OT: Rivian $42k Repair Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
so does the fuel savings justify the extra you spent on the car?

Its a genuine question and surely its a simple answer.

example (hypothetical only):
a tesla is $90,000
a honda accord is $35,000
i drive 100 miles per day round trip
500 miles per week
accord gets 30 mpg
16.67 gallons per week x $3.25 = $55 in savings

$55 x 52 = $2,860 in savings

There isn't a justification for buying that electrical vehicle besides........"thats what i want"; "i'm trying to save the planet";

Both of those are plenty valid reasons for you to spend your money however the 17 you want b/c its your money!

But financially it doesn't make good sense if thats the reason.

Yeah but he specifically said this:

Ioniq5 and Kona Electric were the two we pursued.

Ioniq5 is less than half the cost of your Tesla example:

Kona Electric costs less than the Ioniq5:

Now plug those costs in with the Honda and those are much more competitive comparisons.

The comparisons are shades of grey as opposed to the black and white of Tesla versus Honda.

I'll just note that I'd go with the Honda over the Hyundai EVs simply because I drive more miles than what glfr is thinking he'd do.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Now plug those costs in with the Honda and those are much more competitive comparisons.

The comparisons are shades of grey as opposed to the black and white of Tesla versus Honda.

I'll just note that I'd go with the Honda over the Hyundai EVs simply because I drive more miles than what glfr is thinking he'd do.
I was looking for him to make it real easy for the rest of us! But that compared to a Honda accord is certainly closer in range to a worth it.

At $55/week in gas savings you are looking at about a 3.5 year payback period.

Could probably argue its not a true $55/week bc you will have higher cost in electricity at home. Definitely see some savings though.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

a tesla is $90,000
500 miles per week
accord gets 30 mpg

There isn't a justification for buying that electrical vehicle besides........"thats what i want"; "i'm trying to save the planet";

Both of those are plenty valid reasons for you to spend your money however the 17 you want b/c its your money!

Your question and hypothetical are both answered in my post that you refused to read.

We didn't buy an EV.
But if we had, yes the higher cost would have been more than offset by savings on gas and regular maintenance. It would have taken 5.5 years, based on costs at the time of analysis.

Maybe this time you will read what was typed.

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
Gruber Motors on tiktok give lots of technical info on Teslas, also wondered if your cooking your nads in a big EMF Field? Don’t know if there are specs for what is and what isn’t allowable.(?)

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Your question and hypothetical are both answered in my post that you refused to read.

We didn't buy an EV.
But if we had, yes the higher cost would have been more than offset by savings on gas and regular maintenance. It would have taken 5.5 years, based on costs at the time of analysis.

Maybe this time you will read what was typed.
Maybe next time you’ll learn to be more clear and concise?

patdog

May 28, 2007

Yeah, but you’d be driving a Hyundai or something called a Kona instead of a Honda. No thanks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, but you’d be driving a Hyundai or something called a Kona instead of a Honda. No thanks.
I understand. I drive a Honda.

But that Ioniq 5 is Motor Trend’s SUV of the year.

So it’s worth considering if it meets his needs.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
At first I thought this story was a joke but apparently not. I can't imagine dropping $90k+ on a vehicle only to have a repair bill on a fender bender to cost almost half of what I paid.

1689733259018.png

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Where are EVs now in relation to mobile phones? I think we're past the Zack Morris version. Maybe around 1990ish?

My post said 1992-1993, which is very firmly in the Zack Morris era….Bayside era to be exact.

In 1990….the entire families of a group of 5-6 totally unrelated friends hadn’t yet all collectively decided to move 2,500 miles from Indiana to the exact same school district in Southern California….and they were all still in Mrs. Bliss’s class. Don’t think Zack was old enough yet for his parents to let him have a cell phone at that time.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You have businesses and factories and the like in your local neighborhood? I'm talking LOCAL grid, as in your street. Where I live this time of year the damn AC runs all night too.
The peak demand for air conditioning is the heat of the day, not at night. The compressor runs way less at night to keep the same temp.

Few people are cooking, operating appliances such as dish washers, dryers, hair dryers or even lights in the middle of the night. You misread how much these cars pull. It's the same as a dryer and I don't know about you, I never run my dryer at night.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My post said 1992-1993, which is very firmly in the Zack Morris era….Bayside era to be exact.

In 1990….the entire families of a group of 5-6 totally unrelated friends hadn’t yet all collectively decided to move 2,500 miles from Indiana to the exact same school district in Southern California….and they were all still in Mrs. Bliss’s class. Don’t think Zack was old enough yet for his parents to let him have a cell phone at that time.

