Likely new OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Exactly. I think there were going to be changes in the offense even with Leach. The QB he recruited kind of pointed that way. There is no doubt that we were better on offense when we ran the ball a bit more.

No. In case you haven't noticed Leach was about the only one that still ran the pure Air Raid. It's as antiquated as the Wishbone. Almost every modern offense is heavily laced with Air Raid concepts, but football has Moved on from the pure thing.
Leech ran the pure Air Raid but added a few more runs because he had to adapt to the personnel he had. He did not have a stable of ends and slots as he did in the past.

There is a lot of dart throwing on the board that may or may not be near the target. What I have heard so far about this guy is that he is up tempo, progressive offensive style, many of the best teams run. Good.

I also hear a lot of hand wringing because we don't have an Air Raid Apostle. Realistically, there weren't many available coaches available in that world

The way I see it Coach Arnett got a great candidate who he can expect to run a contemporary, fast moving offense on his own with the players he has, can get, and hope to recruit in the future.

One big thing you savants are forgetting is he agreed to take the job knowing full well who he had to follow up. If he has the balls to follow up Leach, he deserves a good chance in my book.

Here's to hoping he can find or adapt the players he needs by next fall. I have a feeling we are NOT going back to the 3 runs up the middle and punt football

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
If anyone wants to see Barbay’s offense in action, highlights of just about all App State’s 2022 games are on YouTube. I also found four full games of theirs on YouTube. Their games against Texas A&M (17-14 win), Troy (32-28 win), Coastal Carolina (35-28 loss) and Georgia Southern (51-48 loss in 2OT) are in full on YouTube.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Change was coming. We all knew that and expressed that. Our offense needed some tweaks. It was not great. Yards and points per game App State was ahead of us. Albeit against much lesser defenses, but like I said about Leach this guy will have better athletes now than he had at CMU or App. I wanted Slade but these offenses sound similar scheme wise and this guy has a little more experience.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
No it won't. Chris Parson is proof of that. He chose MSU and air raid over that.

You are twisting up stats. LOL. We are talking WRs. Half of those are going to have no touches to speak of at this point. You are seeing all of the USA WRs transferring out. We will not be an exception with this system. They are going to see it does exactly is being said every where. You will have you main 3 or 4 and then the back ups. Those 3 to 4 will remain on the field 75% of the time. App St had 3 WRs with 20 or more catches.
Parson did not choose the air raid. He chose MSU. My point was QB's with his skill set will want to play in this offense.

How are stats twisted? Also, wouldn't you want your explosive guys on the field more? I think that was one of the gripes with Leach was that we didn't get the ball to the guys who could take it to the house more on any given play.

On the flip side when Barbay was at Central Michigan their leading WR had 62 catches for 960 yards. The 2nd and 3rd options had 49 catches for 687 and 45 catches for 701 yards. 4th option had 31 catches for 367 yards. And that doesn't include the RB having 40 catches for 338 yards. So who is twisting stats?

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Geez calm down guys. Deep breaths.
Jennifer Aniston Fighting GIF

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
So we are going back to the same old same ole that hasn’t worked for 139 years. Just damn
We are for sure not an Air Raid team anymore. As someone that has been an OC, albeit in 5a and 6a Mississippi high school ball, for the better part of 10 years I am starting to wonder if some on here know what an RPO offense is versus a spread or the Air Raid.

The truth is there is no reason to panic. It is not like we are going to the triple option. From what I understand the offense this guy runs is an RPO heavy offense but still features concepts from the Air Raid with more balance. Will can be successful in a RPO attack as long as we understand the running plays should be things like power and counter that do not force Will to run. Inside zone is probably out for that reason, but you can be an RPO team without having a running quarterback you just have to have that threat coming from your backs.

You cant rush 3 and drop 8 with this offense and the balance is what allows you to dictate the box. Dictating the box is what drives offensive success. Meaning if I see 6 or less I run on it. To me the name of the game is balance in offense in order to force the defense into the look I want them in. To be clear we could have kept the Air Raid and added more run based concepts in order to achieve balance. We did not have to do a house cleaning of the Leach offensive staff. Arnett is in charge now, and he will live or die based on this OC decision. Just one devils opinion, again it probably not worth very much.

Added: Plus is not like we are hiring Mike Bobo. That would have been a wholesale change not what this guy will bring if indeed he is our next OC.

Last edited:

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Change was coming. We all knew that and expressed that. Our offense needed some tweaks. It was not great. Yards and points per game App State was ahead of us. Albeit against much lesser defenses, but like I said about Leach this guy will have better athletes now than he had at CMU or App. I wanted Slade but these offenses sound similar scheme wise and this guy has a little more experience.
The “App State put up points, but against lesser defenses” angle doesn’t make any sense to me because you do understand they have “lesser talent” on their offense than we do?

