Mississippi towns (such as Starkville) and integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
You have quickly taken Pain's title of clown.
I don't think you actually read and consider most posts before responding.
like every liberal - hypocrites!! you preach ur religion from the safety of ur burb in 17n iowa - ur just a troll and nothing more

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
like every liberal - hypocrites!! you preach ur religion from the safety of ur burb in 17n iowa - ur just a troll and nothing more
Have you been drinking? Your communication in this thread is at a record low.

What religion am I preaching?
It is not hypocritical to say you wouldn't live in 'the hood' while also recognizing that diversity can be valuable/beneficial.
Once again, diversity needn't mean a white guy moves into 'the hood'. A diverse neighborhood or diverse town can exist in other ways.

I grew up in a racially, culturally, and religiously diverse town/area. That experience, along with countless studies, helped me recognize there can be value in that diversity.

Though we live in an overall white state, we open enroll our kids into the largest school district which is also racially, culturally, and religiously diverse because we found our kids gain academic and social value in learning with and from kids that come from other backgrounds.
It doesn't hurt that the district has an incredible dedicated AP and SREM/trades campus too.

Demographics​

White – 32.6%
Hispanic – 31.0%
African American – 21.2%
Asian – 7.6%
Multi-Racial – 7.0%
Native American – 0.5%
Pacific Islander – 0.2%

Programs​

Free and Reduced Lunch – 75.7%
English Language Learners- 24.0%
Special Education – 14.9%

You clearly think diversity only exists if a white guy moves into 'the hood'. That's a really odd view. Diversity can exist if a neighborhood has people from multiple cultures, ages, orientation, etc. A neighborhood with some white families, Hispanic families, SW Asian families, and a lesbian or two is diverse.

Seriously, you are struggling hard.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014

It is not hypocritical to say you wouldn't live in 'the hood' while also recognizing that diversity can be valuable/beneficial.
Once again, diversity needn't mean a white guy moves into 'the hood'. A diverse neighborhood or diverse town can exist in other ways.

I grew up in a racially, culturally, and religiously diverse town/area. That experience, along with countless studies, helped me recognize there can be value in that diversity.

Though we live in an overall white state, we open enroll our kids into the largest school district which is also racially, culturally, and religiously diverse because we found our kids gain academic and social value in learning with and from kids that come from other backgrounds.
It doesn't hurt that the district has an incredible dedicated AP and SREM/trades campus too.

Demographics​

White – 32.6%
Hispanic – 31.0%
African American – 21.2%
Asian – 7.6%
Multi-Racial – 7.0%
Native American – 0.5%
Pacific Islander – 0.2%

Programs​

You clearly think diversity only exists if a white guy moves into 'the hood'. That's a really odd view. Diversity can exist if a neighborhood has people from multiple cultures, ages, orientation, etc. A neighborhood with some white families, Hispanic families, SW Asian families, and a lesbian or two is diverse.

What the heck? I actually agree with you on something other than sports? This ain't right. Liberals and conservatives come together? What is this world coming to?

Seriously, I am about as conservative as they come, and I long for community with different cultures, races, etc. I remember seeing glimpses of that in the 90's and early 2000's. I miss that sense of unity.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Demographics​

White – 32.6%
Hispanic – 31.0%
African American – 21.2%
Asian – 7.6%
Multi-Racial – 7.0%
Native American – 0.5%
Pacific Islander – 0.2%

Programs​

A white, Hispanic and Asian family and a lesbian walk into a bar....

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
This thread is most definitely beating around the bushes. Anyone who lives in Mississippi knows the approximate demographics that can sustain a well run and profitable city, and the threshold in which that starts to deteriorate. It has played out the exact same way in many Mississippi towns throughout our lifetimes including my home town. It is a trend that only heads in one direction when the demographics reach that threshold. I cannot think of one example in Mississippi that refutes this statement.

In general, in Mississippi it seems that in a town, diversity increases, it reaches the threshold, and then it decreases. It’s a bell curve.

Sustaining a healthy level of diversity would be ideal.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
How does diversity create economic strength ? Unless you consider outside investment diversity ? Outside economic factors such as interest rates, inflation, unemployment and primarily domestic manufacturing -not off shoring jobs , creates economic strength.

