OT Russia has problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Howdy Vladimir. That's absurd. Article 5 only applies to NATO members, which Ukraine is NOT. The US is THE most guilty country in this after Russia though. We essentially forced Ukraine to give up their inherited Soviet nukes, in agreement with the ex-Soviet turned Russian Imperialists of course. If they still had nukes the initial Russian Colonial Reconquista in 2014 would never have happened.
My name is not Vladimir and I’m just telling you what Lindsey Graham said. Article 5 will be invoked because radiation will travel on air currents to NATO countries, which Lindsey said is an attack on NATO. He also said NATO will completely destroy ALL of Russia’s military. Look it up and watch their press conference on CSPAN. And yes, the CIA has been meddling in Ukraine since the Obama administration at least.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Oh, so more money needs to go to national defense?
The US spends 2.8x more than the next closest country. And in 3 years since this graph, the US increased spending by $145 billion.

But yeah, a drastic increase is needed.

I’d be ecstatic if the military (and any government agency in general) was forced to spend responsibly vs blowing their wad to justify asking for more money the next fiscal year.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The uncertainty of war. There's been a backlash in this country to American militarism, segments of the right even opposed funding for Ukraine, and now Putin is facing serious consequences for launching an unpopular war based on government lies and dishonesty. There's also this weird support for Putin on the right from those who believe he's protecting western civilization and Christianity from drag queens and wokeness. Dems reignited the Cold War with Russia once Trump got elected and the neo-conservative war mongers switched back to the Dem party. Anyway, it's Russia. If Putin is gone, something I hope happens, there's no guarantee his replacement will be better. Butchers going after butchers. Who wins? That Wagner outfit, if reports are accurate, now controls a fair amount of "strategic assets." Strategic assets include nukes.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Not sure how Ukraine should respond. Let the Russians fight each other or continue fighting the Russians who occupy their lands.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'm just disappointed that a bad assed Russian group of mercenaries couldn't come up with a more intimidating name than the "Wagner Group".

Reactions: MSUGUY and Podgy

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You may be right. If a regime change takes on a more pro-military stance with more support and organization, this could make things much worse in Ukraine. To think that Putin was the brakes on this machine is scary.
Ukraine is why they are rebellion.
How much more do you think we should have done?
He has slowed walked too much. The M1A1's and F-16 should have been given a year ago. He is always one step behind. It's almost like he is being pulled.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Not sure how Ukraine should respond. Let the Russians fight each other or continue fighting the Russians who occupy their lands.
They need to take opportunity to take back the Crimea, and other area the Russian have taken away. Russia is in deep ****. We need to wonder what China will do.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The uncertainty of war. There's been a backlash in this country to American militarism, segments of the right even opposed funding for Ukraine, and now Putin is facing serious consequences for launching an unpopular war based on government lies and dishonesty. There's also this weird support for Putin on the right from those who believe he's protecting western civilization and Christianity from drag queens and wokeness. Dems reignited the Cold War with Russia once Trump got elected and the neo-conservative war mongers switched back to the Dem party. Anyway, it's Russia. If Putin is gone, something I hope happens, there's no guarantee his replacement will be better. Butchers going after butchers. Who wins? That Wagner outfit, if reports are accurate, now controls a fair amount of "strategic assets." Strategic assets include nukes.
The Right is not for Putin. What a stupid take. The Right wants Europe to solve their own damn problems without the US involvement at all. graham is a clown. I want my tax dollars updating OUR defenses. Whether you want to believe it or not, both sides of that war are led by very bad people. The only difference is Zelinski doesn’t care about expanding Ukraine. He just loves money money money. The people of Ukraine need to throw that guy out and form a constitutional republic. The Russians need to ride up in civil war and get rid of all the communist leaders and get ready to defend themselves against China!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yup. Totally stupid take unless you're educated and informed on the topic, you used the phrase "segments of the right," a phrase that doesn't mean the entire Right, and you know that The Right, isn't really a monolithic thing. It's not hard to find evidence for the reasonable, accurate things I wrote:
"A YouGov poll in January found that Republicans viewed Putin more favorably than they viewed President Biden, Kamala Harris or Nancy Pelosi."

