If I were making the coaching decision - this is what I would do...

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If Arnett says he wants to ditch the Air Raid as HC and we tell him "no thank you because we don't want to flip our offensive roster" then we are putting scheme over person. I agree we need to make the best hire, but we also have to be prepared that the best hire's vision may not fit the current roster. Holistically has to go beyond 1-2 seasons. With the portal you can remake your roster in a year, maybe two.

Not that our history is a good road map but we went from Mullen to JoMo to Leach. All different. This transition is probably the hardest because the Air Raid is so unique and Leach recruited specific kinds of OL to play in it.
I think that if Arnett is as smart as we think he is, he wouldn’t make an immediate move away from the air raid. Doing that will not be an easy move given our roster and skill set the players have had drilled into them.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
That's saying you value the Air Raid more than you value Arnett. I strongly disagree with that approach. If we take that stance, then we either have to have a DC who approves of the Air Raid or an Air Raid HC. Sorry, but if Arnett is your guy, then he gets to make the call on the offense.
Then we disagree...but my view is that when you've recruited for a certain system and you're poised for your best team with that system you don't blow it up...you push ahead with that...so while I'd expect Arnett to want to stay with the air raid because it gives him the best chance for success in year 1... I do value the system over the coach in our unprecedented situation.

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If Arnett says he wants to ditch the Air Raid as HC and we tell him "no thank you because we don't want to flip our offensive roster" then we are putting scheme over person. I agree we need to make the best hire, but we also have to be prepared that the best hire's vision may not fit the current roster. Holistically has to go beyond 1-2 seasons. With the portal you can remake your roster in a year, maybe two.

Not that our history is a good road map but we went from Mullen to JoMo to Leach. All different. This transition is probably the hardest because the Air Raid is so unique and Leach recruited specific kinds of OL to play in it.
No, it's not. It's just taking all the factors into account. It's not like we're going to tell Arnett no because he wants to change and then hire Spurrier Jr or Mason as head coach. That would be putting scheme over personnel I guess. We'd be telling Arnett no and hiring a similarly qualified P5 coordinator or a G6 head coach. I like Arnett and will be perfectly happy if he ends up being the best candidate, but it's not like he obviously the next Saban. He's just a typical HC candidate for us, with the added bonus of actually providing continuity rather than starting from scratch. If he's wanting to flip the roster on one side of the ball and change offensive staff, then he's not bringing that much continuity and that makes his candidacy less attractive.

Nov 25, 2019
Put Arnett as Head coach. Bump his pay by 3 million. Take the money you are saving from Leach's salary and go get an OC from the Leach tree. People have mentioned the head coach from North Texas that was recently let go. Someone made the point to me yesterday that we should sign him to a 4 year contract with an exit clause that makes it easy for both sides to move on if it doesn't work out after a year or 2.

To me, it's the most fair thing to do. Leach's offensive assistants shouldn't lose their jobs because of an untimely death. Should fair even be a word used in big time college football? Maybe not but it seems like the right thing to do.
that's a good option this late in the hiring frame.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
This is how I see Arnett shaking it out.
Arnett - HC
McBath - DC/CBs
Phelps - Dline
Brock - LBs
Hughes - Safeties
Littrell - OC
Hollingsworth - QBs
Spurrier Jr - WRs
Miller - Oline
Washington - RBs
Mele - Special Teams

Would love to see Bumphis and Chaney make their way on this staff one day. Not just because they’re alums but both are skilled recruiters.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
You gotta bring in a new DC too, because Arnett can't be the head coach and the DC without it affecting some other aspect of the program.

Promoting Arnett leaves several coaching spots open, not just one. Arnett was coaching safeties and DC. Leach was coaching QBs along with being OC. We've got to backfill all those spots. And you don't give a young coach who's never been the head guy at any level and head coaching gig and expect him to also be a coordinator.
I think there’s a decent chance we would just promote Matt Brock to DC and kinda have he and Arnett tag team that side of the ball.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I say Mason Miller to OC. Bring in 2 additional coaches, Bumphis and another strong recruiter. I feel like Mason Miller will be a head coach in the next 5 years, I wouldn't have been upset if Keenum had made him the interim.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
Put Arnett as Head coach. Bump his pay by 3 million. Take the money you are saving from Leach's salary and go get an OC from the Leach tree. People have mentioned the head coach from North Texas that was recently let go. Someone made the point to me yesterday that we should sign him to a 4 year contract with an exit clause that makes it easy for both sides to move on if it doesn't work out after a year or 2.

