OT: Anna Wolfe Going to Jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The downfall of Mississippi is infrastructure. I have discussed this before here and folks forget or ignore it. I have family in rural politics. When the big companies come in to an area they ask for submissions. First page lists criteria about 4 lane highways, railroads, airports, etc. Then they evaluate training potentials, ie jucos. Then it is a matter of land costs and tax breaks.

Mississippi has screwed over the rural areas with abandoned rail lines, 4 lanes that never get finished, and we only have a few heavy lift airports.

Grenada, Canton, Blue Springs, the new battery plant, Continental all have easy access to a 4 lane and railroad. And heavy lift airports aren't that far away.

If the rural area doesn't offer the mass transportation needs of the company they are out.
MS actually punches well above its weight when it comes to transportation - almost to the point that we have too much to maintain. You simply can’t build 4 lane roads to all the small towns - not even the county seats. That takes a lot of money. And airport wise, we are fine. May not have the airlines, but the infrastructure is absolutely there for air travel, even if it’s general aviation.

This is another reason that investing in a bunch of the small towns isn’t viable. And it’s not a matter of zigging when everyone is zagging. @Boom Boom example of Alabama football doesn’t apply, because it’s not MSU vs Alabama, it’s more like MC vs Alabama. You’ve got to at least get a minimal level of competency before we can grab a niche and compete. We are SO far behind, it’s hard to comprehend. We have to first concentrate on the low-hanging fruit, which is making a small portion of Jackson safe - which hopefully will happen with the CCID.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
MS actually punches well above its weight when it comes to transportation - almost to the point that we have too much to maintain. You simply can’t build 4 lane roads to all the small towns - not even the county seats. That takes a lot of money. And airport wise, we are fine. May not have the airlines, but the infrastructure is absolutely there for air travel, even if it’s general aviation.

This is another reason that investing in a bunch of the small towns isn’t viable. And it’s not a matter of zigging when everyone is zagging. @Boom Boom example of Alabama football doesn’t apply, because it’s not MSU vs Alabama, it’s more like MC vs Alabama. You’ve got to at least get a minimal level of competency before we can grab a niche and compete. We are SO far behind, it’s hard to comprehend. We have to first concentrate on the low-hanging fruit, which is making a small portion of Jackson safe - which hopefully will happen with the CCID.
This is it. Outside of something insane happening, you need Jackson for the state to be competitive long term, and having a viable Jackson starts with having a small area that’s very safe for young families. That’ll at least keep some people/money in the city. Not going to happen across from the medical mall, though

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
A lot of Mississippi small towns had one or two small factories manufacturing whatever back in the day. When all of those went to Mexico or overseas the towns started drying up. The only thing left in rural Mississippi is essentially ag workers and the businesses that support farming and that honestly doesn’t take a lot.
Depends what part of the State you are in. Manufacturing is coming in around Starkville. We now have two Billion Dollar plants and many more coming.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
Jackson residents never voted for the state to screw them over at every opportunity. City leaders have their share of the blame, but no one could have led Jackson to success with what they had to work with and what the state did to it.
You are not far off. Hinds County needs more jail space, more circuit court judges, and a better funded DA office. The State could help with all of that....

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Just seems about 20 years too late. At least. We're not pulling in more jobs to Jackson even if it's the safest metro in the world. Probably not even if the state legislature would approve Nissan-level incentives....which they never would, because too many state legislators hate Jackson. We all know why.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Depends what part of the State you are in. Manufacturing is coming in around Starkville. We now have two Billion Dollar plants and many more coming.
Golden Triangle isn’t exactly rural either, plus it’s got a major university. I swear some of you are intentionally missing the big picture in order to take up for your area. We all know the success that has been happening around there.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
More like turning it into Memphis or Birmingham, ie something not terrible. Something that will produce a metro where people will actually move from out of state, and businesses will willingly locate (not be coerced with incentives). That’s not impossible.

Do that, and then you can revitalize all the small towns you want (again, which we are already doing).

Lucedale pellet mill
Grenada MT
Winona lumber mill
Attala County power plant
Kemper plant

I could go on and on.