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Interesting post from an App State insider....

Mississippi State called Kevin Barbay yesterday afternoon, he interviewed last night, and he took the job this morning. I found out about the interview last night, the rest broke down this morning when I was driving to Boone. The deal is two years at $900K base, so simple math there. This is why, when I was recently asked if I thought we were clear on Barbay that I stated we are until we aren't. This entire scenario took less than 18 hours. That's the profession.

Clark would like stop the churn here, really would, but how do you possibly achieve that? Because here's another truth that came to me from someone who places coaches; reviewing App's staff list for openings is a common practice throughout the industry, just as our commitment list is with potential poachers. Now, it's not totally hopeless, because before Barbay took this gig, he turned down FAU, Lamar as head coach, and a lower-level P5. He deemed that none of those were worth it for him to leave, but $900K would have anyone calling the movers. Just the way it is, but it's not like first chance to get out the door cost us Barbay. He'd said "No," on previous occasions.

Sounds like Barbay's motivation is purely financial?

Reactions: ntzdog

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I liked Tulanes offense but I wasn't sure how much of that was slade or the staff as a whole. Hard to know. I was a fritz guy before we hire Moorhead. I thought he would have picked up well after Mullen. The app stste offense looks about the same as it was with satterfield and Drinkwitz just fewer qb runs. So hard to tell there how much of that is app State. CMU looks more pro style. I feel like Barbay will be a blend of app State and cmu style since that's his background.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The “App State put up points, but against lesser defenses” angle doesn’t make any sense to me because you do understand they have “lesser talent” on their offense than we do?

It's a pointless comparison for many reasons. This guy's a pretty unknown commodity at this level of football/responsibility. Time will tell, but anyone acting like it's a great hire seems a bit premature.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
My first thought...

#CallingDrBarbay

Samantha or Jeanie? The age old question. I could not decide as a kid, I loved them both. Now I see clearly that Jeanie was bat **** crazy and would trap your *** in a bottle at the first sign of trouble. Sam is the only correct choice.

Need HelenInClinton to weigh in.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It woulda taken us 2 games to score 60 @ NC. App State woulda scored more against Bamer, LSU, KY and UGA than us.

They didn't score more against TAMU than us. The only comp game.

And they wouldn't have scored 60 on UNC without getting their *** kicked entering the 4th quarter.

Kinda like us at Auburn.

These debates are pointless.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022

Mississippi State called Kevin Barbay yesterday afternoon, he interviewed last night, and he took the job this morning. I found out about the interview last night, the rest broke down this morning when I was driving to Boone. The deal is two years at $900K base, so simple math there. This is why, when I was recently asked if I thought we were clear on Barbay that I stated we are until we aren't. This entire scenario took less than 18 hours. That's the profession.

Clark would like stop the churn here, really would, but how do you possibly achieve that? Because here's another truth that came to me from someone who places coaches; reviewing App's staff list for openings is a common practice throughout the industry, just as our commitment list is with potential poachers. Now, it's not totally hopeless, because before Barbay took this gig, he turned down FAU, Lamar as head coach, and a lower-level P5. He deemed that none of those were worth it for him to leave, but $900K would have anyone calling the movers. Just the way it is, but it's not like first chance to get out the door cost us Barbay. He'd said "No," on previous occasions.

Makes sense. Every job change I’ve made has been purely comp related.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
App State went 6-6 this past year and missed a bowl game for the first time since 2014.
My grandmother's great aunt said that Barbay was operating under the thumb of the head coach, who would not give him total authority to run his offense. Her estimation was that they would have won 4 more games if not for the dipshit HC. So Dr. Barbay would have had App State at 10-2 and in contention for a New Years Day bowl.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Dammit. Just depressing to me that college football is so degraded we couldn't find an OC willing to do it for the love of the game.**

• Haha
Reactions: Southern Law Dawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
They didn't score more against TAMU than us. The only comp game.

And they wouldn't have scored 60 on UNC without getting their *** kicked entering the 4th quarter.

Kinda like us at Auburn.

These debates are pointless.
Valid Points. Just sayin' that our offense was way too often anemic and it was our D that got us the 9 wins, not our O. App State's O was bettern ours. We had a handicapped QB who allowed D's to not hafta cover many parts of the field that created painful stagnation that I look forward to not ever seeing again. I Hope.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Valid Points. Just sayin' that our offense was way too often anemic and it was our D that got us the 9 wins, not our O. App State's O was bettern ours. We had a handicapped QB who allowed D's to not hafta cover many parts of the field that created painful stagnation that I look forward to not ever seeing again. I Hope.