I was listening to a podcast over the weekend, SmartLess, and the actor Danny McBride was interviewed. McBride talked about how he and a handful of others(2 friends/business partners, and a few more unnamed) actually moved from LA to Charleston South Carolina a handful of years ago. They were in Charleston for filming Vice Principals, then they were all back in LA when not working, and eventually everyone just agreed to uproot their families and move to Charleston together. There were multiple kids involved, all similar in age.

Anyways, your comment is hilarious on its own, but its spot on for timing since when I heard that story, I thought 'Oh, so they pulled a Zach Morris!'.

Also, if you like podcasts, SmartLess is solid. Some are behind a paywall, but most are available free. Its Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett as hosts and they interview various people- actors, singers, politicians, mathematicians, etc. Often times, only 1 of the guys knows who the guest will be, so the others arent prepared and that creates a lot of the good content and conversation.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The peak demand for air conditioning is the heat of the day, not at night. The compressor runs way less at night to keep the same temp.

Few people are cooking, operating appliances such as dish washers, dryers, hair dryers or even lights in the middle of the night. You misread how much these cars pull. It's the same as a dryer and I don't know about you, I never run my dryer at night.
Does everyone in your neighborhood run two to three dryers at the same time, any time, now?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Does everyone in your neighborhood run two to three dryers at the same time, any time, now?
This whole bit is not the point you think it is. At worst, the grid (local or not) MAY not have enough capacity to fulfill the demand of everyone coming home and plugging their cars in at the same time. But what you are missing is its close to trivial to prevent everyone from charging at the same time. First, naturally some people would be plugging in when they get home from work, some before bed. Second, incentives alone should be enough to alter behavior, as it currently does with A/C use between 3 and 6pm. Third, if those weren't enough (keeping in mind the incentives above would be providing capital to pay for capacity increases), then you could resolve the problem with in home equipment, such as equipping the circuit breaker to only run one of the car charger or A/C at the same time. A distant distant fourth would be demand outstrips capacity in some way that causes outages or requires expensive upgrades of infrastructure beyond what A/C use already demands.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Just buy a hybrid. Really good gas mileage and a lot cheaper. Let the grid catch up over the next decade and prices of electrics drop. Battery technology will improve as well. And we'll have more of the world's greatest brisket to eat at the nearest Buccee's when we charge our electrics (sarcasm). I drive a hybrid. It's a quieter, smoother ride than the gas and maybe I'll break even in a few years. But I don't care if I do. I can go a lot longer on a tank of gas now so I spend less time pumping gas at Walmart. I'll pay extra to avoid Walmart

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This whole bit is not the point you think it is. At worst, the grid (local or not) MAY not have enough capacity to fulfill the demand of everyone coming home and plugging their cars in at the same time. But what you are missing is its close to trivial to prevent everyone from charging at the same time. First, naturally some people would be plugging in when they get home from work, some before bed. Second, incentives alone should be enough to alter behavior, as it currently does with A/C use between 3 and 6pm. Third, if those weren't enough (keeping in mind the incentives above would be providing capital to pay for capacity increases), then you could resolve the problem with in home equipment, such as equipping the circuit breaker to only run one of the car charger or A/C at the same time. A distant distant fourth would be demand outstrips capacity in some way that causes outages or requires expensive upgrades of infrastructure beyond what A/C use already demands.
You are making assumptions on behavior that are basically just wishful thinking. That is what this whole push to EVs is based on AT THE MOMENT, wishful thinking. EVs are the way we are going, and that IS a good thing, but it is going to be a lot slower than the practitioners of the EV religion want. The technology and logistics are just not in place nor are they going to be in place for quite a while yet. If we would let the market take care of it the timing would work itself out with the least possible disruption, and expense. The government mandates are going to cause a LOT of unnecessary problems. Just cool the jets and it will all come to pass in good time. What MAY happen as things are going is a huge backlash against EVs among the general public. There are already a few signs of it. THAT will set back the cause a LOT longer than letting it work out on its own.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Don't let you prejudices dismiss something before you even check it out. You drive this Ioniq 5 one time and I realized this thing is waaay better than any Honda or Toyota I have ever driven.

The quickness and luxury is off the charts for this price and style. It's a better vehicle than you would expect for sure.

Here is the CAR and Driver review:

I am not saying for you to buy one, just make an informed decision without prejudice. There is no rebate on the Ioniq 5 right now because it's not built in the US. They build some in the US but not this one, yet.

