OT: Herr’s Flavored by Philly Contest

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
Herr’s annual Flavored by Philly chips contest is up now for voting and chips are selling at Wawa and other locations. Vote for your favorite and vote daily, but I feel the Stromboli flavor will be superior (since I nominated it!) Right @Tom McAndrew? 😉

https://campaign.rtm.com/flavoredbyphilly/vote

Wonder how much of a taste difference the stromboli and the cheese ravioli will have. Both will probably be strong with the tomato flavoring like their ketchup chips because cheese is a hard flavor to put into potato chips within balance of other flavors. Personally, those pierogi chips look good, probably with a strong fried onion flavor to them.

Reactions: PSU87

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I get a kick out of the wacky chip flavors. They don’t always work, but sometimes they get it right. In the late 90s, Snyder’s of Hanover made a summer flavor called Coney Island that tasted exactly like a hotdog with mustard. It was so spot on it was scary. Some serious voodoo chemistry going on. Asian markets usually have some crazy flavored chips and corn puffs.

Reactions: PSU87

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Wonder how much of a taste difference the stromboli and the cheese ravioli will have. Both will probably be strong with the tomato flavoring like their ketchup chips because cheese is a hard flavor to put into potato chips within balance of other flavors. Personally, those pierogi chips look good, probably with a strong fried onion flavor to them.
I'm with you. I gotta try the pierogi ones...

Reactions: Nittany1865Farmer

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
And the Stromboli ones and the ravioli ones. Pierogies potato chips are kind of redundant anyway. Potato pierogies; potato chips!
Yeah, but pierogies....I gotta either make them, or find a place that makes decent ones, which is becoming rarer and rarer these days.

Chips....open bag, eat chips!

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
If Herr's chips sell like hotcakes, should they make hotcake flavored chips?

🤔

Reactions: PSU12046

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I get a kick out of the wacky chip flavors. They don’t always work, but sometimes they get it right. In the late 90s, Snyder’s of Hanover made a summer flavor called Coney Island that tasted exactly like a hotdog with mustard. It was so spot on it was scary. Some serious voodoo chemistry going on. Asian markets usually have some crazy flavored chips and corn puffs.

• Wow
Reactions: rudedude

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Gotta vote for the pierogi variety. it's inspired by Mom Mom's and we wouldn't want to piss the rick rick off.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Gotta vote for the pierogi variety. it's inspired by Mom Mom's and we wouldn't want to piss the rick rick off.
Hey man I nominated the Stromboli one, I have a stake here! 😁(vote for whoever you want).

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
The local WallyWorlds have been carrying Zapp’s Voodoo chips. They’re sort of a mix of salt & vinegar and bbq. Zapp’s is owned by Utz now so they’re easier to get.
Did not know Zapp's was now owned by Utz. I've got a friend in Nawlins that is probably rolling around in his grave and he ain't even dead yet.
He used to sing the praises of Zapp’s when they were impossible to find outside of the South.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

Boilo flavored chips. It's inevitable.

Other options

"Soft pretzel by the roadside covered with exhaust fumes" flavored chips.

"Septa Subway station after a heavy rain and leaky roof" flavored chips.

"Black Cherry Wishniak" flavored chips.

"Schaefer Light" flavored chips.

Last edited:

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Got samples in: pierogies chip kind of bland, ravioli is good but heavy tomato flavor, Stromboli has subtle salami and Italian pepper flavor and should be the top vote getter , IMHO! 😁

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Got samples in: pierogies chip kind of bland, ravioli is good but heavy tomato flavor, Stromboli has subtle salami and Italian pepper flavor and should be the top vote getter , IMHO! 😁
I demand a recount

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Herr’s annual Flavored by Philly chips contest is up now for voting and chips are selling at Wawa and other locations. Vote for your favorite and vote daily, but I feel the Stromboli flavor will be superior (since I nominated it!) Right @Tom McAndrew? 😉

https://campaign.rtm.com/flavoredbyphilly/vote
I have always hated Herr's chips. They seemed like a choice I made only when nothing else was available. Overprocessed and lacking natural flavor. My many visits to the Philly area always left me feeling sorry for the people there who never knew any better.

My enforced diet has long had me avoiding what was once my snack of choice. Utz, Goods, Middlesworths were my favorites. Back in my youth the can of Charles Chips rarely made it beyond the delivery date.

People who need flavored chips are no better than the restaurant patrons who smother their prime rib in sauce.

My quadruple bypass surgeries (yes multiple), and all the negative complications I suffered as an outcome, was the result of my love for chips and fried foods. Was it worth it? Damn right it was worth it,

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I have always hated Herr's chips. They seemed like a choice I made only when nothing else was available. Overprocessed and lacking natural flavor. My many visits to the Philly area always left me feeling sorry for the people there who never knew any better.

My enforced diet has long had me avoiding what was once my snack of choice. Utz, Goods, Middlesworths were my favorites. Back in my youth the can of Charles Chips rarely made it beyond the delivery date.

People who need flavored chips are no better than the restaurant patrons who smother their prime rib in sauce.

My quadruple bypass surgeries (yes multiple), and all the negative complications I suffered as an outcome, was the result of my love for chips and fried foods. Was it worth it? Damn right it was worth it,
So can I count on your vote? 😂😂😂😂

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
So can I count on your vote? 😂😂😂😂
For what is worth I knew the President of the construction company that Herr's used to build and expand their Chester County facilities. He praised them for their attention to quality. So there is that. Their product is tasteless, except for too much salt, but at least they make it well.

Last edited:

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Does anyone remember and long for the days that the bag of chips would come with many dark overcooked chips? I always ate those first. I was made to understand that dark chips became rare as a result of the manufacturers exercising more quality control in their production.

I see that some companies have introduced dark chips as a new variety.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
I appreciate the Philly area chip producers. But they're all still playing for 2nd place in PA.

When I was younger, I used to live off of the BBQ chips as the only chips to eat. Got away from them when I moved out of state. Now coming back to them, I find the BBQ flavor to be very intense and bitter. Did they change the formulation over the years, or did I develop old man taste buds that have become sensitive to spices? They do taste differently than what I remember.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
When I was younger, I used to live off of the BBQ chips as the only chips to eat. Got away from them when I moved out of state. Now coming back to them, I find the BBQ flavor to be very intense and bitter. Did they change the formulation over the years, or did I develop old man taste buds that have become sensitive to spices? They do taste differently than what I remember.
I would grind them up and smoke them like I was freebasing crack. Before freebasing crack was even a thing.

Reactions: BobPSU92

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I only get to enjoy them a few times a year, but they taste the same to me. Sour Cream and Onion were always my favorite growing up. Maybe as Wawa moves north and west in PA, they'll realize the error of their ways and start selling Middleswarth in ALL their stores (including FL).

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
plain: Hartley’s or Gibble’s. Gibble’s still cooks theirs in lard

bbq: Middleswarth

other acceptable chips

Gibble’s Red Hot
Herr’s Old Bay
Utz Kettle Style
Zapp’s (Utz) Voodoo

Reactions: VicVaselino

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
plain: Hartley’s or Gibble’s. Gibble’s still cooks theirs in lard

bbq: Middleswarth

other acceptable chips

Gibble’s Red Hot
Herr’s Old Bay
Utz Kettle Style
Zapp’s (Utz) Voodoo
I think Middleswarth still fry in tallow. I have always considered Gibble's and Middleswarth's "original" to be very similar. Actually favor Middleswarth there. Taste more buttery. Maybe different potatoes?

No kettle chips for me. If I'm going to break a tooth, it'll be on something better than a potato chip.

Latest posts