Mullen article - Grab your coffee and/or go to the toilet

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
All we have to do is wait for Mullen to cross the Croom Line, and they will come around. The Croom Line is the amount of time after a head coach leaves and all of the sudden people say he wasn’t that bad. Misguided or not. Judging by some of the threads this summer it’s right around 15 years.
The only way any MSU fan thinks Croom was even an OK coach, was either not alive to see it, or currently has brain damage.

We'd have been in a better place in Croom's tenure to have not had football in 2004 and start the program from scratch, than we did having him from 2003-2008.

Watch the Maine Game. and tell me otherwise. He should have been fired on the field for losing to a 5-6 FCS school.

Reactions: eckie1

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve never said he was the best coach ever.

I’ve said he’s the best coach msu has ever had when you consider tenured success AT MSU.

That’s a fact. Can’t be argued intelligently.

You can’t do what Mullen did at MSU and be bad at your job.
Nobody ever said he was a bad coach you hard-headed m17er.

They said he was a bad LEADER.

Reactions: ChE1997

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
That's why we got Pete Sirmon. They met at some or other clinic and he hired him because he didn't know any other options. Then Grantham called and told Dan "I'm gonna run your defense next year"

He always seems to struggle to make assistant hires, as many as there were.
I hope his assistants don’t all suck, because we have three of his former hires on staff.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Name good head coaches that are bad leaders. Head coaching and leadership usually goes hand in hand. Typically on matrix as you get better coaching you should also have better leadership. If you aren't a good leader you typically won't be a good head coach. There are lots of assshole leaders just because you don't like the leadership style doesn't make them a bad leader. Not all leaders are your friends or kiss your asss. Some are sons of bittches. Different styles but also leaders. Goat you obviously don't know a damn about leadership. Maybe go out and research leadership maybe take leadership course or two might help.

Last edited:
Reactions: paindonthurt

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’ve never said he was the best coach ever.

I’ve said he’s the best coach msu has ever had when you consider tenured success AT MSU.

That’s a fact. Can’t be argued intelligently.

You can’t do what Mullen did at MSU and be bad at your job.
Sorry, bro, but when it comes to Merlinzzz I’m not gonna hear about “intelligent arguments” from you.

The piece you’re missing is how much better Mullen could have been (here or anywhere) had he just committed 100% to his employer and the task at hand. He mentally bailed early here and Florida, and now he’ll never have another P5 job again unless it’s a completely desperate program (K-State, Va Tech, etc).

You refuse to acknowledge points that you don’t agree with regarding Mullen. It’s truly bizarre.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He was a pretty good coach, not a great coach.
Great coaches elevate programs. He did that for us. He was doing an okay job at Florida for them until the last season. He was producing offense they hadn't seen in a while. The last season they got impatient with his development process and he got frustrated with the pressure

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Name good head coaches that are bad leaders. Head coaching and leadership usually goes hand in hand. Typically on matrix as you get better coaching you should also have better leadership. If you aren't a good leader you typically won't be a good head coach. There are lots of assshole leaders just because you don't like the leadership style doesn't make them a bad leader. Not all leaders are your friends or kids your asss. Some are sons of bittches. Different styles but also leaders. Goat you obviously don't know a damn about leadership. Maybe go out and research leadership maybe take leadership course or two might help.
Bobby Petrino, Jimbo Fisher, the list goes on.

I may or may not be a good leader or I may or may not have taken a leadership course. It don't matter, that's just your weak attempt at character assassination. But the facts are, Mullen could 100% gain something from a few leadership courses.

By the way, "a$$hole" and "sons of bltches" are not terms that go hand in hand with good leadership. Nick Saban is a good leader, and the same type of coach as those guys above. That's why he recruits better.

You and your little pals in this thread are pretty clueless.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Probably reason you still where you are. Never tried to get a better job
Working in an office is one thing.

Working for a highly visible P5 school and farting in their collective face for about 7 consecutive years by publicly job shopping is totally different. Especially when nobody would bite. It’s a shame we didn’t fire him, honestly.

Y’all need some 17ing help. Frfr.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Btw, there are many, many examples throughout history of people who had leadership qualities that got them ahead, but who, upon later reflection, were horrible leaders and sometimes even worse human beings.

Right after Hitler got France to surrender in basically a nanosecond and appeared ready to dominate all of Europe and England, there were a lot of Germans who thought he was the most dynamic and genius leader they'd ever seen.

Many American intellectuals were extremely enamored with the leadership qualities of Joseph Stalin before the whole killing multiple millions of his own citizens thing came out late in his illustrious career. But we damn sure woulda lost WWII without him being willing to throw millions into the meat grinder.

Point being. Great leaders might not be all that simple to identify and it might not be a really good record at a perennial doormat that reveals a great leader.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Working for a highly visible P5 school and farting in their collective face for about 7 consecutive years by publicly job shopping is totally different. Especially when nobody would bite. It’s a shame we didn’t fire him, honestly.