There is a $7500 rebate but Biden's plan is only give it on US built vehicles which helps the US. When I bought mine, there was no rebate for either one, that has changed. Things are changing rapidly so you have keep up with what's happening. Tesla's have come down in price and they qualify for the rebate now which making the "Y" more

I was spending about 130-170 a month in fuel. Now it's more like $30-40 in electricity cost. Savings of about $100 - 130 a month in fuel but that's not all the savings.

No oil changes, no brake replacement and basically no maintenance other than changing out the cabin filter and rotating tires which they do for free the first 3 years on my car. Never stopping to get gas is a new thing.

It does concern me about totaling out over a fender bender. This is news to me and I will keep my full coverage insurance on it for sure and something I need to keep an eye on. I am aware this is all new and we don't know things

a tesla is $90,000
500 miles per week
accord gets 30 mpg

Tesla is a luxury vehicle:
Compare $90,000 Tesla to a 35,000 Honda does not compute. Compare it to a 80,000 Mercedes and it kicks it’s *** on repair cost alone and blows it away with performance. Damn good vehicle but I didn’t want a Luxury price tag.

That’s why I got a $45,000 Ioniq 5. Comparable ICE are more than 35,000 and closer to 40,000. Bought in Memphis but live in MS.

I keep vehicles for 15-20 years and I save 1200 to 2000 per year at current prices in fuel. Then add in the maintenance cost savings it more than made up the insurance difference and initial cost.

The trick is will it last. I am betting it will. Imagine driving a car for 300,000 miles and never even replacing a brake pad, oil changes etc. I never touch the brakes as I use regenerative braking which recharges the batteries.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You are making assumptions on behavior that are basically just wishful thinking. That is what this whole push to EVs is based on AT THE MOMENT, wishful thinking. EVs are the way we are going, and that IS a good thing, but it is going to be a lot slower than the practitioners of the EV religion want. The technology and logistics are just not in place nor are they going to be in place for quite a while yet. If we would let the market take care of it the timing would work itself out with the least possible disruption, and expense. The government mandates are going to cause a LOT of unnecessary problems. Just cool the jets and it will all come to pass in good time. What MAY happen as things are going is a huge backlash against EVs among the general public. There are already a few signs of it. THAT will set back the cause a LOT longer than letting it work out on its own.
It’s not wishful.
Many places already give discounts for off peak usage. It takes minutes to program a car to charge at a certain time in your sleep. Keep in mind I don’t charge daily. Twice a week for work and then weekends as needed or work trips.
Work trips are easy too, I charge at hotel. They comp it and do t even charge me.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The trick is will it last. I am betting it will. Imagine driving a car for 300,000 miles and never even replacing a brake pad, oil changes etc. I never touch the brakes as I use regenerative braking which recharges the batteries.

The more I read about the Ioniq 5, the more I like about it and I didn't know anything about it until this thread.

But even though I like it, I'm not in its target audience because of my driving profile (300-500 mile road trips) so I'll be looking at Hybrids.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It’s not wishful.
Many places already give discounts for off peak usage. It takes minutes to program a car to charge at a certain time in your sleep. Keep in mind I don’t charge daily. Twice a week for work and then weekends as needed or work trips.
Work trips are easy too, I charge at hotel. They comp it and do t even charge me.
It is wishful. It might work out like that, but nobody knows how the great mass of people will behave on this. Most of the people that have them now have them because they are either true believers, or they are your typical early adopters of new technology. Those types of people tend to do things the way you hope they will. It's a bit different when Joe from Noxapater is finally doing it.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Wut? It's not "wishful thinking" to point out that incentives change behavior, that it's proven successful with A/C use, and the facts that the pull of car chargers just doesn't significantly exceed A/C use in some way that would change overall demand on the grid. I think you just don't know when to concede or point nor when to shut up.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
First not understanding off peak hours of electrical usage. That really is a simple concept that I would think everyone gets and then that people won't opt to save money when charging their cars when it's simple to do.

Now, it seems you are just trolling. You may as well be arguing that gravity doesn't exist and the world is flat.

So, are you dumb or trolling or just stubborn as hell.

I think you are stubborn and unwilling to embrace new ideas. You are not alone in your thoughts but as these things get better even you may decide it's worth it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
First not understanding off peak hours of electrical usage. That really is a simple concept that I would think everyone gets and then that people won't opt to save money when charging their cars when it's simple to do.

Now, it seems you are just trolling. You may as well be arguing that gravity doesn't exist and the world is flat.

So, are you dumb or trolling or just stubborn as hell.

