Likely new OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
Doesn't matter if it's 5 or 6. The point is Air Raid is growing and not going away. The point is, we are not going to recruit MS alone and win. The point is, no matter the effort of the staff, Bama, LSU and UGA will still get their pound of flesh. Ole Miss will get recruits in state.
I can promise you the air raid is not growing in Mississippi. None of those schools are football powerhouse's that have top D1 recruits. Mississippi is a knock your dick in the dirt football state and you do that by running the ball. Yes they are passing more, but it's not an air raid passing philosophy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why not? It potentially means more YAC and less throws. Unless Will has an NIL deal that pays him per completion, what QB wouldn't want a 40 yard TD over ten 4 yard completions?
This will also show that will can adapt to a different offense if he wants to make himself more attractive to possible nfl free agency. His arm strength will still hurt him.

it will take some pressure off,

still I would try to get Howard to come and tell him it's wide open next season.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
14327307 said:
We're hiring their OC, not DC.
Oh wow....okay. Damn....I thought we were hiting their DC to be our OC. Now I feel a lot better. We are hiring the guy that racked up all those points against James Madison and Georgia Southern.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah and I am saying the logic is flawed. No matter what system we choose, it's not going to beat Bama, UGA..etc. Only recruiting at a high level at skill positions is going to do that.

Air Raid was working or we would not have won 9 games. Our WR was the best it's ever been. Our QB room was too. That was the draw to this system. WRs want it. QBs want it. Skill positions.
I'm not arguing that the air raid wasn't working. You are correct for the most part it worked, but I'm saying it's not going to work with Arnett recruiting Mississippi heavily.

Our best WR was from Alabama this year and California last year. For the most part, all our WR's from Mississippi are undersized. Maybe that's why Will can't see them running open.
Our great QB room has 1 Mississippi recruit and the rest were from Texas.
Johnson is the only one from Mississippi of the RB's.
Our highest rated recruits for this class in the skill positions are not from Mississippi.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Oh wow....okay. Damn....I thought we were hiting their DC to be our OC. Now I feel a lot better. We are hiring the guy that racked up all those points against James Madison and Georgia Southern.
This team didn't struggle offensively.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Just from the picture I can tell you that’s a Lump Charcoal/ Wood guy. He’s a fan of sub $50 Bourbon. He pisses in the back yard just on principle. He wouldn’t be caught dead in an electric car. And he thinks we should run the gosh darn ball more!
Damn! Sounds like me!

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I can promise you the air raid is not growing in Mississippi. None of those schools are football powerhouse's that have top D1 recruits. Mississippi is a knock your dick in the dirt football state and you do that by running the ball. Yes they are passing more, but it's not an air raid passing philosophy.

You are missing the point. Air Raid is growing everywhere. We now have schools in MS running it. To compete with the bigs, we need to attract skill players. The air raid attracted the WRs and QBs. It doesn't matter how we try to lock down the state of Ms. Bama, LSU, UGA, and Ole Miss will get their share.

For Bama, that generally means who the hell ever they pick up the phone and offer. The one thing we had the ability to do is to attract those skill players at needed positions and take the knock you dick in the dirt players from here to have a team that wins 9. we were never going to worry about getting WRs or QBs.

All that needed to be done is a tweak to run more with added TEs.

Now we are changing systems and we will have to see what can be attracted to MSU at those skills. What WRs we can retain after spring. That's not saying that it will not work here and that we are going to fall off the face of planet.

Reactions: mo7888

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
He called the last play to defeat Troy who finished #19 ahead of us in the final rankings

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You are missing the point. Air Raid is growing everywhere. We now have schools in MS running it. To compete with the bigs, we need to attract skill players. The air raid attracted the WRs and QBs. It doesn't matter how we try to lock down the state of Ms. Bama, LSU, UGA, and Ole Miss will get their share.

For Bama, that generally means who the hell ever they pick up the phone and offer. The one thing we had the ability to do is to attract those skill players at needed positions and take the knock you dick in the dirt players from here to have a team that wins 9. we were never going to worry about getting WRs or QBs.

All that needed to be done is a tweak to run more with added TEs.

Now we are changing systems and we will have to see what can be attracted to MSU at those skills. What WRs we can retain after spring. That's not saying that it will not work here and that we are going to fall off the face of planet.
There are a lot more players in our recruiting footprint that fit this style of offense. ms, la, tn, ga, fl, ar, and some tx. Those states are loaded with talent for running backs receiver that can run in space and catch. Athletes. Qbs at all these little schools that are outstanding athletes can be a h back or receiver in this offense because they can move and make people miss

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm not arguing that the air raid wasn't working. You are correct for the most part it worked, but I'm saying it's not going to work with Arnett recruiting Mississippi heavily.

