OT: why are Starkville property taxes higher than a giraffe’s ***?

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
I know someone in the city of Madison that pays $3,300 for a 3,800 square foot house with a poil.

they pay $5,300 for. 1,300 square foot house in Starkville.

and Starkville still has the same crappy streets and stop lights that they have had for 30 years. Where does this tax payer money go in Starkville?

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Water Dawg

Aug 22, 2012
Double taxes ... city and county

The two most expensive places to live in MS is Stark and Oxford ... then in 3rd is Madison (where dreams go to die) double taxes

FWIW - guy I work with moved to San Diego from Nashville into a 2 bed room apartment built in the 60s -- rent is $4200/Month

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
my taxes in Starkville for 900 sq. Ft townhouse are half the cost of my 3,000 sq ft house on the coast......just insane

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I know someone in the city of Madison that pays $3,300 for a 3,800 square foot house with a poil.

and Starkville still has the same crappy streets and stop lights that they have had for 30 years. Where does this tax payer money go in Starkville?

You're bitching about someone else's taxes? Six Packers have taken bitching to a higher level.

Fact: Typical share of real estate taxes in Mississippi: County: 30%, Schools 50%, City 20%

Ask the school board where they are spending their 50% and the county for its 30%. I assume that Oktibbeha county and the school districts have a larger share of capital projects to keep pace with population growth and growth of the university which drive up taxes. Of course, it could just be rampant greed and graft by the elected officials, right?

Also, has this "someone" filed their homestead exemptions for both counties? Can make a big difference including the over 65 exemption.

In Dallas, TX, I was paying over $10,000 a year with exemptions for my 3850 sf house and the metroplex was infamous for bad roads and infrastructure. It's all relative.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You're bitching about someone else's taxes? Six Packers have taken bitching to a higher level.

Fact: Typical share of real estate taxes in Mississippi: County: 30%, Schools 50%, City 20%

Ask the school board where they are spending their 50% and the county for its 30%. I assume that Oktibbeha county and the school districts have a larger share of capital projects to keep pace with population growth and growth of the university which drive up taxes. Of course, it could just be rampant greed and graft by the elected officials, right?

Also, has this "someone" filed their homestead exemptions for both counties? Can make a big difference including the over 65 exemption.

In Dallas, TX, I was paying over $10,000 a year with exemptions for my 3850 sf house and the metroplex was infamous for bad roads and infrastructure. It's all relative.
Yes, tax fraud can often reduce taxes until you get caught.

Starkville property taxes are high because a lot of property owners aren’t voters. Their car tags are cheap because they want to encourage students to register their cars there. Starkville and oktibbeha county are not nearly as nice as they should be because their leadership has squandered many of the benefits of being a university town.

Jan 4, 2024

You bichin ' 'bout somebody bichin' 'bout dishonest & corrupt government?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Dang near impossible for a young couple to ever get into a house unless they are wealthy to begin with. American dream is practically over.
Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Yes, tax fraud can often reduce taxes until you get caught.

Starkville property taxes are high because a lot of property owners aren’t voters. Their car tags are cheap because they want to encourage students to register their cars there. Starkville and oktibbeha county are not nearly as nice as they should be because their leadership has squandered many of the benefits of being a university town.
And they keep re-electing them.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

soccerdad

Apr 16, 2019
Taxes are relative. Knew a person who boasted about no sales taxes on groceries in TN but property taxes almost double ours. If Starkville can get Summer and open weekends filled with baseball tournaments then that will really help. We just need 3 or 4 new hotels that don’t charge $275 a night.

Reactions: Seinfeld

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Called a friend whose house is in the part Of East Starkville annexed a couple years ago and taxes on his 2200ft went up $1,200 when he got annexed. I didn't ask what he paid total, just what the increase was

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

If your real personality is anything like how you act on here, then all your neighbors have probably paid the city to raise your taxes in an effort to get you to move***

patdog

May 28, 2007
Double taxes ... city and county

The two most expensive places to live in MS is Stark and Oxford ... then in 3rd is Madison (where dreams go to die) double taxes

FWIW - guy I work with moved to San Diego from Nashville into a 2 bed room apartment built in the 60s -- rent is $4200/Month
Everyone who lives in a city pays city and county property taxes. For what it's worth, Madison city, county and school tax millage rates are all pretty average (my house is worth about $260,000 and property taxes total about $1,200). Starkville and Oktibbeha Co. millages aren't too much higher, but the school taxes are significantly higher.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008

