bullpen. You can harp on Long Beach and NKU all you want, but the fact is those games were over and we had every opportunity to win at least 10 more games had we totally imploded in late innings.

THIS EXACT SAME SCENARIO played out in 2015. Remember the 8th inning gifs?

We won the damn SEC and were a national seed in 2016.

So please, will you guys stop being emotional morons?? I held off from calling you that in the first line of my post - but if you can't pull yourself together now, there's nothing else to say to you.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The stakes have changed from cohens coaching days. One ole miss didn't have a national title. Two college sports is completely different now with the transfer portal and nil. Like I said the other day. Either get with it or get left behind. You have lsu building like crazy with a new coach, you have TAMU building like crazy, auburn in Omaha, ole miss winning the title, OU jointing the conference after being in the title.

The truth is we can't afford seasons like we just had two years in a row. If you do these other schools in our same division will run us straight out. You have to play the new game in recruiting or get left out. Plain and simple. You have to evaluate and develop too. Two-three injuries can't end your season plain and simple.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yeah I still think this is simply wishful thinking, that somehow ole miss doesn't matter.
Cohen and Carter don't think like a fan. We fired a football coach after winning the Egg Bowl. Bianco was only on the hot seat when he was in danger of missing a regional (or sneaking in and going 2 and Q) with a team that was obviously good enough to win the whole thing, after flirting with LSU last year (the big one), and just overall complacency. It wasn't about MSU winning a title.

Don't be dumb.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Welp, since this past year’s train wreck, we’ve lost our top offensive player, our all SEC catcher, our top pitcher, and 10 guys to the portal which was tied for 2nd most in the conference.

Now, for a team that performed so poorly last season, maybe 10 transfers is the right number. However, 5 were freshmen meaning that we just wasted a year of development time on young kids that will be playing elsewhere. Then another was Walling which is another example of how we can’t ever just expect a transfer to step in and perform in the SEC. Sometimes it happens with guys like Yeager and Debrule. Other times we whiff

So getting back to the topic of whether we can be worse or not, I’d sure like to think that it’s not possible, but it’s sure not off the table either. We’ve got a grand total of 3 transfers in the boat + an eventual freshman class to replace everything I mentioned, and Lemonis really needs to pick up some steam in a hurry

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Cohen and Carter don't think like a fan. We fired a football coach after winning the Egg Bowl. Bianco was only on the hot seat when he was in danger of missing a regional (or sneaking in and going 2 and Q) with a team that was obviously good enough to win the whole thing, after flirting with LSU last year.

Don't be dumb.

You're probably right. Walmart's CEO doesn't keep an eye on Amazon. If they did, goat would call them dumb.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You're probably right. Walmart's CEO doesn't keep an eye on Amazon. If they did, goat would call them dumb.
Stop moving the goal posts. You're talking about essentially firing vice presidents based on another company's success (when you're still having success too).

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would say no doubt. Ole miss would have far surpassed us and it's time to move on and find someone that can make Omaha again in your scenario.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Your full of ****. People in the administration care if you lose to rivals and they do care if the rival matches a title. They will care more if we don't improve the next season and miss post season all together

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Good Lord. I mean if you just absolutely want to pull the trigger, nothing we can say will stop you. Same for all the other female clowns in this thread.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
the offense was fine

2021 2022
5th batting avg 10th
3rd runs scored 10th
5th on base % 10th
4th hits 12th
2nd rbi's 10th
4th total bases 10th

The number of runners on base we left this year, especially in scoring position was ridiculous because we couldn't put together 2 or more hits. This lost us way more games (of the 30 we lost) than the bullpen choked away

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you don't think Lemonis is feeling some heat now, you haven't been paying attention to John Cohen's history of patience with underperforming coaches. And there's no doubt the heat turned up a little bit yesterday. You can say all day long it doesn't matter what Mississippi does, but we all know it does.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Hopefully the light bulb is on with Cohen and Lemonis that we have to find 2 elite arms. And a few maybe elites. Ones that are good but not first rounders yet. I'm really optimistic that we are recruiting harder than we ever have.

We do great in all the other areas.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I would say no doubt. Ole miss would have far surpassed us and it's time to move on and find someone that can make Omaha again in your scenario.

There’s no chance in hell of that happening. It’s a purposefully outlandish scenario, but no college baseball coach that goes to 7 straight super regionals is ever getting fired for on field performance. Ever. You are delusional to believe otherwise.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Mostly agree. But you can't compare the situation Cohen stepped into with the one Lemonis stepped into. Yes, we had a coaching carousel for a few years, but he didn't have to undo 6 years of recruiting neglect like Cohen did. Cohen has had a quick hook with coaches who aren't performing, and I don't think that will change if 2023 is a repeat of this year.