To me, it's the most fair thing to do. Leach's offensive assistants shouldn't lose their jobs because of an untimely death. Should fair even be a word used in big time college football? Maybe not but it seems like the right thing to do.
I essentially concur with this approach. I would prefer to give Arnett his chance. Since it would be his first HC job, I think 3-3.5M is a good number with the caveat that we get an Air Raid style OC. There are several in Leach's tree such as Seth Littrell from North Texas who was fired as HC a week ago, Robert Anae (Syracuse OC), or Matt Mumme (Colorado STate). A wild idea that the fan base would either love or hate would be to get someone like Kevin Sumlin (Currently HC Houston Gamblers) to come in as an Asst HC/OC. I think he could draw some offensive recruits.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

KAS20

Jan 11, 2020

This seems like the right thing to do. Don’t see anyone ready to call plays in the SEC so a search for a OC is needed. I just don’t see a quality HC option entertaining the position without an AD in place. I don’t see Arnett entertaining it until then either for some reason. Have to get the AD in place first before any final decision can be made that will be helpful for the future of the program.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Call Sonny Dykes. Offer him $8 MM per.

After he says “No”, start working the phones.

We are in an unusual position here, and shouldn’t squander it. The good news is that Cohen isn’t here to screw it up. The bad news is we have to move quickly to find an AD up to the challenge.

I would love to see Arnett given a chance. But Mullen and Leach have made State a more desirable coaching destination. We will always be a stepping stone, but we are only one step from the top. And we are no longer a coaching graveyard. We need to think big.

I do not think we should limit ourselves to Air Raid coaches, either. Another rebuild could be on the horizon. But if we find a coach - head coach or OC - who runs a modern spread, then we are merely a QB away from being ready. And maybe a couple tight ends.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Arnett keeps interim label until we get the new AD in place. This recruiting class is likely to be a disaster regardless. We have to think long term here. No rash decisions as an emotional reaction to getting killed in recruiting. The motherfuckerheads up north can go 17 themselves by the way.
We thought long-term back in 2018. Cohen wanted a passing guy so he went out and found one. When it didn't work, he doubled down in 2020. We are now 5 years into building a passing offensive team, and on the precipice of seeing the fruits of our labor, after we wasted 2018.

Seems the easiest, most logical and BEST thing to do right now is continue doing what we're doing. I've always wanted to see how we'd do with a defensive head coach, who totally turns the offense over to an OC. We should have done this in 2018, but considering what happened, we now have a chance to try it again.

Let's get it right this time. If it doesn't work, 3 years from now, we can re-evaluate and think 'long term' again. Carry on the pirate legacy for now.

As far as recruiting, I don't remember the last time our recruiting DID NOT suck. Especially now. But I know one thing, we have a difference maker at QB coming in so we better do what we have to do to build around him and do whatever we have to do to keep him here. You don't see these types that often.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Unfortunately it's not fair for anyone but it's big business. I feel like hiring Arnett is the quick emotional thing to do. I would do a search and interviews. If it's Arnett, if it's not then we move forward. There are a lot names out there. Leach made this job attractive again to his legacy. I also think the new AD will want to make their own hire. We have time. We didn't hire leach until after the bowl game. No need to make a rush decision.

I would look at some Leach tree people and some other guys who have head coaching experience as well. SEC is a big business and it's all a big risk for anyone and the right fit. Arnett is a great D Coordinator but we have no idea what he will be like running the whole program. I also hate to lose him as a defensive coordinator too. I think we pause this week while also putting feelers out for interest and talking to our AD candidates on what they would do. I know we paused AD stuff understandably but we really need to hire someone by the bowl game so they can get started

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Please understand we are not married to the Air Raid, Gus, Dan or any competent spread option coach could grab a couple of QBs and RBs from the portal and win 9 games next year. Most of our OL likely blocked in spread option offenses in HS, so they could easily pick up the schemes/techniques. One of the most important attributes should be getting a coach who is excited about the portal, NIL and recruiting, we haven't had that since JWS, he realized it was about the Jimmys and Joes.
I agree here. This version of the air raid doesn’t really exist outside of Mike Leach coached teams. I do not expect our 2023 offense to resemble our 2022 one in very many ways.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I agree here. This version of the air raid doesn’t really exist outside of Mike Leach coached teams. I do not expect our 2023 offense to resemble our 2022 one in very many ways.
It's going to evolve for sure.... You could see that Leach was letting it evolve as well with the recruitment of Parson.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
You gotta bring in a new DC too, because Arnett can't be the head coach and the DC without it affecting some other aspect of the program.

