Our administration better wake up

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
You know that used to sell out very early. I went to the Bowling Green game this year and was able to pick up a wheel after the game. Must have increased production, they had about 30 of them in there
When I didn't place my order, I ended up with only jalepeno cheddar

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
We are just happy to keep it "in the black".

See other threads
Serious Sas GIF by Channel 7

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Well, when its happening right before your eyes I wouldn't call it panic. I'd call it reality. And if you can't see it, you would have made a really great lookout on the Titanic.
At least the Titanic had a band******************

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
On the academic side, both my kids finished top 5 in their classes, respectable ACT scores, well-rounded. Got one card a piece inviting them to spring tour from MSU. OM sent crap every week then every day and then big offer of $. Yes, both went to OM. One in Tupelo and one on line. They still are MSU fans but the PR/Marketing parts really really suck
it's been 10 years now and my child was top of his class and almost perfect
ACT and visited State either Jr year or early Sr year and never got a single letter from State while UM sent something every single day. And he never visited or had any intention of attending UM, and thankfully didn't.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If I ever wanna feel like **** about Mississippi State all you have to do is read this page.

Oh yeah Ole Miss won today. That's what it is.

Reactions: L4Dawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Dumping money into a sport that Football pays for that may only exist as club status in the future isn’t very smart.
Dumping 80% of your money into a sport to get 5-6 wins isn’t very smart either. At least I don’t think it is. The price to play football has skyrocketed in the past 12 months. Things have changed very quickly. Leach’s last season was probably the last season where NIL/transfer portal wasn’t at full tilt. Keep in mind those results are built from the 6-12 months prior. IMO, it’s continually going to spiral in the wrong direction for all the non-blue bloods. We will become more and more of a farm system for the “haves”. Even if we do go all-in, how much money do we legitimately have to do so and how much will that money do for us? 7 wins?

For some reason our fans and media can’t take an honest look at recruiting. The biggest immediate impact player we got was a center from a directional school in Texas. Glad we got him, but adding him isn’t bumping the needle. Adding him doesn’t truly make us better. It’s probably just keeps us where we are in terms of talent on the OL. We should add some additional offensive threats by the end of the cycle, but you know as well as I do, there’s a 50/50 chance (or less) these HS kids will do anything at the school they sign with.

Football “pays the bills” because of the TV contract, which is admittedly yuge. If it wasn’t for the ESPN/SECN deal, we’d likely be in bad shape. We just added 2 more blue bloods to the league. That’s not going to help us with wins and losses either. Lebby isn’t going to turn water into wine.

IMO, baseball and women’s basketball are the only 2 sports that we have a chance to be legit contenders in.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dumping 80% of your money into a sport to get 5-6 wins isn’t very smart either. At least I don’t think it is. The price to play football has skyrocketed in the past 12 months. Things have changed very quickly. Leach’s last season was probably the last season where NIL/transfer portal wasn’t at full tilt. Keep in mind those results are built from the 6-12 months prior. IMO, it’s continually going to spiral in the wrong direction for all the non-blue bloods. We will become more and more of a farm system for the “haves”. Even if we do go all-in, how much money do we legitimately have to do so and how much will that money do for us? 7 wins?

For some reason our fans and media can’t take an honest look at recruiting. The biggest immediate impact player we got was a center from a directional school in Texas. Glad we got him, but adding him isn’t bumping the needle. Adding him doesn’t truly make us better. It’s probably just keeps us where we are in terms of talent on the OL. We should add some additional offensive threats by the end of the cycle, but you know as well as I do, there’s a 50/50 chance (or less) these HS kids will do anything at the school they sign with.

Football “pays the bills” because of the TV contract, which is admittedly yuge. If it wasn’t for the ESPN/SECN deal, we’d likely be in bad shape. We just added 2 more blue bloods to the league. That’s not going to help us with wins and losses either. Lebby isn’t going to turn water into wine.

