Mississippi towns (such as Starkville) and integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
You need to check a more detailed one, or better yet drive the actual land. The main part of Tupelo is not in it. The newer west side of town beyond the airport is just barely in it, but the soil is NOT as rich as it is in the real black belt farther south. Booneville is about the same distance from it as Amory. There was really no major plantation agriculture as far north as Tupelo till you got a bit farther west.

Map of Mississippi showing the Black Belt (shaded) and Osborn Prairie (Η). | Download Scientific Diagram (researchgate.net)
Agree with you. However, whether or not there was plantation agriculture is not a factor in what landform is there. No doubt the plantation agriculture was centered further south. I have driven the actual land literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of times. Starkville nor Columbus proper is technically IN the region either, but there is a pretty strong argument for them being Blackbelt towns. I almost posted the same link you did to make the opposite point. Maybe we are quibbling over nothing.

Reactions: L4Dawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
LOL

You are very dishonest. A simple google search will turn up the quote of the 300k jobs created, 94% of which went to diversity hires. There were many stories on it at the time. You don’t debate in good faith.

Anybody reading this can just Google “DEI hires 94%”. Or “DEI hires s&p100 94%”. MSN, Bloomberg, several others. Boring.
I actually ran into this claim when perusing my company's shareholders elections. Some group made the exact same claim, and wanted a review of DEI practices. So I did as you suggested and Googled it. Took 2 minutes to see that 90% of the 300k was Amazon fulfillment centers staffing up. Shouldn't be surprising, who was hiring in 2020? And if you know anything about Amazon fulfillment centers, these numbers are not surprising at all. Just more conservative puke funnel in action.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t know what your experience is with the coast, but it’s different than mine. I grew up a few blocks away from seuer city in Gulfport and disagree about the lack of ghetto’s. Pronounced ‘sewer’ city proudly by the locals, where prostitutes and drug dealers would operate in public. The ghettos are there but are small and stick to their boundaries. Most of the older folks in seuer city wouldn’t dare cross 22nd street, but me and the kids my age on both sides use to hang out and cross over a lot. Made some good friends in those days.
My experience is I grew up in Jackson, moved to the Coast much later.

I'm aware there's some pretty bad areas down here, but in my experience they are much smaller and not as bad as elsewhere in the state.

Reactions: uptowndawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Good neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods; good schools, bad schools. Has nothing to do with race and everything to do with parents, specifically fathers … and more specifically their presence and existence.

That we’ve reached a point in our culture where leaders can’t admit this is just scary.

Not many politicians are actually leaders.

And they've always been liars who bend the obvious to their own ends. That hasn't changed with time. I think we just have fewer true statesmen these days. And the lack of awareness of history is kinda scary.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There are hundreds of studies showing that diversity training doesn't work and has negative consequences. Even Charlemagne the God knows what the research shows. Major corporations and the super wealthy are in part pushing diversity to distract from the incredible income inequality in America. BTW, self-proclaimed conservatives need to stop blaming DEI for things they don't like or for things that have better explanations, a ship hitting a bridge. That seems like the go-to explanation for people with difficulty processing information.

Is Charlemagne the God some sort of intellectual now?

But anyway, the problem I've seen with "DEI" in my small sampling of corporate America, is that it gets crossed with corporate America's overwhelming goal of payroll cutting. So they want a diversity hire....but want the cheapest hire too. So they hire the least qualified person. If they really want DEI, they should be headhunting for a DEI candidate that meets or exceeds all their applicants, and pay them what it takes to lure them in. But lol of course they won't do THAT.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

But anyway, the problem I've seen with "DEI" in my small sampling of corporate America, is that it gets crossed with corporate America's overwhelming goal of payroll cutting. So they want a diversity hire....but want the cheapest hire too. So they hire the least qualified person. If they really want DEI, they should be headhunting for a DEI candidate that meets or exceeds all their applicants, and pay them what it takes to lure them in. But lol of course they won't do THAT.
They mathematically can't do that. Sure, some few firms can commit to overpaying to get the "right" racial mix in their work force, but that just leaves everybody else looking for qualified candidates in a tougher position.