Our best WR was from Alabama this year and California last year. For the most part, all our WR's from Mississippi are undersized. Maybe that's why Will can't see them running open.
Our great QB room has 1 Mississippi recruit and the rest were from Texas.
Johnson is the only one from Mississippi of the RB's.
Our highest rated recruits for this class in the skill positions are not from Mississippi.
This was the point.

Now we are moving to a system that will attract what? Where are we getting the QBs that say "Man damn.. I want to go run that new App st offense at MSU!"

How many 4 star WRs are going to say "I want some of that run heavy over a passing more offense where I know that as #2 on rotation I'm still going to get my touches" Because # 2 on the rotation will see his touches majorly decreased simply by the amount of attempts.

Again, we are going to see how it goes and he will have my support 100%, but this looks to be moving backwards at the moment.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
At least for next season, I was hoping to either retain one of Leach's Off staff to serve as a one year buffer until we move to someone like this. The pass heavy teams from this season where we would have a chance at luring away their coordinators were Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, Purdue, SMU, UTSA, MTSU, and Houston. I'm not sure who the playcallers from those teams were or if they have already moved on to bigger jobs, but if Arnett wanted a coordinator to fit his present roster, those would have been who I started interviewing. Obviously Arnett is gonna rip the band aid off and begin building the team he wants now instead of putting it off a year to win games. This might be painful to watch next season, but I do like moving to more balance, just wanted to hold off a season.

Reactions: KingCharlesSpaniel

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
At least for next season, I was hoping to either retain one of Leach's Off staff to serve as a one year buffer until we move to someone like this. The pass heavy teams from this season where we would have a chance at luring away their coordinators were Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, Purdue, SMU, UTSA, MTSU, and Houston. I'm not sure who the playcallers from those teams were or if they have already moved on to bigger jobs, but if Arnett wanted a coordinator to fit his present roster, those would have been who I started interviewing. Obviously Arnett is gonna rip the band aid off and begin building the team he wants now instead of putting it off a year to win games. This might be painful to watch next season, but I do like moving to more balance, just wanted to hold off a season.
SMDH

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
There are a lot more players in our recruiting footprint that fit this style of offense. ms, la, tn, ga, fl, ar, and some tx. Those states are loaded with talent for running backs receiver that can run in space and catch. Athletes. Qbs at all these little schools that are outstanding athletes can be a h back or receiver in this offense because they can move and make people miss

All I have to do is go back in recent history to prove the point TB. The QBs we had that transferred out were mainly running QBs that could not throw well. One transferred and then became a WR. We could not recruit WRs that helped the QB at all.

Before Leach, with a QB that completes passes at the rate of APP St and CMU, we had the 74th ranked offense. 2 years before Leach, 51% completion and 69th.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
JoMo's first season was wasted because he wasn't a good coach more so than by transitioning offenses.

Our problem is QB. We have an air raid QB and nobody else close to ready. It's a little late in the game to get in on a transfer. If he's a good coach, the transition won't kill us. But unless he works some magic with Will, it's going to be hard for Will to run any non-air raid offense in the SEC.
Not that HS translates to college, but Brandon ran a RPO offense in HS with Will.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And BTW.. Our recruiting footprint was doing well recruiting 4 stars to the offensive of skill positions.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
This was the point.

Now we are moving to a system that will attract what? Where are we getting the QBs that say "Man damn.. I want to go run that new App st offense at MSU!"

How many 4 star WRs are going to say "I want some of that run heavy over a passing more offense where I know that as #2 on rotation I'm still going to get my touches" Because # 2 on the rotation will see his touches majorly decreased simply by the amount of attempts.

Again, we are going to see how it goes and he will have my support 100%, but this looks to be moving backwards at the moment.
This system will attract the Chris Parson of QB's. It's still a throwing system. It still runs 3 WR sets but also mixes in running sets with 2 WR's. The QB for App. St. almost threw for 3000 yards. You are right though it's not going to attract the Will's of the world. We don't need a statue at QB.

I disagree with the touches. Look at their touches now. We spread the ball around so much that our 2nd leading receiver averaged 38 yards a game and 4 catches a game. Even the amount of times we threw a game, guys were barely getting the ball. I mean our RB's had more catches than any receiver except Rufus. Now if you want to say our receivers ran more routes than what they are going to run then you would be correct.

It may be but it could also be more efficient, higher scoring and tougher to stop than the air raid.

