Mullen article - Grab your coffee and/or go to the toilet

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Mullen always rewarded loyalty and development in his program.
Mullen just needed to understand roles for backs. Perk was a great situational back and versatile. Williams wasnt even on the same team. The bowling ball is who you thinking about. He was still learning and didn't listen. He also wasn't as good in pass protection. Mullen wasn't going to let you play if you didn't do those things
And rightfully so.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know where he would fit in, but I think he would be a good fit for the NFL... he wouldn't have to worry about recruiting at all.
Not sure if his micromanaging style would translate to the NFL. Seems you need thick skin to make it there, and he doesn't.

I wonder what his role would be. Excellent QB coach, excellent game planner/organizer, average play caller at best. Hard to tell. One thing is certain - had he hired a dedicated OC he'd have been better off, especially at Florida, even with the micromanaging. Didn't need to be some super wizard, just an underling who knew his system.

After typing that out, I don't think he'd make it in the NFL at all. I'd like to see the experiment though.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He was extremely successful at msu. You can’t do that without being good at your job.

Was he Nick Saban? No. But he was damn good at his job at msu.
It's OK to disagree. He got good results compared to Croom, and one season got unprecedented results compared to history, but I attribute that to his play calling, and happening to have a future NFL QB to make it happen. Good leadership is holding employees accountable. I guess I give him credit for OC but think he kinda Forrest Gumped through the rest of it. Seeing that FL article that could have almost literally been written around SPS rumors from when he was here definitely knocked him down a few notches on my assessment. Perhaps that's too harsh.

I'll also add that what Swede shared above, from a guy in the locker room, indicates that for whatever football stuff Dan knew, if he had been a good leader, we would have really had something to be proud of when he was here.

Reactions: msudawg1200

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It's OK to disagree. He got good results compared to Croom, and one season got unprecedented results compared to history, but I attribute that to his play calling, and happening to have a future NFL QB to make it happen. Good leadership is holding employees accountable. I guess I give him credit for OC but think he kinda Forrest Gumped through the rest of it. Seeing that FL article that could have almost literally been written around SPS rumors from when he was here definitely knocked him down a few notches on my assessment. Perhaps that's too harsh.

I'll also add that what Swede shared above, from a guy in the locker room, indicates that for whatever football stuff Dan knew, if he had been a good leader, we would have really had something to be proud of when he was here.
He got great results compared to every coach in our history. Fact. Period.

We can all attest to that by what’s in black and white in the record books.

Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of him. His results were great for MSU.

Could he have been better?
could he have done things different to have more success?
Sure.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He got great results compared to every coach in our history. Fact. Period.

We can all attest to that by what’s in black and white in the record books.

Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of him. His results were great for MSU.

Could he have been better?
could he have done things different to have more success?
Sure.
Even poor leaders can get good results at times, but eventually it all implodes. I've seen it over and over and over. I'm not arguing results, I'm arguing leadership, which if he was decent at it, he would still be the "CEO" of a high level football team. He is not. He got retired, he didn't retire.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Even poor leaders can get good results at times, but eventually it all implodes. I've seen it over and over and over. I'm not arguing results, I'm arguing leadership, which if he was decent at it, he would still be the "CEO" of a high level football team. He is not. He got retired, he didn't retire.
Poor terrible leaders don’t have 9 years of success at msu.

that’s long term success.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Poor terrible leaders don’t have 9 years of success at msu.

that’s long term success.

I see a guy who was clearly an outstanding coordinator. That comes through clearly in the article. He knows offense forwards and backwards. That can obviously carry you a long way.

But there are too many signs that he never fully made the transition to HC.

And when you have that many full on azz holes in your inner circle, who you are not standing up to like a HC has to do. Well, you see what happens.

Reactions: ChE1997

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hitting the nail on the head here. The evidence is clear.

