Mississippi towns (such as Starkville) and integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Evolution doesn't "say" anything although I'd be interested in finding out what traits, or genes, and from what populations, you believe are most important in modern society. But I guess if evolution naturally produces diversity then I have a diverse family. I just thought we were all white people but apparently a business can hire my entire family and be diverse and inclusive of diversity. We're products of evolution and we all have some genetic diversity.
evolution says everything. small communities of like minded and morals were able to work together to survive. if you were an outlier you were eliminated. the number one priority was the community.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
The first sentence is incorrect.
And the second sentence is incorrect.

...so this is all just incorrect.
pffft you can define it how YOU want but the goal is exactly how he defined it

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
DEI is a financial policy introduced by BlackRocks Larry Fink that affects all major corporations and investment holdings, it’s not just a slogan it influences corporate policy and HIRING procedures. Look it up “S&P 100, 300 thousand jobs created 94% went to non-white hires in the wake of corporate DEI policy”..Bloomberg News
pffft you can define it how YOU want but the goal is exactly how he defined it
You know what plays right into all this garbage? That's right.....public m17ing schools. The thing everybody thinks they have to have. Create obedient drones who line up for shlt corporate jobs that are so bloated they you can afford to teach things like DEI.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
DEI is a financial policy introduced by BlackRocks Larry Fink that affects all major corporations and investment holdings, it’s not just a slogan it influences corporate policy and HIRING procedures. Look it up “S&P 100, 300 thousand jobs created 94% went to non-white hires in the wake of corporate DEI policy”..Bloomberg News
Yup. Corporations rich enough can support DEI policies. Republicans are slowly coming around to the idea that corporations aren't their friends. They're in the business of making money and some support social and cultural transformation. I'm not sure whether that stat is accurate but there is a concerted effort to discriminate against heterosexual white males in some parts of our society.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yup. Corporations rich enough can support DEI policies. Republicans are slowly coming around to the idea that corporations aren't their friends. They're in the business of making money and some support social and cultural transformation. I'm not sure whether that stat is accurate but there is a concerted effort to discriminate against heterosexual white males in some parts of our society.
They want to discriminate against anyone who can think for themselves, and know better than to fall for the BS.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
evolution says everything. small communities of like minded and morals were able to work together to survive. if you were an outlier you were eliminated. the number one priority was the community.
Evolution doesn't speak. It doesn't say anything. What are small communities of morals? Saying the main focus was on the community "says" nothing about the importance of diversity. You're really saying conformity and a lack of diversity are what matters for community survival.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
That stat is from Bloomberg news. It’s not an opinion it’s a fact. look up DEI policy definitions.

Corporations don’t have a choice , it’s enforced on investment holdings. This is why you see Universities make DEI hires, because they have billion dollar endowments that get rewarded or penalized based on DEI.

Maskhater

Aug 30, 2023
A retired teacher told me recently the hardest year she ever taught was the first year of integration at Starkville High for all the obvious reasons but she also told me something I’d never considered.

That the black community was very proud of their Henderson HIgh Scool and was not interested in integration and was pissed about being forced to.

We were never taught this in school and I wonder how prevalent this opinion was among blacks around the state/country.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
That stat is from Bloomberg news. It’s not an opinion it’s a fact. look up DEI policy definitions.

Corporations don’t have a choice , it’s enforced on investment holdings. This is why you see Universities make DEI hires, because they have billion dollar endowments that get rewarded or penalized based on DEI.
And Republicans have let this happen

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
A retired teacher told me recently the hardest year she ever taught was the first year of integration at Starkville High for all the obvious reasons but she also told me something I’d never considered.

That the black community was very proud of their Henderson HIgh Scool and was not interested in integration and was pissed about being forced to.

We were never taught this in school and I wonder how prevalent this opinion was among blacks around the state/country.
Integration led to the loss of a lot of black teachers and their numbers haven't really recovered, especially for black male teachers. White women are vastly over-represented in the K-12 teaching profession.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Recently a Federal Judge consolidated the two HSs in Cleveland, MS into one. One HS was roughly 50/50 black/white and the other overwhelmingly black. The folks I know in Cleveland say that most folks in town, both black and white, were against the consolidation. The real winners were the nearby private schools.