I guess I’m not sure what you are getting at, racial diversity is not by itself any economic boon for our country, if it was Biden’s hordes of illegals would be putting more money in our pockets. instead it’s a massive drain on resources.
Here is some data for you:

High-Tech Patents by Immigrants:​

Tech Companies Founded by Immigrants:​

• Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook—with a combined market valuation of roughly $3 trillion—were all founded by first or second generation immigrants.
  • Apple’s founder, Steve Jobs, was the son of a Syrian immigrant.
  • Amazon’s CEO, Jeff Bezos, is a second-generation Cuban immigrant.
  • Google’s co-founder, Sergey Brin, was born in Russia.
  • Facebook’s co-founder, Eduardo Saverin, is a Brazilian native.
  • Oracle and PayPal also have immigrant founders.
  • In fact, 216 companies on the Fortune 500 were founded by immigrants or their children
Immigrants play a crucial role in driving innovation and economic growth in the U.S.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

• Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook—with a combined market valuation of roughly $3 trillion—were all founded by first or second generation immigrants.
  • In fact, 216 companies on the Fortune 500 were founded by immigrants or their children
Immigrants play a crucial role in driving innovation and economic growth in the U.S.
Legal immigration has always been a good thing, that however isn’t what we are talking about.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I guess I didn’t include the specifics about shipbuilding industry. A federally backed multibillion dollar industry that will never dry up as long as the country exists. That can’t exist anywhere else in the state and it’s not leaving so the coast will always be a draw.

That was basically my point and it was more or less a reply to multiple posts in the thread.

Is the Golden Triangle still “golden” what is special about it? Honest question.
That's east, Joe Mack Higgins is what Golden. That man could recruit a water well digging company to the middle of the desert.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Looks like 85Bears didnt listen to the recent freakonomics podcasts.

Legal immigration has always been a good thing, that however isn’t what we are talking about.
But immigration absolutely is part of what we are talking about. Or at least, many in this thread are in part talking about it, and if you or others arent, thats a you issue and you should reflect on why you arent including immigration in a discussion about diversity.

I will spell it out for you, and PB can hopefully absorb this too, since it seems he also doesnt understand that diversity(and integration, thread reference) includes many categories-
- Immigrants typically come from other cultures, which results in potential diversity.
- Immigrants often practice other religions, which results in potential diversity.
- Immigrants frequently speak another language, which results in potential diversity.
- Immigrants commonly identify as another race(other than 'white'), which results in potential diversity.

Now the thread did start out focused on integration in Mississippi and Alabama, so sure- black and white would be the initial integration that was asked about. But the conversation quickly branched in post 8 when diversity equaling economic prosperity was mentioned. You then pushed back on that in post 9 and questioned why diversity would create economic strength. horshack then took time to list multiple reports that analyze data and conclude diversity creates economic prosperity.

History has shown that immigration leads to an increase in diversity. <- simple as that.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

But immigration absolutely is part of what we are talking about. Or at least, many in this thread are in part talking about it, and if you or others arent, thats a you issue and you should reflect on why you arent including immigration in a discussion about diversity.

I will spell it out for you, and PB can hopefully absorb this too, since it seems he also doesnt understand that diversity(and integration, thread reference) includes many categories-
- Immigrants typically come from other cultures, which results in potential diversity.
- Immigrants often practice other religions, which results in potential diversity.
- Immigrants frequently speak another language, which results in potential diversity.
- Immigrants commonly identify as another race(other than 'white'), which results in potential diversity.

Now the thread did start out focused on integration in Mississippi and Alabama, so sure- black and white would be the initial integration that was asked about. But the conversation quickly branched in post 8 when diversity equaling economic prosperity was mentioned. You then pushed back on that in post 9 and questioned why diversity would create economic strength. horshack then took time to list multiple reports that analyze data and conclude diversity creates economic prosperity.

History has shown that immigration leads to an increase in diversity. <- simple as that.
I admit I have not been keeping up with this thread but are you trying to somehow justify what we have going on at our southern border ?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
So the towns specifically that seemed to do a better job of integrating that seem to have a nice place to raise a family, maybe thriving are Tupelo, Amory, Fulton, and Booneville, and in the black belt of Alabama where segregation and poverty seem to go hand in hand are Demopolis, and Thomasville, but the towns with a lot of segregation seem to do poorly. Just my observation.
And two Mississippi towns you named are in the blackbelt of Mississippi and two are very near it. Not sure if that was your point, but it rings.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

This really wasn't about recent immigrants was it? It was about what makes some small towns more or less diverse and integrated than others. The typical small town in Mississippi is not heavily populated by recent immigrants.