And the Toyota plant is essentially Tupelo, which is a strategic location, along with the Jackson Metro ones, and now Steel Dynamics in the GTR. Those are smart investments that move the needle.
What is Grenada MT?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
"Those" people, huh?

Maybe if Jackson had the state pulling for it instead of hamstringing it for decades....

But hey, what the city needs isn't to stop all that hamstringing, it's to put the people that have been working against it in charge!
The state will never pull for Jackson as long as it it evident what it is. "Those people" has no discriminatory identity racial overtones as much as you are straining to make it so.
It is what it is, and everyone knows that. In fact since that is what you are obviously doing YOU are a BIG part of the problem. Until Jackson totally rids itself of racial identity politics it will continue to die. That stands for ALL races, in all places. When race becomes THE determining factor in any Mississippi town/city/county/ region.....no matter the race....that town/city/county/region is totally screwed. Working together is the ONLY road forward. That's why I think we have a limited route forward in the Tupelo orbit. The Reed family has labored mightily, but the second generation is getting old. The rise of a private school, something we haven't ever had before here has not been a help. Racial politics becoming a factor ANYWHERE in Mississippi is a death blow.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Jackson residents never voted for the state to screw them over at every opportunity. City leaders have their share of the blame, but no one could have led Jackson to success with what they had to work with and what the state did to it.
No, they voted to screw themselves over at every single opportunity. Municipal problems are MUNICIPAL problems. Jackson created their own problems. They want to blame everyone but themselves:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What I would like to see is for Joe Max and the GTR folks join forces and unite with the CDF and the Tupelo regional people. Let Joe Max run it. If that happened quite frankly I could care less about the rest of the state. We would carry you all. Heck maybe we could secede and form our own state. The rest of the state knows nothing, and cares even less, about us up here in the Northeast. This board is the perfect example. If that happened MSU would absolutely explode.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The state will never pull for Jackson as long as it it evident what it is. "Those people" has no discriminatory identity racial overtones as much as you are straining to make it so.
It is what it is, and everyone knows that. In fact since that is what you are obviously doing YOU are a BIG part of the problem. Until Jackson totally rids itself of racial identity politics it will continue to die. That stands for ALL races, in all places. When race becomes THE determining factor in any Mississippi town/city/county/ region.....no matter the race....that town/city/county/region is totally screwed. Working together is the ONLY road forward. That's why I think we have a limited route forward in the Tupelo orbit. The Reed family has labored mightily, but the second generation is getting old. The rise of a private school, something we haven't ever had before here has not been a help. Racial politics becoming a factor ANYWHERE in Mississippi is a death blow.
Uh huh, race never played a part in it. Sure sure. Typical Boomer, can't accept the part he played and demands everyone else clean up his mess.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
No, they voted to screw themselves over at every single opportunity. Municipal problems are MUNICIPAL problems. Jackson created their own problems. They want to blame everyone but themselves:
EVERY single election they made the wrong choice? And you have nothing to say of the state legislature on the matter? Sounds reasonable.**

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

If you think Jackson can be saved, fixed, etc you're a damn fool. Jackson is so far gone the rapture can't save it.
We'd be more wise to move the capital and invest in another location.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What I would like to see is for Joe Max and the GTR folks join forces and unite with the CDF and the Tupelo regional people. Let Joe Max run it. If that happened quite frankly I could care less about the rest of the state. We would carry you all. Heck maybe we could secede and form our own state. The rest of the state knows nothing, and cares even less, about us up here in the Northeast. This board is the perfect example. If that happened MSU would absolutely explode.
Would be great, albeit ambitious. Tupelo and GT are still a solid hour apart. Typical MS, split the resources.

NW Arkansas is the comparison here, and all those towns are within 30 min of each other, north to south. If Bham/Tuscaloosa hasn’t grown together yet, Tupelo and West Point aren’t doing it anytime soon.

