OT- State of golf and PGA

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
My main question on this thing…

Is how to pronounce it? I know it’s Roman Numerals, so are we just calling it “fifty-four”?

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
The PGA tour has no one to blame but themselves. They had plenty of time to get out in front of this and improve the dynamics of their own league but they decided to ignore it and just issue these vague threats to players. Very similar to how the NCAA handled the NIL. Competition is never a bad thing but when one organization/company has controlled the entire market for 50 years then they throw a temper tantrum when someone else comes along with another option and makes them actually have to think/work/improve. Complacency is easy when you're the only option.

Issues the PGA tour has failed miserably at developing...

1. Making it easier for younger stars to get on tour and creating a path for them. If you're one of the top amateurs in the world then chances are you have the same opportunities as Joe Blow from the local muni to get on tour. Go try to monday qualify for PGA/Korn Ferry and/or go to q-school at the end of the year. And oh yeah, go in debt doing it.

2. Improve TV coverage. Golf coverage has been terrible for years now. Just bland, not a lot of interesting storylines, only focuses on 4-5 players during coverage and continuously shows waaaay too many commercials and sponsor interviews during the telecast. The viewers/spectators feel zero connection with the players in any way.

3. Control of media rights. PGA tour players have no rights of their own brand when playing an event. They are basically owned by the PGA tour and the tour makes all the money from their image.

4. Creating stars. This can be connected to #1 but the tour hasn't done anything to make the new guys appealing at all. As good as these younger players are I'm not tuning in to see Scottie Scheffler, Sam Burns or Cameron Young unless there's something other than just a golf shot. The only reason I watch now is because of Davis Riley being from MS.

But just like the NCAA, they saw this coming from early on and refused to take it serious and be proactive. And I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot more guys go over there pretty soon. Rumor is they are offering top college amateurs upwards to 10 mil right out of college. It'd take most of those guys 10-12 years to make that on tour and that's only if they're able to keep their tour card every year

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Issues the PGA tour has failed miserably at developing...

1. Making it easier for younger stars to get on tour and creating a path for them. If you're one of the top amateurs in the world then chances are you have the same opportunities as Joe Blow from the local muni to get on tour. Go try to monday qualify for PGA/Korn Ferry and/or go to q-school at the end of the year. And oh yeah, go in debt doing it.

2. Improve TV coverage. Golf coverage has been terrible for years now. Just bland, not a lot of interesting storylines, only focuses on 4-5 players during coverage and continuously shows waaaay too many commercials and sponsor interviews during the telecast. The viewers/spectators feel zero connection with the players in any way.

1. What’s wrong with the Monday qualifying? Serious question. What should they do different? My entire knowledge of the process: you show up on Monday and it’s an 18 hole tournament to see who gets to play Thursday.

2. Preach

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Whether we agree with it or not, it's not absurd. The PGA Tour and the Euro/Asian/etc Tours work in partnership. This is a competitor.

Those other tours are 'partners' because they all recognized they need to be in order to not fully lose their best players.

LIV tournaments dont currently count towards OWGR points. They may in the future, but not yet. <--just a tidbit worth mentioning in all this.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
I can't imagine why anyone would want to play golf in Saudi Arabia..

1. Its as hot as the cauldrons of hell
2. No beer
3. The cart girls all have to wear a burqa and a head scarf.

Hard pass for me.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't blame the PGA. If another league was taking NFL players in the middle of the season, the NFL would do the same thing. I understand it's team sports vs individual sports, but I don't fault them.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The other tours don’t always play nice. They are sticking together now because they all feel threatened. The Euro tour and it’s players clashed over tournaments in america, or maybe it was the PGA Tour did something penalizing towards the Europeans. Basically made it very difficult for Europeans to play in events on both tours.
I’m probably replying in the wrong spot, sorry

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
1. Its as hot as the cauldrons of hell
2. No beer
3. The cart girls all have to wear a burqa and a head scarf.

Hard pass for me.

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
CourseLocationDate
1Centurion ClubHertfordshire, EnglandJune 9-11
2Pumpkin RidgePortland, OregonJune 30 - July 2
3Trump National Golf Club BedminsterBedminster, New JerseyJuly 29-31
4The InternationalBoston, MassachusettsSeptember 2-4
5Rich Harvest FarmsChicago, IllinoisSeptember 16-18
6StonehillBangkok, ThailandOctober 7-9
7Royal Greens Golf & Country ClubJeddah, Saudi ArabiaOctober 14-16
8Trump National Golf Club DoralMiami, FloridaOctober 27-30

<tbody>
</tbody>
</body>
CourseLocationDate
1Centurion ClubHertfordshire, EnglandJune 9-11
2Pumpkin RidgePortland, OregonJune 30 - July 2
3Trump National Golf Club BedminsterBedminster, New JerseyJuly 29-31
4The InternationalBoston, MassachusettsSeptember 2-4
5Rich Harvest FarmsChicago, IllinoisSeptember 16-18
6StonehillBangkok, ThailandOctober 7-9
7Royal Greens Golf & Country ClubJeddah, Saudi ArabiaOctober 14-16
8Trump National Golf Club DoralMiami, FloridaOctober 27-30

<tbody>
</tbody>

Related note- Rich Harvest Farms is choice. Such a nice course, location, and backstory.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
1. What’s wrong with the Monday qualifying?
It's not so much that there's anything wrong with Monday qualifying. It's more about the people that don't have to Monday-qualify.

For example, John Huston is a below-average Champions Tour player. He's in the field. Plenty of Korn Ferry players are better than him but can only get in if they play their *** off on a Monday (as pointed out previously, at their own expense).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login