Yep, I have been thinking about that. In a way, Polk II had as much to do with OM winning the NC yesterday as Polk I had to do with us winning it last year. While there is no doubt that Polk I helped us build a tremendous baseball tradition at MSU, it was during Polk II where things at MSU waned and recruiting was neglected to a large degree. Due to the mishandling of MSU baseball during the Polk II timeframe, Bianco was able to seize on the opportunity to make OM baseball a thing. If MSU had taken care of business during that 10 year window OM would have a decent program but nothing like what they have today. We gave him the opportunity and Bianco made the most of it.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
2021 2022
5th batting avg 10th
3rd runs scored 10th
5th on base % 10th
4th hits 12th
2nd rbi's 10th
4th total bases 10th

The number of runners on base we left this year, especially in scoring position was ridiculous because we couldn't put together 2 or more hits. This lost us way more games (of the 30 we lost) than the bullpen choked away

We scored 6 fewer runs in SEC play than last season. Six. Thats a virtual wash.

And your statement about Sims being 0-2 without providing the context of how well he pitched in those games is ridiculous.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Good Lord. I mean if you just absolutely want to pull the trigger, nothing we can say will stop you. Same for all the other female clowns in this thread.

Find where I said I wanted him fired, Goat. All I did was make an observation. Based on what I see coming back and what I see coming in. The only clown on this thread and this site is you

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
2021 2022
5th batting avg 10th
3rd runs scored 10th
5th on base % 10th
4th hits 12th
2nd rbi's 10th
4th total bases 10th

Relying solely on stats without looking at the 'why' behind them will steer you wrong. And it certainly makes you look like an idiot in front of those who really know what's going on.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Hopefully the light bulb is on with Cohen and Lemonis that we have to find 2 elite arms. And a few maybe elites. Ones that are good but not first rounders yet. I'm really optimistic that we are recruiting harder than we ever have.

We do great in all the other areas.
Yeah buddy, I'm sure that's what it was. They were waiting for the "light bulb" to go try and find elite arms. I'm sure they weren't trying to find those before or anything.

Ya'll have lost your damn minds.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Welp, since this past year’s train wreck, we’ve lost our top offensive player, our all SEC catcher, our top pitcher, and 10 guys to the portal which was tied for 2nd most in the conference.

Now, for a team that performed so poorly last season, maybe 10 transfers is the right number. However, 5 were freshmen meaning that we just wasted a year of development time on young kids that will be playing elsewhere. Then another was Walling which is another example of how we can’t ever just expect a transfer to step in and perform in the SEC. Sometimes it happens with guys like Yeager and Debrule. Other times we whiff

So getting back to the topic of whether we can be worse or not, I’d sure like to think that it’s not possible, but it’s sure not off the table either. We’ve got a grand total of 3 transfers in the boat + an eventual freshman class to replace everything I mentioned, and Lemonis really needs to pick up some steam in a hurry
You have to factor in the rest of the country losing a ton too....and many of them COVID seniors and 6th year seniors. That's probably why the offense was up and the pitching was down all year.

I think the world BEGINS to get back normal next year (albeit in the new NIL/portal era), although it will be a few years before all these COVID dudes filter completely out. I think we can say with confidence that most of them with true draft talent are probably gone by now.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We scored 6 fewer runs in SEC play than last season. Six. Thats a virtual wash.

And your statement about Sims being 0-2 without providing the context of how well he pitched in those games is ridiculous.

And that offense was good enough with elite pitching. And our offense got better when it mattered I think (hard to tell because you're looking at stats against better competition and comparing it to stats over a season). But that doesn't mean that we don't need better offensive production than that.

Not disagreeing that the pitching was by far the main problem this year, but you are going to have years where pitching is better than hitting and vice versa. We needed hitting to take a step forward to make up for the fact that we were obviously going to step back from a pitching standpoint. Instead offense was slightly worse but pitching fell off a cliff.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Except we didn’t struggle this year because of coaches not performing. We struggled because of pitching injuries. No amount of coaching can get the 8th-13th best pitchers on any SEC roster to actually play up to the level of an SEC postseason rotation and bullpen. Cohen realizes that better than anybody.

