Mullen article - Grab your coffee and/or go to the toilet

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I didn’t say he was a good leader.
Said he wasn’t a terrible leader and he’s not.

At the end of the day does it matter if you are a good leader or not if you are successful?

If Florida had won the sec east his last year, do you think anyone would have cared if he was a “good” leader or bad one or just ok one?
Leadership matters if the organization wants to instill a solid foundation. We squandered any momentum we might have had and were holding on until Leach got here to rebuild things and couldn't even capitalize on being the first #1 ranked team in the new system. I think that the locker room mess that the article indicates and that Swede validates has a lot to do with that, and that is poor leadership. That stuff doesn't stay bottled up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leadership matters if the organization wants to instill a solid foundation. We squandered any momentum we might have had and were holding on until Leach got here to rebuild things and couldn't even capitalize on being the first #1 ranked team in the new system. I think that the locker room mess that the article indicates and that Swede validates has a lot to do with that, and that is poor leadership. That stuff doesn't stay bottled up.
Whoa now. "Squandered" is a strong word. 2015 was a good year, 2016 was a rebuilding year (where he was checked out), but we got back in 2017 and 2018 due to him. I mean we are always going to be an up and down program at MSU, until we get some big influx of fans/money/support.

But your GENERAL point is good. Mullen needed to take the next step in his 'leadership', whether that was MSU or Florida. But here's a little known secret known by people who pay attention - the 2019 and 2020 crash was coming, even if Mullen had stayed. He'd have probably done better than Sloppy though, for sure.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How do you think the Bama fan base will talk about cuddly Nick if he leaves for Florida in 2 years (yes, I know that's not happening)?

There would be a lot of hate for the greatest CFB coach ever.
Well, seeing as that would be a move to a worse program, you aren't comparing equal situations.

Reactions: drumrcraig

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
He got great results compared to every coach in our history. Fact. Period.

We can all attest to that by what’s in black and white in the record books.

Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of him. His results were great for MSU.

Could he have been better?
could he have done things different to have more success?
Sure.
Could you post the same 17ing post
eleventy billion times without addressing a single point that people make? Yes.

You are truly psychotic when it comes to your defense of Dan Mullen.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
One guys opinion or 5 guys opinion doesn’t validate anything.

blah blah blah

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Every person I've talked to that knows Hevesy personally says the same thing. He's pretty much an arrogant ********** who is a narcissist , but is pretty much that way because he is really an insecure prick who has little dong syndrome.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Wow! That reads like every rumor that was coming out of State under Mullen. It was hard to believe it when he was here but it sounds like Florida was just more of the same and Hevesey and Grantham sound as bad, or worse, than any of the rumors when they were here.
Does it though? All I heard was Mullen always tinkered and butted in with the defense. This sounds like he should have done it more.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
Sounds like a bunch cry babies to me. College coaches aren't exactly nice dudes. They aren't usually winners if they are. Mullen Hevesy and Grantham are all old school coaches. Grantham was probably pissed he didn't get a chance at our job either time. From accounts from our former players and staff Mullen was tough and like to develop his guys. Sometimes those guys didn't pan out. These guys just sound bitter that they aren't or weren't coddled. Typical Florida. Ran off a good cosch. But Mullen wanted that. Or at least he thought he did. Probably realized it in 22 he didn't want that pressure and to deal with the prima-donnas that Florida has. Is what it is.
You can demand excellence without being an *******. That pretty much sums it up

Reactions: She Mate Me

JoeSchmedlap

May 28, 2023
For all his flaws, Don Merlin was the best head football coach I’ve seen at MSU in my lifetime. He was his own worst enemy though. He desperately needed someone in the athletic department to hold him accountable in order to improve himself as a head coach/CEO and as a person. Well, that wasn’t ever happening at little old moo U. Dan was far too arrogant to allow any boss to hold him accountable. In the end though, the guy has a helluva stacked bank account and won’t have to ever work another day in his life unless he wants to. We should all be so flawed and lucky.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Dak loved these coaches, but I guess that means he was a "favored player" with less talent than his backups.***

I get that coaches can go over the line with tough love and move into demeaning/demoralizing behavior, but these players are supposed to be the toughest of the tough. Also, there are around 100 athletes involved in the program each year. Only 22 or so are going to be happy since they are starters, the rest will be unhappy with their roles. Some more than others. It will often be blamed on the coaches.

And if Greg Knox didn't want to play that RB who had a good run in practice, there was probably a good reason for it.

Reactions: Maroon13

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Does it though? All I heard was Mullen always tinkered and butted in with the defense. This sounds like he should have done it more.
I'm probably projecting from PTSD related to past bad leadership experiences. I've seen the guy who can simultaneously, meddle with things his team is doing while also not holding that team's leadership accountable for being terrible humans. It's a unique ability to, by virtue of your actions, tell your team leader (e.g. DC) that he's not doing a good job, while simultaneously not directly addressing the leaders failings. i.e. his "style" as described by the people who were in his programs resonates with some bad past business leadership experiences. I also tend to put a little more stock in first person experiences relayed via that article and Swede. Apparently, @paindonthurt doesn't think that they know as much about it as the average SPS poster does...