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I find it funny that possibly a Brigade size force of abut 25K men with Tanks might do what Napoleon with 300K men and Hitler with 3 million men could not do.
Coups don't need majority support. Not saying it will be successful, but Russia's military has been humiliated and large segments of the military and population are demoralized by this war.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just text a really good friend of mine who is a Colonel in the Army who works at the Pentagon who we are pulling for. He may not respond on the matter. It will be interesting.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Coups don't need majority support. Not saying it will be successful, but Russia's military has been humiliated and large segments of the military and population are demoralized by this war.
Putin has his best troops around Moscow. Some of them were sent to Ukraine and got whipped. I don't know how good they are. At this point we have to wonder just how many military leaders and troops join in. They are not happy with Putin.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Putin may be losing allies. What do they know? If Putin remains in power, there will be payback for disloyalty.
"The Belarus' Security Council hedges its support. In their official statement they support the war, Russia, and the Russian unity, but not Putin and not the government."

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm just disappointed that a bad assed Russian group of mercenaries couldn't come up with a more intimidating name than the "Wagner Group".
The boss of the Wagner Group once sold hot dogs for a living. I may have to do a double take next time I'm hungry at Davis Wade. Who knows about the ambitions of some people. Now that I think about it, I may have used the Wagner Group years ago to do my taxes. Or maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgman42

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm for $1 over what keeps us #1. Trust me you don't want us to be #2. So, unless you know what $ amount keeps us #1 then maybe you should measure your hyperbole about what we spend in military defense.
According to L4, China already surpassed us. So we aren't 1 now.

Seriously though, yeah I get the idea that we need to stay at 1. That isn't what I was countering though when I initially posted in this thread.
I was saying we don't need to increase. We can stay still right now and still be 1.
...unless China is lying and passed us long ago.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The Bolshevik Revolution happened with remarkably little bloodshed. Perhaps as many were killed just filming the 1928 Soviet film October that honored the event. Of course millions of people died in the Russian Civil War and under Communist rule, something that's largely ignored or dismissed by leftists in America.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
According to L4, China already surpassed us. So we aren't 1 now.

Seriously though, yeah I get the idea that we need to stay at 1. That isn't what I was countering though when I initially posted in this thread.
I was saying we don't need to increase. We can stay still right now and still be 1.
...unless China is lying and passed us long ago.
They are most certainly outspending us on ACTUAL military spending. You need to look at the rate they are building military equipment vs what we are doing.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Any day now the BRICs are gonna destroy the dollar, right? Stock up on gold and dried goods, right? Maybe Russia shouldn't be so paranoid about the west and learn to embrace democracy.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Yup. Totally stupid take unless you're educated and informed on the topic, you used the phrase "segments of the right," a phrase that doesn't mean the entire Right, and you know that The Right, isn't really a monolithic thing. It's not hard to find evidence for the reasonable, accurate things I wrote:
"A YouGov poll in January found that Republicans viewed Putin more favorably than they viewed President Biden, Kamala Harris or Nancy Pelosi."
Oh the NYT, good grief.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My friend at the Pentagon says pull Wagner.
I get what a lot of people are saying that warn about the uncertainty, but his comments about the Ukraine invasion make it seem like he’d be more open to the West.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Howdy Vladimir. That's absurd. Article 5 only applies to NATO members, which Ukraine is NOT. The US is THE most guilty country in this after Russia though. We essentially forced Ukraine to give up their inherited Soviet nukes, in agreement with the ex-Soviet turned Russian Imperialists of course. If they still had nukes the initial Russian Colonial Reconquista in 2014 would never have happened.
Hindsight is 20/20. No one had a guarantee what direction Ukraine was going to go. They could have easily turned into the type of nation that we don't want being anywhere near owning nukes.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You appear to be a terrible democrat. Check your inbox, you're supposed to be 100% behind the war machine. I thought your were a better liberal than that. **

It's amazing to me the power the military industrial complex has. They have the ability to switch between republican admins and democrat admins without anyone noticing. One war to the next but somehow "both sides" are in agreement.

Sounds legit.
Yeah, it's been interesting to watch the dynamic between perception and military allegiance both by elected officials and common citizens.