It's mostly a pipeline issue and everybody is trying to fix it by discriminating in favor of people of certain races and against people of other races at the end of the pipeline. It's the same in business and in selective educational institutions. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd be trying to find elementary school aged children that aren't reaching their potential because of their family's lack of resources. But that's hard. It's much easier to just engage in some racial discrimination and then pat yourself on the back. That doesn't cost you anything individually, usually.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I take no stance on anything mentioned in this thread. I am just so shocked that it remained open. I would say good job on civil discourse fellas, but as soon as I do someone will prove me wrong on that.

We’re mellowing in our older age and have no desire to spend and eternity with you as we near the end of this time on earth***********

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

DEI allows white women to be hired. White women win again. Just pointing out that even Charlemagne knows what the research shows. It's pretty clear that it doesn't work well.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We’re mellowing in our older age and have no desire to spend and eternity with you as we near the end of this time on earth***********

Yes, my capacity for typing multi-paragraph diatribes, that will change no minds and win no debates in a thread that will surely be locked sooner or later to never be read again has diminished significantly as I move through my 50's.

I do like the boobies threads though...

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I actually ran into this claim when perusing my company's shareholders elections. Some group made the exact same claim, and wanted a review of DEI practices. So I did as you suggested and Googled it. Took 2 minutes to see that 90% of the 300k was Amazon fulfillment centers staffing up. Shouldn't be surprising, who was hiring in 2020? And if you know anything about Amazon fulfillment centers, these numbers are not surprising at all. Just more conservative puke funnel in action.
Cool story bro, hahaha, yea DEI is just hires at Amazon call centers based on your private study.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
One flaw I see in these conversations is that a number of people write something such as "black Americans got screwed over in America" (undoubtedly true) to arguing that thus "white males have it easy," something that misses a lot of what's going on in this country and the difficulties individuals face regardless of their ethnicity and gender.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yes, my capacity for typing multi-paragraph diatribes, that will change no minds and win no debates in a thread that will surely be locked sooner or later to never be read again has diminished significantly as I move through my 50's.

I do like the boobies threads though...
I recommend that we inspire Hugh to post some images that reflect our appreciation of the vast diversity of hot American women.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Cool story bro, hahaha, yea DEI is just hires at Amazon call centers based on your private study.
Bro, it was YOUR "cool story". Amazon was listed as one of the companies in their study, and their hires account for 90% of the hires stated as studied in the study.

And fulfillment centers are NOT call centers, bro.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Barack Obama Politics GIF by Obama

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Bro, it was YOUR "cool story". Amazon was listed as one of the companies in their study, and their hires account for 90% of the hires stated as studied in the study.

And fulfillment centers are NOT call centers, bro.
LOL, BLackrock, Statestreet and Vanguard, ever heard of them ? ESG scores for every publicly traded company ?

Sure, sure, cool story bro.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
They mathematically can't do that. Sure, some few firms can commit to overpaying to get the "right" racial mix in their work force, but that just leaves everybody else looking for qualified candidates in a tougher position.
In the positions I am familiar with, they absolutely could do that. Sure, the lower end of firms may have to take lesser candidates, but they still would be better off than taking unqualified internal hires. Besides, moot point, because nobody is doing it. Every single form could do it today and not be inhibited by other firms because they aren't doing it. But none of them do. Sure, could lead to bidding wars and an undesired situation where DEI workers make way more in the same role, but again that's a moot point.
It's mostly a pipeline issue and everybody is trying to fix it by discriminating in favor of people of certain races and against people of other races at the end of the pipeline. It's the same in business and in selective educational institutions. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd be trying to find elementary school aged children that aren't reaching their potential because of their family's lack of resources. But that's hard. It's much easier to just engage in some racial discrimination and then pat yourself on the back. That doesn't cost you anything individually, usually.
This is either incredibly unintentionally racist, or just mindless repetition of talking points without critical thinking. You are saying qualified DEI candidates don't exist.