IMO, baseball and women’s basketball are the only 2 sports that we have a chance to be legit contenders in.
Get them facts out of here, we gotta raise money like Bama mane*****

I disagree about Leach though, he would have competed

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I am mildly surprised at the voiced displeasure toward Keenum, who seems to have brought stability and sustained growth to MSU that hadn't been there for many years

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am mildly surprised at the voiced displeasure toward Keenum, who seems to have brought stability and sustained growth to MSU that hadn't been there for many years
Like I said before, in 2009 he was a fresh cup of coffee - the answer to our problems. A lot changes in 14 years, but damn, we have not learned our lesson

17 the shlt honestly, all the young know it alls can have it, I don’t know the answer and not sure if I care

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

It’s not 2017 anymore. We’ve had no stability and no growth in the last 6 years.

We did grow… then we stopped growing. Men’s basketball is the only major sport where we are better off now than we were when Keenum hired Cohen.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It’s not 2017 anymore. We’ve had no stability and no growth in the last 6 years.

We did grow… then we stopped growing. Men’s basketball is the only major sport where we are better off now than we were when Keenum hired Cohen.
Baseball?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Exactly. What has been done with the baseball weekend experience needs to be replicated for football & baskeball. We have thug brawls occurring outside our football stadium, while the in-game experience is like watching Hulu with ads.
I went to the Gonzaga-JSU game a couple weeks ago, and it was amazing how well done everything was. But totally replicable too.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Only a handful of football teams have been ranked number one and we've played in a final four. Move along. People like you hold back this program. You're the John Cohen of fans.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We’ve missed the SEC Tournament two years in a row and don’t have high expectations for this year. Our national championship, while awesome, gave us precisely zero staying power.
Had we not won the title and OM had won it in 2022, you people would have ended it all. That title is the biggest thing in MSU sports history.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
Only a handful of football teams have been ranked number one and we've played in a final four. Move along. People like you hold back this program. You're the John Cohen of fans.
Most of the teams in the SEC have been ranked #1 at some point(except KY, SC and Vandy).

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Back to the topic,

We COULD accept that this new NIL world "is what it is "and makes recruiting even more difficult for us. That's easy to understand. However we see OM recruiting well, using the portal well and winning. So........logically......State fans feel like we should be able to do the same as we are similarly situated as OM.

However the deal is, we have always scrapped and clawed in recruiting. Our current problem is the last three coaches (in 5 years) didn't recruit at a high level. PLUS, as noted we were slow to NIL. So, the question remains, can we compete in this new NIL world? Is Lebby the answer? WHo knows!

WHat I do know and what is cause for concern......OM has always been able to buy recruiting classes. You saw it with Brewer and Freeze especially. Difference in today and yesterday, the NCAA was there to hammer their *** back to the ground for buying players and send their coach packing. Well, not any longer. THey can use their "network" and Lane will be there as long as he wants to be there. I hope like hell Florida or the NFL come calling soon.

I hope like hell State fans have deeper pockets than I realize. Also, the athletic department is really ready to get moving on football from facilities to recruiting. Why is our recruiting budget so little? Why do we share an indoor facility with baseball? Why is the lower level of our football stadium, the best seats in the house, not changed in 100 years?

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Didn’t stick with announcers or JWS was in the booth with them. They kept referring to UM as Mississippi.

Reactions: wdawg44

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
it's been 10 years now and my child was top of his class and almost perfect
ACT and visited State either Jr year or early Sr year and never got a single letter from State while UM sent something every single day. And he never visited or had any intention of attending UM, and thankfully didn't.
This happened to both of my kids. They were Top 10 and had not perfect but damn good ACT scores. One graduated high school in 2016, and the other in 2020. Both were going to State anyway, but I kept telling them Ole Miss is doing it right.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Back to the topic,

We COULD accept that this new NIL world "is what it is "and makes recruiting even more difficult for us. That's easy to understand. However we see OM recruiting well, using the portal well and winning. So........logically......State fans feel like we should be able to do the same as we are similarly situated as OM.

However the deal is, we have always scrapped and clawed in recruiting. Our current problem is the last three coaches (in 5 years) didn't recruit at a high level. PLUS, as noted we were slow to NIL. So, the question remains, can we compete in this new NIL world? Is Lebby the answer? WHo knows!

