OT: Southwest adding non-stop to/from Jackson and Nashville

Dec 28, 2019
You must live in Tupelo. It's about 5 1/2 from Jackson. But I would still opt for the drive myself. Probly about 4 1/2 from Philly. Wait a minute...you mean from Memphis to Knoxville ? For sure

Reactions: ll Martain ll

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I have some sw flight credits I never planned on using but assigned seating in 24 & a direct to Nashville…. Break out the boots Brenda we goin to Broadway

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I would think Memphis - Nashville is really more about connecting.

A lot of Memphis -> Nashville -> Milwaukee tickets, IMO. Otherwise they’re headed to Love or Hobby.
Yep.. this cuts down on travel time when you don’t fly up to Chicago or down to Houston just for a connection.

And my company loves Southwest.. even though I keep telling them I could fly Delta cheaper.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Flew southwest one time. Never again.

I flew sw first time this summer and the seating thing they do is a nightmare. Glad they’re changing that but I’m American pretty much exclusively now. I’ve been screwed by United twice almost ruing trips so I’ll never fly united again. Delta has always been good but American has the best rewards card imo and they’ve always been on time in my experience.

Never fly Silver unless you have to, to get to Caribbean. Had a package trip on Expedia that I had to switch some flights around and got a return trip on Silver. My god lol. A big pink prop plane with no air flow at all in the cabin. Must be what spirit is like.

Reactions: onewoof

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I flew sw first time this summer and the seating thing they do is a nightmare. Glad they’re changing that but I’m American pretty much exclusively now. I’ve been screwed by United twice almost ruing trips so I’ll never fly united again. Delta has always been good but American has the best rewards card imo and they’ve always been on time in my experience.

Never fly Silver unless you have to, to get to Caribbean. Had a package trip on Expedia that I had to switch some flights around and got a return trip on Silver. My god lol. A big pink prop plane with no air flow at all in the cabin. Must be what spirit is like.
In the last year or so, American has gotten really competitive with their 1st class vs coach pricing. Although sitting up front sure makes it hard to go back to gen pop.

Olegreyboy

Oct 13, 2022

when we boarded it was not a sellout. people were sitting everywhere. the flight attendant asked everyone to move up front. We did. Then she asked half the people to move to the back. We did. Then she asked some of the people in the front and some of the people in the back to move to the middle. It was a circus.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I'm not a huge SWA fan but I've never gotten the hatred for the open seating. I mean... you just walk on and grab a seat. What's the fuss?
It wasn’t that big of a deal. I have flown JAN to DEN several times in the last year and the only issue is that by the time you get to the last C boarders, everybody has left the center seat open so you have a lot of families having to split up and crawl all over the place filling in seats.

But that is just the state of our country at this point. A lot of inconsiderate dipshits.

Also I have never had a problem with getting my carrryon on board with SW. The few times I’ve flown with Delta recently they always use the excuse that the flight is full and they start making everyone gate check their carry ons

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
when we boarded it was not a sellout. people were sitting everywhere. the flight attendant asked everyone to move up front. We did. Then she asked half the people to move to the back. We did. Then she asked some of the people in the front and some of the people in the back to move to the middle. It was a circus.
Good lord. Hopefully they had everyone unpack & repack the overhead bin or deboarding was a legit Chinese fire drill

Olegreyboy

Oct 13, 2022
Good lord. Hopefully they had everyone unpack & repack the overhead bin or deboarding was a legit Chinese fire dril
My wife and I were sitting on the third row from the front so we never actually had to move. This procedure took about 30 minutes. I don't remember if people were moving things out of the overhead bin. When we deplaned I dont think I looked back.

Reactions: FreeDawg

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Memphis needs a direct to Nashville. If you want to fly that route, you have to go to Atlanta first then on to Nashville. Crazy!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Memphis needs a direct to Nashville. If you want to fly that route, you have to go to Atlanta first then on to Nashville. Crazy!
No one in their right mind would fly to Memphis from Nashville, or vice versa, as a direct destination. It’s 3 hours - you drive that. So no, you don’t “need” that.