To answer a point you made elsewhere, regarding discrimination against whites, it's like Alabama fans complaining of holding. Usually, it's not even true, but even when it is it is incredibly short sighted.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
LOL, BLackrock, Statestreet and Vanguard, ever heard of them ? ESG scores for every publicly traded company ?

Sure, sure, cool story bro.
So?

Again, it was YOUR cool story. Sorry (not sorry) it fell apart and you can't handle it like an adult.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
So?

Again, it was YOUR cool story. Sorry (not sorry) it fell apart and you can't handle it like an adult.
You are ignorant of ESG social credit scores and their DEI component, and the vast influence of black rock, state street and vanguard on all publicly traded corporate hiring and board appointments or you are just flat out lying.

I suspect your extreme political views prevent you from having an honest discussion.

if anyone is interested the NY Post has had a number of good articles on ESG.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You are ignorant of ESG social credit scores and their DEI component, and the vast influence of black rock, state street and vanguard on all publicly traded corporate hiring and board appointments or you are just flat out lying.

I suspect your extreme political views prevent you from having an honest discussion.

if anyone is interested the NY Post has had a number of good articles on ESG.
I'm not ignorant, I just don't see the (imaginary) connection that you are seeing.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Hahahah, yes ESG and DEI are conspiracies Larry Fink and black rocks 10 trillion dollars in holdings are imaginary. Thanks for your contribution.
Sigh. Its not EDG or DEI that are contrived, it's your conspiracies that they drive....something. that investor money goes slightly to things investors are interested in investing in to maximize their gains? Whatever.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
One flaw I see in these conversations is that a number of people write something such as "black Americans got screwed over in America" (undoubtedly true) to arguing that thus "white males have it easy," something that misses a lot of what's going on in this country and the difficulties individuals face regardless of their ethnicity and gender.
Since I am clearly one, I'll reply.
My 'white straight males have it easy' comments have been an attempt to mock those that seem to genuinely think it's tough to be a white straight male right now.
That is, to me, an absurd viewpoint, yet it's one that some on this board have claimed for multiple years now.

I don't think white straight males have it easy just because they are white. And I recognize that the category is not monolithic in privilege or whatever other more accurate term can take that term's place. Yes there are white straight men who struggle and don't have it easy.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Sigh. Its not EDG or DEI that are contrived, it's your conspiracies that they drive....something. that investor money goes slightly to things investors are interested in investing in to maximize their gains? Whatever.
blackrock cancelled the esg etf because it was a failure. blackrock can swing their big dck around ceos but retail usually knows better which is why they are full steam ahead with the btc etf

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
In the positions I am familiar with, they absolutely could do that. Sure, the lower end of firms may have to take lesser candidates, but they still would be better off than taking unqualified internal hires. Besides, moot point, because nobody is doing it. Every single form could do it today and not be inhibited by other firms because they aren't doing it. But none of them do. Sure, could lead to bidding wars and an undesired situation where DEI workers make way more in the same role, but again that's a moot point.

I’m thinking of more professional positions because that’s what I’m familiar with, but they are already doing this. They are all bidding for the same small pool of candidates.

This is either incredibly unintentionally racist, or just mindless repetition of talking points without critical thinking. You are saying qualified DEI candidates don't exist.