Lol this smells of guy who was left standing at the alter or divorced by the best woman that he could get because she found something better. Coaches don't stay forever, 9 years is a long time for a coach. Was he an *** to some sure, but one of the best coaches we ever had . I swear some of you would rather have sloppy jo or croom just because they were nicer guys and did more in the community and would have stayed here. News flash to you and media that were glad when Mullen left, the coach isn't here to hang out with you and be your friend. He's hired to win football games. Period. How he handles that is irrelevant as long as he wins at a good percentage. Sorry he hurt your feelings looking for better jobs. News flash again, msu is not a premier football school. For someone not from Mississippi didn't grow up as a fan, it's a job. He excelled at that job. He did what he was always expected to do if he excelled. He could have left for multiple jobs several times but he was waiting for more of a premier program. When he got the chance he left, as many would do in their own industry if a premier position opened unless they were working in their home town in an industry position that would pay them as good and give them as much national recognition. It's business. Some of you can't see that. I left my home state and first employer for more premier opportunities. It happens

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I may or may not be a good leader or I may or may not have taken a leadership course. It don't matter, that's just your weak attempt at character assassination. But the facts are, Mullen could 100% gain something from a few leadership courses.

By the way, "a$$hole" and "sons of bltches" are not terms that go hand in hand with good leadership. Nick Saban is a good leader, and the same type of coach as those guys above. That's why he recruits better.

There are several people that would call saban an ******* but he wins so it slides. I know lots of lsu fans that sound like msu fans talking about Mullen when talking about him. It's just sour grapes and hurt feelings

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Lol this smells of guy who was left standing at the alter or divorced by the best woman that he could get because she found something better. Coaches don't stay forever, o years is s long time for a coach. Was he an *** to some sure, but one of the best coaches wd ever had . I swear some of you would rather have sloppy jo or croom just because they were nicer guys and did more in the community and would have stayed here. News flash to you and media that were glad when Mullen left, the coach isn't here to hang out with you and be your friend. He's hired to win football games. Period. How he handles that is irrelevant as long as he wins at a good percentage. Sorry he hurt your feelings looking for better jobs. News flash again, msu is not a premier football school. For someone not from Mississippi didn't grow up as a fan, it's a job. He excelled at that job. He did what he was always expected to do if he excelled. He could have left for multiple jobs several times but he was waiting for more of a premier program. When he got the chance he left, as many would do in their own industry if a premier position opened unless they were working in their home town in an industry position that would pay them as good and give them as much national recognition. It's business. Some of you can't see that. I left my home state and first employer for more premier opportunities. It happens

Dude, you frequently come across as about as big a prick as the coach we're discussing.

Maybe turn your ego down off 11 and take a break from this place for a bit.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Honest question. Would you have taken Mullen over Moorhead in 18?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Great coaches elevate programs. He did that for us. He was doing an okay job at Florida for them until the last season. He was producing offense they hadn't seen in a while. The last season they got impatient with his development process and he got frustrated with the pressure
This.

If the argument was Mullen was distracted, gave up, etc, I’d probably agree. But the argument that he’s a terrible leader is idiotic.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

You don’t think Nick Saban cusses?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Yep. Firing the most successful coach we’ve ever had SCREAMS LEADERSHIP!!

Amirite!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Btw, there are many, many examples throughout history of people who had leadership qualities that got them ahead, but who, upon later reflection, were horrible leaders and sometimes even worse human beings.

Right after Hitler got France to surrender in basically a nanosecond and appeared ready to dominate all of Europe and England, there were a lot of Germans who thought he was the most dynamic and genius leader they'd ever seen.

Many American intellectuals were extremely enamored with the leadership qualities of Joseph Stalin before the whole killing multiple millions of his own citizens thing came out late in his illustrious career. But we damn sure woulda lost WWII without him being willing to throw millions into the meat grinder.

Point being. Great leaders might not be all that simple to identify and it might not be a really good record at a perennial doormat that reveals a great leader.
I think you are making some our points.

Hitler was a good leader. People followed him and he was extremely successful.

He was a ****** person.

You can have good leadership qualities and use that for bad things.
You can have great leadership qualities and not be successful.
You can be an ok leader and be successful.

you can’t be a ****** leader and lead msu to 9 years of success.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Dude, you frequently come across as about as big a prick as the coach we're discussing.

Maybe turn your ego down off 11 and take a break from this place for a bit.
Did I hurt your feelings? Maybe I'm prick to some but that doesn't hurt my feelings. The way I am has gotten me places. Sometimes you have to be mean to people and make hard decisions that people don't like. I take it you haven't ever had to fire anyone or get results out of some one. I'm sure some of our players thought leach could be a prick when he talked about their fat little girlfriends.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Did I hurt your feelings? Maybe I'm prick to some but that doesn't hurt my feelings. The way I am has gotten me places. Sometimes you have to be mean to people and make hard decisions that people don't like. I take it you haven't ever had to fire anyone or get results out of some one. I'm sure some of our players thought leach could be a prick when he talked about their fat little girlfriends.

