Likely new OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Does "Jim McElwain disciple" worry anyone else. I know nothing about this hire and nothing about JM except his sting at FL, which is negative.
McElwain was the OC at Alabama from 2008-2011 and won two national titles before he took the head coaching job at Colorado State. He actually did win the SEC East twice at Florida but was fired in his third season because he’s just a weird guy who had sex with a shark.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
McElwain was the OC at Alabama from 2008-2011 and won two national titles before he took the head coaching job at Colorado State. He actually did win the SEC East twice at Florida but was fired in his third season because he’s just a weird guy who had sex with a shark.
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
That can be a function of where the talent is and is not.

No idea in this specific instance.

We were run heavy most of our history because we had a lot of ****** throwing QBs who could run.

Can be, but I don't think so. Last year at Central Mich, they rushed it 520 time to 420. They had a QB hitting 62%

vicksburg

Sep 28, 2022
0 and 20 as a high school head coach? wow... Hope he learned alot the last 10 years...

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
This is definitely not air raid. I would have preferred modified air raid but that got shut down by Georgia too so I'm not sure until we recruit right that it will matter against bama or Georgia. Tennessee got hammered by uga too.

judging by the staff changes arnett wasn't a fan of air raid
Had nothing to do with the system. Had everything to do with the talent gap.
You are missing the point. People wanting modified air raid and people wanting air raid were the ones preaching that was the way to compete with the big boys. Truth is that it doesn't. If we are judging our offense against other teams then the spread was just fine. The air raid crowd moved the goal posts. That's all I heard was air raid is the only shot we have of beating the bamas and georgias. Now it's well can't judge offense against Georgia or bama.
No, it's not the truth. TCU had a total of like 14 four stars and some of those were freshmen. They were never going to compete against the 60 five and 4 stars on UGA with a 12th year starting QB

Reactions: GomJabbar

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I think it's been pretty obvious we were moving away from the air raid, but some people refuse to read the tea leaves. Arnett has openly said he wants to own Mississippi in recruiting. Mississippi is not built to recruit for the air raid. If you are going to recruit Mississippi, you have to run an offense that will fit Mississippi recruits. I believe it will be a good thing to move on from the air raid over time due to the way NIL and being able to transfer has changed the landscape of college football. Running the air raid will require us to recruit out of state more and as we have seen with out of state kids is that they won't be loyal to an out of state school over an instate school. I may be wrong, but I believe Arnett is setting us up long term to be successful with the hires he has made. This hire will definitely settle the we need to run the ball more campaign.

Official Air Raid Certified Members:

Madison Ridgeland Academy

Mooreville (HS) (HC)

Madison-Ridgeland (HS)

Lewisburg (HS) (OC)

Scott Central Attendance Center (HS)

Gautier (HS)

Air Raid and modifications of it is the future. https://airraidcertified.com/

Dec 17, 2017
Why is it going to be a wasted season? This guy isn't running the wishbone. It's not like we had any explosive plays this year. Maybe this guy simplifies the offense, runs real route trees, and makes it easier for the QB whoever that may be to get the ball to a playmaker. Also,maybe just maybe the RB room doesn't stay banged up by running the same one play all season long and getting blasted play after play on dump passes.

I don't get the angst that some people have with the mindset that you can't both run AND pass. There were over THIRTY teams this season that had 2000 rush and 3000 pass yards. Several of those were SEC teams including, you guessed it, our friends up north.

At some point we were going to have to rebuild the roster. Sure it sucks that things happened the way they did, but at some point Leach was going to leave and we would have been in the same predicament.
I would expect some problems in changing to a new offense. Personnel being a big one. We have no TEs and not enough RBs. I would expect next year to be a drop off as we attempt to adjust the roster and as the players adjust to the new scheme.

Reactions: Dawg1976

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Why not? It potentially means more YAC and less throws. Unless Will has an NIL deal that pays him per completion, what QB wouldn't want a 40 yard TD over ten 4 yard completions?
He may want 40 yd completions but unless I've been mixing a drink or visiting the Templeton troughs, I haven't seen Will complete many. He's had some short completions turn into long gains w/ YAC but as far as throwing them 40 yds, not happening unless this new guy is a miracle worker. If a short 3-5 yd pass turns into a 40 yd TD, that makes Wills stats look good but thats not Will

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Had nothing to do with the system. Had everything to do with the talent gap.

No, it's not the truth. TCU had a total of like 14 four stars and some of those were freshmen. They were never going to compete against the 60 five and 4 stars on UGA with a 12th year starting QB
And we wouldn't either running the air raid or any other offense. Only hope is to raise recruiting and bring in some stars. Arnett seems to be really focused on a building outstand defense and recruiting our base. Without the name leach you probably aren't recruiting guys like Robertson or Locke anymore. Only way was to get someone like grimes or lingo. According to everyone we weren't going to get them so might as well go with what fits your recruiting base

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
OK. I feel better...I think...