So, hate to correct you yet again, but y’all ain’t carrying nothing anytime soon.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If lack of finishing four lane highways negatively affects jobs there wouldn’t be a single person in Alabama employed. They were four laning 82 when I was a student at State in the 80’s, I hope they complete it before I die. Don’t get me started on Highway 45.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Most all journalists are Democrats…journalism is an easy major for those who don’t want to go into education, sociology or political science.
This is hardly true, but if it were, why wouldn't people on the right seek out the massive gaps in these fields and fill them?

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Golden Triangle isn’t exactly rural either, plus it’s got a major university. I swear some of you are intentionally missing the big picture in order to take up for your area. We all know the success that has been happening around there.
You are missing my point. I don’t live in the Golden Triangle, but I grew up there. At one point there was nothing but cotton fields and catfish farms. It now seems a new plant is being announced every day. Meridian also had a 100 million plus company relocate its head quarters to Meridian. Hattiesburg is growing with more jobs coming. I work throughout the State in the industrial market and good things are coming to those that plan. Yes it is hard in rural areas, but people are now willing to travel an hour plus for work. The future of the State is bright, but if areas are not willing to plan and finds ways to attract companies that is on them. Business are coming and if they miss out it is on them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is hardly true, but if it were, why wouldn't people on the right seek out the massive gaps in these fields and fill them?
The journalism study done by the University of Indiana found that about 51% of journalists polled identify as Independent. Of the remaining, the party affiliation is overwhelmingly Democrat. Easy to see the trend for Republican affiliation continues to shrink.

IMG_2561.jpeg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Would be great, albeit ambitious. Tupelo and GT are still a solid hour apart. Typical MS, split the resources.

NW Arkansas is the comparison here, and all those towns are within 30 min of each other, north to south. If Bham/Tuscaloosa hasn’t grown together yet, Tupelo and West Point aren’t doing it anytime soon.

So, hate to correct you yet again, but y’all ain’t carrying nothing anytime soon.
I'm not talking about them growing together physically. Just working together economically. They both draw from the same workforce in part.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
EVERY single election they made the wrong choice? And you have nothing to say of the state legislature on the matter? Sounds reasonable.**
Municipal problems are municipal problems. If it was the legislature's fault every town in Mississippi would be like Jackson. Jackson keeps voting the same people who keep doing the same things in. Until that changes nothing will ever change. Throwing money at Jackson right now wouldn't solve a thing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This thread is why MS will not grow, especially as compared to our peers. Many don’t even understand the basics, so we all will never agree on the plan forward. Too many looking out for themselves only, to tie it back to the original point. And when somebody, even an arrogant do-gooder like Wolfe tried to expose, you get hit hard, because even the do-gooders are out for themselves.

It’s hard to explain MS to outsiders. Not that I care what they think, but it just demonstrates the point.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The journalism study done by the University of Indiana found that about 51% of journalists polled identify as Independent. Of the remaining, the party affiliation is overwhelmingly Democrat. Easy to see the trend for Republican affiliation continues to shrink.

View attachment 605672
I was responding to the comment in whole- that journalism is 'most all' Democrats and that's its an easy major for those not wanting to go into some other majors that hyperconservative commentators frequently bemoan.

Your chart supports my post because it shows 'most all' aren't Democrats.

I will say that I agree there is an overall liberal lean in journalism, and I also think that the same investigative efforts should be directed at anything improper or illegal in Jackson city spending.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I was responding to the comment in whole- that journalism is 'most all' Democrats and that's its an easy major for those not wanting to go into some other majors that hyperconservative commentators frequently bemoan.

I will say that I agree there is an overall liberal lean in journalism, and I also think that the same investigative efforts should be directed at anything improper or illegal in Jackson city spending.
I would guess the majority of “independent” in that chart vote Democrat. Those declared have clearly shifted Denocrat

Reactions: WilCoDawg

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Those 4 lanes in alabama are mis appropriated funds.

Time for a history lesson.
1969. Camille caused huge damage and loss of life, roads were **** going north from the coast. Senators from MS, Alabama, Florida, and Louisiana banded together and we're spear headed by John C. Tennis to enact a plan to end the issue of evacuation from the coast.