And further, MOST guys that get their first head job aren't leaders. Usually it's a learned thing. He never did it. There's many styles of this dictator-type coaching set up. Bobby Petrino is Exhibit B. Ruled by fear rather than respect. The respect they did get, was due to the players realizing that these guys did know football and could put them in position to succeed.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I won't deny he did some great things as our coach. He made history. Then he spent November of every subsequent season job hunting. That would be understandable if he had stayed on top of his current job as head coach for Mississippi State. He checked out every season until he told us Friday he wasn't going anywhere, only to say goodbye Sunday. He should have kept his mouth shut until he was leaving. You can paint this decision any color you want, but it still sticks in your mind when you try to remember the good things he did here.

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My one and only take from this article is that Mississippi State University must cut all ties with Greg Knox for good.
I've always liked Knox - but it is concerning if he was actually the one setting our RB depth chart, and not Mullen

Reactions: Dawg1976

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Except Grantham isn’t a winner. He’s just an a-hole who underperformed with elite talent at every stop, right up until the players finally turned on him. And that’s why he’s no longer employed as a DC. He should have been fired on the spot after the 2017 Egg Bowl before Dan even bolted. But Mullen actually did us a favor by taking him to Gainesville instead.

Hevesy and Mullen, for all their personality faults, could at least coach up mediocre talent to become average to above average SEC caliber players. Grantham only knew how to send the house with NFL talent, and hope the blitz got there. He had no Plan B.
Please tell me our defense didn't improve under grantham. If you don't think so then you are a dubmass

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not sure if his micromanaging style would translate to the NFL. Seems you need thick skin to make it there, and he doesn't.

I wonder what his role would be. Excellent QB coach, excellent game planner/organizer, average play caller at best. Hard to tell. One thing is certain - had he hired a dedicated OC he'd have been better off, especially at Florida, even with the micromanaging. Didn't need to be some super wizard, just an underling who knew his system.

After typing that out, I don't think he'd make it in the NFL at all. I'd like to see the experiment though.
Offensive analyst

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I won't deny he did some great things as our coach. He made history. Then he spent November of every subsequent season job hunting. That would be understandable if he had stayed on top of his current job as head coach for Mississippi State. He checked out every season until he told us Friday he wasn't going anywhere, only to say goodbye Sunday. He should have kept his mouth shut until he was leaving. You can paint this decision any color you want, but it still sticks in your mind when you try to remember the good things he did here.
This is why I still do not think we have any coach who we can truly hail as 'our' guy. King Jackie had the final 3 years which tarnishes him, plus he beats off to Texas A&M daily. Mullen, as has been discussed here, just left too many what-ifs and unrealized potential and clearly didn't want to be here.

I'd lean toward Emory Bellard honestly. He gave us our singular best moment in history. And he showed us what it takes to win at MSU - a stout defense and a niche offense, full of underrated MS players with some other niche guys supplemented. But then he didn't recruit, and Emory became a memory.

This is why I'm not married to any uniform or logo. We don't have much nostalgia.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018

Everybody talks about how amazing of a play caller he was, yet I can't get Holloway up the middle, that dumbass double reverse pass against BYU (that ended up an interception), and especially the games of Alabama and Ole Miss in 2014, and South Alabama 2016 out of my mind. He had flashed of unsubstantiated greatness that gave the appearance of a good play caller, but when crunch time hit you can better believe it was somebody up the middle on 3rd and 12.

Reactions: drumrcraig

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Everybody talks about how amazing of a play caller he was, yet I can't get Holloway up the middle, that dumbass double reverse pass against BYU (that ended up an interception), and especially the games of Alabama and Ole Miss in 2014, and South Alabama 2016 out of my mind. He had flashed of unsubstantiated greatness that gave the appearance of a good play caller, but when crunch time hit you can better believe it was somebody up the middle on 3rd and 12.
General statement. It's probably hard to balance great play calling with also keeping the best players out of the game, or out of position. He certainly had a tendency to completely choke at the slightest sign of pressure to perform. #webelieve

Reactions: $altyDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
You read the same article I did? No Mullen defender here, but there were multiple stories in the article about him NOT micro-managing his assistants and therefore not playing the best players.

