OT: Longtimefan Strike

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Since I didn't get in the other one, the demands the longshoremen are making are totally insane. Our fans need to chill. This is maybe the worst rebuild we have ever had to do.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I wanted to have a word with the UPS employee in the other thread who "doesn't remember" what snagged up supplies in 2020 and 2021...

• Haha
Reactions: johnson86-1

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I totally get asking for better pay but what they are asking for is off the charts crazy.
Exactly, but that's not all. The no automation demand is just unworkable. You have ports all over the world doing that. We can't be left in the stone age like they are demanding.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I totally get asking for better pay but what they are asking for is off the charts crazy.
Yeah, asking for better pay and asking to protect jobs from automation are totally understandable from an employee's perspective.
...the details though?...those are pretty dang high.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Just want to let you all know I absolutely will not be attending a game at DWS this week.

And wanted to post this right 17in now like a petty bizznatch so everyone can agree that this thread is in fact on the front page
^ appreciate the effort to make the references and tie to MSU. Strong work.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Not sure the difference between longshoremen and stevedoors, but I can tell you that the little interaction I have had with stevedoors has landed them in the category of laziest pieces of shìt I have ever dealt with. I hope they all lose everything and are forced to go get a real job.

In general, if you are in a union of any kind, you are promoting laziness. Low achievers thrive in unions where seniority rules the day and work ethic and ability are inconsequential.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly, but that's not all. The no automation demand is just unworkable. You have ports all over the world doing that. We can't be left in the stone age like they are demanding.
Sounds like we're going to be speeding up the automation

And by we, I mean all of us, with the price hikes

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
This is port strike locations, and I'm not sure we have a major port, as

Apparently Mississippi isn’t included or maybe they aren’t unionized?

View attachment 661929
The workers at the port of Gulfport are definitely union and were supposed to be included. The local (ILA) was meeting on Saturday to decide whether they would defy the national unions strike and if so what were the consequences. They either decided to defy the strike order or they have some members that chose to work. I know that the fruit companies order labor from the 3rd party (Ports of America) which is union daily and they have labor working this morning.

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Yeah, asking for better pay and asking to protect jobs from automation are totally understandable from an employee's perspective.
Feels like this particular union has too much influence over too large of a component of the supply chain and does more harm than good. Their competition is different modes of transportation or geographic locations cost prohibitive distances away.

I'm willing to listen to a good case as to how they are being taken advantage of, but I'm leaning hard into them coming out on the losing end of this. Asking for zero automation is a non-starter for me. That's just stupid. I'd also tell them not to expect much in the way of public sympathy given the timing during an east coast state of emergency and rebuild process.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
The world is about to be 17ed.. maybe not as bad as Covid but dammit.

I’m waiting on 2 containers from India that are supposed to hit the dock tomorrow. They are already 9 days late because the ship went around Africa instead of through the Suez because of the Houthis.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Feels like this particular union has too much influence over too large of a component of the supply chain and does more harm than good. Their competition is different modes of transportation or geographic locations cost prohibitive distances away.

I'm willing to listen to a good case as to how they are being taken advantage of, but I'm leaning hard into them coming out on the losing end of this. Asking for zero automation is a non-starter for me. That's just stupid. I'd also tell them not to expect much in the way of public sympathy given the timing during an east coast state of emergency and rebuild process.
I feel like with their demands they know they have a lot of the country by the balls if they go on strike. Sounds like a good recipe for being hated by just about everyone. Be careful what you wish for.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
According to the news Gulfport and Pascagoula are definitely include in the strike. Gulfport officials are hoping negotiations finalize before midnight or they will be shut down. Pascagoula said they are about 50% union and 50% non union. They said the non union workers will keep the port open and it will be business as usual.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Wanting to ask to protect jobs from automation is an understandable impulse, but actually asking for it just shows a union that is off its rocker. The way for the union to handle automation is to have members pay into a fund to give some transition pay to people automated out (or I guess more realistically, have the employers pay into it so they can pretend it's not coming at the expense of lower take home pay for the members).

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The world is about to be 17ed.. maybe not as bad as Covid but dammit.