1978. The federal government funded the plan. 45, 98, 49, parts of 15 and 25 were all in the plans for Mississippi. 45 and 98 were included in Alabama. 82 was never in this.

Projects were started in 79, some are still not finished today. All of this is accessible in MSU's library in the Stennis files.

Fixing it now is almost impossible, but money was allocated to have 5 corridors to central Mississippi, and 3 that would go up to Tennessee.

Factories and companies were told about this and stayed in towns till the state proved they had no intentions of finishing all of this.

The Golden Triangle, Tupelo, Jackson, and Hattiesburg benefitted. The I 55 corridor benefits. The Delta and the 15 corridor suffer.

The 15 corridor has lost over 100k jobs since 1990.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
This thread is why MS will not grow, especially as compared to our peers. Many don’t even understand the basics, so we all will never agree on the plan forward. Too many looking out for themselves only, to tie it back to the original point. And when somebody, even an arrogant do-gooder like Wolfe tried to expose, you get hit hard, because even the do-gooders are out for themselves.

It’s hard to explain MS to outsiders. Not that I care what they think, but it just demonstrates the point.
This is part of why I haven’t wanted to move back. Won’t move to Jackson because of safety. Don’t want to move back to the state because I don’t like the state-level politics (though I lean right) and don’t have a lot of faith in people thinking strategically to advance the state because everyone gets so wrapped up in their dumb, local self interest. If Jackson had a safe pocket where people could move to, I honestly think it could shift state politics out of the inbred system that exists now

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
This is part of why I haven’t wanted to move back. Won’t move to Jackson because of safety. Don’t want to move back to the state because I don’t like the state-level politics (though I lean right) and don’t have a lot of faith in people thinking strategically to advance the state because everyone gets so wrapped up in their dumb, local self interest. If Jackson had a safe pocket where people could move to, I honestly think it could shift state politics out of the inbred system that exists now
I mean, the fact that I *knew* Tate Reeves would be governor since like 2005 and Shad White would follow since 2009 or so is kind of 17ed.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016

My opinion is that a lot of journalists that would describe themselves as moderates/independents are in reality liberals.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I didn’t say anything about your post being wrong Captain Keyboard. Just showing some data to the statement about political affiliations in journalism.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Uh huh, race never played a part in it. Sure sure. Typical Boomer, can't accept the part he played and demands everyone else clean up his mess.
Uh huh, typical dumb response blaming other people, can’t accept responsibility for anything. It’s always someone else’s fault.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I didn’t say anything about your post being wrong Captain Keyboard. Just showing some data to the statement about political affiliations in journalism.
Understood.
I used your response as a way to better clarify my initial comment and to add the fact that I think investigative journalism should investigate government regardless of political affiliation.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Municipal problems are municipal problems.
If only. Funding matters.
If it was the legislature's fault every town in Mississippi would be like Jackson.
the legislature doesnt have the antipathy for other places as they do Jackson. Please try to keep up.
Jackson keeps voting the same people who keep doing the same things in.
I've seen them vote in many types of Mayor.

we can say the same of the legislature, that you STILL dont have a single word of blame to give on this.
Until that changes nothing will ever change. Throwing money at Jackson right now wouldn't solve a thing.
It wouldn't magically transform it, but it certainly would improve things. Funding matters.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I found this piece interesting a few months back. It was very obvious NPR had changed significantly in my adult lifetime. This is an inside perspective from a long time employee (who wasn't one for long after this)...

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If only. Funding matters.

the legislature doesnt have the antipathy for other places as they do Jackson. Please try to keep up.

I've seen them vote in many types of Mayor.

we can say the same of the legislature, that you STILL dont have a single word of blame to give on this.

It wouldn't magically transform it, but it certainly would improve things. Funding matters.
You are wrong on every single point. Municipalities in large part fund themselves. Well run ones make good use of what outside sources they do have. Jackson doesn't fund itself well and botched all the outside stuff. It's been that way since at least when I lived down there in the late 80s. It's a lost cause until there is a total replacement of the political class there. That will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login