Less than 2 weeks - Who's your pick for the team that surprises the league?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don't think there will be much of a surprise this year. Depth is thinned out at the big boys now, so injuries will determine the "surprises". New coaches at programs could move the needle one way or another.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Interesting take since he basically went portal heavy last two cycles. Not flaming but what lead or leads you to believe Drink is a slow builder of a program.
I for one think they struggle this year those higher expectations.
Yeah, the college game has changed a WHOLE lot in the last 5 years. We weren't even talking NIL back when Leach & Drink were hired. Coaches and programs had to adapt to NIL and are still adapting even today. To me Leach was a coach who could have you winning within 3 years or less. Drink's personality and the way he used to normally recruit indicated to me it would take a little longer for him to develop his recruiting relationships. Mizzou sits in between 2 great recruiting metro areas all by themselves. Drink, IMO can have you winning within 5 years or less. Nowadays 5 years of being very average or worse can strain most fanbase's patience. Last year was a good year for them. Will he do it again this year? Maybe. Maybe not. Even if he comes up a couple wins short of last years, I think he'll still have Mizzou on a positive trend line. Kind of like trading stocks....are you a day trader (want an immediate winner), or are you a long term investor (willing to accept some mediocre years for a bigger payoff in the end). Mizzou has the best pro-style QB in the SEC in Cook. I see him being a huge plus for them. I do like Milroe at BAMA as the best dual-threat QB.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I have LSU going to Atlanta. I don’t think their schedule has gotten nearly enough talk. No Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, Mizzou on the schedule, and OM-Bama-OU all have to come to Baton Rouge. Only other iffy game I see is at A&M. But I think they go 3-1 in that stretch and are in the SECCG.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think people expecting us to beat Florida, or even be competitive with them, are in for a rude awakening.
I can see us losing for sure but you don’t think we can be competitive at home with a team who also went 5-7 last year? I know Mertz is good but I fully believe that should at worst be a close game.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I have LSU going to Atlanta. I don’t think their schedule has gotten nearly enough talk. No Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, Mizzou on the schedule, and OM-Bama-OU all have to come to Baton Rouge. Only other iffy game I see is at A&M. But I think they go 3-1 in that stretch and are in the SECCG.
I don’t see it lost Heisman QB and best player in Nabors. Lost OC to ND.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Missouri ain't surprising nobody. They have a solid program .
They lost 5 off last year defense to NFL and just lost the starting edge rusher for the year. Lost the LG and LT on the OL to graduation. Won 4 games last year by single digits. Lost DC to LSU. I don’t see Mizz finishing better than 8-4

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
They lost 5 off last year defense to NFL and just lost the starting edge rusher for the year. Lost the LG and LT on the OL to graduation. Won 4 games last year by single digits. Lost DC to LSU. I don’t see Mizz finishing better than 8-4
Yes all that talent made the head coach look like an AMAZING coach. Maybe he can give speeches and lecture others on how to be a successful man like Saban did so often.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
While 8-4 is an off year. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Mizzou has a very positive trend line.

Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
While 8-4 is an off year. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Mizzou has a very positive trend line.
They’ve got the program established and rolling. they also have good resources and nil funding. Missouri is pretty strong in the sec. never thought that would be the case.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Missouri will have 5 wins going into their final game, at home against Arkansas.

Missouri finishes with 5 wins this year.

• Wow

tired

Sep 16, 2013
All of those remain to be seen, one way or the other.
And the other SEC teams transfers are all All-Americans huh?

Lebby is going to make some of you eat plates of crow. Barring no major injuries, especially Shapen.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I say Ole Miss. if they don’t win a national championship this year their whole season is a bust and they should fire Kiffen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And the other SEC teams transfers are all All-Americans huh?

Lebby is going to make some of you eat plates of crow. Barring no major injuries, especially Shapen.
All I've ever said is Lebby may be a great hire or he may be a terrible hire. Nobody knows yet because we haven't seen anything from him yet. Recruiting and transfer rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but the rankings from independent sources aren't great. And the DC hire especially looks underwhelming. But we'll see.

Reactions: tired

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
All I've ever said is Lebby may be a great hire or he may be a terrible hire. Nobody knows yet because we haven't seen anything from him yet. Recruiting and transfer rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but the rankings from independent sources aren't great. And the DC hire especially looks underwhelming. But we'll see.
One thing I've learned....it is incredibly easy to see good coaching. I know that talent makes up a big chunk, and good coaches will still get blown out by significantly better talent. But you can always tell. You knew immediately in 1991, 2009 and 2020 that we were in good shape. You knew immediately in 2004 and 2018, that we were in trouble.

As far as the offseason, you got the warm and fuzzies in basically every one of them. Hell we were even fired up in 2003. Offseason means absolutely nothing.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Missouri will have 5 wins going into their final game, at home against Arkansas.

Missouri finishes with 5 wins this year.
I got 8 or 9 wins easily. They have the best WR in the SEC and their QB is one of the top two best.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login