Reactions: Maskhater

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
And Republicans have let this happen
Yes, we have a uniparty. I think the DEI policy was implemented by stealth during COVID. It would seem to be unconstitutional on its face. It’s blatantly discriminatory.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yes, we have a uniparty. I think the DEI policy was implemented by stealth during COVID. It would seem to be unconstitutional on its face. It’s blatantly discriminatory.
It pre-dates Covid. It was amped up during the Trump administration and Republicans, people who don't seem all that concerned about what's going on on college campuses or in K-12 classrooms, didn't take an interest in it until recently.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As a general rule in Mississippi, where there is a private academy that was founded within a few years of integration, the public schools tend to be bad. There are exceptions I'm sure, but not many.
That's true but there are also lots of places with bad public schools that didn't have segregation academies. And even where there were segregation academies, some public schools went decades before turning bad. Even ignoring Cleveland, there were public schools in the Delta that were fine into the early to mid 90's. Hattiesburg was still a good school into the late 90's at least.

As has been mentioned, the reality is that generally good parents/students are what make schools good, and once the involved parents that you need lose trust in the schools, the schools go down pretty quickly. Racism caused that pretty much immediately in some places. But other places had enough parents stay after integration to survive, but then lost that trust a decade or three later.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I
I was just using them as an example of an economic engine overcoming race issues inside the town. But just curious, what is your criteria? Can I used tourism? Only use certain industries?

Let's go Thomasville, AL. Great mayor who has recruited a ton of industry. Public and private schools.

What about Tupelo for that matter? They recently opened a private school even with the success of their public school. What does that tell you?

You realize that I will be limited by the towns I can choose, because most of the industry is going to big cities anyway? Thus, why small town schools are slowly declining as well? Thus the point of this, no matter if a private school popped up or not.

So I don't really understand your point. College towns are the perfect examples of how money overcomes race/schools splitting, etc.

I just find college towns that are very dependent on their college for their success economically to be such outliers from other small towns that they're not very worthwhile as comparisons.

I've kinda lost the thread on what this thread is about, if I ever had it.

That said, I find Yazoo City kind of a sad, fascinating history of race and economics in Mississippi. There's a lot that has been written by storytellers as great as Willie Morris. I recommend those interested in learning something seek out that writing.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I

I just find college towns that are very dependant on their college for their success economically to be such outliers from other small towns that they're not very worthwhile as comparisons.

I've kinda lost the thread on what this thread is about, if I ever had it.

That said, I find Yazoo City kind of a sad, fascinating history of race and economics in Mississippi. There's a lot that has been written by storytellers as great as Willie Morris. I recommend those interested in learning something to seek out that writing.
Was Yazoo ever that great? I have no idea, but those folks have been getting degrees and heading to Jackson for years (trend all over the country). Guess a select few big landowners had some money.

But I will say, I saw Greenwood go from declining quickly to all that injection from Viking/Alluvian/etc. But of course they sold out so it was short lived. And there's no more segregated area than Greenwood.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Was Yazoo ever that great? I have no idea, but those folks have been getting degrees and heading to Jackson for years (trend all over the country). Guess a select few big landowners had some money.

But I will say, I saw Greenwood go from declining quickly to all that injection from Viking/Alluvian/etc. But of course they sold out so it was short lived. And there's no more segregated area than Greenwood.

Like I said, it's worth reading about.

The engine in Yazoo for years was Mississippi Chemical, which brought in professionals, managers and engineers, from other places.

It has completely fallen off the ledge since those professionals have left.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I made it thru about 2/3 of the article. Here are some highlights from it. Nothing seems to scream 'white man is now barred from advancement and innovation shall suffer', even though that is what you claimed with your historical examples earlier.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/...y-corporate-diversity/?embedded-checkout=true
  • For a brief moment in 2020, much of corporate America united around a common goal: to address the stark racial imbalances in their workplaces.
  • In 2021, Hispanic, Asian and Black people made up a vast majority of the added workers — a trend that, analysts say, is necessary to overcome their historic underrepresentation.
  • The biggest shifts happened in less-senior job categories.
  • White people still hold a disproportionate share of the top, highly paid jobs in the US at S&P 100 companies. But the share of executive, managerial and professional roles held by people of color increased by about 2 percentage points compared with 2020
  • For years, companies have blamed the lack of a sufficient recruiting pipeline for why their workplaces don’t reflect the country’s racial and ethnic makeup...The latest findings show that when under pressure to hire and promote qualified diverse talent, organizations find a way to do it.
  • That still leaves most companies in our dataset lopsided, with White people holding a disproportionate share of high-paying jobs at S&P 100 companies.