I'm betting our new OC will be much happier to have that handicapped QB than some here at SPS will like.

And no O or D has ever won 9 games. Teams do that. Our D had plenty of rough moments against good teams, just like our O.

Reactions: drumrcraig

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No idea of it's bad, but I'm certain I don't know if it's good either. That's why I asked the question.

I'm trying to understand why anyone here thinks this is immediately a good hire. How many knew this guy at all before today or this week?
How many people knew any offensive coordinators before they came to Mississippi state in the last 25 years?

i mean like really knew something about them and they were a commodity

and OC to head coach doesn’t count

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
How many people knew any offensive coordinators before they came to Mississippi state in the last 25 years?

i mean like really knew something about them and they were a commodity

and OC to head coach doesn’t count

Well, I knew a few because they had been head coaches other places.

But that's kind of my point. There's little basis for concluding this is either a good or bad hire. It's a hire and we'll find out.

I was questioning why anyone had a strong opinion so quickly (in 5 minutes).

Reactions: drumrcraig

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Dammit. Just depressing to me that college football is so degraded we couldn't find an OC willing to do it for the love of the game.**
Well if his desire is to be a head coach, he passed on it twice. State isn't offering a new opportunity other than the dough. Not hating on the idea, just caught me as unusual.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well, I knew a few because they had been head coaches other places.

But that's kind of my point. There's little basis for concluding this is either a good or bad hire. It's a hire and we'll find out.

I was questioning why anyone had a strong opinion so quickly (in 5 minutes).
Strong opinion?
He said it was a good hire.
He didn’t say it was a great hire or he knew it was a guaranteed good hire.

but you are right. Wait and see is the best approach

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Strong opinion?
He said it was a good hire.
He didn’t say it was a great hire or he knew it was a guaranteed good hire.

but you are right. Wait and see is the best approach

And I simply said "Tell me what's good about it?",

which you seemed to assume meant I thought it was a bad hire, which I did not.

Moving on is the right thing I think.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And I simply said "Tell me what's good about it?",

which you seemed to assume meant I thought it was a bad hire, which I did not.

Moving on is the right thing I think.
Yes move along!

Im more excited about this hire than I would be with say a les koenning

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm betting our new OC will be much happier to have that handicapped QB than some here at SPS will like.

And no O or D has ever won 9 games. Teams do that. Our D had plenty of rough moments against good teams, just like our O.
I beg to differ on the amount of "rough moments" each had.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We are for sure not an Air Raid team anymore. As someone that has been an OC, albeit in 5a and 6a Mississippi high school ball, for the better part of 10 years I am starting to wonder if some on here know what an RPO offense is versus a spread or the Air Raid. The truth is there is no reason to panic. It is not like we are going to the triple option. From what I understand the offense this guy runs is an RPO heavy offense but still features concepts from the Air Raid with more balance. Will can be successful in a RPO attack as long as we understand the running plays should be things like power and counter that do not force Will to run. Inside zone is probably out for that reason, but you can be an RPO team without having a running quarterback you just have to have that threat coming from your backs. You cant rush 3 and drop 8 with this offense and the balance is what allows you to dictate the box. Dictating the box is what drives offensive success. Meaning if I see 6 or less I run on it. To me the name of the game is balance in offense in order to force the defense into the look I want them in. To be clear we could have kept the Air Raid and added more run based concepts in order to achieve balance. We did not have to do a house cleaning of the Leach offensive staff. Arnett is in charge now and he will live or die based on this OC decision. Just one devils opinion, again it probably not worth very much.

Added: Plus is not like we are hiring Mike Bobo. That would have been a wholesale change not what this guy will bring if indeed he is our next OC.

Please don't throw me in a lava filled pit of despair for eternity, but...

paragraphs really make long thoughts like this easier to read and digest on little phone devices.

Reactions: 77Dog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Please don't throw me in a lava filled pit of despair for eternity, but...

paragraphs really make long thoughts like this easier to read and digest on little phone devices.
That was on my laptop and I kind of got on a roll. So I do apologize. Plus the pits aren’t filled with lava we use clean burning propane. Never seen King of the Hill?

Last edited:
Reactions: She Mate Me

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
ibleedmaroondawg wrote : “One big thing you are forgetting is he agreed to take the job knowing full well who he had to follow up. If he has the balls to follow up Leach, he deserves a good chance in my book. “

Ok, yes I will buy that.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Good post, and you can see who was spot on and who were completely wrong. oddly enough those who were completely wrong continue spewing out bilge - mostly trashing Leach and telling us how bad he was. Theyve learned nothing.

Yep!

We have made a horrible hire. He took an APP STATE team that returned it's starting QB (SR) and returned 2 RBs that were 1000 yard rushers from 7-1 in the conference to 3-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login