Our administration better wake up

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
We already overspend on baseball. Dumping more money into it would just be administrative incompetence. Our ROI in baseball over the last 40 years is terrible. I’m kinda sick of pretending we are some gold standard in that sport when we are arguably the biggest underachievers in the country in it given the head start we had on everyone else and the continued emphasis we’ve placed on it for decades.
Yep. We have a lot of baseball people that love to bend the truth and act like college baseball was invented at MSU which is hilarious as we watched LSU, SC, Florida and Vandy rack up titles.

Hell Mississippi passed us by for most of the Polk II and early Cohen eras. It is utterly ridiculous to spend money on a sport that nobody cares outside of 2 maybe 3 states in the country. Just because one stadium in Oklahoma fills up for a couple of weekends in June doesn’t mean the country cares about the sport. Teams in Cali, Texas and Florida win titles and don’t play at home in front of anybody.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We already overspend on baseball. Dumping more money into it would just be administrative incompetence. Our ROI in baseball over the last 40 years is terrible. I’m kinda sick of pretending we are some gold standard in that sport when we are arguably the biggest underachievers in the country in it given the head start we had on everyone else and the continued emphasis we’ve placed on it for decades.
Thank you. We act like we’re the Alabama of baseball and tout our nice stadium when we have the same amount of national titles as Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, Ole Miss and Georgia. We have won ONE regular season SEC Championship since 1989. But by God, do we feed the other team’s outfielders well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Thank you. We act like we’re the Alabama of baseball and tout our nice stadium when we have the same amount of national titles as Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, Ole Miss and Georgia. We have won ONE regular season SEC Championship since 1989. But by God, do we feed the other team’s outfielders well.
This is true, but that stadium and support is our only advantage. Many of these other places simply have better talent in proximity. That’s why the California schools have won forever.

Of course, when we should have won in 1985, that wasn’t due to a stadium.

Either way, y’all are idiots for wanting to ignore the one program that has netted us the ability to say truthfully that we are the best in the country. So seriously, quit bitching about baseball, we aren’t going to quit supporting that. 17ing morons

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Oklahoma State is one of the best run universities in America and Stillwater is a gem.

Starkville remains a problem for us.
"Oklahoma State University (OSU) has announced a $120 million gift from the T. Boone Pickens Foundation. With this latest gift, Pickens, the legendary oil tycoon who passed away on Sept. 11, 2019, will have given OSU about $650 million in total."

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
This is true, but that stadium and support is our only advantage. Many of these other places simply have better talent in proximity. That’s why the California schools have won forever.

Either way, y’all are idiots for wanting to ignore the one program that has netted us the ability to say truthfully that we are the best in the country. So seriously, quit bitching about baseball, we aren’t going to quit supporting that. 17ing morons

Support it, but call it what it is. A niche sport, not a needle mover.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I love MSU baseball and some of my fondest fan memories are from that sport. I’m also telling you that I would understand if we napalmed Dudy Noble Field tomorrow if it guaranteed that we’d be consistently competitive in football and men’s basketball.

Nobody gives two rat’s behinds about Mississippi State baseball other than Mississippi State baseball fans. And I say that as someone who will follow us this season upcoming season and hope we win like I do in anything else.

Our fans can support whatever they want. The problem arises when your administration prioritizes a sport like that over the ones that actually make a difference. Our national title win in baseball got about as much TV viewership as this year’s Camellia Bowl.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I love MSU baseball and some of my fondest fan memories are from that sport. I’m also telling you that I would napalm Dudy Noble field tomorrow if it guaranteed that we’d be consistently competitive in football and men’s basketball.

Nobody gives two rat’s behinds about Mississippi State baseball other than Mississippi State baseball fans. And I say that as someone who will follow us this season upcoming season and hope we win like I do in anything else.

Our fans can support whatever they want. The problem arises when your administration prioritizes a sport like that over the ones that actually make a difference. Our national title win in baseball got about as much TV viewership as this year’s Camellia Bowl.
This post should be pinned. Perfectly said

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

We were the “best in the country” for a year until our rival who y’all love to poke fun about their storage shed, dumpsters and beer showers in the outfield matched us with a natty. Then we proceeded to follow that up with 2 ****** seasons. But by gawd we fill that place up for SBW. Yeehaw!!!