So a bunch of qualified people from groups that have been underrepresented for years, were hired at an increased rate for mostly entry level jobs, even though companies had claimed for years that they couldnt find qualified people from those groups. And while there was some change at the top, it was a 2% increase.

This is what you are ranting about?

I want a system that evaluates on merit, but I am also able to recognize the hilariousness in a group of people who held pretty much all of the economic and political power for centuries and used it to actively discriminate against others so that power could be retained and grow, are now complaining that hiring practices sometimes favor other groups over them.
Again, yeah I absolutely want people to be hired for their experience/knowledge/abilities regardless of color/gender/religion/culture, but we dont have a history of always doing that.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You are many years late on when you think Diversity entered into corporate hiring practices. And you are many years late if you think Inclusion was implemented during covid.

As for these things being blatantly discriminatory, perhaps they are. Discriminatory hiring and management have been common within companies for decades...even centuries.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
It’s more likely the 1970 academies (one of which I attended and graduated) were founded because in 1969 the US Supreme Court ordered immediate desegregation in Alexander v. Holmes County Board of Education

The JPS decision was bundled with the Holmes Cnty decision. The JPS decision forced busing in Jackson which led to the Christmas 1969 formation of Prep. The 1970 academies were formed under a variety of circumstances so I stand partially corrected. To refer to all private schools as seg academies is over the top.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I made it thru about 2/3 of the article. Here are some highlights from it. Nothing seems to scream 'white man is now barred from advancement and innovation shall suffer', even though that is what you claimed with your historical examples earlier.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/...y-corporate-diversity/?embedded-checkout=true
  • For a brief moment in 2020, much of corporate America united around a common goal: to address the stark racial imbalances in their workplaces.
  • In 2021, Hispanic, Asian and Black people made up a vast majority of the added workers — a trend that, analysts say, is necessary to overcome their historic underrepresentation.
  • White people still hold a disproportionate share of the top, highly paid jobs in the US at S&P 100 companies. But the share of executive, managerial and professional roles held by people of color increased by about 2 percentage points compared with 2020
  • For years, companies have blamed the lack of a sufficient recruiting pipeline for why their workplaces don’t reflect the country’s racial and ethnic makeup...The latest findings show that when under pressure to hire and promote qualified diverse talent, organizations find a way to do it.
  • That still leaves most companies in our dataset lopsided, with White people holding a disproportionate share of high-paying jobs at S&P 100 companies.

So a bunch of qualified people from groups that have been underrepresented for years, were hired at an increased rate for mostly entry level jobs, even though companies had claimed for years that they couldnt find qualified people from those groups. And while there was some change at the top, it was a 2% increase.

I want a system that evaluates on merit, but I am also able to recognize the hilariousness in a group of people who held pretty much all of the economic and political power for centuries and used it to actively discriminate against others so that power could be retained and grow, are now complaining that hiring practices sometimes favor other groups over them.
Again, yeah I absolutely want people to be hired for their experience/knowledge/abilities regardless of color/gender/religion/culture, but we dont have a history of always doing that.

LOL

You are very dishonest. A simple google search will turn up the quote of the 300k jobs created, 94% of which went to diversity hires. There were many stories on it at the time. You don’t debate in good faith.

Anybody reading this can just Google “DEI hires 94%”. Or “DEI hires s&p100 94%”. MSN, Bloomberg, several others. Boring.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is the disconnect and what allows people to act so immorally. There is no group being favored. There are individuals getting preferential treatment and individuals being discriminated against. It's not like old white guys are going around to young white guys handing them a wad of hundreds and saying "yea, you got screwed on that because of your race, but don't worry, we're still ahead overall."

Perfectly reasonable for employers to make sure that their "pipeline" isn't unnecessarily restrictive and doesn't overly rely on things like personal recommendations that can make family connections more important than merit, but that's generally not what's happening at all. People are discriminating based on race and deluding themselves into thinking they aren't acting immorally and in fact convince themselves that they should be patted on the back for it.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
Diversity for the sake of claiming diversity is largely worthless.
Diversity as a strategy to bring new ideas and solutions to market is invaluable.