You and others on here are talking about Lemonis like he’s Joe Moorhead or Rick Ray….like he’s got some sort of deficiency in his coaching style that led to this situation, and stumbled into this treasure trove of talent that he didn’t have anything to do with. That’s not what’s happening at all.

I think it's fair to say that Foxhall didn't perform this year. I think there are reasonable excuses. We didn't develop pitchers last year as much because we had so many pitchers avaiable, so that probably hurt some for this year. Obviously Sims got hurt and a few of the better prospects for stepping up this year got hurt. But did anybody other than Cade get better this year? Pico did ok for a freshman. Does he have the talent to be a starter though?

Sometimes you just have really unlucky years and maybe it's not his fault that Fristoe still can't get right and that Walling (and Cerantola) were busts. But with the ability to go get pitchers in the portal, I don't think you can claim that Foxhall performed this year.

Mafiadawg

Nov 5, 2013
I am not saying they are trying any harder since yesterday but if you think the pressure did not just turn up a notch you are crazy. More pressure equals less patience among fans which means a shorter leash.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
And that offense was good enough with elite pitching. And our offense got better when it mattered I think (hard to tell because you're looking at stats against better competition and comparing it to stats over a season). But that doesn't mean that we don't need better offensive production than that.

Not disagreeing that the pitching was by far the main problem this year, but you are going to have years where pitching is better than hitting and vice versa. We needed hitting to take a step forward to make up for the fact that we were obviously going to step back from a pitching standpoint. Instead offense was slightly worse but pitching fell off a cliff.

Well we weren’t “obviously going to take a step back in the pitching department” until the injuries. A weekend rotation of Sims, a healthy KC Hunt, and Cade Smith looked pretty damn strong at the start of the year. Then you had Simmons, Johnson, Auger, Kohn, Stinnett, and Fristoe as what should have been a serviceable bullpen. Then half those guys went down, and the rest is history. Can’t just say “our pitching sucks now, gotta just score more runs”. Doesn’t work that way.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
now different? If State follows up next season with a year like this past one - is it possible the unrest will be heightened more because of the Ole Miss championship? I think the national championship changed things for expectations for next season. I thought Lemonis could survive another bad year but I'm not sure now.

Those on here are going to say no, but hell yes it warms up his seat. We are supposed to be "THE" baseball school in this state and our facilities are the best in the country. Period. Another shitshow like this year, and his seat is hotter than a bordello in New Orleans in July.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well we weren’t “obviously going to take a step back in the pitching department” until the injuries. A weekend rotation of Sims, a healthy KC Hunt, and Cade Smith looked pretty damn strong at the start of the year. Then you had Simmons, Johnson, Auger, Kohn, Stinnett, and Fristoe as what should have been a serviceable bullpen. Then half those guys went down, and the rest is history. Can’t just say “our pitching sucks now, gotta just score more runs”. Doesn’t work that way.

We had a lot of potential on the roster, but we weren't going to be the same as we finished the CWS. We knew Sims was going to be good, we knew what we had in Johnson. It was perfectly reasonable to think that Fristoe would get better rather than worse. But everything else was either an unknown or known but limited (e.g., B Smith). Even if things had worked out, it was always highly unlikely we'd end up looking like 2021. And we keep saying injuries, but it's not clear to me that any injury was devastating other than Sims. Simmons had good stats through three games. I don't think we saw enough of him to know. Auger had good stats and seemed to be promising before getting hurt. Hunt had an ERA of 7.46 through May and it was never below 5.4. Did he have nagging injuries all year?

And of course you can't just say "our pitching sucks now, gott just score more runs". But you can't just say, we had elite pitching in 2021, so we'll just have elite pitching every year and the offense can be just good enough. It was highly unlikely that we were going to be as good pitching, but it didn't seem crazy to think that Kellum Clark, Logan Tanner, Luke Hancock, Mule, Forsythe, and James would all either get a little better or make a big jump, and we'd get some portal help and our offense take a step forward to make up for it. Our pitching imploded rather than taking a small step back and our offense took a small step back rather than improving despite having a lot of ABs coming back. You can't just say, "our offense was barely worse; the problem is that our pitching wasn't one of the best staffs in the country again"

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
We had a lot of potential on the roster, but we weren't going to be the same as we finished the CWS. We knew Sims was going to be good, we knew what we had in Johnson. It was perfectly reasonable to think that Fristoe would get better rather than worse. But everything else was either an unknown or known but limited (e.g., B Smith). Even if things had worked out, it was always highly unlikely we'd end up looking like 2021. And we keep saying injuries, but it's not clear to me that any injury was devastating other than Sims. Simmons had good stats through three games. I don't think we saw enough of him to know. Auger had good stats and seemed to be promising before getting hurt. Hunt had an ERA of 7.46 through May and it was never below 5.4. Did he have nagging injuries all year?