This is for Memphis people who want to go elsewhere on Southwest. If it’s not, Southwest is going to lose money on it.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I'm not a huge SWA fan but I've never gotten the hatred for the open seating. I mean... you just walk on and grab a seat. What's the fuss?
They upsell for early boarding. Not so fast. Elderly people lying about disabilities board first and eat the first rows, no matter how much you paid. After that, rude fatties drop their overstuffed purses on your head and the surly SW flight attendants turn on their demon eyes glaring at you.
Fark sw

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
No one in their right mind would fly to Memphis from Nashville, or vice versa, as a direct destination. It’s 3 hours - you drive that. So no, you don’t “need” that.

This is for Memphis people who want to go elsewhere on Southwest. If it’s not, Southwest is going to lose money on it.
I'm really curious why they added this flight; obviously, SWA knows more about it than Dorn, but you can already get to all of Southwest's major hubs from Memphis, along with several other destinations.

1727390364204.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm really curious why they added this flight; obviously, SWA knows more about it than Dorn, but you can already get to all of Southwest's major hubs from Memphis, along with several other destinations.

View attachment 658413
Competition, IMO. BNA firing a shot at MEM. Know your role type stuff. And MEM knows they can’t say no.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Last time we flew to NYC, we drove to Nashville (from Birmingham) to get a direct SW flight to LGA. I think it was like $50/person each way. MUCH cheaper than flying out of BHM and having to go through Tampa or Chicago.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Last time we flew to NYC, we drove to Nashville (from Birmingham) to get a direct SW flight to LGA. I think it was like $50/person each way. MUCH cheaper than flying out of BHM and having to go through Tampa or Chicago.
Flying direct is more important than airline, IMO. Carry on and fly direct. If that’s your starting point - it won’t ever be too bad.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I flew sw first time this summer and the seating thing they do is a nightmare.
I only fly SW (they have the only nonstop to BWI), the seating is not a big deal at all, it if think its a nightmare, you haven't seen much in your life.

My biggest issue is flying out of JAN, I'm usually the only person under 400lbs, the airlines use less than half that weight for planning purposes, I get nervous when the flight is full.:)

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’ve always found the delta route to Atlanta, even before southwest, is reasonable. I’m glad to see a direct flight to a city currently not served out of Jackson. It would be nice if someone would pick up a direct route to Chicago.
And more direct flights to BWI and a nonstop to JFK.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Southwest was my favorite airline in the skies 15 years ago. It was considerably cheaper than almost everyone, all the time. They were forced to operate their main hub out of smaller and less expensive Love field in Dallas by the Wright amendment. Out of Love, they could only fly to states they shared a border with.

I remember going to Memphis quite a bit back then and it was way cheaper and easy to fly SWA to Little Rock and rent a car than to fly DFW to Memphis. I worked a lot in Tulsa and almost always caught $39 flights from Love in 08-11ish.

After the Wright amendment expired in 2014 a lot changed, they began acting a lot more like a big airline. I'm sure opening up at bigger airports added complexity to the business and expense. Not to mention losing founder Herb Kelleher as CEO and Chairman also took a lot of wind out of the culture in the 00's. I remember knowing pilots and flight attendants telling me they made considerably less working at SWA than American, but wouldn't leave due to culture.... I mean how do you not run through a wall for this guy vs all the overstuffed corporate suits running most other businesses...

Herb arm wrestling a small time aviation business for the right to use a slogan while working a heater:
1000015239.jpg

Fast forward to today and SW is not what it used to be. I closed my SWA card a few years back and used the last of my points in 2022.

Best airlines to me these days are Alaska far and away, Delta in second with a lot of distance between it and 3rd, and then American or SWA. United sucks and double 17 Denver. If you have to connect through Denver give yourself a roofie and hope for the best. Most overcrowded airport in America. SLC is much better if you need to connect out west.

