Likely new OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
My WAG is that Arnett is using his knowledge as a defensive coach to choose an offensive scheme that he feels will cause the most trouble for his defense and most other defenses.

Reactions: drumrcraig

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If this is true, I am excited. Young guy who's going to GRIND! Hopefully, he and Arnett work well together and have lots of success. So much so that they are courted by the bluebloods and stolen away from us at some point, so we can complain about it bitterly on the SPS Board.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It sure feels like we are moving away from the Air Raid. Arnett wants to sink or swim his way, which I respect. But it sort of feels like next year will be yet another lost season (like 2018) where we were set up to be successful but we switch schemes and self-destruct on offense.
Yea, I am very disappointed in Arnett's moves on the offensive side of the ball. Not that I'm married to air raid, but we can win next year. Even if Air raid isn't what you want, better to win with something you don't love than lose with something you do. He's got a defense set up to win now. Take the low hanging fruit, run some modified air raid next year, and build some hype for yourself as head coach. If the air raid is successful, the OC will move on and then you can make a change when you have credibility.

This is one of those genius or idiot moves. If he makes it work as a first year head coach, changing offenses with a relatively inexperienced offensive coordinator, he is going to look like a genius. But if he doesn't, he's going to look like an idiot for even trying. As impressed as I have been with Arnett, I just don't believe he's going to do that in the SEC where he is facing a lot of really good coaches. Brian Kelly, Saban, and Kiffin are all good coaches. Arkansas has good coordinators. Stoops is very solid. Beamer appears to have USCe moving in the right direction. I know Arnett is smart, but trying to up the level of difficulty as a first year head coach with that schedule does not seem smart. Does he really think he's so much better than those other coaches that he can afford to make it harder in year one?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I may have been wrong about Will in this offense. It might actually help him. Not that many qb powers like Briles and lot high efficiency throws based on rpo and play action.
I still think we need to go talk to Howard.

Reactions: patdog

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
This is definitely not air raid. I would have preferred modified air raid but that got shut down by Georgia too so I'm not sure until we recruit right that it will matter against bama or Georgia. Tennessee got hammered by uga too.

judging by the staff changes arnett wasn't a fan of air raid
If we are going to select an offensive system based on its success or failure against Georgia, we just need to pack up and go home.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
His offenses ranked 23rd in 2021 and 26th in 2022 with yards per game and 36th and 23rd in points per game those seasons.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Yea, I am very disappointed in Arnett's moves on the offensive side of the ball. Not that I'm married to air raid, but we can win next year. Even if Air raid isn't what you want, better to win with something you don't love than lose with something you do. He's got a defense set up to win now. Take the low hanging fruit, run some modified air raid next year, and build some hype for yourself as head coach. If the air raid is successful, the OC will move on and then you can make a change when you have credibility.

This is one of those genius or idiot moves. If he makes it work as a first year head coach, changing offenses with a relatively inexperienced offensive coordinator, he is going to look like a genius. But if he doesn't, he's going to look like an idiot for even trying. As impressed as I have been with Arnett, I just don't believe he's going to do that in the SEC where he is facing a lot of really good coaches. Brian Kelly, Saban, and Kiffin are all good coaches. Arkansas has good coordinators. Stoops is very solid. Beamer appears to have USCe moving in the right direction. I know Arnett is smart, but trying to up the level of difficulty as a first year head coach with that schedule does not seem smart. Does he really think he's so much better than those other coaches that he can afford to make it harder in year one?
I hope to God he thinks he's at least as smart and capable as Kelly, Saban, and Kiffin are. I'm an old guy and I can tell you for a fact, experience is overrated. Hard work and hustle is what wins the day - every day. I think Arnett's got that and is finding staff that operates the same way.
Next year was never going to be the cake walk we might have imagined. Get your team together and get to work building your program.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is definitely not air raid. I would have preferred modified air raid but that got shut down by Georgia too so I'm not sure until we recruit right that it will matter against bama or Georgia. Tennessee got hammered by uga too.

judging by the staff changes arnett wasn't a fan of air raid

Judging the OC hire by how well we do against Bama and UGA is a fool’s errand. We’re not ever going to score much on those teams until we greatly upgrade the level of offensive recruits we bring in. How we do against OM, Arkansas, UK, Auburn, etc. is what matters.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
With this wasted season coming up (JoMo's 1st basically) I just hope we can have the same level of success with OM as Jo did..maybe we can win a couple more egg bowls before we have a regime change..
Why is it going to be a wasted season? This guy isn't running the wishbone. It's not like we had any explosive plays this year. Maybe this guy simplifies the offense, runs real route trees, and makes it easier for the QB whoever that may be to get the ball to a playmaker. Also,maybe just maybe the RB room doesn't stay banged up by running the same one play all season long and getting blasted play after play on dump passes.