Promoting Arnett leaves several coaching spots open, not just one. Arnett was coaching safeties and DC. Leach was coaching QBs along with being OC. We've got to backfill all those spots. And you don't give a young coach who's never been the head guy at any level and head coaching gig and expect him to also be a coordinator.
As you said, Leach was HC and OC. No reason to think Arnett can’t be HC and DC.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If we don't fall back on the AD and that's done say, next week, All bets are off. If that's the case, I have to assume the new AD has a short list. We can hire a good G5 HC or P5 assistant in January.
It's just what happens with the signing class and current players between. That would mean a huge staff turnover.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm fine with Arnett and a flexible contract that allows us an out should he be a bust but gives enough commitment for quality coaches and players to stick around.

If we go that route, I hope he can convince Rocky Long to be DC for a season or two as Arnett cuts his teeth. Would be a massive assist. No clue if that's realistic though.

As far as OC goes we are in between a rock and a hard place there unless there's a no brainer promotion on the staff. Problem is nobody on the staff really deserves to get canned but are you going to be successful with your OC targets if you are telling them they have no input on position coaching? That might be a deal breaker for a lot of guys out there. Of course, there's a lot of coaches that love Mike Leach and would be willing to adapt all things considered.

What's the assessment of Graham Harrell? Brown's seat is warm at WVU. Seems like he would be a good target situationally if he's a good coach.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm fine with Arnett and a flexible contract that allows us an out should he be a bust but gives enough commitment for quality coaches and players to stick around.

If we go that route, I hope he can convince Rocky Long to be DC for a season or two as Arnett cuts his teeth. Would be a massive assist. No clue if that's realistic though.

As far as OC goes we are in between a rock and a hard place there unless there's a no brainer promotion on the staff. Problem is nobody on the staff really deserves to get canned but are you going to be successful with your OC targets if you are telling them they have no input on position coaching? That might be a deal breaker for a lot of guys out there. Of course, there's a lot of coaches that love Mike Leach and would be willing to adapt all things considered.

What's the assessment of Graham Harrell? Brown's seat is warm at WVU. Seems like he would be a good target situationally if he's a good coach.
Littrell and Harrell would be top choices (I'm assuming). Littrell is unemployed but flirting with some schools as OC. Harrell probably needs to get out at WVU. That's not going to end well. But he's only been there a year, so not sure of the situation with him.

Reactions: ckDOG

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012

This is a very valid point. He's going to have to relinquish what he does best. He can still coach the defense during the week, but it would seem to be mighty difficult to manage as head coach and call the defense on game day. I guess Leach and Mullen basically did it on the offensive side, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be a huge challenge.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I’d love to give Arnett one year and then decide on a four-year deal in November 2023.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Anybody mention Dave Aranda? He's from Coach Leach's tree, he might want to get to the SEC, and he's already beat Ole Miss.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm not sure there's a good answer for the problem, maybe there's one that's better than others, but not a good one. There are 3 years of HC experience on this entire staff, 2 for Tony Hughes @ Jackson St (which was a disaster, they were 9-19) and 1 for Mason Miller at McMurry University that has 1,145 students.

I'm a big fan of Arnett as a DC, but, I have immediate heartburn turning a multi million dollar program over to a HC that's never been in the saddle before. He just graduated from college himself in 2009 and has not played or coached anything but defense and certainly hasn't done any of the "CEO" type work required of a HC. I've been around him on multiple occasions, he is one intense dude, even when relaxing he's intense. He's hard to read, to get to talk to even. I don't see him sitting in a living room convincing a mother to let him lead her son or making the alumni circuit patting backs and shaking hands. Everybody has to start somewhere I know but this is a big important step for him and us. If he doesn't work out (which I think we would know very soon) you are starting all over again which is tough. If you go out now and hire an experienced guy, they too are starting over and that's tough.

