I know it's been a long time since I was in college but Marketing used to a study in trying to

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I saw a Youtube video on this yesterday about why this is happening. One major reason is the big corporations don't have millions in the bank, but they have access to millions of dollars. When they need to make their short term obligations (think suppliers, employees, etc.) , they take out loans with the promise they'll pay them back once their creditors pay them. So why make "woke" advertisements? Well, the loans are often tied to ESG scores. The S is social and it is completely anti-consumer. It basically means that the company has a social score and if it isn't high enough, they won't be able to get the loan. If they go too "Woke" then their consumers can get angry and boycott. So why don't they go get a loan that isn't tied to an ESG score? Well those are getting harder and harder to find.

But like one of the comments said - "They are gonna cure alcoholism."

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
cMaking money isn’t the goal for most of these ad campaigns. It’s proselytizing of their woke theology. Many of the people involved in these controversial campaigns would do it all over again, if given the choice. It’s religion to them and worth the monetary sacrifices.
They think they will somehow get more brand loyalty, with beer drinkers being the first to make ad campaigns about current social issues. SMH

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
They think they will somehow get more brand loyalty, with beer drinkers being the first to make ad campaigns about current social issues. SMH
The people making and driving the ads don’t really care about making money, brand loyalty, or any of the other things that motivated your typical marketing department in the past. At least it’s not the top priority. Their #1 priority is sharing their faith, trying to convert the unwoke, and getting attaboys from their likeminded friends. It’s the only rational explanation. And I get it. Why does a Christian tithe? Why would a missionary make family and financial sacrifices? Because it’s about a lot more than money in their view.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I saw a Youtube video on this yesterday about why this is happening. One major reason is the big corporations don't have millions in the bank, but they have access to millions of dollars. When they need to make their short term obligations (think suppliers, employees, etc.) , they take out loans with the promise they'll pay them back once their creditors pay them. So why make "woke" advertisements? Well, the loans are often tied to ESG scores. The S is social and it is completely anti-consumer. It basically means that the company has a social score and if it isn't high enough, they won't be able to get the loan. If they go too "Woke" then their consumers can get angry and boycott. So why don't they go get a loan that isn't tied to an ESG score? Well those are getting harder and harder to find.

1684261946461.png

FQDawg

May 1, 2006

Whatever video that is, it's probably not being completely truthful with you. The S does stand for social but it's for things like philanthropy and ethical and sustainable sourcing of products and raw materials. It's not in any way "anti-consumer."

Also, the borrower and the lender work together to determine which of the environmental, social or governance targets they're aiming for. This is from a story that talks about a sustainability-linked loan (another term for ESG loans) that Ford took out in 2021:

Ford Motor Company's (Ford's) publicly available SLL from fall 2021 serves as a useful example of how these principles are installed deep in the verbose plumbing of a corporate credit agreement. On Sept. 29, 2021, Ford updated and publicly announced its $13.5 billion corporate credit facility and $2 billion supplemental revolving credit facility to link the amount of interest and fees that Ford is required to pay to three sustainability KPIs:

(1) Global manufacturing facility greenhouse gas emissions. These are the total annual emissions of CO2 in million metric tons from (a) stationary and mobile sources at Ford's global manufacturing facilities (known as "Scope 1" emissions) and (b) the generation of electricity, heating, cooling, and steam that is used, but not generated, at these facilities (known as "Scope 2" emissions).

(2) Renewable electricity consumption. This means locally or regionally sourced renewable electricity — such as wind, solar or hydro power — consumed by Ford's facilities, either directly or through the local distribution utility and expressed in kilowatt hours (kWh).

(3) CO2 tailpipe emissions for Ford's European fleet of passenger vehicles. This means the average tailpipe emissions of Ford's European fleet of passenger vehicles first registered in the year of measurement, expressed in grams of CO2 per kilometer (g/km).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Rule number 1—. Never forget who your bread and butter customers are. Do not sacrifice them in order to create demand from another segment.
I don't view this as sacrificing them in the same way the Mulvaney ridiculousness did. Women are roughly 50% of the population. That ad is stupid and parts are untruthful, but I don't think most men (or women) are going to be seriously offended by an ad that panders to women. At worst people will shake their head at it (which is why this didn't go viral when it came out). Plus, if we're going to want to crucify people for pandering to women in order to get something they want, I assume the college version of a lot of people on this board are going to be sweating bullets somewhere out in the spacetime continuum.

The Mulvaney ad was insulting to women, offputting to men, and then it was paired with a high level marketing executive openly talking about her disdain for their traditional customer base. And all to cater to a relatively small part of the population that not only is delusional about Mulvaney's sex but also adamant that other people go along with the delusion.

I think InBev is pushing hard to make this Miller ad a thing and divert attention, but I just don't think it's going to have legs the way the Mulvaney thing did. There's nothing in that ad that MOlson Coors needs to apologize for except for it not being a very good ad (it's like a bad rip off of the guy that makes commercials for non-woke razors and chocolate). InBev needed to apologize for hiring a marketing exec that hates its customers, but it was too chickenshit to because it was worried about getting flak from people that think any apology would be tantamount to admitting the obvious reality that Mulvaney is not a woman.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Oh, I enjoy it. Continue.

I just realized your avatar is Noel Gallagher. My condolences on your divorce.*

Also, as to the Miller Lite ad, I don't think it's really all that bad. They want more women to drink more of their beer, it is the age of identity everything now. If half of a consumer base has a choice they may think of the ad. It seems weirdly apologetic for previous ad campaigns, when you can promote women's empowerment without even bringing that up. Sex is still going to sell.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Whatever video that is, it's probably not being completely truthful with you. The S does stand for social but it's for things like philanthropy and ethical and sustainable sourcing of products and raw materials. It's not in any way "anti-consumer."

