Official 2024 PSU - Bowling Green game thread

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
But what is good enough? 24 point win? Defense that gives up 0 yards? Allar with 100% completion rate and a TD on every play? Not quite sure what the standard is. I always thought it was about the score at the end of the game. Some of us must be dumb to think that though.
I’d say a 20-24 point win and some progression that shows they built on last week’s win.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Differing opinion does not make one a troll. And there are plenty who have issues with the program there too.

No, differing opinions does not make one a troll. I didn't say it did. What I said stands true. We have to deal with trolls over here on the free board, where as that isn't an issue on the pay board because trolls aren't going to pay to be a troll.

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
I’m talking the last 2 10-2 teams vying for spot 12. Style matters.
Here's my take .
I seriously doubt a close win vs a MAC team in the early season is make or brake when it comes to qualifying for a playoff spot. Later in the season or consistently spotty performance may subject you to the Florida St. treatment. If today is , in fact, not proven to be an outlier by the results of the next ten games....we won't have to worry about sloppy wins.
Finally, getting in is nice. But qualifying with no prospects to advance is a phyrric victory in my book.
I've always felt that week 2 is a big step in team development. Only time will tell if this was "who we are" or a letdown.
I approach every PSU season with the conviction that finishing how you recruit ( on a consistent basis) is a fair expectation.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
What the heck were you expecting? This season so far he's looked like the most talented QB we have had in a long, long time. The INT today was his worst throw of the season but he's had some absolute lasers that were balls on accurate (it's a technical term) into tight windows.
It’s not the interception that concerns me. It’s when things don’t go exactly as planned and he gets pressured. He still looks flustered. He’s going to be put in that position a lot more frequently when we are playing more talented teams.

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Football was meant to be a team sport. NIL and the portal make it difficult to reconcile team first with me first. I think we may see more "teams" defeat groups of "future focused " individuals like we witnessed yesterday in NIU vs ND.

Reactions: Nitt1300

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
It’s not the interception that concerns me. It’s when things don’t go exactly as planned and he gets pressured. He still looks flustered. He’s going to be put in that position a lot more frequently when we are playing more talented teams.
My opinion is that Allar is a 4 year college QB trapped in a 3 year era.

Reactions: bdgan

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
Stay in the Top 8 and the playoffs are certain. Mess around and fall into 9-12 and then this game could come back to haunt us.

There are worse things than a team with two new coordinators struggling against Bowling Green. We could be Notre Dame this morning. I was there yesterday and the angst in that stadium was a palpable.

It’s a simple formula the rest of the way. Win the games we should win. Split the two hard games without the loss being a blowout, and we’re in. Anything else, we’re out.

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
Split the two hard games

USC is gonna be an epic game, meaning tons to both teams

I think that OSU is still a hill too high to climb. They might be the single most talented college football team ever assembled. Unless Ryan Day does Ryan Day things, I have a hard time seeing anyone beating them.

USC is a different story. I’m not sold at all that the LSU win is going to look as impressive 6 weeks from a now. Maybe I’m wrong, but the Trojans seem to be a thing that the media wants to make happen like Miami and Notre Dame. The biggest downside to that game is that it’ll be in LA. It’s not that I believe the Coliseum to be a tough place to play, because it’s not, it’s simply the travel that the novelty that worries me.

Reactions: Snide75

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I’ve never understood the Oregon hype. You see them play, and the talent isn’t comparable to what you see at the top national championship contenders.
With that said, I really want to see them beat Ohio State and their $20 million dollar transfer roster.

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
With that said, I really want to see them beat Ohio State and their $20 million dollar transfer roster.

I’m ambivalent about that whole thing. To be clear, I don’t like Ohio State in the least. But they don’t rise to level of teams like the Atlanta Braves, KC Chiefs, or Clemson Tigers that I can say that I truly despise.

If it’s a choice between OSU, Texas, or Georgia winning the national title, I’m taking Ohio State.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
They’ll lose to USC later. Otherwise, their schedule is a joke. Regardless, the talking heads will try to make a case for a 2 loss ND to make the playoff.

But, if they beat a ranked/undefeated USC, people will gloss over this loss and will say the USC win is more indicative of their program (good win better than bad loss).

Reactions: Classof09

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
But, if they beat a ranked/undefeated USC, people will gloss over this loss and will say the USC win is more indicative of their program (good win better than bad loss).