I don't get the angst that some people have with the mindset that you can't both run AND pass. There were over THIRTY teams this season that had 2000 rush and 3000 pass yards. Several of those were SEC teams including, you guessed it, our friends up north.

At some point we were going to have to rebuild the roster. Sure it sucks that things happened the way they did, but at some point Leach was going to leave and we would have been in the same predicament.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Yes, he uses RPO. He does seem to adjust to the talent he has and not force the scheme.

My in-laws are App St folks and they really liked this guy. I enjoyed watching their offense more than ours this year. They had one of the better in their conference this year. Of course it’s the Sun Belt and no idea if it will translate, but I think this could be a good move long-term.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I may have been wrong about Will in this offense. It might actually help him. Not that many qb powers like Briles and lot high efficiency throws based on rpo and play action.
I still think we need to go talk to Howard.
I'll bet you on one thing about Will. Although he probably won't be able to successfully run the offense, he'll "pick it up" and understand it as quickly as anyone on the team and maybe quicker than some on the coaching staff.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Which most of those games our air raid offense was hot garbage except Arkansas last two years and Kentucky last year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hope to God he thinks he's at least as smart and capable as Kelly, Saban, and Kiffin are. I'm an old guy and I can tell you for a fact, experience is overrated. Hard work and hustle is what wins the day - every day. I think Arnett's got that and is finding staff that operates the same way.
Next year was never going to be the cake walk we might have imagined. Get your team together and get to work building your program.
Thinking he is as smart is good and probably necessary. Thinking he's smarter and better? That's only good if he is smarter and better.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If we are going to select an offensive system based on its success or failure against Georgia, we just need to pack up and go home.
You are missing the point. People wanting modified air raid and people wanting air raid were the ones preaching that was the way to compete with the big boys. Truth is that it doesn't. If we are judging our offense against other teams then the spread was just fine. The air raid crowd moved the goal posts. That's all I heard was air raid is the only shot we have of beating the bamas and georgias. Now it's well can't judge offense against Georgia or bama.

Reactions: kired and patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why is it going to be a wasted season? This guy isn't running the wishbone. It's not like we had any explosive plays this year. Maybe this guy simplifies the offense, runs real route trees, and makes it easier for the QB whoever that may be to get the ball to a playmaker. Also,maybe just maybe the RB room doesn't stay banged up by running the same one play all season long and getting blasted play after play on dump passes.

I don't get the angst that some people have with the mindset that you can't both run AND pass. There were over THIRTY teams this season that had 2000 rush and 3000 pass yards. Several of those were SEC teams including, you guessed it, our friends up north.

At some point we were going to have to rebuild the roster. Sure it sucks that things happened the way they did, but at some point Leach was going to leave and we would have been in the same predicament.
JoMo's first season was wasted because he wasn't a good coach more so than by transitioning offenses.

Our problem is QB. We have an air raid QB and nobody else close to ready. It's a little late in the game to get in on a transfer. If he's a good coach, the transition won't kill us. But unless he works some magic with Will, it's going to be hard for Will to run any non-air raid offense in the SEC.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Judging the OC hire by how well we do against Bama and UGA is a fool’s errand. We’re not ever going to score much on those teams until we greatly upgrade the level of offensive recruits we bring in. How we do against OM, Arkansas, UK, Auburn, etc. is what matters.

Exactamundo...