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I'm probably projecting from PTSD related to past bad leadership experiences. I've seen the guy who can simultaneously, meddle with things his team is doing while also not holding that team's leadership accountable for being terrible humans. It's a unique ability to, by virtue of your actions, tell your team leader (e.g. DC) that he's not doing a good job, while simultaneously not directly addressing the leaders failings. i.e. his "style" as described by the people who were in his programs resonates with some bad past business leadership experiences. I also tend to put a little more stock in first person experiences relayed via that article and Swede. Apparently, @paindonthurt doesn't think that they know as much about it as the average SPS poster does...
I don’t think you or I know more than any of the people/players. But people don’t always tell the truth. Sometimes bc they are lying, sometimes due to bias. Lot of reasons.

But Dan Mullen was successful AF at msu and you don’t do that for 9 years while being bad at your job. Being a terrible leader would have made him bad at his job.

Being a better would have made him better at his job.

Being good at your job is defined by long term results.

Ons second you say he was a meddling A hole then you chastise him for not doing enough according to this article. Those are very opposing ideas/thoughts.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don’t think you are I know more than any of the people/players. But people don’t always tell the truth. Sometimes bc they are lying, sometimes due to bias. Lot of reasons.

But Dan Mullen was successful AF at msu and you don’t do that for 9 years while being bad at your job. Being a terrible leader would have made him bad at his job.

Being a better would have made him better at his job.

Being good at your job is defined by long term results.

Ons second you say he was a meddling A hole then you chastise him for not doing enough according to this article. Those are very opposing ideas/thoughts.
"It's a unique ability to, by virtue of your actions, tell your team leader (e.g. DC) that he's not doing a good job (implicit 'by meddling'), while simultaneously not directly addressing the leaders failings.."

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

I don’t really need to defend useless points when I have 9 years of results.

Im not overly defensive of Dan Mullen. Some of you idiots are overly critical of him.

He was a dick. Who cares?
Sabans a dick. Who cares?

Croom was a nice guy. Charismatic. Players loved him. Who cares? He sucked as a football coach.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I think he's had the luxury of only having seen good leaders "succeed". I have not been afforded that. I've had the exact opposite at times and it is much worse when bad leaders "succeed". Because people like @paindonthurt just say things like, well the business is making money so he must be a good leader and continue to enable the bad leader. No, the business is way underperforming what it would be doing with good leadership. The culture sucks. The ceiling is pretty much set because we will never grow beyond current earnings because we have a bad leader. And soon, it will fall apart for the bad leader, either at here or elsewhere, because you can only go so long before the chickens come home to roost.

And his only defense of his opinion is that all the Florida players and Swede are just lying about poor ole Dan. Odd take. The last I'll chime in on this thread as I'm on repeat now. Some people, you just can't reach; and then, you get what we have right here...

Reactions: eckie1

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I think he's had the luxury of only having seen good leaders "succeed". I have not been afforded that. I've had the exact opposite at times and it is much worse when bad leaders "succeed". Because people like @paindonthurt just say things like, well the business is making money so he must be a good leader and continue to enable the bad leader. No, the business is way underperforming what it would be doing with good leadership. The culture sucks. The ceiling is pretty much set because we will never grow beyond current earnings because we have a bad leader. And soon, it will fall apart for the bad leader, either at here or elsewhere, because you can only go so long before the chickens come home to roost.

And his only defense of his opinion is that all the Florida players and Swede are just lying about poor ole Dan. Odd take. The last I'll chime in on this thread as I'm on repeat now. Some people, you just can't reach; and then, you get what we have right here...
You are full of $h1t and I think most rational and intelligent people see that.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think the most common Mullen meddling theory was A and B team defense in 14-15. Reading this article, it doesn’t seem like his MO. Now it could be an example of how he was with Hevesy for so many years, he gave him autonomy. It could be that the relationship got to a point where it blurred those employer/employee lines and Hevesy used that to give himself autonomy. With Collins and Diaz not being one of Mullen’s boys maybe he felt he knew better or he was more comfortable telling them what to do. I just think some people will blame Mullen for everything that happened bad in his tenure. I realize he is the CEO but sometimes things happen. Perfect example is Peter Sirmon. On paper he was identical to Arnett. I’m sure he interviewed well also. So do I blame Mullen on the catastrophe of the 2016 defense? Not really. Sirmon didn’t work out and was let go immediately.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Mullen was a good to Great coach for us at MSU. HE beat the teams he was supposed to, and won more consistently than anyone since McKeen.

But he has/had his flaws.
He thought he was way better than he was.
He was constantly looking for the next step up, to the detriment of the end of our season.
He didn't know how to coach the Big Game.
He didn't always play the best players
He hated Recruiting

To me the Irony of him looking around would have taken care of itself if he'd addressed his other weaknesses.

