OT: HOA issues in Florida.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
One thing I’ll never voluntarily deal with. My in laws are in such a community in Illinois. My MIL just got put into home hospice. My wife cannot even drive and park in their driveway to visit her mother overnight in her last days because it’s against the rules (one garage slot is currently allocated to a wheelchair ramp). My in laws even needed to park their 2nd car three miles away at my sister in law’s home for the same reason. No thanks.

Oh, and the whole “every home needs to look identical” thing would be my worst nightmare.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Like all things in life there’s a balance to reach. HOAs would be fine if they stick to general rules- general upkeep of property, no RVs in the front yard type stuff. When they start to go down the rabbit hole of selecting paint colors, types of decorative hinges or plants allowed, etc they’ve lost the plot.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
This article is Florida-specific but I’m sure rings true in many other locales.

Interesting article from 6 years ago in the PB Post on my development's beginning (mid-80's). They were setting up rules before they even bought.

PB Post Article

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Hooray for Florida. Yet another great reason to move there. I lived in a development with an HOA for 2 years here in MD. Got fined for not having the right color stain on the fence covering up my garbage cans. It was mahogany, not 'burnt' mahogany. You absolutely can not tell the difference except for seeing the can it came from.

Previously, I was putting new brake pads on my car one day and the Karen in charge wrote me up for it, saying no working on cars in the community. I caught her husband changing their oil so I videoed them and took it to the next meeting and asked what the difference was. They had to rescind my fine or give her one. She actually took the fine to prove she was 'right' and then came to inspect my house almost daily. She finally got me with the stain thing but I already had the house sold without putting it on the market to get the eff out of there.

Never buying with an HOA again....

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Hooray for Florida. Yet another great reason to move there. I lived in a development with an HOA for 2 years here in MD. Got fined for not having the right color stain on the fence covering up my garbage cans. It was mahogany, not 'burnt' mahogany. You absolutely can not tell the difference except for seeing the can it came from.

Previously, I was putting new brake pads on my car one day and the Karen in charge wrote me up for it, saying no working on cars in the community. I caught her husband changing their oil so I videoed them and took it to the next meeting and asked what the difference was. They had to rescind my fine or give her one. She actually took the fine to prove she was 'right' and then came to inspect my house almost daily. She finally got me with the stain thing but I already had the house sold without putting it on the market to get the eff out of there.

That is effed up. I would lose my shiite on people if they did that stuff to me. Also, the reason I avoided HOAs to this point in my life

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
One thing I’ll never voluntarily deal with. My in laws are in such a community in Illinois. My MIL just got put into home hospice. My wife cannot even drive and park in their driveway to visit her mother overnight in her last days because it’s against the rules (one garage slot is currently allocated to a wheelchair ramp). My in laws even needed to park their 2nd car three miles away at my sister in law’s home for the same reason. No thanks.

Oh, and the whole “every home needs to look identical” thing would be my worst nightmare.
I wish my HOA enforced their rules like that. I complained about people parking on the street overnight and was told that it's difficult for them to enforce that rule.

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
I love that I live in a neighborhood with an HOA, and I don't have a problem with them other than I wish they enforced all of the rules more strictly. They make sure that people keep their homes looking good and their yards kept up. There is a rule about multiple families living in the same house that I wish they would enforce more strictly.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
You either get fined for having grass a 1/2 centimeter too long or it goes the other way and your neighbor turns their house into an apartment complex and everyone has 3 boats in their yard.

People just love to IMPOSE themselves on others.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

There might be more Karens per capita in Florida than anywhere else- I can't think of a single reason to visit, let alone live there.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
There might be more Karens per capita in Florida than anywhere else- I can't think of a single reason to visit, let alone live there.
Florida - America's dangling participle.

- Dangling participle (def) A modifier that does not modify anything

Last edited:
Reactions: PSJimbo

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
My guess would be the jersey has the most Karen’s but either way there are too many of them everywhere. I’d live in Florida over Jersey any day of the week outside of the whole hurricane thing.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
My guess would be the jersey has the most Karen’s but either way there are too many of them everywhere. I’d live in Florida over Jersey any day of the week outside of the whole hurricane thing.
That was an extraordinarily odd statement. No real basis to bring in another location in the US yet you use it as a basis for an argument that no one was having

You are definitely Florida material. Enjoy the alligators.

Last edited:

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
That was an extraordinarily odd statement. No real basis to bring in another location in the US yet you use it as a basis for an argument that no one was having

You really are definitely Florida material. Enjoy the alligators.
Well I did live in Jersey so….

slwlion01

Jul 24, 2023
This article is Florida-specific but I’m sure rings true in many other locales.

We live in Tavares Fl., HOA is comprised of neighbors. We own our land. No rent. Pay property taxes like all. I feel badly for those that don't own.