Like I said there's not a right answer, only a best one, and I don't know what that is

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I don't think you have to have a DC. I think ideally you keep Arnett as play caller since he's so good at that. But if you do that, that means you have to make sure he has the personnel to take other things off his plate. You need someone helping with game management while he's calling plays. You'd need an assistant to act as DC at practice or alternatively an assistant that that takes some of the Adminstrative load off of him related to practices so he can run the defensive side. That could be the same assistant and likely would be the same assistant. I assume that's the role that SPurrier fills for Leach. You also need an OC that he can be hands off with but presumably that's going to be what he wants regardless since he's a defensive coach and he got that freedom with Leach.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

We should make Arnett head coach and ask him to help us find an offensive of coach solution for the time being. Last thing we need to do right now is to make a major change to our football program as it has been pretty successful this season. Then we let the incoming athletic Director make the decisions after this and do their job

Reactions: stateu1

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003

Dawgstudent - this is exactly what my thoughts are (and the general thinking in our group, who you know). The only caveat is if they have someone lined up, but timeliness is huge. Our entire roster could be gutted otherwise. I say do this and move forward. One of the AD candidates has worked with Arnett as well - just saying. :)

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Kliff Kingsbury could get fired any week now...unless the Cardinals brass gives him a pass due to Kyler's now torn ACL

HC experience
Leach disciple
Knows the Air Raid
Makes ~$5M now, so pay him the same and let him be his mentor's successor

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I don't want to completely revamp the offense. I'm in favor of keeping the staff as intact as possible, and getting an OC either from within our current group or an outside hire that can then decide how he wants to fill those positions.
I'd like to see an Air Raid or Air Raid-adjacent offense continue at MSU as I do believe it gives us the best chance at being competitive in the SEC.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I’d love to give Arnett one year and then decide on a four-year deal in November 2023.
You can't do this though. It doesn't set up the interim guy for success. Doesn't mean it won't work out but it greatly decreases the odds. Why would coaches and players commit to a coach when the university hasn't?

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
We should make Arnett head coach and ask him to help us find an offensive of coach solution for the time being. Last thing we need to do right now is to make a major change to our football program as it has been pretty successful this season. Then we let the incoming athletic Director make the decisions after this and do their job

That's implied. If Arnett wants to be successful, I doubt he's going to blow the system up. He will stick to AR based schemes if he knows what's best for proving he can do the job reasonably quickly.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Anybody mention Dave Aranda? He's from Coach Leach's tree, he might want to get to the SEC, and he's already beat Ole Miss.
He's a more proven coach than Arnett. Not saying arnett can't but I think I would be more comfortable with him over arnett. I really like arnett too. Not to mention I like Baylor AD. Maybe we can get a two for one?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Mullen was never a HC either. Whatever you do - there's risk. You just hope you make the right choice.
He was an OC for several years though at some some very successful programs power 5 G5 level. And on a championship team.

Arnett may be the guy but I hope we at least do a search and see what we find.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
"Getting to the SEC" may have seen its peak given the expanded playoff. It's will be reasonable to get to the playoffs outside of SEC/ Big 10 very shortly.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Kliff Kingsbury could get fired any week now...unless the Cardinals brass gives him a pass due to Kyler's now torn ACL

HC experience
Leach disciple
Knows the Air Raid
I don't know, he has a history of failing up, next is probably Senator or POTUS.

Reactions: grimedawg1

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Waiting to let the AD hire the coach comes with several negatives that have already been mentioned.

I think if you also run the risk of blowing up your candidate pool for AD if they know they have to come in on day 1 and make the most important hire. Likely we are hiring an AD who has never worked at MSU, so they have to come in and make the hire without having a good feel for the situation. Hiring Arnett now is no risk to the new AD (assuming it will be structured in a way for an easy break if needed) because its not "his guy."

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Personally I'd like to see us move away from the air raid. Get an AD in place. Hire a new coach. Move forward with whatever that brings.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
He was an OC for several years though at some some very successful programs power 5 G5 level. And on a championship team.

Arnett may be the guy but I hope we at least do a search and see what we find.
I believe he was only an OC at one school (Florida) before we hired him..

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

HC experience
Leach disciple
Knows the Air Raid
Kliffs shine has worn off. I didn't feel like he was that great at tech.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login