Reactions: dorndawg

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I only fly SW (they have the only nonstop to BWI), the seating is not a big deal at all, it if think its a nightmare, you haven't seen much in your life.

My biggest issue is flying out of JAN, I'm usually the only person under 400lbs, the airlines use less than half that weight for planning purposes, I get nervous when the flight is full.:)

Not assigned seating is retarded on every level especially for what it does with overheads. They are changing in in 2025 because is so undesirable. And to your point, I got stuck between an old married cpl from fll to bwi that combined close to 600lbs . Didn’t realize they were married until about 30 mins in. Instead of spilling on each other, they both chose to spill on a stranger. That day I decided I’ll never fly SW or economy again in my life 😆

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Not assigned seating is retarded on every level especially for what it does with overheads. They are changing in in 2025 because is so undesirable. And to your point, I got stuck between an old married cpl from fll to bwi that combined close to 600lbs . Didn’t realize they were married until about 30 mins in. Instead of spilling on each other, they both chose to spill on a stranger. That day I decided I’ll never fly SW or economy again in my life 😆
If you don't know how to fly Southwest, it sucks. Middle seats mean you're at the end of C group. That tells me you haven't flown SWA often. Between my credit card/loyalty position and always setting a calendar reminder to be ready for online check-in 24 hours and 5 minutes before departure, I can't remember not being in A 35 or earlier which usually means an aisle seat on an exit row for me and priority overhead. I was always laughing at you poor bastards that didn't know how the game was rigged.

That said, I did get 17ed a couple of years ago counting on an Uber to the airport. We got a surprise dusting of snow and no drivers would pick me up so I had to wait on a city shuttle. When I finally got there with my A12 or whatever boarding, almost all of C was already on the plane. I had to gate check my bag and sit between a couple of walruses myself. My bag didn't make my connection and I myself have decided I am told old to put up with that shìt I have left Southwest as a regular customer.

That said, pretty sure they still have the companion pass. I don't fly nearly enough to get it now, but back in the day it was awesome. Couples without kids, single dudes wanting to take laycations with a chick, or a guy that just wants to take a friend on a destination golf trip will be hard pressed to beat the companion pass for airline rewards.

Reactions: FreeDawg

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
If you don't know how to fly Southwest, it sucks. Middle seats mean you're at the end of C group. That tells me you haven't flown SWA often. Between my credit card/loyalty position and always setting a calendar reminder to be ready for online check-in 24 hours and 5 minutes before departure, I can't remember not being in A 35 or earlier which usually means an aisle seat on an exit row for me and priority overhead. I was always laughing at you poor bastards that didn't know how the game was rigged.

That said, I did get 17ed a couple of years ago counting on an Uber to the airport. We got a surprise dusting of snow and no drivers would pick me up so I had to wait on a city shuttle. When I finally got there with my A12 or whatever boarding, almost all of C was already on the plane. I had to gate check my bag and sit between a couple of walruses myself. My bag didn't make my connection and I myself have decided I am told old to put up with that shìt I have left Southwest as a regular customer.

That said, pretty sure they still have the companion pass. I don't fly nearly enough to get it now, but back in the day it was awesome. Couples without kids, single dudes wanting to take laycations with a chick, or a guy that just wants to take a friend on a destination golf trip will be hard pressed to beat the companion pass for airline rewards.

I was b on that one but basic economy. But the unassigned premise just isn’t for me and the vast majority of the market apparently. I didn’t intend on using the credits I had with them but will probably cash them in for Nashville. Currently working my way to AA Executive Platinum status (gold currently but I’ll get it done in a few months). That’s how I plan on flying here on out. Like I said, that FLL to BWI trip changed me 😆

• Haha
Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

If you don’t fly a lot and have a family it’s awful. Anyone over 6 yo and you have to go negotiate to get a seat with a parent which is terrible. Also I think any efficiencies get lost when people start walking the whole plane looking for an aisle or window.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login