But, as usual, the thread has meandered off into the woods of individual's personal sacred cows.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I admit I have not been keeping up with this thread but are you trying to somehow justify what we have going on at our southern border ?
I am not at all trying to justify that.
I am saying that analysis has shown the US has economically and technologically benefitted from immigration and therefore diversity.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No group is being favored? 'Minorities'. That's the group being favored which 85bears is actively complaining about. If a group is being held down, a group is being favored. Hell, call the favored group 'everyone else' if you want.

When many individual are added up and categorized, you get trends. You don't seem to like that, but it's true.
You can characterize people however you want, but that doesn't change the fact that there isn't some group that shares in the benefits and burden of discrimination.
This is what you said:
I want a system that evaluates on merit, but I am also able to recognize the hilariousness in a group of people who held pretty much all of the economic and political power for centuries and used it to actively discriminate against others so that power could be retained and grow, are now complaining that hiring practices sometimes favor other groups over them.
What do you think has happened? All these people that used to discriminate against minorities suddenly start their career over in their 70's and suddenly are on the losing end of discrimination? You think there's some group that gets together that includes young and white people that throw all their money in a pot to share equally and it all balances out? Sharing a superficial feature or two doesn't make a group.

You are arguing that it's hilarious that young individuals that are discriminated against complain because other people who are not them and with whom they have no relationship used to discriminate? That's just an absurdly immoral position to take. If a young black man is killed by a policeman, your position of "why is his family complaining; there are certainly other young black men that have killed a policeman, it all evens out?" would be obviously evil. And that's because that sort of tribalism/racism leads to all sorts of evil and it should be called out more than it is. It doesn't change if the scenrio is a false conviction. Or theft. Or whatever. You don't get to discount a wrong against somebody just because somebody that's not them but shares a superficial physical trait committed a similar wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeCannotGo

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
And two Mississippi towns you named are in the blackbelt of Mississippi and two are very near it. Not sure if that was your point, but it rings.

I don't think it's the black belt. I think it's the history of those towns. They weren't ever completely dependent on agriculture and as intertwined with a history of slavery as places like Aberdeen and Columbus, although Columbus keeps battling to reinvent itself.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

The aversion to listening to something that might challenge your beliefs is puzzling. I'm constantly looking for things that challenge my beliefs to help me understand where I might be missing the mark, or further solidify my position based on some of the hairbrained things I read. But I'm not instantly up in arms if someone suggests that I might be missing something. I want to learn.

Also, I could post a near infinite stream of inventions and contributions made by black Americans, but anyone doubting that fact isn't likely to pay attention anyway. In a related note, this article was very interesting in that it simultaneously found that DEI initiatives don't appear to make a difference, in discriminatory hiring practices, but there are still some significant issues in that regard: https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-discovered-sent-80-000-165423098.html

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Good neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods; good schools, bad schools. Has nothing to do with race and everything to do with parents, specifically fathers … and more specifically their presence and existence.

That we’ve reached a point in our culture where leaders can’t admit this is just scary.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I can't imagine anyone justifying the mess that is our immigration system. Legal immigration is fundamentally outdated and broken, hence illegal immigration is a huge problem as well. Been that way for decades and decades. Have I told you about this interesting Freakanomics podcast I listened to?***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You can characterize people however you want, but that doesn't change the fact that there isn't some group that shares in the benefits and burden of discrimination.
This is what you said:

What do you think has happened? All these people that used to discriminate against minorities suddenly start their career over in their 70's and suddenly are on the losing end of discrimination? You think there's some group that gets together that includes young and white people that throw all their money in a pot to share equally and it all balances out? Sharing a superficial feature or two doesn't make a group.

You are arguing that it's hilarious that young individuals that are discriminated against complain because other people who are not them and with whom they have no relationship used to discriminate? That's just an absurdly immoral position to take. If a young black man is killed by a policeman, your position of "why is his family complaining; there are certainly other young black men that have killed a policeman, it all evens out?" would be obviously evil. And that's because that sort of tribalism/racism leads to all sorts of evil and it should be called out more than it is. It doesn't change if the scenrio is a false conviction. Or theft. Or whatever. You don't get to discount a wrong against somebody just because somebody that's not them but shares a superficial physical trait committed a similar wrong.

I do not support or like policies that allow discrimination to take place, even if it is to make up for discrimination of the past.

