If I were making the coaching decision - this is what I would do...

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think that if Arnett is as smart as we think he is, he wouldn’t make an immediate move away from the air raid. Doing that will not be an easy move given our roster and skill set the players have had drilled into them.

Exactly. If Arnett is the guy for HC, hire him. He makes the call on what offense to run, knowing full well that if he blows it up and we struggle mightily for 2-3 years, he’s out and he may never get another HC chance again.

Also, if he’s the guy, it’s got to be due to potential of being master motivator, a great organizer / game planner on both sides of the ball, a strong recruiter, and also capable of working through the NIL channels. It can’t be just because we like what he’s done on defense for 3 years.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
"Getting to the SEC" may have seen its peak given the expanded playoff. It's will be reasonable to get to the playoffs outside of SEC/ Big 10 very shortly.

Disagree. Joining the SEC is about a lot more than just getting to the playoff. TV contracts are far more lucrative in SEC and Big 10 than everywhere else. That trickles down to coaching salaries, facilities, and everything else….and frees up a lot more NIL money for those teams. A framework is forming that is going to make it damn near impossible to win the playoff if not from the SEC or Big 10. Not saying that MSU will be pulled up to that level, but the conference is still going to be very desirable for expansion teams and coaching candidates.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
If I’m Keenum, I’m telling the finalist for the AD job to come to the next interview with a short list of football coaches. And if I’m an AD candidate, my first question to Keenum is who makes this hire? And if Keenum tells me that it’s anyone other than me, I’d probably not take the job.

That’s just my perspective. I wouldn’t take the job without being able to make the hire. There is no such thing as a freebie. Look back on this board and see some of the things Cohen got blamed for, it definitely was not always his fault. The next AD will be viewed favorably or not largely based on performance of football.
Nobody is going to legitimately blame the AD for a hire he didn't make...at worst letting Keenum make the hire gets the AD 2 extra years..

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I know I'm hopelessly naive and willing to do unconventional things. Like, for example, having AD and HC candidates on the phone at the same time and asking them to talk openly about our situation. I want to know who can work with whom, who is on board with the vision that other people have, and what their thoughts TOGETHER would be on next steps. Maybe Arnett is in these discussions. I want to hear how each of them would be willing to participate in solving the problem knowing what the other people's ideas are.

This isn't how hires are made with agents and so forth who have skin in the game so I know it's nonsense. But it's how a consulting team would get the best possible advantage -- looking to every resource available and asking them how they could partner most effectively. Maybe there's some non-disclosure stuff. Maybe there's some payment for "consulting services rendered" during the phone call, to make it all legal when we take action. That's all the legal stuff that interferes with doing the smartest stuff.

I want the team whose combined efforts work best for the advancement of Mississippi State's interests.

I know it's dumb and starry eyed. So sue me. (Actually, please don't sue me.)

Reactions: dawgstudent

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t think any AD would take this job now without being able to make the call on the next HC, at least not any AD that has any self respect and confidence in himself. A winning football program is the most important ingredient to a happy alumni base and you don’t take a job with an opening in the football with the arrangement “do other things and don’t worry about football for a few years”
I don't think that matters or factors in at all. You basically have a free 2-3 year run where the results of the football program do not fall on your shoulders. And if the AD is who I want it to be and who I think it will be, he will using that 2-3 years to kickstart our fundraising in a big way without having to worry about hiring and firing, and we'll be in a great position to make a hire later on if needed.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have to agree with the guy holding all the goats here. No pressure on the AD. All other hires are looking good, let this play out. If it tanks he has time to get his list in order and assess the situation. And of course we have the ability to go after anyone, this is a great job. We are not married to the air raid but I think rolling with what we have for a year at least is smart.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He's almost as old as I am.
Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I wouldn't do anything until the Pirate is buried. NOTHING. But after we given our total respects to the Pirate and his family, my first call would be to Chris Klieman and make him say no to a truckload of money.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
It's business. Our coaches are on the road recruiting. They aren't sitting around for the memorial
No disrespect, but I don't care. There's plenty of time to find an AD & HC. One week won't make a hill of beans worth of difference during the holidays.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No disrespect, but I don't care. There's plenty of time to find an AD & HC. One week won't make a hill of beans worth of difference during the holidays.
No, there's not. Signing day is next week. We wait a week, well, we risk losing players. But, we may very well do that. Leach wouldn't want everybody pining away about him.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Most of you guys seriously overthink things. We were all so concerned about losing Arnett to a Hc job in this off-season. Now we can offer him one. If Spurrier wouldn't be an outstanding choice for OC I don't know who would. Go look at his history. Probly coached more bowl games than any other coach not named Saban. He has tons of experience. Plus he has 6 kids. He could use the pay raise
I think spurrier has like 9 kids.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
They'll be around and thriving in the 12-team playoff world.
The playoff is not the be all and end all though. TV contracts and inventory are. The Big 10 commissioner has openly stated that the Big 10 is not done with expansion. And, if the Big 10 expands, the SEC may take a run too.

Say the SEC decides to take any two teams - say TCU and Ok State for instance. And, the Big 10 decides on Washington and Oregon.

You're getting closer to two big conferences - and what's left is not so attractive even if they do have a chance at the playoff.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Arnett keeps interim label until we get the new AD in place. This recruiting class is likely to be a disaster regardless. We have to think long term here. No rash decisions as an emotional reaction to getting killed in recruiting. The motherfuckerheads up north can go 17 themselves by the way.
Looks like you’re wrong

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Looks like you’re wrong
Looks like he was wrong about hire but who knows how all this really turns out. Feels rushed to me. I like Arnett but no idea if he is ready to be a head coach. Least experienced coach in SEC now by far.

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
Put Arnett as Head coach. Bump his pay by 3 million. Take the money you are saving from Leach's salary and go get an OC from the Leach tree. People have mentioned the head coach from North Texas that was recently let go. Someone made the point to me yesterday that we should sign him to a 4 year contract with an exit clause that makes it easy for both sides to move on if it doesn't work out after a year or 2.

To me, it's the most fair thing to do. Leach's offensive assistants shouldn't lose their jobs because of an untimely death. Should fair even be a word used in big time college football? Maybe not but it seems like the right thing to do.
My thoughts almost verbatim.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login