I’m waiting on 2 containers from India that are supposed to hit the dock tomorrow. They are already 9 days late because the ship went around Africa instead of through the Suez because of the Houthis.
I didn't realize the Suez was not viable. Perhaps the Houthis should do some research on what happened last time the Suez was impacted by geopolitical ambition...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Wanting to ask to protect jobs from automation is an understandable impulse, but actually asking for it just shows a union that is off its rocker. The way for the union to handle automation is to have members pay into a fund to give some transition pay to people automated out (or I guess more realistically, have the employers pay into it so they can pretend it's not coming at the expense of lower take home pay for the members).
Yep. Pay us for training on automation functionality, repair and maintenance, etc.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yep. Pay us for training on automation functionality, repair and maintenance, etc.

I think that sounds good, but you'd probably be more successful just giving them essentially a buyout if/when their job gets automated away.

The ones that are capable of doing higher skilled work are going to be able to find a way to get the training they need. Too many people need the workers.

The ones that aren't capable of doing higher skilled work aren't going to be helped by offering training for skills they just aren't going to be able to acquire.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I am neither pro nor anti union but I'm anti this guy and his attitude:

"I will cripple you, and you have no idea what that means. Nobody does." Harold Dagget, Chief Negotiator for the International Longshoremen Association, threatens to cripple the US economy with IMMINENT port strike.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think that sounds good, but you'd probably be more successful just giving them essentially a buyout if/when their job gets automated away.

The ones that are capable of doing higher skilled work are going to be able to find a way to get the training they need. Too many people need the workers.

The ones that aren't capable of doing higher skilled work aren't going to be helped by offering training for skills they just aren't going to be able to acquire.
Yep. Automation/innovation is the backbone of capitalism. Businesses/industries that innovate experience rapid growth, hire new employees, and lift entire economic sectors/regions. Businesses/industries that try to protect antiquated methods of operation are dead without even knowing it and drag down the economic stakeholders that rely on them down with them.. See the rust belt.

There's no difference in what these morons are arguing for than the wagon makers in the 19th century trying to prevent railroads or automobiles from taking over.

And for the "I'm GonNa SeNd my kIdS To tRaDe sChOoL" folks... Think it through. I'm more in favor of sending mine to engineering school to develop the technology that replaces your kid's job in 20 years.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Bring back the horse and buggy industry. Bring back non-smart refrigerators (i'm actually o.k. with that one).
I support the non-smart refrigerator initiative. I don't need my fridge sending data on how cold I keep the freezer over to China.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Just want to let you all know I absolutely will not be attending a game at DWS this week.

And wanted to post this right 17in now like a petty bizznatch so everyone can agree that this thread is in fact on the front page
I stand whichoo. Respeck.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I am neither pro nor anti union but I'm anti this guy and his attitude:

"I will cripple you, and you have no idea what that means. Nobody does." Harold Dagget, Chief Negotiator for the International Longshoremen Association, threatens to cripple the US economy with IMMINENT port strike.

Man, that dude is super unlikeable. Makes me want bad things for members of the ILA. I was inclined to ask, "well have they gotten at least 20% raises since the start of 2020 to keep up with inflation?" But if they are voting for that mutha17er to be the face of their union, I think they're probably stupid and corrupt enough that they don't need to keep up with inflation and probably needed a 20% paycut.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Man, that dude is super unlikeable. Makes me want bad things for members of the ILA. I was inclined to ask, "well have they gotten at least 20% raises since the start of 2020 to keep up with inflation?" But if they are voting for that mutha17er to be the face of their union, I think they're probably stupid and corrupt enough that they don't need to keep up with inflation and probably needed a 20% paycut.
Dude makes 900k per year, has a yacht, drives a Bentley, and survived a RICO case after one of the witnesses was found dead in the trunk of a car. Dude is a criminal.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Older workers controlling unions means that they have older worker concerns on their mind, like let me strike up some sweetheart deal that gets me to retirement regardless of the impact it may have on younger/future workers in my union/field.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I support the non-smart refrigerator initiative. I don't need my fridge sending data on how cold I keep the freezer over to China.
I just want one that's reliable and works a long time and is easy to fix. I do like my vent-free, heat pump dryer but not because it has a lot of settings.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Mississippi should try to build a port with as much automation as possible, regardless of the outcome of the strike and contact negotiations. The fact that Mississippi isn't on that map makes this a great opportunity. Every other state on the coast will have the existing ports and unions try to shut down anything like this.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login