Reactions: Motodawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You read the same article I did? No Mullen defender here, but there were multiple stories in the article about him NOT micro-managing his assistants and therefore not playing the best players.
Nah, he's a micromanager, for sure. Those are just his guys. That's actually the essence of his micromanaging.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I've made it through the Grantham part and here are my thoughts so far:
1. Did this writer ask Grantham for a comment? I can't find that he did, but I feel like a 'declined to comment on this article' sentence is usually included in these. If he wasn't asked for a comment, then I think that's a mistake on the writer's part. Also, implying that a former player refusing to comment is more of an indictment than what comments were actually made is kind of irresponsible.

2. I don't think the 'displaying a complete lack of care for their personal space' is a big deal when we're talking coach-player relationships. Nobody is saying Grantham grabbed them or shoved them or anything. Getting into a player's personal space is part of coaching, especially in the heat of the moment.

3. Grantham being inaccessible or acting aloof towards the players, I feel like, IS a big problem. I feel like that has to be the flip side of #2 above. If you're going to break them down a little bit, you need to help build them back up. Sure, growl, make faces, yell at them about what they did wrong, but you're a coach, COACH them on how to do it right.

4. Using increased playing time as a carrot for players lower on the depth chart and decreased playing time as a stick for players higher on the depth chart is a pretty standard motivator for any team on any sport after you leave little league, so I'm not sure why that was specifically pointed out as something special.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Nah, he's a micromanager, for sure. Those are just his guys. That's actually the essence of his micromanaging.
No it’s not.

Micromanaging is the opposite of what Mullen did to hevesy in that article.
Micromanaging would have been making hevesy make the player a starter.
In that instance he probably should have micromanaged. He really probably should have just fired him.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You have had a very fortunate career if you’ve only experienced good leaders having success.
I didn’t say he was a good leader.
Said he wasn’t a terrible leader and he’s not.

At the end of the day does it matter if you are a good leader or not if you are successful?

If Florida had won the sec east his last year, do you think anyone would have cared if he was a “good” leader or bad one or just ok one?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think it says more about Florida honestly. How many ceos have they gone through, you know eventually it's time to reflect for them and wonder if they are the problem

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
When I read that article last night, I was continually just nodding my head in agreement as it reminded me a lot of my time at State. Hevesy was/is everything that article portrays him as. Hell Mullen added me on FB back then and then used my info on FB against me. Some people think that's some sort've motivational tactic. No.

I've had my fair share of "old school" coaches. Mullen/Hevesy/others aren't your "old school coaches coaching these snowflake kids that got their feelings hurt". You've got to walk that line of hard nosed vs respect. Balis was hard nosed, but man I respected him. He pushed you to your limit and then some. Would dog cuss you. Would make you question your existence. But any of his players would absolutely kill for him. We played for Balis. We played out of spite for Mullen.

I may have said this before but I'm sure you guys remember the Gator Bowl vs Northwestern? Mullen had made the prior 2 weeks so freaking miserable that I remember seeing teammates holding up two fingers in the locker room at halftime. Signaling "we only got 2 more quarters and then we can GTFO". And no one disagreed. We were all so done because none of us respected the guy. I've been told the Orange Bowl was the same thing (I was out by then).

Did Mullen put our program on the map? Absolutely. Did he make football relevant for us again? You bet. Could he have won more games had he just developed a little respect with his players? 1000%.
Thanks so much for this! I especially appreciate your comments about the Gator Bowl vs. Northwestern and I'd love to hear how "Mullen had made the prior 2 weeks so freaking miserable..." I'm not proud to say it but that was the last bowl game I attended--too much expense and traveling to watch an uninspired team get beat by, in my opinion, a much less talented opponent.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Thanks so much for this! I especially appreciate your comments about the Gator Bowl vs. Northwestern and I'd love to hear how "Mullen had made the prior 2 weeks so freaking miserable..." I'm not proud to say it but that was the last bowl game I attended--too much expense and traveling to watch an uninspired team get beat by, in my opinion, a much less talented opponent.