You weren't talking to me. I'm just pointing out, as somewhat impartial, that you have some serious prick tendencies that are easy to see.

Prick on I guess. You be you studmuffin.

Btw, this board is not a place you need those qualities you're so proud of to get ahead. It just seems to be a place folks feel real comfortable letting some of their bad qualities fly. Myself included sometimes.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I think you are making some our points.

Hitler was a good leader. People followed him and he was extremely successful.

He was a ****** person.

You can have good leadership qualities and use that for bad things.
You can have great leadership qualities and not be successful.
You can be an ok leader and be successful.

you can’t be a ****** leader and lead msu to 9 years of success.

I've honestly lost the thread on who thinks what here. Time to check outta this thread. See y'all in the next pillow fight.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You almost had me there, my good man. Outstanding!
My point is by all accounts SloMo was very driven, worked hard, recruited hard, and was an offensive genius, but he didn’t quite put it together. Sure you can blame the square QB in the round peg, but Mullen makes those adjustments. I would also think there was something with day to day preparations that weren’t done as well as Mullen did. Did Mullen have his flaws? Of course he did, but we are not the Elon Musk of CFB. We can’t go out and buy a RR Droptail. We are more in the market for a used corvette. It will have some flaws but hopefully it gets the job done and isn’t a Lemon-is. (Couldn’t resist) If there is a coach that is driven, talented, has an incredible work ethic, recruits well, is a great leader, and calls a great game, he ain’t coming here, if he does, he ain’t staying long.

For those saying we need a coach that gives 100%. Isn’t everyone on this board enamored with the what might have been if Spurrier came here. He is self admittedly one of the laziest coaches in the last 40 years. He just had a great offensive mind and play caller, was a great communicator and leader, and delegated well. He also had charm, which is something Mullen lacked in spades.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
My point is by all accounts SloMo was very driven, worked hard, recruited hard, and was an offensive genius, but he didn’t quite put it together. Sure you can blame the square QB in the round peg, but Mullen makes those adjustments. I would also think there was something with day to day preparations that weren’t done as well as Mullen did. Did Mullen have his flaws? Of course he did, but we are not the Elon Musk of CFB. We can’t go out and buy a RR Droptail. We are more in the market for a used corvette. It will have some flaws but hopefully it gets the job done and isn’t a Lemon-is. (Couldn’t resist) If there is a coach that is driven, talented, has an incredible work ethic, recruits well, is a great leader, and calls a great game, he ain’t coming here, if he does, he ain’t staying long.

For those saying we need a coach that gives 100%. Isn’t everyone on this board enamored with the what might have been if Spurrier came here. He is self admittedly one of the laziest coaches in the last 40 years. He just had a great offensive mind and play caller, was a great communicator and leader, and delegated well. He also had charm, which is something Mullen lacked in spades.

Unequivocally eleventy billion percent give me Merlinzzz the year we hired Schlomo. Schlomo destroyed the offense, and the defense couldn’t be destroyed if we tried.

I don’t get what y’all aren’t getting. Mullen literally spent more time looking for the next big thing than he didn’t. Spurrier never did that.

ETA: from my own career standpoint. I started with companies for 15 and 7 years, and one was due to a relocation. With the way things are right now I’ve been more prone to keep an eye for what’s out there and move around way more than I was in the past. Recently, a company rehired me because I gave 100% previously and they wanted me back.

Should I have spent more than half my time job shopping?

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Do you realize how hard it would have been to not elevate us from the Croom era? Would you have had to have been a great coach to do that?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Unequivocally eleventy billion percent give me Merlinzzz the year we hired Schlomo. Schlomo destroyed the offense, and the defense couldn’t be destroyed if we tried.

I don’t get what y’all aren’t getting. Mullen literally spent more time looking for the next big thing than he didn’t. Spurrier never did that.

ETA: from my own career standpoint. I started with companies for 15 and 7 years, and one was due to a relocation. With the way things are right now I’ve been more prone to keep an eye for what’s out there and move around way more than I was in the past. Recently, a company rehired me because I gave 100% previously and they wanted me back.

Should I have spent more than half my time job shopping?
I’d just rather have a coach that bigger schools are interested in, than a coach that nobody wants. That’s my point.

To your second point, in 2019 a competitor reached out that they needed someone with my experience and they were interested in me. It would have been a significant bump even if I was at the bottom of the salary range. I didn’t even apply and leverage because I was loyal to my Credit Union. In 2020 my CU dissolved my department, with no equivalent job within the company I was let go. Loyalty doesn’t feed your family. If Mullen worked as hard as he could in 2018 and 2019 and went 3-9 both years, we wouldn’t have been loyal to him. Mullen didn’t even coach for us in 2018, but he won 4 games for us with the defense he left behind, despite Slomo’s offense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login