I was at the game yesterday, and I can tell you that this team, as it currently is, will not have just two loses. Their offense is putrid. They have nothing on the outside that will scare anybody. Their shiny new OC appears to be allergic to doing anything that resembles power running. So they’re leaning on an inexperienced offensive line to execute a lot of pulling and trapping on outside runs that simply aren’t coming together.

The one shot they took down the field ended in an ugly interception.

Unless they have the testicular fortitude to make a change at QB, their defense (which is actually pretty good) is going to have to carry all the mail for them.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I was at the game yesterday, and I can tell you that this team, as it currently is, will not have just two loses. Their offense is putrid. They have nothing on the outside that will scare anybody. Their shiny new OC appears to be allergic to doing anything that resembles power running. So they’re leaning on an inexperienced offensive line to execute a lot of pulling and trapping on outside runs that simply aren’t coming together.

The one shot they took down the field ended in an ugly interception.

Unless they have the testicular fortitude to make a change at QB, their defense (which is actually pretty good) is going to have to carry all the mail for them.
And who exactly is this new QB going to pass to? As usual, the backup QB is the best player on the team (eye roll).

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
That’s a big “if”. I think Lincoln Riley will have their way with the ND defense. The USC D is much improved also. ND has a lot of progress to make to pull off that upset.

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
And who exactly is this new QB going to pass to? As usual, the backup QB is the best player on the team (eye roll).

They have an All American candidate at tight end who’s working his way back from a torn ACL. Jordan Fasion, their best wide receiver, was out this game and their next game with an ankle injury. Beau Collins and Kris Mitchell, their grad transfer receivers could maybe be something, but it’s impossible to tell because Riley Leonard is so awful with his accuracy.

Their best QB is CJ Carr (Lloyd’s grandson). But he’s buried on their depth chart. He looks the most like a high level college QB out of anyone that they have.

While I agree with you that going to the backup is the wrong idea 9 times out of 10, this is the one time that it should happen. They cannot run Mike Denbrock’s offense with wish.com Tim Tebow.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
If something like this had to happen I’m glad it happened against Bowling Green rather then in B1G play.
BG’s heavy senior population resembles one of those mid-major basketball teams that create havoc in March Madness.
Agree as long as "something like this happened" as opposed to a preview of weaknesses yet to be exposed.
I think that OSU is still a hill too high to climb. They might be the single most talented college football team ever assembled. Unless Ryan Day does Ryan Day things, I have a hard time seeing anyone beating them.

USC is a different story. I’m not sold at all that the LSU win is going to look as impressive 6 weeks from a now. Maybe I’m wrong, but the Trojans seem to be a thing that the media wants to make happen like Miami and Notre Dame. The biggest downside to that game is that it’ll be in LA. It’s not that I believe the Coliseum to be a tough place to play, because it’s not, it’s simply the travel that the novelty that worries me.
USC's win over LSU is a lot better than our win over BGSU and it will look even better if they follow it up with a win over Michigan in 2 weeks.

Reactions: PSU87

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I'd like to agree with you but....

OSU is going to make the playoffs regardless. PSU is competing with Oregon for an at large spot.

Reactions: SleepyLion

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Agree as long as "something like this happened" as opposed to a preview of weaknesses yet to be exposed.

USC's win over LSU is a lot better than our win over BGSU and it will look even better if they follow it up with a win over Michigan in 2 weeks.
This is what I was trying to say yesterday

Reactions: Midnighter

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
They have an All American candidate at tight end who’s working his way back from a torn ACL. Jordan Fasion, their best wide receiver, was out this game and their next game with an ankle injury. Beau Collins and Kris Mitchell, their grad transfer receivers could maybe be something, but it’s impossible to tell because Riley Leonard is so awful with his accuracy.

Their best QB is CJ Carr (Lloyd’s grandson). But he’s buried on their depth chart. He looks the most like a high level college QB out of anyone that they have.

While I agree with you that going to the backup is the wrong idea 9 times out of 10, this is the one time that it should happen. They cannot run Mike Denbrock’s offense with wish.com Tim Tebow.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Penn State and replacing Allar….my bad.

Reactions: kgilbert78

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021

That depends on what LSU ends up doing throughout the year. If they end up sucking, it won’t look like a good win.

Reactions: Classof09