Reactions: LionJim and Bison13

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
So, you have a pay a cover charge to live in your own house?
We pay something like $115 a month, but that includes a gym/swim club membership that would cost $95 each month. The rest goes to the HOA. It's well worth it. When we had a condo at the beach the HOA was over $600 a month, and for that we got 2 parking spots,

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Years ago I lived in two different HOA communities in Florida. I don’t want to equate that time to NAZI Germany, but close enough for Government work. The only advice I can render is that a few months before you’re going to move (and you should) break every rule you can. Drive the Karen’s crazy. Those were some of the happiest moments of my life. And I’m really not a vindictive person.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Amen.....and there are far too many Karen's in HOA communities. You honestly have people walking around looking for infractions and turning people in for basically nothing. HOA's aren't a bad thing, it's people that ruin them as with most things. They get a little power and turn into little monsters.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Years ago I lived in two different HOA communities in Florida. I don’t want to equate that time to NAZI Germany, but close enough for Government work. The only advice I can render is that a few months before you’re going to move (and you should) break every rule you can. Drive the Karen’s crazy. Those were some of the happiest moments of my life. And I’m really not a vindictive person.

From my understanding once you break a rule they can fine you and if you don't pay it they can put a lien against your property. Wouldn't that be an issue when selling if there is a lien against the property? Or are you talking about between when it goes under contract (60 day close) until it actually closes? I don't know if having a lien put against your property would affect closing on a house under contract or not. Maybe a realtor here on the board could enlighten us. Or maybe it's that it takes longer than that to put a lien against a property than I think so it wouldn't affect you?

I have heard of instance where new property owners are sued by the HOA for infractions by the previous owners that were not settled before they sold as well. I wonder if it becomes an issue for the new owners.

• Angry
Reactions: LionJim

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
From my understanding once you break a rule they can fine you and if you don't pay it they can put a lien against your property. Wouldn't that be an issue when selling if there is a lien against the property? Or are you talking about between when it goes under contract (60 day close) until it actually closes? I don't know if having a lien put against your property would affect closing on a house under contract or not. Maybe a realtor here on the board could enlighten us. Or maybe it's that it takes longer than that to put a lien against a property than I think so it wouldn't affect you?

I have heard of instance where new property owners are sued by the HOA for infractions by the previous owners that were not settled before they sold as well. I wonder if it becomes an issue for the new owners.
From my knowledge and experience with a condo association any fines levied by the association are taken out at closing, that also includes the monthly fees if they were behind.
And, at least with my old association, the fines did not trickle down to the new owners.
I would think that would all have come out in presale.🤷‍♂️

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Well I did live in Jersey so….
I"m with you. I grew up in NJ, lived out west, deep south, and Fla....you couldn't pay me enough money to return to the northeast. Karen's suck and aren't limited to FL....but big time DB's exist everywhere up north. I'm up visiting for a family function in the northeast....great weather wise this week, but the overwhelming selfish folks on the road and in stores....never mind the total lack of manners is through the roof. Hey I just turned around and hit another toll/tax. You want to go the beach....better pay up even if you live there. Folks in the northeast that crap on other places tend to be stuck there or really haven't lived outside of that bubble.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Wild reading through all this. Lived in both PA and FL. Both have good and bad. I take FL over PA at this point in my life. We love our little beach town here in Delray Beach. Yes its been discovered and now being invaded by PA/NJ/NY/MA/IL/OH residents. Many are now calling it the winter Hamptons. Not going to complain as it has tripled our home value in 5 years. Stunned what a neighbor just sold his home for in our development. HOA is great not militant at all. They really don't bother anyone and everyone takes turns being on the board. Yeesh there are some angry people on this board.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
From my knowledge and experience with a condo association any fines levied by the association are taken out at closing, that also includes the monthly fees if they were behind.
And, at least with my old association, the fines did not trickle down to the new owners.
I would think that would all have come out in presale.🤷‍♂️

That makes sense. I guess if you're on your way out and you don't mind paying hundreds if not maybe thousands of dollars in fines on the way out the door at closing it would be a nice way to stick it to the HOA but if that's the case I would pass and just keep my money.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021

All that’s probably true. But in my case I became such a pain in the *** with (in their mind) my obvious psychotic tendencies that they were relieved when I left. Here’s some helpful tips.

2. Put your garbage cans out three days early.
2. Paint your fence non HOA approved colors. They really hate that.
3. Sunbath in your front yard, and leave the chaise lawn chair and cooler there. You would think that the three above would annoy other residents. But my neighbors knew what I was doing and they thought it was hilarious.
4. A good one, take several pictures of the HOA members homes, and report their violations at the next meeting. Trust me, they always have them.
5. Better yet, take the violations to the local zoning authority and as a home owner demand action.
6. Oh I almost forgot. Whenever the HOA members are doing an inspection, always have your lawn mower disassembled in your driveway. And stand there with a totally confused look on your face. Then just go inside.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
HOA's are all different, yet the same at the core. My dues are a lot for the value of the property - largely due to insuring the buildings and the landscaping. Others are small - for good reason - just minimal rules/regulations w/ little services.