If he doesn't let the team play with so much emotion at Bama in 2016 and vs Ole Miss that year, he's in the playoff and would have had his pick of jobs without looking around.

If he'd been taught the Leach system of being the CEO and letting his Chief of Staff run the things he didn't want to do, he could be a great coach.

Time will tell if his time off from UF will teach him that.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
@POTUS. Cure your simple mind.
You just continually out your own ignorance my guy. I will try to help you one last time. I can't believe we are even having this argument (if you want to call it that) on an MSU message board. Google micromanaging. Then read the article. Mullen wouldn't make Knox or Hevesy play clearly better players, i.e. (that's from the Latin ID EST which means "which means") he wasn't micromanaging them, but quite the opposite. It is embarrassing that anyone with a college degree would need this spelled out for them. Please don't bandy about such ignorance while advertising your connection to MSU.

Reactions: paindonthurt

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I just have to say Thank You to those I agree with and disagree with. Damn it feels good arguing college football again!
Nicolas Cage Hair GIF

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I see a guy who was clearly an outstanding coordinator. That comes through clearly in the article. He knows offense forwards and backwards. That can obviously carry you a long way.

But there are too many signs that he never fully made the transition to HC.

And when you have that many full on azz holes in your inner circle, who you are not standing up to like a HC has to do. Well, you see what happens.
You have a great record at a place that’s traditionally hard to win at?

Reactions: mcdawg22

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You just continually out your own ignorance my guy. I will try to help you one last time. I can't believe we are even having this argument (if you want to call it that) on an MSU message board. Google micromanaging. Then read the article. Mullen wouldn't make Knox or Hevesy play clearly better players, i.e. (that's from the Latin ID EST which means "which means") he wasn't micromanaging them, but quite the opposite. It is embarrassing that anyone with a college degree would need this spelled out for them. Please don't bandy about such ignorance while advertising your connection to MSU.
We aren’t really sure he has a college degree but trust me I’ve met a bunch of idiots with degrees.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We aren’t really sure he has a college degree but trust me I’ve met a bunch of idiots with degrees.
"We". You're looking hard for an ally to latch onto in this thread, and I get that. You're being devastated. But not sure if @POTUS is the one in which you should entrust with that responsibility.

But hey, you two seem to have much in common.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You have a great record at a place that’s traditionally hard to win at?
All we have to do is wait for Mullen to cross the Croom Line, and they will come around. The Croom Line is the amount of time after a head coach leaves and all of the sudden people say he wasn’t that bad. Misguided or not. Judging by some of the threads this summer it’s right around 15 years.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
All we have to do is wait for Mullen to cross the Croom Line, and they will come around. The Croom Line is the amount of time after a head coach leaves and all of the sudden people say he wasn’t that bad. Misguided or not. Judging by some of the threads this summer it’s right around 15 years.
The odd thing is that in these threads, NOBODY is claiming Mullen was a bad coach. Most agree he was awesome for us, all things considered. But if you say he wasn’t “teh b3st c04ch evarrr”, **** gets real.

He has some severe character flaws that he can’t seem to get past. And it’s kept him from being the legitimate best coach ever.

Croom is an inept human being who was even worse as a head coach. 15,000 years won’t change that.

Reactions: ChE1997

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
"We". You're looking hard for an ally to latch onto in this thread, and I get that. You're being devastated. But not sure if @POTUS is the one in which you should entrust with that responsibility.

But hey, you two seem to have much in common.
I mean I don’t need an ally but I know 70% plus of the board thinks “goat gonna goat”.

So you do you man.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The odd thing is that in these threads, NOBODY is claiming Mullen was a bad coach. Most agree he was awesome for us, all things considered. But if you say he wasn’t “teh b3st c04ch evarrr”, **** gets real.

He has some severe character flaws that he can’t seem to get past. And it’s kept him from being the legitimate best coach ever.

Croom is an inept human being who was even worse as a head coach. 15,000 years won’t change that.
I’ve never said he was the best coach ever.

I’ve said he’s the best coach msu has ever had when you consider tenured success AT MSU.

That’s a fact. Can’t be argued intelligently.

You can’t do what Mullen did at MSU and be bad at your job.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’ve never said he was the best coach ever.

I’ve said he’s the best coach msu has ever had when you consider tenured success AT MSU.

That’s a fact. Can’t be argued intelligently.

You can’t do what Mullen did at MSU and be bad at your job.
Ehh I’d say McKeen, but i do understand you are talking about after the forward pass was invented.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I think his biggest mistake was taking too many of his old staff with him from State to Florida. He built that up over years and they fit the culture at State but the culture at Florida is different. He should have gone out and got a new staff like many other new head coaches do. They probably would have given him the money to go get the new coaches he wanted.
That's why we got Pete Sirmon. They met at some or other clinic and he hired him because he didn't know any other options. Then Grantham called and told Dan "I'm gonna run your defense next year"

He always seems to struggle to make assistant hires, as many as there were.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login