I think you are stubborn and unwilling to embrace new ideas. You are not alone in your thoughts but as these things get better even you may decide it's worth it.
I told you up the board, I want an EV, just as soon as I can get one (and the infrastructure to support it) that fits my needs. That time is coming, but I think It will be later rather than sooner. I think they are cool as heck. FYI: I understand off peak usage. Now will that time change when every home has 2+ EVs charging all night? It might. Other things that run at night will still be running.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Wut? It's not "wishful thinking" to point out that incentives change behavior, that it's proven successful with A/C use, and the facts that the pull of car chargers just doesn't significantly exceed A/C use in some way that would change overall demand on the grid. I think you just don't know when to concede or point nor when to shut up.
If it requires ARTIFICAL incentives, then that kind of proves my whole point. Now off peak incentives are a market thing. It helps sell something when it is in low demand (even though it's not publicized that way). That is fine.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If it requires ARTIFICAL incentives, then that kind of proves my whole point. Now off peak incentives are a market thing. It helps sell something when it is in low demand (even though it's not publicized that way). That is fine.
That's clearly what it would be.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Don't let you prejudices dismiss something before you even check it out. You drive this Ioniq 5 one time and I realized this thing is waaay better than any Honda or Toyota I have ever driven.

The quickness and luxury is off the charts for this price and style. It's a better vehicle than you would expect for sure.

Here is the CAR and Driver review:

I am not saying for you to buy one, just make an informed decision without prejudice. There is no rebate on the Ioniq 5 right now because it's not built in the US. They build some in the US but not this one, yet.

There is a $7500 rebate but Biden's plan is only give it on US built vehicles which helps the US. When I bought mine, there was no rebate for either one, that has changed. Things are changing rapidly so you have keep up with what's happening. Tesla's have come down in price and they qualify for the rebate now which making the "Y" more

I was spending about 130-170 a month in fuel. Now it's more like $30-40 in electricity cost. Savings of about $100 - 130 a month in fuel but that's not all the savings.

No oil changes, no brake replacement and basically no maintenance other than changing out the cabin filter and rotating tires which they do for free the first 3 years on my car. Never stopping to get gas is a new thing.

It does concern me about totaling out over a fender bender. This is news to me and I will keep my full coverage insurance on it for sure and something I need to keep an eye on. I am aware this is all new and we don't know things

Tesla is a luxury vehicle:
Compare $90,000 Tesla to a 35,000 Honda does not compute. Compare it to a 80,000 Mercedes and it kicks it’s *** on repair cost alone and blows it away with performance. Damn good vehicle but I didn’t want a Luxury price tag.

That’s why I got a $45,000 Ioniq 5. Comparable ICE are more than 35,000 and closer to 40,000. Bought in Memphis but live in MS.

I keep vehicles for 15-20 years and I save 1200 to 2000 per year at current prices in fuel. Then add in the maintenance cost savings it more than made up the insurance difference and initial cost.

Good info.

would read again!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The more I read about the Ioniq 5, the more I like about it and I didn't know anything about it until this thread.

But even though I like it, I'm not in its target audience because of my driving profile (300-500 mile road trips) so I'll be looking at Hybrids.
Probably where I am. I don’t always drive 300-500 miles but I do a decent amount.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I own 3 vehicles, a yard truck and two reliable SUVs, one ICE and one EV. When my wife decides to replace hers, we will need to decide if we are going all in on EVs or get an ICE. Infrastructure improvements will be a big factor.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
LOL If owned an EV I would be less concerned about what I was doing to the grid than what the grid might do to me in case of an extended outage.
The 2 "Extended outages" I've experienced it didn't matter what powered my car. There was a curfew and no where to go.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t know if the grid will hold out or not, I’m just thankful the repairs are affordable **

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
You have businesses and factories and the like in your local neighborhood? I'm talking LOCAL grid, as in your street. Where I live this time of year the damn AC runs all night too.
We all knew what you mean.

are there rolling blackouts on your street every night? Or Thanksgiving? or on Laundry day?

If you can run your Oven or a Dryer, you can Charge your EV.

Also, look at adding insulation to your house, or get a new AC, It shouldn't be running all day long.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
The EARLIEST of these proposals are 18 years away....

If your precious High school football trips cannot take a 10 minute delay, you have other issues.

If only there were some program to add fast Chargers in Rural Mississippi. Maybe funded by the Power company.

Again, if you don't want one, don't get one.

But to say "it won't work for Rural Mississippi" is false.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Can everyone do it x2-3 with all that stuff running too? In every neighborhood?
sigh.

see what happens with most people that have EV's is they charge at night. after they go to bed. After they have finished cooking and washing clothes.

If you run the AC and the oven and the dryer and 3 pool pumps and charge 4 EV's, 24/7, there might be an issue.