Let’s keep dumping money so we can be the best in a sport nobody watches!!!

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
On the academic side, both my kids finished top 5 in their classes, respectable ACT scores, well-rounded. Got one card a piece inviting them to spring tour from MSU. OM sent crap every week then every day and then big offer of $. Yes, both went to OM. One in Tupelo and one on line. They still are MSU fans but the PR/Marketing parts really really suck
We need a leadership change from top to bottom. People that don't know any better will argue differently. Our problems are completely about leadership, or lack thereof

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Baseball Has nothing to do with any of this. If we had disbanded the program 10 years ago we would be in the same FB situation we are in now.
Maybe not. But MSU has allowed the mindset to creep in that oh well we will continue to take licks in football and be content as the SEC whipping boy because by gawd we gon be good at baseball. It has become all too often a mentality that drives MSU mediocrity.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Baseball Has nothing to do with any of this. If we had disbanded the program 10 years ago we would be in the same FB situation we are in now.

When NIL was first allowed, our initial plan we rolled out was baseball specific with the idea of “we’ll get around to football and basketball later”.

That’s a MAJOR MAJOR problem.

And it was 100% was a Cohen influenced thing because the leader of that Legacy Group or whatever it was called has been Cohen’s right hand man for almost a decade. And is now his Chief of Staff at Auburn.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Maybe not. But MSU has allowed the mindset to creep in that oh well we will continue to take licks in football and be content as the SEC whipping boy because by gawd we gon be good at baseball. It has become all too often a mentality that drives MSU mediocrity.
I think that’s just an opinion not based on any fact. Everyone at State knows how important FB is. We are just really bad at hiring. Cohen leaving is the best thing to happen to us.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
When NIL was first allowed, our initial plan we rolled out was baseball specific with the idea of “we’ll get around to football and basketball later”.

But it went nowhere and didn’t do anything to FB. It was just Cohen not wanting to deal with NIL and letting a young kid do whatever he wanted.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
But it went nowhere and didn’t do anything to FB. It was just Cohen not wanting to deal with NIL and letting a young kid do whatever he wanted.

Didn’t do anything to football? We basically flat out ignored football NIL for a full year while other schools were jumping head first into it. We have been playing catch up ever since.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Didn’t do anything to football? We basically flat out ignored football NIL for a full year while other schools were jumping head first into it. We have been playing catch up ever since.
We ignored NIL as a whole until early 2022. If van horn hadn’t done his deal we wouldn’t have done anything. It was irrelevant. The guy didn’t take anything away from FB.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We need a leadership change from top to bottom. People that don't know any better will argue differently. Our problems are completely about leadership, or lack thereof
Keenum is far from an idiot.

Before calling on him to leave, I think it’s best we get some facts out on the table about what our plans are, rather than just believing a few posters around here that enjoy bragging on their kids ACT scores (which seem to be skyrocketing everywhere).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Or we just made a lot of bad hires. It could be as simple as that. In fact it is.
No, we made one bad hire, in a glorified interim role after our HOF coach died.

The real problem is we are poor, and trying to compete in an era where there’s never been a stronger connection between wealth / donations and on-field success than right now. And its never going back the other way. Ole Miss isn’t having the success they are because Kiffin is some great recruiter. How many starters have they lost in the past 4 years to other SEC and P5 programs?

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We ignored NIL as a whole until early 2022. If van horn hadn’t done his deal we wouldn’t have done anything. It was irrelevant. The guy didn’t take anything away from FB.

It’s more on Cohen than anyone else. Lee’s plan flopped but the AD constantly trashing NIL at every speaking engagement and interview did us no favors.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Had Leach not died football would be fine right now.