And of course you can't just say "our pitching sucks now, gott just score more runs". But you can't just say, we had elite pitching in 2021, so we'll just have elite pitching every year and the offense can be just good enough. It was highly unlikely that we were going to be as good pitching, but it didn't seem crazy to think that Kellum Clark, Logan Tanner, Luke Hancock, Mule, Forsythe, and James would all either get a little better or make a big jump, and we'd get some portal help and our offense take a step forward to make up for it. Our pitching imploded rather than taking a small step back and our offense took a small step back rather than improving despite having a lot of ABs coming back. You can't just say, "our offense was barely worse; the problem is that our pitching wasn't one of the best staffs in the country again"

You also have to consider that we had the SEC Player of the Year in 2021, and another All-SEC player and 4-year starter in CF. Lost a ton of production there, and guess what, we actually replaced it offensively with what we got from Yeager and Hines. That’s not insignificant. It could have been a hell of a lot worse than it was for us offensively.

If I asked you before 2022 what the bigger loss was going to be for our team….Bednar / Macleod / Harding or Allen / Rowdey / Dubrule, what would you have said?

And yes, Hunt was likely never 100%. He pitched 1-2 innings as our Saturday starter in the opening series and then was completely shut down for about half the season. Then he started to come in out of the pen a bit, with mixed results. Looked a little better as he got more innings, but our goose was cooked at that point. Again, this was a guy Foxhall / Lemonis had pegged as a weekend starter after fall camp and the early spring practices.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Some of you 17rs should give up being State fans, since you've already given up anyway. Bunch of damn pussies! You ball up and cry because OM won something finally. Screw you losers!

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Exactly. A&M went from last in the SEC west to the number 5 national seed and final four in Omaha. With our resources, fan base and administrative commitment to the program there’s no reason to not expect top 25 baseball every year at Mississippi State

"With our resources, . . . . ."; WHAT RESOURCES?? If A&M, Texas, etc. are Rolls Royce's, we are Ford Pintos with respect to resources. Sure, we have the best baseball facility in the country and a fanbase second to none. But those things and a $buck will buy you a cup of coffee in a cheap restaurant with respect to real "Resources" in today's world of NIL $$$.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
There’s no chance in hell of that happening. It’s a purposefully outlandish scenario, but no college baseball coach that goes to 7 straight super regionals is ever getting fired for on field performance. Ever. You are delusional to believe otherwise.

And I think you are delusional to think otherwise. When your main competitors are making Omaha and winning championships and you are making super regionals it changes the bar. That is all hypothetical but to think when your competitors are outdoing you every year, it becomes a factor in whether or not you keep your job. Point being we simply can't afford another year like this. Recruiting is already getting harder. Having a team that struggles to hit above 300 and a team that doesn't have pitching depth will find you at home in June.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Sims gave up 1 run in 7 innings with 13 Ks agains Long Beach. I mean how could you possibly reference that game?

engie

May 29, 2011
At some point we had to see the volatility from our coaching situations show up in the product on the field. This year it finally did. Do not expect it to continue going forward.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Sims gave up 1 run in 7 innings with 13 Ks agains Long Beach. I mean how could you possibly reference that game?

Didn’t get the win though!!!!****

Strong mental gymnastics to suggest that somehow Sims going down wasn’t a catastrophic loss for our team.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
And I think you are delusional to think otherwise. When your main competitors are making Omaha and winning championships and you are making super regionals it changes the bar. That is all hypothetical but to think when your competitors are outdoing you every year, it becomes a factor in whether or not you keep your job. Point being we simply can't afford another year like this. Recruiting is already getting harder. Having a team that struggles to hit above 300 and a team that doesn't have pitching depth will find you at home in June.

In the hypothetical situation of one team winning 7 straight titles and a totally different team going to 7 straight super regionals, its damn near guaranteed that those would be the top 2 programs in the country. You don’t fire your coach because you have the nation’s 2nd best program even if your bitter in-state rival has the best program.

You don’t measure yourself against just one program and one program only. That’s the epitome of the “little brother” thinking that ******** OM fans accused MSU fans of having for decades. It’s an accusation I always used to think was completely false until I started reading the ridiculous takes of yours and others in this thread.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login