Once more, I laugh at some of the over the top outrage and claims because they are funny to me. When someone claims 'its tough to be a white man in today's business world', or anything similar to that claim, I am going to laugh because despite recent short lived hiring practices, its still an absurd claim to make.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

Improve on this and I feel pretty good that underrepresentation/underperformance in [insert whatever metric here] will improve in the generation that follows. Children that raise themselves are likely going to left behind in society. We can try to fix it on the back end with as many dollars as we can print or whatever policy an idealist can dream of but the real solution is a family unit (don't care what it looks like) preparing children for adulthood. Elephant in the room that everyone sees but won't press anyone on.

Generational improvement begins at home. And yes, there are systematic disadvantages based on historical racism. No dispute. Might even be the reason things are the way they are right now but that doesn't meant that there aren't countless children brought into this world with inherently less of a chance to be productive in society bc mom or dad wasn't around enough to prepare them. You fix it there and not after the fact.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Lotto tickets, catalytic converters, dime bags, and Herba Life teas seem to drive the economy around here. Oh, and ATV theft is making folks money too.

Reactions: PBDog

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Ya'll talking bout diversity? Let me show you what diversity looks like... Here's our little town's demographics:

FYI, our black resident is from Petal or Laurel if I recall and cooks up some mean biscuits and gravy at our local lodge. We are a pretty liberal town, I told him he should run for mayor. He'd win in a landslide and would probably run unopposed due to the white guilt.

Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 10.45.38 AM.png

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

"Immigrants" They're so interchangeable aren't they? This paper shows that 97% of U.S. inventors are white or Asian (see the list of companies you mentioned). But those Samoans were a good tag team. FYI, my ancestry is Irish. We didn't invent much and we were among the most violent people in the US in the 19th century. But because my people were immigrants, they belong to the category of immigrant innovators and tech company founders. Immigrants did all that good stuff. https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w31086/w31086.pdf

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You questioned the value of diversity, I provided data indicating that it was pretty useful so far in America.
You provided data showing that a few white people and some Asians are doing most of the innovating and tech company founding. It doesn't reveal anything about "diversity." It does indicate that we should be careful to make sure we allow in educated, creative and highly talented immigrants. I agree with that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The aversion to listening to something that might challenge your beliefs is puzzling. I'm constantly looking for things that challenge my beliefs to help me understand where I might be missing the mark, or further solidify my position based on some of the hairbrained things I read. But I'm not instantly up in arms if someone suggests that I might be missing something. I want to learn.

Also, I could post a near infinite stream of inventions and contributions made by black Americans, but anyone doubting that fact isn't likely to pay attention anyway. In a related note, this article was very interesting in that it simultaneously found that DEI initiatives don't appear to make a difference, in discriminatory hiring practices, but there are still some significant issues in that regard: https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-discovered-sent-80-000-165423098.html
There are hundreds of studies showing that diversity training doesn't work and has negative consequences. Even Charlemagne the God knows what the research shows. Major corporations and the super wealthy are in part pushing diversity to distract from the incredible income inequality in America. BTW, self-proclaimed conservatives need to stop blaming DEI for things they don't like or for things that have better explanations, a ship hitting a bridge. That seems like the go-to explanation for people with difficulty processing information.

Last edited:
Reactions: turkish

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I do not support or like policies that allow discrimination to take place, even if it is to make up for discrimination of the past.

Once more, I laugh at some of the over the top outrage and claims because they are funny to me. When someone claims 'its tough to be a white man in today's business world', or anything similar to that claim, I am going to laugh because despite recent short lived hiring practices, its still an absurd claim to make.
It's likely tough for some white males. Not sure that many in the trailer park are going to do well in the business world. Even white people discriminate against them. BTW, the book "Of Boys and Men" by Reeves has all sorts of stats on the troubling situation facing men today. Black women now live longer than white males. Asian women out-earn white males. They die 6 years before women, they're less likely to graduate high school and college, they're more likely to commit suicide, they're more likely to be victims of violence and less likely to live in a home with their biological children (women initiate most divorces and many for good reasons). There's the apex fallacy that largely says that because Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos and are doing well, that white men in general are doing well. Middle and upper-class white men are fine. The downwardly mobile, not so much. Non-white males are also facing some problems that women don't have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Here are the MCAT scores and gpa's for med school applicants. You're not gonna get much diversity in med school unless you discriminate a great deal against Asian and white applicants.

Attachments

• GKasacOXIAA27Ku.png
    GKasacOXIAA27Ku.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 5

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

I would like to see the "near infinite stream" of inventions. I know there are inventions and inventors but I had no idea there was a near infinite stream of inventions. Maybe link to this near infinite stream. I'm curious. FYI, this white male never invented anything and never will.