But, if the local grid can survive Thanksgiving day with everyone running the stove and the oven and the microwave, then it will work for charging your car.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Also, look at adding insulation to your house, or get a new AC, It shouldn't be running all day long.
Man I dunno, when it's 98+ outside and high humidity, almost all of them are gonna run just about non-stop from 12p-7p or whatever unless you have it set on 80 inside or something absurd

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
That's my whole point, I won't be replacing any vehicle I have now or in the future w/ an EV based on initial costs, insurance, charger installation and costs, and common sense because it makes absolutely no sense based on my needs and many more like me in smaller towns or any drivers wherever they live that do shorter distances. Try to get one worked on in a small town too.... W/ minimal driving like I do maintenance is even minimal.

I don't have anything against them, they just have nothing for me.
If it doesn't work for you, don't get one.

and I'm not saying this will work for you, but it's not as far away as you think.

But the initial costs are coming down, Charger installation at home is getting a 50 amp circuit run to near where you park ( some are easy some are a pain in the ***)

Public Chargers are being added all over the place. With the state, and every power company adding them
https://mdot.ms.gov/documents/Planning/Plan/EV/MS EV Infrastructure Deployment Plan.pdf see page 8

Why do i need to get it "Worked on"? it has 3 moving parts. and Tesla will come to my house to fix stuff under warranty ( 8 years 100,000 miles).

The only thing I've had to replace are tires and wiper blades. And the tire shop was a local place.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Man I dunno, when it's 98+ outside and high humidity, almost all of them are gonna run just about non-stop from 12p-7p or whatever unless you have it set on 80 inside or something absurd
it's 103 here in the Houston area today and only cools off to 80 at night. It's been hot like that for weeks. I cool down to 65 at night and keep it at 72 in the day and mine only runs for 8 hours a day.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

a tesla is $40,000
500 miles per week
accord gets 30 mpg

Why are you comparing the $100,000 Tesla to a Honda?

A model 3 is $40,000.

You don't drive on weekends?

That's Grapefruit and KumQuats. ..

The Tesla before the tax write off is $5k more, and you save $2,800 a year, in fuel, plus 2 oil changes at $70 each, plus th $7500 form the government....

And a 2018 model 3 with 60,000 miles on it per Carmax is still worth $31,000....

Reactions: mstateglfr

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Why are you comparing the $100,000 Tesla to a Honda?

A model 3 is $40,000.

You don't drive on weekends?

That's Grapefruit and KumQuats. ..

The Tesla before the tax write off is $5k more, and you save $2,800 a year, in fuel, plus 2 oil changes at $70 each, plus th $7500 form the government....

And a 2018 model 3 with 60,000 miles on it per Carmax is still worth $31,000....
Have no idea of the costs.

My point was mstate golfer wrote a book and didn't really give us much info in it.

The less words a man can say and still get his point across the better.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Not everyone will need full on charging every single day. Some may be able to charge with a much smaller charger hookup than the 50 amp 220v system. Also, more than one EV at each house? I would assume, as time goes the numbers will get up there, but that is like 50 years from now and the entire grid progressively gets upgraded for growth literally every single day.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Look, the vast majority of people could change tomorrow and never notice a single difference or be inconvenienced in the slightest. Some behavior changes will be needed, but with maybe 3 minutes of planning gets you ready for your trip.

To everyone that doesn't own a Tesla, the system in the Tesla 100% monitors your battery life, expected trip, where all the chargers are located, which one is busy at the moment or open for you to use, and directs you there when the battery needs a charge. It goes from 10% to 90% in like 20 minutes at a fast charger.

When you charge at home, the bill would be around 12 bucks for 300 miles compared to 10 gallons at 4/gal.

Due to regenerative braking, you never will have to replace the brakes.

Due to the electric motor, you no longer have any transmission or motor related maintenance, for the life of the car.

The batteries are getting better every generation, and when solid state gets here..... 800 miles range is very easily achieved.

No one on here has a car that can outrun a Tesla on track mode. They are incredibly quick with basically infinite torque.

New technologies has issues when they come out. Electric has definitely faced theirs, but people generally only remember the horrible internet stories versus the literal millions of successes.

I would buy the 100k Silverado RST EV today if they called me and told me one was available.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Not everyone will need full on charging every single day. Some may be able to charge with a much smaller charger hookup than the 50 amp 220v system. Also, more than one EV at each house? I would assume, as time goes the numbers will get up there, but that is like 50 years from now and the entire grid progressively gets upgraded for growth literally every single day.
L4 thinks that tonight the Evil Gub'ment will steal all the ICE cars and replace it with EV's. and make them all drive until the battery is at 1% then make them charge at the same time. Every night until there is no more santa claus.

or he doesn't understand how things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login