2001 through 2008- if you are not with us you are against us. Anyone who even dared question the idea that we should indefinitely occupy Afghanistan and Iraq was called a *****, was accused of hating our troops, and was even accused of supporting the enemy.
These claims were made by conservatives in the Executive and Legislative branches as well as political commentators on radio, TV, and in print.
Leadership clearly wanted to nation build and underestimated the challenge.

2009 through 2016- people on both sides were supportive and critical of military occupation. We couldn't stop spending money and see all that has been invested be a waste. And couldn't stop supporting those who were trying to make the world safer.
Leadership didn't want to nation build, but didn't stop and couldn't see a path out.

2017 through 2020- people on both sides were supportive and critical of military occupation. More of the same- feelings of obligation and helplessness.
Leadership didn't want to nation build and made an agreement with a terrorist organization to hand back a country to them after almost 2 decades of trying to overthrow the organization.

2021 through 2023- conservative commentators are critical of a poor exit agreement not going well when the time comes. Liberal commentators continue to defend a poorly executed withdrawal.
Everyone supports troops in general.
The right now doesn't want to involve itself in defending another country from invasion while some on the left do and some don't.
It's confusing since the switch seems to be a 180 from what the right has pushed for over the prior 20 years and they try to Gaslight when called out.
Leadership doesn't know want to fight, but can't do nothing so they send money and weapons. Some agree with this while others criticize.

It's wild as 17. People who supported invading and occupying Afghanistan, even though it was totally unnecessary, criticize the US involving itself in any manner with helping Ukraine.
Wild.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I get what a lot of people are saying that warn about the uncertainty, but his comments about the Ukraine invasion make it seem like he’d be more open to the West.
Is he our bad guy? That's how foreign policy works. It's hard to moralize foreign policy when the world is full of thugs and goons. We have to deal with authoritarians. Putin was accepted for years until the Ukraine invasion with the usual foreign policy maneuvers to check Russia (Syria, for instance).

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yeah, it's been interesting to watch the dynamic between perception and military allegiance both by elected officials and common citizens.

2001 through 2008- if you are not with us you are against us. Anyone who even dared question the idea that we should indefinitely occupy Afghanistan and Iraq was called a *****, was accused of hating our troops, and was even accused of supporting the enemy.
These claims were made by conservatives in the Executive and Legislative branches as well as political commentators on radio, TV, and in print.

2009 through 2016- people on both sides were supportive and critical of military occupation. We couldn't stop spending money and see all that has been invested be a waste. And couldn't stop supporting those who were trying to make the world safer.
Leadership didn't want to nation build, but didn't stop and couldn't see a path out.

2017 through 2020- people on both sides were supportive and critical of military occupation. More of the same- feelings of obligation and helplessness.
Leadership didn't want to nation build and made an agreement with a terrorist organization to hand back a country to them after almost 2 decades of trying to overthrow the organization.

2021 through 2023- conservative commentators are critical of a poor exit agreement not going well when the time comes. Liberal commentators continue to defend a poorly executed withdrawal.
The right now doesn't want to involve itself in defending another country from invasion while some on the left do and some don't.
It's confusing since the switch seems to be a 180 from what the right has pushed for over the prior 20 years and they try to Gaslight when called out.
Leadership doesn't know want to fight, but can't do nothing so they send money and weapons. Some agree with this while others criticize.

It's wild as 17. People who supported invading and occupying Afghanistan, even though it was totally unnecessary, criticize the US involving itself in any manner with helping Ukraine.
Wild.
Maybe they noticed how disastrous and expensive and useless the occupation was and how we were repeatedly lied to about it. Or maybe they're so loyal to a political party, or a political leader, that they believe what they're told is the right thing to believe. A lot of Dems got all anti-Putin especially after being told how anti LGBTQ+ and some other letters and numbers he was.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

Wild.
It was also wild how nuts right wing commentators were when Obama rolled over and let Putin take full control of the crimea in 2014. Now most of those exact same folks don't think we should be spending a dime to help Ukraine.
WHAT TO BELIEVE?? HOW TO FEEL? Who the 17 knows?

Reactions: mcdawg22

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Once The Soviet Union collapsed why was there a rush by Europe & America to expand NATO other than to kick The Wounded Bear while it was down? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing politically or societally I hate more than communism but our overlords sometimes just don't know their limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login