Texas has no state income tax. I don’t think TN does either. Not good comparison

Reactions: aTotal360

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Taxes are relative. Knew a person who boasted about no sales taxes on groceries in TN but property taxes almost double ours. If Starkville can get Summer and open weekends filled with baseball tournaments then that will really help. We just need 3 or 4 new hotels that don’t charge $275 a night.
Yep, my wife and I are now in our 8th place of living, and it's like everywhere we've lived has used a slightly different recipe, but they all end up baking the same cake. Some have had high property and vehicle registration, but no state income tax. Some have had lower property and car tags, but ridiculous sales and restaurant tax. We haven't exactly lived anywhere exotic, mind you, but we've been in a few different metro areas across the country, and it's always come out about the same in the end.

The best we've ever had it is honestly where we are now in central Arkansas, just outside the Cabot city limits. Income tax of around 3%, property tax of $2700, and really nothing that's just outrageous.

Reactions: dorndawg

coach66

Mar 5, 2009

My taxes are $8,500 for a 2400ft condo. It’s outrageous but it won’t do anything but go up.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Here’s another look at city taxes. Do y’all fee your city taxes are well spent? I live in a suburb of Memphis and have no problem with what I pay in taxes. Like all governments, I’m sure if I saw everything they spent money on, I’d feel like there is waste, but overall no complaints. Roads are well maintained, adequate police presence, trash/yard debri is picked up on time (and they will pickup basically anything I put at the street), and schools seem solid. I have lived in Memphis city limits in the past, and none of those were the case there.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The best we've ever had it is honestly where we are now in central Arkansas, just outside the Cabot city limits. Income tax of around 3%, property tax of $2700, and really nothing that's just outrageous.
Cabot? Interesting! I loved that town. The best town I've ever lived. Just good people there.

True story from Cabot : first time I went through a drive thru. I saw 12% sales tax. I asked the girl serving if that was right ..... she says, "yeah, George Bush is killing us. ". 😂

Cabot has or had an extra sales tax on drive thrus.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
I’m dumber now than I was before I read this. No one has really answered the question.
I live in Collierville, TN. A 2300 sqft house here valued at $315,000 would pay $1300 Collierville property tax and $2600 Shelby county tax. By going a mile east to Piperton in Fayette county, your property tax would about half but your services would be greatly reduced. Their public schools are not great.
I have access to great services and thus am happy.

Feb 20, 2011
You forgot the sales tax difference 8.25% in Texas, 7% in Mississippi. Besides, we were talking about real estate taxes, not tax equalization.
They’re going to get it somehow.

I moved to TX a few years ago from MS. I pay a lot more in property tax, but don’t pay state income tax. I pay a bit more on sales tax, but don’t pay tax on groceries or certain OTC medicine and other health items. I pay a lot less to renew my car tag (at least compared to Hinds County). It ends up being close. The tax man will get his somehow.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Schools are in the county overall millage isn't it? And the total county milage isnt high for MS.
Kind of. They’re paid to the county, which forwards to the schools. But the schools set their own levy. Bottom line is Starkville property taxes (city+county+schools) are just a little above average for Mississippi, but not much.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Can I ask? I see the comments about welcome to the Democrat mayor, but I have been going to Starkville since 1987. In school from 94-TBD. Lived there from 94-06. It seems like the city is so much better than what I experienced on my recent visits. I’m sure SEC money has a little to do with that but, in 98 the city and university seemed to be at odds with each other and now it seems like Starkville leadership embraces State.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The irony of paying higher taxes to live in the Crown Jewels********* of Mississippi (StarkVegas or Oxpatch) is thick. Both are poster children for how bad off the state truly is if this is the best the state can offer for QOL

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Can I ask? I see the comments about welcome to the Democrat mayor, but I have been going to Starkville since 1987. In school from 94-TBD. Lived there from 94-06. It seems like the city is so much better than what I experienced on my recent visits. I’m sure SEC money has a little to do with that but, in 98 the city and university seemed to be at odds with each other and now it seems like Starkville leadership embraces State
It’s still a good town, but I’m worried about it’s future.

Jan 4, 2024
My bad. Posting before thinking is one of my many bad habits.

Oh, and what part of a giraffe were you referring to that was censored?