Last edited:

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't think it's the black belt. I think it's the history of those towns. They weren't ever completely dependent on agriculture and as intertwined with a history of slavery as places like Aberdeen and Columbus, although Columbus keeps battling to reinvent itself.
Oh. I agree it's not being in the Black Belt that is the difference. I was just pointing out that they were located there geographically since it was mentioned in the post. Although, I do have a bias toward Blackbelt as a native myself. :)

Reactions: She Mate Me

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There are hundreds of studies showing that diversity training doesn't work and has negative consequences. Even Charlemagne the God knows what the research shows. Major corporations and the super wealthy are in part pushing diversity to distract from the incredible income inequality in America. BTW, self-proclaimed conservatives need to stop blaming DEI for things they don't like or for things that have better explanations, a ship hitting a bridge. That seems like the go-to explanation for people with difficulty processing information.

I see it a little differently. I think that it is the easy button for corporations trying to deal with the unintended, or overt, discriminatory interviewing/hiring practices. Let me hire a diversity officer to check that box so that I don't get bothered about doing nothing, or so that I don't have to figure out something that really works. Common issue of trying to solve a complex problem with a simple response. There are probably just as many companies without discriminatory practices that are wasting money on a diversity officer for no good reason as there are companies who have a real problem who are both wasting money on the diversity officer and still not solving the problem. But they will all get better press...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You provided data showing that a few white people and some Asians are doing most of the innovating and tech company founding. It doesn't reveal anything about "diversity." It does indicate that we should be careful to make sure we allow in educated, creative and highly talented immigrants. I agree with that.
I just thought it was interesting data. That % of S&P 500 that was made up by immigrants was larger than I would have expected. I don't care what your ethnicity is, coming to a new country and being not just successful, but really successful is telling about both the value of them being here and the opportunity that exists here.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thanks for the information. Learned something new.
Not really. Which Mississippi metropolis was busing a huge concern? Jackson? Maybe the coast. The concerns weren't busing when they started say Chickasaw Academy where they traveled 10 15 miles from Houston and Okolona instead of going to the public schools 5 blocks away. Busing in Columbus? (Heritage) Starkville? (SA) West Point? (Oak Hill) From where exactly? From Jackson Street to Yellow Jacket Drive?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's likely tough for some white males. Not sure that many in the trailer park are going to do well in the business world. Even white people discriminate against them. BTW, the book "Of Boys and Men" by Reeves has all sorts of stats on the troubling situation facing men today. Black women now live longer than white males. Asian women out-earn white males. They die 6 years before women, they're less likely to graduate high school and college, they're more likely to commit suicide, they're more likely to be victims of violence and less likely to live in a home with their biological children (women initiate most divorces and many for good reasons). There's the apex fallacy that largely says that because Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos and are doing well, that white men in general are doing well. Middle and upper-class white men are fine. The downwardly mobile, not so much. Non-white males are also facing some problems that women don't have.

Its tough to be a straight white male these days. I was knocked down over and again, but each time I picked myself up by my bootstraps, kept my head down, and worked hard. Everyone else is given so much and I have to scratch and claw for what little I have.**

All seriousness though, yeah those who are on the lower rungs of the socio-economic ladder definitely struggle regardless of their color, gender, religion, etc.
Closing the wealth and wage gaps will help everyone overall in the bottom 50%, and thats a good thing.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Not really. Which Mississippi metropolis was busing a huge concern? Jackson? Maybe the coast. The concerns weren't busing when they started say Chickasaw Academy where they traveled 10 15 miles from Houston and Okolona instead of going to the public schools 5 blocks away. Busing in Columbus? (Heritage) Starkville? (SA) West Point? (Oak Hill) From where exactly? From Jackson Street to Yellow Jacket Drive?
I don’t take pop quizzes anymore. If you wish to inform us, go ahead.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Check a map for Tupelo and Booneville.View attachment 554740
You need to check a more detailed one, or better yet drive the actual land. The main part of Tupelo is not in it. The newer west side of town beyond the airport is just barely in it, but the soil is NOT as rich as it is in the real black belt farther south. Booneville is about the same distance from it as Amory. There was really no major plantation agriculture as far north as Tupelo till you got a bit farther west.

Map of Mississippi showing the Black Belt (shaded) and Osborn Prairie (Η). | Download Scientific Diagram (researchgate.net)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login