OT: Best Cult Films.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Despite both of these films making money at the box office, they didn’t find their audience until home video.

Fight Club had a $60mm budget but was considered a flop as it only made $100mm at the box office, especially with Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, and David Fincher at peak power. It suffered from a similar plot twist to Sixth Sense which was also released earlier that summer, but few folks knew the Fight Club novel was written years earlier.

Office Space had a remarkable $10mm budget and made $12mm at the box office, but expectations were fairly low for the first feature from Beavis and Butthead creator Mike Judge. Can’t overstate how important and lasting both of these films have been to popular culture.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Rocky Horror
Barton Fink
Heathers
Buckaroo Banzai
Barton Fink sucked. It's dense and boring. The only reason people won't say so is because the Coen brothers made it (in the interest of full disclosure, I generally like the Coen brothers work).

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The primary reason Lebowski is a cult film is that it takes three viewings to figure out what's going on. I'd watch it three times just for John Goodman's performance.

Goodman is throwing heaters every time he’s on screen. Philip Seymour Hoffman too, but much less screen time…

Reactions: ODShowtime

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Barton Fink sucked. It's dense and boring. The only reason people won't say so is because the Coen brothers made it (in the interest of full disclosure, I generally like the Coen brothers work).
Didn't ask whether you liked it and it had nothing to do with the Coen Brothers.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Didn't ask whether you liked it and it had nothing to do with the Coen Brothers.
The movie sucks whether you asked or not. If Michael Cimino had done it, everyone would agree with me. And, FWIW, Heaven's Gate is a better movie than Barton Fink.

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I didn't say whether it was a cult movie or not. It sucks in either case.
Ummm that kind of was the topic of the thread, its kind of in the title...You know "Best Cult" Film.
Stop while you are only half buried.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Ummm that kind of was the topic of the thread, its kind of in the title...You know "Best Cult" Film.
Stop while you are only half buried.
Okay, it's not a cult film because no one watches it because it sucks. Happy now?

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Go.

Go is a film I really enjoyed, probably 25 years ago or so. It seems none of my circle of friends or others who I would mention it to had ever seen it or heard of it. A number of now well-known actors were in it, some getting their starts in the film.
The essence of the movie is telling the same story from 4 different perspectives... a group of young people in LA heading to a rave in Vegas. (I think I remember that correctly!) Anyway, I thought it was a fun and interesting watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Go.

Go is a film I really enjoyed, probably 25 years ago or so. It seems none of my circle of friends or others who I would mention it to had ever seen it or heard of it. A number of now well-known actors were in it, some getting their starts in the film.
The essence of the movie is telling the same story from 4 different perspectives... a group of young people in LA heading to a rage in Vegas. (I think I remember that correctly!) Anyway, I thought it was a fun and interesting watch.

Great soundtrack and very early Timothy Olyphant - love that movie.

Reactions: JohnJumba and Bob78

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I like "Kids" and the "Warriors"

Kids is brutal.

Harmony Korine's follow up, 'Gummo', is worse.

Doom Generation is one; Rose McGowan's breakthrough role and way more high profile actors than there should be in this kind of film (Parker Posey, Jonathan Schaech, some others). But really, it's McGowan who announced her arrival as Hollywood's alt-It Girl in a see through rain coat...

Reactions: JohnJumba

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The most depraved 'cult'-ish film I've ever seen and again, way too many ridiculously good actors to be in a movie about the stuff this movie is about (Philip Seymour Hoffman, Dylan Baker, Molly Shannon, Jane Adams, Lara Flynn Boyle, etc.), is Tod Solodnz's 'Happiness'. Do not watch this movie (except for the opening scene). Jon Lovitz steals the show. Incredible opening scene...I would have given him the Oscar for this.

Reactions: Tgar and JohnJumba

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
On Starz now: Pray For Death.

Sho Kosugi as a ninja. Hokey, but entertaining.

Peggy Abernathy sings "Back to the Shadows"