Yeah, but the culture at Northwestern was just "special"

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I do not and never will get the hate for Mullen here. He did the best coaching job at MSU I've seen in my nearly 60 years. The only one that comes close was JWS but he left us in a huge mess. Mullen left us WAY better than he found us. The man also had no MSU ties. He was always going to move on eventually. That he did it on his own terms (for a bigger job) and wasn't fired, like EVERY other MSU football coach other than Leach in my lifetime was, speaks volumes about how good a job he did.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I do not and never will get the hate for Mullen here. He did the best coaching job at MSU I've seen in my nearly 60 years. The only one that comes close was JWS but he left us in a huge mess. Mullen left us WAY better than he found us. The man also had no MSU ties. He was always going to move on eventually. That he did it on his own terms (for a bigger job) and wasn't fired, like EVERY other MSU football coach other than Leach in my lifetime was, speaks volumes about how good a job he did.

It's possible to dislike a guy and also acknowledge he's the best you've had as a coach.

It's pretty clear he is a grade A prick that you only tolerate if your paycheck depends on it or you like to hero worship.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
I've always liked Knox - but it is concerning if he was actually the one setting our RB depth chart, and not Mullen
Yep, not playing the best players should solely be left to high school coaches playing local town politics.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's possible to dislike a guy and also acknowledge he's the best you've had as a coach.

It's pretty clear he is a grade A prick that you only tolerate if your paycheck depends on it or you like to hero worship.
Or he wins. He won here more than any coach since the 40s.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I also think that this tracks with him recently naming MSU as "his school" in that interview that got linked on SPS. He was a disaster at Florida and has a near zero % chance of being fondly remembered there. So just pick the only other place that you head coached and hope your legacy there is better.
A disaster they also won the east. Put up great offensive numbers.

I do agree that msu was a better fit

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Most of the hate is because he left us with s loaded team and the couple of in between developed down years and the not finishing 14-15 stronger.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You said you don't get the hate. I tried to explain it while acknowledging that he's the best we've had.
I don't get the hate. You think I didn't know he was a prick? Everybody knew that. A LOT of good coaches have that trait. You don't see many of little Nick's ex-players get warm and fuzzy about him either.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Not disputing anything in the article, as it (along with Swede's experiences) has solidified so many of the rumors that were common around here during Mullen's tenure.

But we are starting to decipher this too deeply without addressing the elephant in the room (article). It's a UF fan site, and UF, by and large, has a history of some of the worst team culture problems in college football. They've had issues before Mullen, and will have issues with Napier.

Use that as a lense to read that article through and it paints a pretty whiny picture, obvious issues with Mullen & Co notwithstanding. I always get the impression UF feels like they are owed something in the college football world akin to UTex.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Not disputing anything in the article, as it (along with Swede's experiences) has solidified so many of the rumors that were common around here during Mullen's tenure.

But we are starting to decipher this too deeply without addressing the elephant in the room (article). It's a UF fan site, and UF, by and large, has a history of some of the worst team culture problems in college football. They've had issues before Mullen, and will have issues with Napier.

Use that as a lense to read that article through and it paints a pretty whiny picture, obvious issues with Mullen & Co notwithstanding. I always get the impression UF feels like they are owed something in the college football world akin to UTex.

And there's also the fact (it comes out much too late in the article) that the author is very good friends with a Florida player who transferred and obviously isn't a big fan of the coaches.

I've got a feeling much of his apparent unprecedented access to so many former players has a lot to do with his buddy. Whose perspectives on things is he likely to champion?

It just strikes me as things worth knowing.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't get the hate. You think I didn't know he was a prick? Everybody knew that. A LOT of good coaches have that trait. You don't see many of little Nick's ex-players get warm and fuzzy about him either.

How do you think the Bama fan base will talk about cuddly Nick if he leaves for Florida in 2 years (yes, I know that's not happening)?

There would be a lot of hate for the greatest CFB coach ever.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login