To answer a point you made elsewhere, regarding discrimination against whites, it's like Alabama fans complaining of holding. Usually, it's not even true, but even when it is it is incredibly short sighted.
That’s not at all what I said. I said there aren’t enough to go around for all the companies to hit their DEI goals. So companies hire/promote less qualified and under qualified candidates. Even if they were just trying to have hires match the population, that would still result in a shortage of qualified DEI candidates compared to demand because there are a disproportionate number of would’ve DEI candidates that theoretically could have been qualified but were stuck in terrible school districts or didn’t get in a position for whatever job in question for another reason. But lots of companies aren’t just aiming for that, but implicitly or explicitly targeting a greater than proportional share.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I’m thinking of more professional positions because that’s what I’m familiar with, but they are already doing this. They are all bidding for the same small pool of candidates.
I hope so, but as I said, in my small sampling of corporate America, they aren't.
That’s not at all what I said. I said there aren’t enough to go around for all the companies to hit their DEI goals.
if this were true, then wouldnt it show up in compensation data?
So companies hire/promote less qualified and under qualified candidates. Even if they were just trying to have hires match the population, that would still result in a shortage of qualified DEI candidates compared to demand because there are a disproportionate number of would’ve DEI candidates that theoretically could have been qualified but were stuck in terrible school districts or didn’t get in a position for whatever job in question for another reason. But lots of companies aren’t just aiming for that, but implicitly or explicitly targeting a greater than proportional share.
Hmm, what would be the reasons that there would be less DEI candidates than the demographics say should exist?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hope so, but as I said, in my small sampling of corporate America, they aren't.

Yea, I don't know. They are doing it in the small sample I'm familiar with, which in fairness is weighted towards larger companies.

if this were true, then wouldnt it show up in compensation data?
If you get granular enough, I suspect it would. But I don't know of anybody that gets data with that much specificity. You'd have to have candidate qualifications for the must part to tell how they are being paid compared to similarly qualified people.

Hmm, what would be the reasons that there would be less DEI candidates than the demographics say should exist?
I'm sure there are lots of plausible reasons, but I think the two obvious ones that most reasonable people would agree on is a greater proportion of minorities in ****** schools and broken homes. And you don't fix that by discriminating against whites and Asians in professional school and employment. Ignoring how crazy it is that people commonly accept that the way to "fix" past discrimination by whites against black people is to discriminate against Asians now, and ignoring that it's immoral to discriminate against anybody just because they share the same skin color as somebody that did something wrong, all discrimination does is just create more racial strife. It just fails all practical and moral tests.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Have you been drinking? Your communication in this thread is at a record low.

What religion am I preaching?
It is not hypocritical to say you wouldn't live in 'the hood' while also recognizing that diversity can be valuable/beneficial.
Once again, diversity needn't mean a white guy moves into 'the hood'. A diverse neighborhood or diverse town can exist in other ways.

I grew up in a racially, culturally, and religiously diverse town/area. That experience, along with countless studies, helped me recognize there can be value in that diversity.

Though we live in an overall white state, we open enroll our kids into the largest school district which is also racially, culturally, and religiously diverse because we found our kids gain academic and social value in learning with and from kids that come from other backgrounds.
It doesn't hurt that the district has an incredible dedicated AP and SREM/trades campus too.

Demographics​

White – 32.6%
Hispanic – 31.0%
African American – 21.2%
Asian – 7.6%
Multi-Racial – 7.0%
Native American – 0.5%
Pacific Islander – 0.2%

Programs​

Free and Reduced Lunch – 75.7%
English Language Learners- 24.0%
Special Education – 14.9%

You clearly think diversity only exists if a white guy moves into 'the hood'. That's a really odd view. Diversity can exist if a neighborhood has people from multiple cultures, ages, orientation, etc. A neighborhood with some white families, Hispanic families, SW Asian families, and a lesbian or two is diverse.

Seriously, you are struggling hard.
Iowa is 90% white. If you are in a district with 32.6% white folks, you are in the unicorn district.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Iowa is 90% white. If you are in a district with 32.6% white folks, you are in the unicorn district.

My kids arent enrolled into a unicorn district, they are enrolled into an urban district. Its really that simple.