They bother me occasionally (the management company). Flat tire on the Scrambler. Patio pool table light a no no. Busted up fence from my old pine tree. We do get along and laugh about stuff though.

It is what it is. Whether you pay the freight or don't, it will all usually even out in the end anyway. If an HOA comes between you and living where you really want to live, it would have to be a really bad HOA imo.

Reactions: Bwifan

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Would live in Florida in a second if it's Fisher Island or a private community in Islamorada. Weather is just amazing.

We went from a 650 home new development HOA in VA to a 13 home one with about 15 acres of 'community' property. We paid about $95 a month in the new development (maintained common areas, pool, tennis courts, playgrounds, trash) to $300 a year (maintenance of common areas). New development wasn't overly strict it seemed - unless it came to Christmas lights or roof shingle colors. We didn't have any issues, but were annoyed when our neighbors retro-fitted their basement into another dwelling for their siblings to live in. The doors to the walk-out basement functioned as a separate entrance. New community is wonderful - big issue is short term rentals; we live close to two parks (Riverbend and Great Falls National) and the location is ideal for a short trip for those wanting a bucolic setting with access to the parks while being only 35 minutes from DC. One neighbor just did a tear-down and rebuild (with a pool) and protested when we suggested limiting rentals to 30 days or more. Tabled it for now but we'll see how it goes...

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Would live in Florida in a second if it's Fisher Island or a private community in Islamorada. Weather is just amazing.
Fisher Island is sort of a ferry nightmare. And the ferry takes you to traffic. Jup Island or even Sailfish Point in Stuart>Anywhere in Miami. Just sayin'.

Islamorada - different story. Like living in Bimini almost.

Last edited:

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
HOA's are all different, yet the same at the core. My dues are a lot for the value of the property - largely due to insuring the buildings and the landscaping. Others are small - for good reason - just minimal rules/regulations w/ little services.

They bother me occasionally (the management company). Flat tire on the Scrambler. Patio pool table light a no no. Busted up fence from my old pine tree. We do get along and laugh about stuff though.

It is what it is. Whether you pay the freight or don't, it will all usually even out in the end anyway. If an HOA comes between you and living where you really want to live, it would have to be a really bad HOA imo.

The problem is that any any given moment you are only ever one lunatic away from having a horrible HOA if that lunatic becomes HOA president.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
The problem is that any any given moment you are only ever one lunatic away from having a horrible HOA if that lunatic becomes HOA president.

By the same token, w/out an HOA you are one maniac away from hell if that maniac moves in next to you.

I don't even want to get started with my neighbors here but let's say they've changed the entire character of the street all by themselves and it's sad and disgusting.

That said I still don't want an HOA.

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
By the same token, w/out an HOA you are one maniac away from hell if that maniac moves in next to you.

I don't even want to get started with my neighbors here but let's say they've changed the entire character of the street all by themselves and it's sad and disgusting.

That said I still don't want an HOA.

Several years ago, I was stuck between 2 neighbors from hell. They refused to trim their 40 year old tree whose branches and leaves always drifted into my yard. Their grass grew nearly 8 inches high before they thought it was a good idea to cut it. One of the neighbors decided to use his driveway as an auto repair shop. I eventually sold the house and never looked back. The vast majority of my neighbors were respectful and tidy. Not having an HOA to enforce common decency was a deal breaker for me.

My vote is for an HOA. It helps to clamp down on the undesirables.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Several years ago, I was stuck between 2 neighbors from hell. They refused to trim their 40 year old tree whose branches and leaves always drifted into my yard. Their grass grew nearly 8 inches high before they thought it was a good idea to cut it. One of the neighbors decided to use his driveway as an auto repair shop. I eventually sold the house and never looked back. The vast majority of my neighbors were respectful and tidy. Not having an HOA to enforce common decency was a deal breaker for me.

My vote is for an HOA. It helps to clamp down on the undesirables.

Anarchy and totalitarianism are both different kinds of hell.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Fisher Island is sort of a ferry nightmare. And the ferry takes you to traffic. Jup Island or even Sailfish Point in Stuart>Anywhere in Miami. Just sayin'.

Islamorada - different story. Like living in Bimini almost.

I love all the Keys... Islamorada is excellent. Pierre's at Morada Bay is a fav of mine. Best sunsets anywhere. Good friend just proposed to his fiancee there a couple of weeks ago at sunset. They Keys are just such a different vibe and beautiful place. Going there depending on weather this weekend or next week with my oldest daughter and hit Robbie's feed the tarpon then boat out to Alligator Reef and the lighthouse for some amazing snorkeling.