Leach was fine in the short term but the long term cracks were already starting to show. We would’ve been better in 2023 with Leach but beyond this year I would’ve had big concerns. Our lack of recruiting and emphasis on NIL was always going to catch up with us, even with Leach.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
On the academic side, both my kids finished top 5 in their classes, respectable ACT scores, well-rounded. Got one card a piece inviting them to spring tour from MSU. OM sent crap every week then every day and then big offer of $. Yes, both went to OM. One in Tupelo and one on line. They still are MSU fans but the PR/Marketing parts really really suck
Concur on this. My youngest is in the 11th grade and has a 30 composite on the ACT. He gets mail from all around the country, I don't think he's gotten anything from MSU. Both parents are alums and both older siblings are current students.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach was fine in the short term but the long term cracks were already starting to show. We would’ve been better in 2023 with Leach but beyond this year I would’ve had big concerns. Our lack of recruiting and emphasis on NIL was always going to catch up with us, even with Leach.
Yeah, those big cracks I tell you. Would have hated going 7-5 as a baseline then hitting 10-2 or better. Braden Locke, man, he wasn’t promising our anything. And funny how Leach’s portal lands always seemed to work out? So weird.

Our dubmass fanbase didn’t deserve Leach, because of the stuff like you say here. Small-time thinking because he wasn’t crootin them run da bawl playuhs. Yayuh mayun.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Putting money into baseball is STUPID. Ther are only two sports that matter.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Putting money into baseball is STUPID. Ther are only two sports that matter.
Let me know when our fanbase starts supporting football and basketball. I’m talking real support. Not just showing up when we are good in football, and not relying on one guy in basketball to do the heavy lifting.

I’ll be waiting a while.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Going to State baseball games has become more of a social event than anything. It’s the place to be seen and see people. My daughter is at State, and she doesn’t even like baseball, but went to most of the SEC weekend games last year because it was the place to be.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Going to State baseball games has become more of a social event than anything. It’s the place to be seen and see people. My daughter is at State, and she doesn’t even like baseball, but went to most of the SEC weekend games last year because it was the place to be.
Sooooo we should eliminate this????

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
It's been that way forever. I guarantee you half the people in the outfield couldn't tell you the score without looking at the scoreboard. Before they got rid of the rigs, the road behind LF would be packed with people who never even took a look at the field. The difference is now you can see everyone out there.

The big question is, what do you do to make football and basketball become "the place to be"? You don't do that by tearing down baseball and those that support it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Aside from the scholarships everything is tied to winning. Dogs and fire extinguishers don’t matter. Winning does.
Kind of making an exciting culture that looks fun to be apart of. Selmon is trying but it also takes winning. It takes all of it. Cohen didn't get the off the field stuff. Then our good coach died and Keenum did the quick fix. Which in turn hurt us at the wrong time. You have to get something people want to be apart something with some fun, moxy, giordos, and winning. Takes

Reactions: Mjoelner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Kind of making an exciting culture that looks fun to be apart of. Selmon is trying but it also takes winning. It takes all of it. Cohen didn't get the off the field stuff. Then our good coach died and Keenum did the quick fix. Which in turn hurt us at the wrong time. You have to get something people want to be apart something with some fun, moxy, giordos, and winning. Takes
Good synopsis. I was a Cohen fan but it’s true he didn’t get the big part beyond hiring coaches. Just really sucks that Leach died.

I like what Selmon does but Lebby has to win to make it work. Winning is all

Byrne knew how to do both

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We were the “best in the country” for a year until our rival who y’all love to poke fun about their storage shed, dumpsters and beer showers in the outfield matched us with a natty. Then we proceeded to follow that up with 2 ****** seasons. But by gawd we fill that place up for SBW. Yeehaw!!!

Let’s keep dumping money so we can be the best in a sport nobody watches!!!
We don't have bleachers so it doesn't look like **** when no one is the on Wednesday's. Whoopidie do. Our elitest baseball fans think they have it all in the dude and did with cohen running things with his cigar club buddies. Those idiots care more about the new dude than they do winning and fan support. The coonasses get it. The bears up north get it. Instead we want to tout the lounges and how exclusive club it is.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

And it was 100% was a Cohen influenced thing because the leader of that Legacy Group or whatever it was called has been Cohen’s right hand man for almost a decade. And is now his Chief of Staff at Auburn.
Indeed. 💯

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login