WHat I do know and what is cause for concern......OM has always been able to buy recruiting classes. You saw it with Brewer and Freeze especially. Difference in today and yesterday, the NCAA was there to hammer their *** back to the ground for buying players and send their coach packing. Well, not any longer. THey can use their "network" and Lane will be there as long as he wants to be there. I hope like hell Florida or the NFL come calling soon.

I hope like hell State fans have deeper pockets than I realize. Also, the athletic department is really ready to get moving on football from facilities to recruiting. Why is our recruiting budget so little? Why do we share an indoor facility with baseball? Why is the lower level of our football stadium, the best seats in the house, not changed in 100 years?
Agree on Ole Miss, but I don't and never have bought this line about Leach not recruiting well. The problem was Arnett! On both sides of the ball. We are not in as bad of shape as some of you think. We just had a 5-7 season where we all see we could have won 2-3 more games with a competent coach, and we DID beat a Top 10 team. How did we not have talent? We did, but it was playing out of position for a group of prideful know-it-alls like coach34. Plus, the portal.

Reactions: Maroon13

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Concur on this. My youngest is in the 11th grade and has a 30 composite on the ACT. He gets mail from all around the country, I don't think he's gotten anything from MSU. Both parents are alums and both older siblings are current students.

We're saving on paper by assuming we'll retain our legacy students.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We're saving on paper by assuming we'll retain our legacy students.
Well it ain't working. I know tons of alumni in Alabama who send their kids to Auburn or wherever to follow 'franz' or whatever other dbaggy term the sheep use these days. And obviously many of the SPS kids are headed to Ole Miss or MC it appears.

BUT.........I am curious where our record enrollment is coming from, if things are so terrible. We've talked about the negative, what about the good?

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Don't fool yourself. They are still cheating, probably worse than before. They can launder a whole lot of illicit funds within the guise of the NIL since they have lawyers on the payroll. When it comes to lying, cheating and stealing The Flagship wrote the book on "How to cheat in plain sight"
Cheating no longer exists in CFB. It's just too easy to break the rules now so it's either pony up and stay in the game or become the prison *****. I'm inclined to believe we're the latter.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Well it ain't working. I know tons of alumni in Alabama who send their kids to Auburn or wherever to follow 'franz' or whatever other dbaggy term the sheep use these days. And obviously many of the SPS kids are headed to Ole Miss or MC it appears.

BUT.........I am curious where our record enrollment is coming from, if things are so terrible. We've talked about the negative, what about the good?
I would make the argument that our "record enrollment" has been a factor to the issues we are having. You see, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get students so we have a big number, but they aren't graduating.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would make the argument that our "record enrollment" has been a factor to the issues we are having. You see, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get students so we have a big number, but they aren't graduating.
I remember Portera being a big advocate of using the MS JUCOs to take those students, and preserve MSU for the better students. Not sure what happened after that, I do seem to remember Keenum moving away from it, but not sure if I am remembering that correctly. At the time, seemed like most people were for it because all we cared about in them days was building Starkville and MSU and sports by any means possible. And we've done that. Perhaps it is time to tighten the belt a bit.

But at the end of the day, what does this say about higher education in general? It's all based on perception. What does McConaughey say in Wolf of Wall Street, fugazi.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
In line with much of what has been discussed, has there been any movement on the new strategic plan? The online version (which can be found here: MSU Strategic Plan) seems thin, especially the "Initiatives" section, which includes these components:

Bulldog Experience
Bulldog Mentoring Program
Campus Master Plan
College of Interdisciplinary Studies
Communicators’ Brand Hub
Employee Development Program
General Education revitalization
Meridian Health Sciences (Physician’s Assistant, Nursing, and Healthcare Administration programs)
New approach for outreach & engagement
New internal collaboration opportunities for faculty
Strategic Enrollment Plan
Support for entrepreneurship and technology commercialization

Perhaps athletics is a part of the "Bulldog Experience?" (insert jokes as appropriate), I'm not sure.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login