Also, the borrower and the lender work together to determine which of the environmental, social or governance targets they're aiming for. This is from a story that talks about a sustainability-linked loan (another term for ESG loans) that Ford took out in 2021:
For the ESG loans, I think you are right. ESG related loans/bonds should be viewed as a scam that borrowers and underwriters do together on suckers. Hey, why don't you give BP a discount on this loan for a renewable energy project, which will also free up capital to go to its "dirty" oil and gas business.

The ESG related mutual funds and index initially started off as a similar scam. ESG was a marketing ploy and all the companies needed to do was pay some lip service to stay in the applicable index or fund. Once the ESG was successful to get money in the door, the investment managers just want the companies to provide a good return. The only purpose of the ESG stuff at that point is to give the managers an excuse if the have below market performance.

That said, it does seem it's starting to actually exert pressure on companies. Not sure how effective it is, but Blackrock seems to be trying to use other people's money to exert undue influence on companies.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I don't view this as sacrificing them in the same way the Mulvaney ridiculousness did. Women are roughly 50% of the population. That ad is stupid and parts are untruthful, but I don't think most men (or women) are going to be seriously offended by an ad that panders to women.
I agree with this. I wasn't offended and I don't care. Pandering to 50% of the population isn't nearly the same as pandering to 0.1%, especially when you alienate the 99.9% of your customer base.

The Bud Light situation is different.

InBev tried to distance themselves from it by saying it was just "One can" but I guarantee you they knew it would get attention on TikTok or Instagram or whatever platform he uses. And I also guarantee you if it got positive press and sales went up, they'd be giving each other high fives in the boardroom.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
This has to be a satirical parody right ??
To trigger the Miller Lite drinkers and the Bud Light drinkers who switched to ML ??

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

If I were loaning money out, I would have the opposite requirement. I want the borrower to be able to pay me back.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Marketing rule #1. KNOW your customer base and don’t pi$$ them off. Marketing rule #2. See rule #1.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
For the ESG loans, I think you are right. ESG related loans/bonds should be viewed as a scam that borrowers and underwriters do together on suckers. Hey, why don't you give BP a discount on this loan for a renewable energy project, which will also free up capital to go to its "dirty" oil and gas business.

The ESG related mutual funds and index initially started off as a similar scam. ESG was a marketing ploy and all the companies needed to do was pay some lip service to stay in the applicable index or fund. Once the ESG was successful to get money in the door, the investment managers just want the companies to provide a good return. The only purpose of the ESG stuff at that point is to give the managers an excuse if the have below market performance.

That said, it does seem it's starting to actually exert pressure on companies. Not sure how effective it is, but Blackrock seems to be trying to use other people's money to exert undue influence on companies.
Just curious where you saw the Mulvaney ad, since it was only intended for Mulvaney's social media accounts?

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Rule number 1—. Never forget who your bread and butter customers are. Do not sacrifice them in order to create demand from another segment.
Rule number 2 - Who gives a 17 about marketing. If people can sway your opinions on what beer to drink based on what paid actors tell you, that’s on you. I remember when I got into a position where I had high level meetings and the marketing people gave their input. I was floored that they had no idea about the products and services that they were paid to promote. I have a feeling that is not uncommon.
The Best advertising I have ever seen for beer is Samuel Jackson “It’ll get you drunk. You’ll be 17’ing fat bitches in no time!”
Sold American!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

You should find other videos to watch because that one is just wrong. I work in finance and in particular corporate finance. There is no ESG score that is considered when making a loan. I’ve seen lots of discussion about esg but never a score. Further, the only ESG concerns for banks and loans right now is about environmental concerns.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Your first paragraph is exactly how I’ve seen ESG truly show up in loans. I’ve seen some companies be incentivized with a lower rate or a rebate if they increase solar energy used in manufacturing plants.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Make money for a company, I guess it means losing it now. I keep wondering who they are paying to come up with these expensive ad campaigns that are dumb as a rock.

They had a golden opportunity here but just couldn't help but to **** and fall back in it all for diversity's sake.

Eff'em. I hate to do it but I'm gonna have to go with Heineken or Coors Light.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This Miller Lite ad-
- it was funny because it addressed an elephant in the room- historically, over the top sexualization was a prominent part of beer advertising. Think 80s and early 90s Spudz Mackenzie period of commercials. SNL even did a parody commercial of that style of advertising- thats how absurd it was.

- it was funny because it said a word over and over again that cant be said on this board. That creativity- turning **** into **** for good ****, was pretty solid.

- it was dumb because it was too long. Make it shorter- nobody watches something for that long unless they are outraged.

- Alyson Hannigan's twin made an appearance at :52.***...maybe.

This place is so pent up with outrage its comical. Imagine changing beer brands, the thing you reach for due to years of habit and preference, all because a commercial as made that makes fun of how some beer advertisements portray the people you beg to touch you at night.
Yall need to get laid more.

Feb 12, 2013
Al Bundy summed it up perfectly...

Pretty women make men buy beer. Ugly women make men drink beer.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Y'all get triggered easily these days. Damn.
Not really responding to you, but I see this phraseology so much these days, it seems like a good place to make a general point: there is a difference between 'getting triggered' and thinking something is stupid. I rarely get triggered, but I live in the second category these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login