The demographics below are for the district where we live, but my kids dont attend. It is a suburb district with excellent overall testing and preparedness scores, to be clear. So if these numbers are for a good inner-ring suburb district, then the numbers for the largest urban school district in the state will be what I posted.
58.0%White
17.7%Hispanic/Latino
10.9%Black or African American
6.5%Asian or Asian Pacific Islander
6.5%Two or more races
0.2%American Indian or Alaska Native
0.1%Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

I was told I am a hypocrite and preaching some sort of religion because I live in a white state. I responded with stats on where I grew up and where I currently live to show the other poster's claims are incorrect. I may live in a area or enroll my kids into a district that is a 'unicorn', but that is neither here nor there because the demographics of the entire state dont matter when discussing neighborhoods/towns.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My kids arent enrolled into a unicorn district, they are enrolled into an urban district. Its really that simple.

The demographics below are for the district where we live, but my kids dont attend. It is a suburb district with excellent overall testing and preparedness scores, to be clear. So if these numbers are for a good inner-ring suburb district, then the numbers for the largest urban school district in the state will be what I posted.
58.0%White
17.7%Hispanic/Latino
10.9%Black or African American
6.5%Asian or Asian Pacific Islander
6.5%Two or more races
0.2%American Indian or Alaska Native
0.1%Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

I was told I am a hypocrite and preaching some sort of religion because I live in a white state. I responded with stats on where I grew up and where I currently live to show the other poster's claims are incorrect. I may live in a area or enroll my kids into a district that is a 'unicorn', but that is neither here nor there because the demographics of the entire state dont matter when discussing neighborhoods/towns.

Besides Iowans know the true unicorn educationally is if your kids go to the Maharishi School in Fairfield.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Besides Iowans know the true unicorn educationally is if your kids go to the Maharishi School in Fairfield.
Ha! Talk about a diverse town- that place is wild. The town square area around the County Courthouse is an odd mix of small farm town stores like a cafe, lawfirms, and hair salon that are intermixed with stuff like an Indian restaurant, Acai Bowl, Equine Massage School, Pho eatery, etc.
Its a mashup of rural traditional and pop-modern.
The small town folk and farming community and Meditation new-age folk have definitely integrated in a ton lot of ways, but there is also a separate development a few miles outside of town for Maharishi folk that want to live amongst 'their own kind'.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ha! Talk about a diverse town- that place is wild. The town square area around the County Courthouse is an odd mix of small farm town stores like a cafe, lawfirms, and hair salon that are intermixed with stuff like an Indian restaurant, Acai Bowl, Equine Massage School, Pho eatery, etc.
Its a mashup of rural traditional and pop-modern.
The small town folk and farming community and Meditation new-age folk have definitely integrated in a ton lot of ways, but there is also a separate development a few miles outside of town for Maharishi folk that want to live amongst 'their own kind'.

Note to some folks on this board:

If @mstateglfr thinks a town is wild, that might just be your unicorn community right there.

• Haha

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
First, let me say I am not trying to offend anyone this is just one Devil's opinion. Mrs. Morningstar is from Iowa with her family residing in a little small town called Guthrie Center. I had to spend three weeks up there this summer. I already hated Iowa folks from the Outback Bowl we were cheated out of a few years ago down in Tampa, but being amongst the people was awful. I have traveled the country pretty extensively and I will just say the hard part out loud Iowa sucks. Especially when it comes to how they look at southerners. Thank dad Mrs. Morningstar spent more time in Mississippi than she did in Iowa growing up so I call her a day walker. I have never met or been around a more arrogant group of people that really have nothing to be arrogant about. All I heard the entire time, and this was from people not her family, was how bad Mississippi is or how we are a bunch of toothless rednecks. Had it not been for the fact that I was trying to be nice I would have loved to put some of those yankees in their places. They just thought it was ok to say anything about the South in my presence like I was suppose to agree with them. I think many of them were waiting on me to get out the beechnut, and tell them about how my cousin married my sister. It was like they are oblivious to that fact they were being a-holes, or just flat out did not have an issue insulting the South. I told my Mrs. Morningstar that would be my one, and only, trip to that ********.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Yea, I don't know. They are doing it in
Um ok
If you get granular enough, I suspect it would. But I don't know of anybody that gets data with that much specificity. You'd have to have candidate qualifications for the must part to tell how they are being paid compared to similarly qualified people.
This doesn't seem remotely true. If, as you claim, DEI candidates are in such demand that there are bidding wars, shouldn't we see at least some fields where DEI compensation exceeds white male compensation?
I'm sure there are lots of plausible reasons, but I think the two obvious ones that most reasonable people would agree on is a greater proportion of minorities in ****** schools and broken homes.
So, basically, systemic racism?
And you don't fix that by discriminating against whites and Asians in professional school and employment.
you surely dont fix it by demanding a perfect solution.
Ignoring how crazy it is that people commonly accept that the way to "fix" past discrimination by whites against black people is to discriminate against Asians now
this is an incessant rightie claim that the evidence doesnt actually support.
, and ignoring that it's immoral to discriminate against anybody just because they share the same skin color as somebody that did something wrong, all discrimination does is just create more racial strife. It just fails all practical and moral tests.
Wrong. If, as you claim to believe, the only reason DEI candidates are "lesser" candidates is because they endured ****** schools and homes.....then are they really lesser? Doesn't that mean they are at least equal, in innate ability anyway?