Reactions: msstatelp1

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
He may want 40 yd completions but unless I've been mixing a drink or visiting the Templeton troughs, I haven't seen Will complete many. He's had some short completions turn into long gains w/ YAC but as far as throwing them 40 yds, not happening unless this new guy is a miracle worker. If a short 3-5 yd pass turns into a 40 yd TD, that makes Wills stats look good but thats not Will
Will doesn't complete any long passes, at least not against good competition. Its all dink and dunk.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Not that HS translates to college, but Brandon ran a RPO offense in HS with Will.
Brandon Ms High ran an RPO with Will Rogers and his dad Wyatt as OC ? I would have to disagree with you on that. Gardner did not run the RPO there either.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I know it's interesting, but those stats really don't mean ****, except that he's not a complete idiot.

JoMo looks like a genius when he has serious talent.

He's not.
Yeah jomo had talent and looked good.
This guy doesn’t have the talent and his rankings look good.

He may suck
He may not
But anyone saying this is a bad hire is a fool.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Our offense sucked this year. Our defense carried the great Air Raid. We needed a change and we made a good move. We've loaded up on good coaches and recruiters too.

Exactly. I think there were going to be changes in the offense even with Leach. The QB he recruited kind of pointed that way. There is no doubt that we were better on offense when we ran the ball a bit more.
So we are going back to the same old same ole that hasn’t worked for 139 years. Just damn
No. In case you haven't noticed Leach was about the only one that still ran the pure Air Raid. It's as antiquated as the Wishbone. Almost every modern offense is heavily laced with Air Raid concepts, but football has moved on from the pure thing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Our offense didn't suck.

This is why you're hard to read on any subject.

Everything is extremes with you.
I'm not sure where you are drawing the line for suck, but it was not good. Very few years will we have the ability to win 8 with the offense we put out this year. Most years, we lose Auburn and probably Ole Miss with that type of production. Most years it hurts a lot more for our offense to not give us a chance against Kentucky.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
There are some TE in the portal. One from Utah. Maybe if we get at least 2 he can get this thing rolling. It will be interesting to see who we pick up this weekend now that we have an OC

Reactions: KingCharlesSpaniel

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Most efficient passing offenses in college football. Better scoring offense than ours. Simply put, his offenses score points. And it's not like watching flys 17, like we've watched the last three years.

I wonder how those #'s would look with Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, and Illinois defenses on the schedule?

The best teams they played were Troy and TAMU.

The 40 in the 4th Quarter vs UNC is extremely impressive. I hope he's a huge success, but let's not make him better than Mike Leach when I doubt you knew his name last week.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm not sure where you are drawing the line for suck, but it was not good. Very few years will we have the ability to win 8 with the offense we put out this year. Most years, we lose Auburn and probably Ole Miss with that type of production. Most years it hurts a lot more for our offense to not give us a chance against Kentucky.

We're pretty middle of the road in FBS offensive rankings unless I'm missing something and we played 5 games against some of the better defenses in the country in UGA, Bama, LSU, Kentucky and Illinois. I don't know how Kentucky finished, but when we played them they had held every previous opponent to their lowest point total of the season.

I call that not sucking. It's different from calling it great.

Reactions: GomJabbar

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
This system will attract the Chris Parson of QB's. It's still a throwing system. It still runs 3 WR sets but also mixes in running sets with 2 WR's. The QB for App. St. almost threw for 3000 yards. You are right though it's not going to attract the Will's of the world. We don't need a statue at QB.

I disagree with the touches. Look at their touches now. We spread the ball around so much that our 2nd leading receiver averaged 38 yards a game and 4 catches a game. Even the amount of times we threw a game, guys were barely getting the ball. I mean our RB's had more catches than any receiver except Rufus. Now if you want to say our receivers ran more routes than what they are going to run then you would be correct.

It may be but it could also be more efficient, higher scoring and tougher to stop than the air raid.
No it won't. Chris Parson is proof of that. He chose MSU and air raid over that.

You are twisting up stats. LOL. We are talking WRs. Half of those are going to have no touches to speak of at this point. You are seeing all of the USA WRs transferring out. We will not be an exception with this system. They are going to see it does exactly is being said every where. You will have you main 3 or 4 and then the back ups. Those 3 to 4 will remain on the field 75% of the time. App St had 3 WRs with 20 or more catches.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So for the record you don’t think it’s bad?

No idea of it's bad, but I'm certain I don't know if it's good either. That's why I asked the question.

I'm trying to understand why anyone here thinks this is immediately a good hire. How many knew this guy at all before today or this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login