Reactions: Fang1

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017

In the short term, because we're going to try and run an offense we don't have the personnel to run efficiently (similar to JoMo's 1st season). In the long term because this is an offense that didn't work with a blue blood and we can't get the guys that it'll take to make it work here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You are missing the point. People wanting modified air raid and people wanting air raid were the ones preaching that was the way to compete with the big boys. Truth is that it doesn't. If we are judging our offense against other teams then the spread was just fine. The air raid crowd moved the goal posts. That's all I heard was air raid is the only shot we have of beating the bamas and georgias. Now it's well can't judge offense against Georgia or bama.
You're misstating those people's claims pretty significantly. None of those people were claiming we could take a Jr. high team and go beat UGA running the air raid. They were just saying we didn't have to have the same or better talent to win, which is probably true. Judging by how well our OL did without a lot of high end talent, I think if we had had another year or two to recruit and develop OL, we probably could have had a line that could function against the top SEC teams. Get a high quality QB (which based on recruiting rankings we were getting options even if the only one that had time in the system had not worked out), and maybe we could have competed with them. But the fact that we couldn't beat UGA with a mediocre line and a QB that can't stretch the field does not disprove the people that claimed air raid would minimize UGA's (or Bama's or whoever's athletic advantages). Nobody reasonably thought that they were claiming talent was irrelevant. Aside from the fact that it's a ridiculous position on its face, the fact that Leach never competed for national championships at Tech and WSU shows that talent still matters.

Reactions: KingCharlesSpaniel

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
His offenses ranked 23rd in 2021 and 26th in 2022 with yards per game and 36th and 23rd in points per game those seasons.

I know it's interesting, but those stats really don't mean ****, except that he's not a complete idiot.

JoMo looks like a genius when he has serious talent.

He's not.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
App State sucked in 2022. 3 and 5 in the Sun Belt ??? I hope I am missing something here. I am entirely underwhelmed

Reactions: mo7888

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
JoMo's first season was wasted because he wasn't a good coach more so than by transitioning offenses.

Our problem is QB. We have an air raid QB and nobody else close to ready. It's a little late in the game to get in on a transfer. If he's a good coach, the transition won't kill us. But unless he works some magic with Will, it's going to be hard for Will to run any non-air raid offense in the SEC.
Can't equate them the same for sure. Jo mo tried to make fitz a passing qb. This offense will can run fine because not asked to run up the middle 10 times a game. Moorhead's blocking schemes also sucked because it was a react blocking scheme and slow. This has tempo and linemen firing off the ball on rpo plays.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
After going back and looking at their schedule, it doesn’t look so bad. They lost a game where they scored 61 points and lost a game where they scored 48 points. Their defense was pretty bad, which led to several of their losses. They only scored fewer than 28 points in a game three times, (24, 21, and 17) and the 17 points was the win over A&M.

Reactions: GomJabbar

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022

I like the up tempo. I have always wanted to have an offense that moves on to the next play and tires the defense. Just not so fast your own offense isn't ready to execute the next play. I think Kiffin goes a little too fast and that is why they have drive killers too often.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They are run heavy Threw 29 times per game while rushing it 40.

That can be a function of where the talent is and is not.

No idea in this specific instance.

We were run heavy most of our history because we had a lot of ****** throwing QBs who could run.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
It sure feels like we are moving away from the Air Raid. Arnett wants to sink or swim his way, which I respect. But it sort of feels like next year will be yet another lost season (like 2018) where we were set up to be successful but we switch schemes and self-destruct on offense.
I think it's been pretty obvious we were moving away from the air raid, but some people refuse to read the tea leaves. Arnett has openly said he wants to own Mississippi in recruiting. Mississippi is not built to recruit for the air raid. If you are going to recruit Mississippi, you have to run an offense that will fit Mississippi recruits. I believe it will be a good thing to move on from the air raid over time due to the way NIL and being able to transfer has changed the landscape of college football. Running the air raid will require us to recruit out of state more and as we have seen with out of state kids is that they won't be loyal to an out of state school over an instate school. I may be wrong, but I believe Arnett is setting us up long term to be successful with the hires he has made. This hire will definitely settle the we need to run the ball more campaign.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Just from the picture I can tell you that’s a Lump Charcoal/ Wood guy. He’s a fan of sub $50 Bourbon. He pisses in the back yard just on principle. He wouldn’t be caught dead in an electric car. And he thinks we should run the gosh darn ball more!
My type of guy. My wife makes fun of me b/c I pass 2 toilets to piss in the backyard 😀. I use lump charcoal too and will never be able to afford an electric vehicle unless it’s a golf cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login