History has shown how economically beneficial diversity(racial, cultural, gender, religious, etc) has been to the US.
It's been documented, studied, and discussed many times.
Except, no one wants to purchase a home in a diverse neighborhood…

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The thing your Mom told you about two wrongs don't make a right is very relevant here. Fixing past discrimination by new discrimination solves nothing. It just creates a new set of problems. History is essentially a record of doing that over and over and over again.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Poor white people and my people, the Irish, didn't hold much political power. They were discriminated against as well although nowhere near what black Americans faced. Latinos were only about 2% of the national population in 1950 so their history of discrimination isn't quite the same either. We shouldn't discriminate against current Americans in favor of people who voluntarily come here because they know that in almost every measurable way their lives are better here. Sure we had a Chinese exclusion Act and Japanese internment but those are among the wealthiest of Americans today and they too are discriminated against in college admissions in the name of diversity--Asian Americans just make good grades. Lots of poor Asian immigrants come here and totally boss it.

There reason we have these diversity policies, including favorable employment and college admissions standards for some groups, is because the hundreds of billions in ameliorative programs at the state and federal level haven't done as much as advertised. If grades improved dramatically we wouldn't worry about this. Plus, when 70% of children are born out of wedlock, you making life more challenging for yourself and for your children. The out-of-wedlock birthrate for Latinos was about 16% in 1980 and it's 50% now. That's not a recipe for success. In the South, the out-of-wedlock birthrate for poor whites is around 50%, again not something I'd recommend if you want a good life.

Asking current Americans to accept being discriminated against because of past discrimination is a bit unfair. Most white Americans trace their ancestry to people who came here after the Civil War. Find some other way. 90% of the people who follow the success sequence (finish high school, get a job, get married and then have kids) do fine in life. A lot of people seem unable to follow that sequence.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
LOL

You are very dishonest. A simple google search will turn up the quote of the 300k jobs created, 94% of which went to diversity hires. There were many stories on it at the time. You don’t debate in good faith.

Anybody reading this can just Google “DEI hires 94%”. Or “DEI hires s&p100 94%”. MSN, Bloomberg, several others. Boring.
How am I being dishonest? I googled what you suggested, I read most of it, and I cited direct quotes from the article.

You keep saying people should Google that, but you don't seem to understand what the search results in.

• Haha
Reactions: 85Bears

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is the disconnect and what allows people to act so immorally. There is no group being favored. There are individuals getting preferential treatment and individuals being discriminated against. It's not like old white guys are going around to young white guys handing them a wad of hundreds and saying "yea, you got screwed on that because of your race, but don't worry, we're still ahead overall."

Perfectly reasonable for employers to make sure that their "pipeline" isn't unnecessarily restrictive and doesn't overly rely on things like personal recommendations that can make family connections more important than merit, but that's generally not what's happening at all. People are discriminating based on race and deluding themselves into thinking they aren't acting immorally and in fact convince themselves that they should be patted on the back for it.
No group is being favored? 'Minorities'. That's the group being favored which 85bears is actively complaining about. If a group is being held down, a group is being favored. Hell, call the favored group 'everyone else' if you want.

When many individual are added up and categorized, you get trends. You don't seem to like that, but it's true.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Asking current Americans to accept being discriminated against because of past discrimination is a bit unfair.
I agree. As usual, this is likely lost on many here, but I agree with your comment.

I can agree with it while also finding the complaining to be funny in a specific way.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah we don’t need no DEI.

And the civil war was not about slavery!

long live those American patriots that fought against…..America!

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
A commitment to excellence is typically what brings prosperity.
Exactly. We need everyone pulling on the same rope with Biblically based morals. If we do that we won't have to worry about what color people are. When I was in the MBA program years ago at State, I had a girl from China as a partner on a project. She was totally incompetent, had a language barrier and seemed very ignorant to top it off. My other partner and I did all the work to keep her from bringing us down. Diversity for the sake of diversity is a detriment. I've worked with people from all over the world now, and I don't care what you look like, I care what you can do. I can tell you this, If I want to build a bridge, I want a bunch of guys that think alike, get along and are competent.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login