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
He may want 40 yd completions but unless I've been mixing a drink or visiting the Templeton troughs, I haven't seen Will complete many. He's had some short completions turn into long gains w/ YAC but as far as throwing them 40 yds, not happening unless this new guy is a miracle worker. If a short 3-5 yd pass turns into a 40 yd TD, that makes Wills stats look good but thats not Will
Maybe so, but a 40 yard TD doesn't have to equate to a 40 yard pass in the air. Tulu makes a guy miss and takes it to the house on a 10 yard curl. Robinson runs a slant and Will hits him in the chest 15 yards downfield and he takes it to the house.

Point being there are ways to get creative with routes. It just wasn't happening with Leach. The crossers were good for short yardage, but NOBODY was breaking them for big gains. And the guys that were getting open, Will was not seeing in time.

Freeze, Briles, and Kiffin are able to scheme with 2 or 3 WR routes and still get guys running wide open. Dumb the offense down, quick reads, take some of the pressure off the QB and those guys are still putting up crazy numbers. It CAN and HAS been done in the SEC by teams with talent similar to ours.

Reactions: drumrcraig

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yes, he uses RPO. He does seem to adjust to the talent he has and not force the scheme.

My in-laws are App St folks and they really liked this guy. I enjoyed watching their offense more than ours this year. They had one of the better in their conference this year. Of course it’s the Sun Belt and no idea if it will translate, but I think this could be a good move long-term.
"I enjoyed watching their offense more than ours this year"

I can say that about most any game I watched the last 3 years. Ours put up some wins but damn it was painfully boring to watch

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And we wouldn't either running the air raid or any other offense. Only hope is to raise recruiting and bring in some stars. Arnett seems to be really focused on a building outstand defense and recruiting our base. Without the name leach you probably aren't recruiting guys like Robertson or Locke anymore. Only way was to get someone like grimes or lingo. According to everyone we weren't going to get them so might as well go with what fits your recruiting base

That's only opinion. But we had way more 4 stars on our team than TCU. And largely at the needed Skill positions.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012

Official Air Raid Certified Members:

Madison Ridgeland Academy

Mooreville (HS) (HC)

Madison-Ridgeland (HS)

Lewisburg (HS) (OC)

Scott Central Attendance Center (HS)

Gautier (HS)

Air Raid and modifications of it is the future. https://airraidcertified.com/
Yeah those schools produce alot of D1 talent, so we definitely should keep the air raid. I did get a good laugh at Lewisburg.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Maybe so, but a 40 yard TD doesn't have to equate to a 40 yard pass in the air. Tulu makes a guy miss and takes it to the house on a 10 yard curl. Robinson runs a slant and Will hits him in the chest 15 yards downfield and he takes it to the house.

Point being there are ways to get creative with routes. It just wasn't happening with Leach. The crossers were good for short yardage, but NOBODY was breaking them for big gains. And the guys that were getting open, Will was not seeing in time.

Freeze, Briles, and Kiffin are able to scheme with 2 or 3 WR routes and still get guys running wide open. Dumb the offense down, quick reads, take some of the pressure off the QB and those guys are still putting up crazy numbers. It CAN and HAS been done in the SEC by teams with talent similar to ours.
This will be a lot easier to break big pass plays as people have to respect run and won't be playing a lot of Nickel or deep coverage on us. Should open the field more for pass

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
And more will transition. We can not recruit MS only and win. Not happening. Bama is going to pull people and LSU will too. UGA will. That's not going to change.

Ole Miss isn't going away.
That sounds like if my Aunt was born with a pen.... well you get the point. No one is saying we are only going to recruit Mississippi but if we heavily recruit Mississippi then air raid is not going to work.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
It's 5. One is put on their twice.
Doesn't matter if it's 5 or 6. The point is Air Raid is growing and not going away. The point is, we are not going to recruit MS alone and win. The point is, no matter the effort of the staff, Bama, LSU and UGA will still get their pound of flesh. Ole Miss will get recruits in state.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
That sounds like if my Aunt was born with a pen.... well you get the point. No one is saying we are only going to recruit Mississippi but if we heavily recruit Mississippi then air raid is not going to work.
Yeah and I am saying the logic is flawed. No matter what system we choose, it's not going to beat Bama, UGA..etc. Only recruiting at a high level at skill positions is going to do that.

Air Raid was working or we would not have won 9 games. Our WR was the best it's ever been. Our QB room was too. That was the draw to this system. WRs want it. QBs want it. Skill positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login