Official 2024 PSU - Bowling Green game thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I'd like to agree with you but....

OSU is going to make the playoffs regardless. PSU is competing with Oregon for an at large spot.
I think they are both making the playoffs regardless. USC/PSU will make up the third B1G team making the playoff.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Stay in the Top 8 and the playoffs are certain. Mess around and fall into 9-12 and then this game could come back to haunt us.

There are worse things than a team with two new coordinators struggling against Bowling Green. We could be Notre Dame this morning. I was there yesterday and the angst in that stadium was a palpable.

It’s a simple formula the rest of the way. Win the games we should win. Split the two hard games without the loss being a blowout, and we’re in. Anything else, we’re out.
If we go 11-1 we're in, regardless of what that one loss looks like or what the score is.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
concessions were that bad?
you were near this new and fancy restrooms. 😉

We got the runs!
Actually, I still have issues following my Clostridioides difficile (C. diff) infection last December.
I started dieting the Wednesday before the game to reduce any blow-outs on Saturday. Guess I'm the reason for a close, cliff-hanger of a game.

Saw a guy returning from the concession area with what appeared a "real hot dog, bun & ketchup." ... $6 I believe! It did make me hungry, since I ate very little the previous three days.

Last edited:

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Don’t really understand the second question…as to the first, style points will matter when it comes to games late in the season that are fresh in people’s minds, games against top teams (if you pour it on), losses (losing close is a lot better than getting blown out), etc. Would it have been great to win by 30 today? Sure. But winning by 7 doesn’t change anything for us come December.

We did what we had to do today, as ugly as it was from our perspective (can’t take away how well the BG offense played in the first half).
IaKov: "I can’t keep you all straight"........
I believe he means there are AC-DC forum board members to deal with!!

1725817235422.png

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Some of you guys would have never made it through the 86 season.

4th and 26 against Cincinnati , won 23-17

Win against Maryland 17-15

Mediocre teams give Penn State fits.
Every team for the most part gets a scare when they shouldn't. That Bama scoreline from this weekend isn't indicative of that game. It was 1 point game going into the 4th quarter and USF had all of the momentum in the second and third quarter it felt like. NIU over ND. LSU struggled with Nichols state. Oregon has struggled for 2 weeks to put teams away....they are a top 5 preseason team.

The thing we don't know right now is if this was a sleep walk due to a bigger W the week before or if this team is that mediocre. You have some folks that swear winning the games you should is just that easy so everyone does it.....but week 2 across the nations clearly shows that isn't the case. People should have an eyebrow raised but the same kerosene torch carriers will do it no matter what. Then again the same folks that whine the most only talk about 1-2 games a year as that is the only way they can frame anything that remotely looks like a sane argument against the state of this program currently.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

That is actually a really nice analogy. And for a Penn State senior hoping for a National Championship as a graduation present... it did create a great deal of angst and some questions over whether we were a National Championship caliber team.

But, some differences as well...
Penn State in Joe's prime was kinda known for winning ugly. In the undefeated 85 season, Temple, East Carolina and Rutgres were all one score wins, so in 86 we were sort of "used to it". In 86, we looked at the close games as finding ways to win. I think today people have come to look at CJFs close calls as harbingers of future losses.

Also, different era of CFB entirely. 24-14 was a pretty solid win back then.

Some of those 86 games specifically...
Maryland was actually a decent team. They started the 85 season concensus top 10, so I wouldn't compare them to a BG level team.
It's a looonnnggg time ago but I don't recall a 4th and 26 against Cincinnati. I recall a fairly critical 3rd and 9 or so conversion late in the game though.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

Thanks for the reminder, C-R-B, posted a good article about Okey State U concerned about playing the Bearcats

link: Pokes Fear Cincinnati After Penn State Win (oklahoman.com)

STILLWATER A fellow who saw Oklahoma State offensive line coach Tony Wise following Saturday's uncomfortably close 20-13 victory over North Texas State described him as depressed and concluded it was because Wise's linemen hadn't blocked too well.

It wasn't that, Tony said Monday. "They did a pretty good job," he said. "Hearing that Cincinnati beat Penn State was what got me down."

Cincinnati, of course, is O-State's Saturday night opponent in the Ohio city.

The thing to remember here, OSU fans, is that Cincinnati did not beat Penn State's 1982 national championship team. Cincinnati beat Penn State's 1983 team.

But Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson pointed out a couple of other things to remember: (1) The Penn State football program hasn't crumbled into coal dust in just eight months and (2) Cincinnati won at Penn State.

"From my (two) years at the University of Pittsburgh, I know about Penn State's tradition and program," Johnson said. "Very few teams have gone in and beaten Penn State on its home turf.

"And Penn State didn't all of a sudden go from a national champion to just a so-so team. Penn State still has great players. That was quite an accomplishment for Cincinnati. That tells me Cincinnati's got a good team."

A few minutes later, the weekly press buffet having been ravaged and left for dead, Johnson repeated the "Cincinnati's got a good team" message for media folk.

"Cincinnati completely dominated the game," he said. "They scored 14 points in the first half to win, 14-3. At halftime, Penn State only had two first downs. Cincinnati had 14. Penn State had five turnovers. Cincinnati had one."

Individually among the Bearcats offensively, Johnson cited tailback Bill Booze ("a very impressive player"), fullback Don Goodman ("played extremely well against Penn State running on draw plays") and quarterback Troy Bodine ("hit 25 of 36 passes with no interceptions").

Johnson said the Cincinnati defense was a physical, speedy, veteran group, adding, "One of the key players is defensive end George Jamison. He's a very physical player. Great pass rusher. He's really all over the field."

The Bearcats are "multiple" on both offense and defense. Johnson explained, "They play a multiple defensive scheme off of a 5-2. They flip flop their ends and linebackers and play a zone pass coverage.

"Offensively, they're multiple offense with almost every formation that's ever been designed at times not having any backs in the backfield (with the quarterback). The majority of the time they have one back in the backfield, throwing the ball on almost every down and occasionally running a draw play."

Johnson declared, "They will without question test our young secondary more than they've been tested and probably more than ever again this year."

Despite the close score, Johnson was generally satisfied with the Pokes' play Saturday. Typical was his comment about the offensive linemen: "We were pleased ................

link: Pokes Fear Cincinnati After Penn State Win (oklahoman.com)

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
That is actually a really nice analogy. And for a Penn State senior hoping for a National Championship as a graduation present... it did create a great deal of angst and some questions over whether we were a National Championship caliber team.

Penn State in Joe's prime was kinda known for winning ugly. In the undefeated 85 season, Temple, East Carolina and Rutgres were all one score wins, so in 86 we were sort of "used to it". In 86, we looked at the close games as finding ways to win. I think today people have come to look at CJFs close calls as harbingers of future losses.

Maryland was actually a decent team. They started the 85 season concensus top 10, so I wouldn't compare them to a BG level team.
It's a looonnnggg time ago but I don't recall a 4th and 26 against Cincinnati. I recall a fairly critical 3rd and 9 or so conversion late in the game though.
My mistake on the conversion down and distance 3rd and 10
Blair Thomas had a following 27 yard run
Attached video start at 6:45

Reactions: PSU87

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

There were a few games against Temple that were closer than the fan base liked.

Reactions: PSU87

Latest posts