As I've said in this thread, there are cases of truly inferior candidates getting jobs. But let's make clear that this is not the same thing as a difference of a few points on a standardized test or perceived benefits of an elite school over a state one. The intent of DEI is supposed to be that you rank candidates by clear measures, then make sure you aren't unintentionally biased in selection (as is well proved to happen in America!) by making sure that overall hiring matches demographics properly. Do some corps take DEI and f it up? I don't think anyone would be surprised to find they do. But this is only a reason to go back to the system that was much worse if you're a racist. Work to make DEI better, not to go back to how things were.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Um ok

This doesn't seem remotely true. If, as you claim, DEI candidates are in such demand that there are bidding wars, shouldn't we see at least some fields where DEI compensation exceeds white male compensation?

So, basically, systemic racism?

you surely dont fix it by demanding a perfect solution.

this is an incessant rightie claim that the evidence doesnt actually support.

Wrong. If, as you claim to believe, the only reason DEI candidates are "lesser" candidates is because they endured ****** schools and homes.....then are they really lesser? Doesn't that mean they are at least equal, in innate ability anyway?

As I've said in this thread, there are cases of truly inferior candidates getting jobs. But let's make clear that this is not the same thing as a difference of a few points on a standardized test or perceived benefits of an elite school over a state one. The intent of DEI is supposed to be that you rank candidates by clear measures, then make sure you aren't unintentionally biased in selection (as is well proved to happen in America!) by making sure that overall hiring matches demographics properly. Do some corps take DEI and f it up? I don't think anyone would be surprised to find they do. But this is only a reason to go back to the system that was much worse if you're a racist. Work to make DEI better, not to go back to how things were.
How were things a decade ago? Obama was president, he was a two-term president, and there was less racial resentment and animosity and a more positive view of race relations from most Americans.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
How were things a decade ago? Obama was president, he was a two-term president, and there was less racial resentment and animosity and a more positive view of race relations from most Americans.
The same people that hate "DEI" now hated things back then too. Benghazi, Lois Lerner, IRS bolos, it's the same crap from the same propaganda outlets, the names just change.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The same people that hate "DEI" now hated things back then too. Benghazi, Lois Lerner, IRS bolos, it's the same crap from the same propaganda outlets, the names just change.
There's some overlap. There's also a lot of research showing it doesn't work and it's divisive. Kendi and DeAngelo have made a fortune dividing America. I wish all the white people who support these diversity initiatives, especially the superwealthy, would just resign, be the quit in equity, and ask to be replaced by a member of an underrepresented minority group. I wish the superwealthy who talk about the importance of diversity and even mention white privilege would calculate the value of their white privilege that they've earned over their lifetimes and give it away to poor people instead of bothering us with diversity initiatives that cause more division than unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login