Ol Miss Game Thread

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
With a new hire, there is a chance to improve. Keeping a loser has either no chance or less chance, imo.

By your reasoning, we should still have muschamp as a coach.
Well you don't know that to be true. If your thought process were true, a coach like Frank Beamer would have never become the HOF coach he became at VT because he would have been fired long before he started to improve!

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Well you don't know that to be true. If your thought process were true, a coach like Frank Beamer would have never become the HOF coach he became at VT because he would have been fired long before he started to improve!

Yes, Frank is an extreme outlier. Now let's list all the coaches that were fired after 4 years that didn't go on to win a title.

Think it will be a longer list?

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
Yes, Frank is an extreme outlier. Now let's list all the coaches that were fired after 4 years that didn't go on to win a title.

Think it will be a longer list?
Well duh... only one team can win a title each year. How many coaches get fired each year? If all these coaches are so bad and they are the problem, why do other teams hire them since they already failed at other schools? That just proves that smart people know it isn't all about the coach.

Reactions: Cybercock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Well duh... only one team can win a title each year. How many coaches get fired each year? If all these coaches are so bad and they are the problem, why do other teams hire them since they already failed at other schools? That just proves that smart people know it isn't all about the coach.

Never said it was ALL about the coach. But smart people know that the coach is VERY important.

Not all coaches are bad, but when they fail, they shouldn't be rewarded. And yes, I'm counting our hiring of Muschamp in this as a mistake.

And keeping Muschamp would have been a mistake if we did it "just to try something different".

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
Ok. I guess you’re a QB guru talking about a kid who's starting a grand total of his 4th game Geez - people like you is what gives gamecock fans a bad name
Does it really take a guru to see good quarterback play? Even his own coaches don't trust him throwing the ball...go ahead and make an excuse for that...but that is why I am sitting on a message board instead of the sidelines right? LMAO

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
He is a duel threat....our QB is a solo threat. The forward pass is not his thing!
Our QB has no depth perception. Either overthrowing or underthrowing when it needs to be caught. Maybe there's a one-eyed QB in the transfer portal who is better at connecting on short passes.

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
Never said it was ALL about the coach. But smart people know that the coach is VERY important.

Not all coaches are bad, but when they fail, they shouldn't be rewarded. And yes, I'm counting our hiring of Muschamp in this as a mistake.

And keeping Muschamp would have been a mistake if we did it "just to try something different".
So trying something different is bad but hiring and firing every 5 years is perfectly acceptable since it has worked so well in the past? Makes zero sense!

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
So trying something different is bad but hiring and firing every 5 years is perfectly acceptable since it has worked so well in the past? Makes zero sense!

Sticking with a known loser makes no sense either.

Again, using your logic, we should still have Muschamp, and be hoping that more time will make him a winner.

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
Sticking with a known loser makes no sense either.

Again, using your logic, we should still have Muschamp, and be hoping that more time will make him a winner.
You will never know if he could have gotten better because you fired him! You are creating a self fulfilling prophecy. I am sure fans were ready to run Frank Beamer out if town after 4 years.... they are probably glad they didn't though!

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
You will never know if he could have gotten better because you fired him! You are creating a self fulfilling prophecy. I am sure fans were ready to run Frank Beamer out if town after 4 years.... they are probably glad they didn't though!
You have to borrow money now to pay for more exclamation points.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

Again, frank is an outlier. Compare him against the countless coaches who were fired after 4 years, and deserved it. One list is much longer.

No one will ever be able to tell you that a hire is a certainty. If that is your threshold, you will never reach it.

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
Again, frank is an outlier. Compare him against the countless coaches who were fired after 4 years, and deserved it. One list is much longer.

No one will ever be able to tell you that a hire is a certainty. If that is your threshold, you will never reach it.
I agree with you but the opposite is also true. Hiring a new coach every 5 years at SC (spending millions) has been tried and also shown to not work.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I agree with you but the opposite is also true. Hiring a new coach every 5 years at SC (spending millions) has been tried and also shown to not work.

I guess I'm stuck thinking each new hire is a fresh chance to succeed. Where sticking with a struggling coach is less of a chance.

Oh well. There is no guarantee. It's all just opinion on what gives the best chances.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Comparing Frank Beamer to Shane Beamer is absurd. Frank was a PROVEN Head Coach, who produced nationally-ranked teams, prior to going to Virginia Tech. Frank was a man when he was at VT. Shane is a pipsqueak.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
We have not fired a coach in 5 years or less who was a proven Head Coach at the FBS level. That's not to say that hiring a proven winner at the FBS level is a guarantee of success. It does though increase your chances.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
We have not fired a coach in 5 years or less who was a proven Head Coach at the FBS level. That's not to say that hiring a proven winner at the FBS level is a guarantee of success. It does though increase your chances.

I found an article a year or two ago that had the average coaching tenure just shy of 5 years. If you took out the Iowa coach and saban ( I think it was) then the average closer to the low 4's.

Firing a coach after 4 years is just about average for college football.

Reactions: gamecock stock

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Not sure who beamer is going to be proud of but he's going to be proud of somebody.

Those teams are as dumb as ours when we hired muschamp.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
When you hire a coach who has never been a proven Head Coach at the FBS level, you give him a shorter leash than to someone with such proven experience. That's not only common sense, it's good business. I'm not saying fire Beamer tonight. Let's see what the rest of the season brings.

Anon1728194693

Oct 6, 2024
"It was my fault", "I have to just coach better", " Overall I think Sellers did a good job", "the defense played hard but we made some bad mistakes at critical times". Don't y'all get tired of hearing this same script every week from Beamer? Maybe Beamer was watching a different game than I was. The play calling is atrocious and lacks any imagination! Everybody in the stands and even the cheerleaders from the opposing team know exactly what plays we are going to dial up. 1st down run up the middle, 2nd down hand off off guard or tackle 3rd down try to throw a long pass resulting in an interception, incompletion, or sack. We have absolutely no short passing game to bail out with and Sellers is less than a mediocre passer, 52% says it all. Sellers does not compare to most SEC caliber OB's, on RPO he just looks at one receiver, he never looks anyone off, he makes poor decisions and wants to be a running back instead of a QB. If I were making 6 mil or more a year I would be swapping people in until I found someone to do the job, to heck with hurt feelings, how does Beamer think fans feel? Before today I actually had the false optimism that you get from being a Gamecock fan. I thought we might beat either OK or Missouri, Vandy , Wofford and who knows with Clemson. But you can scratch all those but Wofford now..... wait till next year.... again. 44 year fan

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login