Our administration better wake up

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
College enrollment is down significantly since Covid. About 70% of the decline attributed to men. Men are more interested in sports. Will it matter that a larger and larger percentage of the student body is female? Public regionals, depending on how much debt they have, could face some difficult choices. They pretty much all lose money on athletics, don't have a lot of major donors and legislators prefer spending money on buildings rather than operating costs.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
This link might help shed some light on that: MSU Enrollment Data
Some things that stick out

In 2018, there was an Engineering program that had 10 new students with an average ACT of 29.4.
In 2022, the enrollment doubled to 20, but the average ACT dropped to 23.5

Biological Sciences majors (usually Pre-Med types) dropped from 365 freshmen with a 25.3 to 269 freshmen with a 24.9. The ACT drop isn't horrible, but we are losing great students.

Accounting is doing things right. Less students but smarter students. That is the key to what the overall university needs to do.

ACT scores are down in all but one Engineering discipline. Down 8.5% in students as well.

There has been one Art major enter as a freshman in the last five years.

Every College/School but Education has dropped in average ACT score for freshmen. Education stayed exactly the same at 24.2.

Reactions: Mr. Cook and patdog

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Well, when its happening right before your eyes I wouldn't call it panic. I'd call it reality. And if you can't see it, you would have made a really great lookout on the Titanic.
Here’s my take. It’s very much true. However any publicity is good publicity in OMs eyes. That’s how they’ve always been. They thrive when people are talking about them. A crap ton of that publicity comes from our fanbase because we literally always have to compare ourselves to them. And before anyone says it, I know, our success is tied to them. But that doesn’t mean we always have to acknowledge it. I prefer to ignore them at every opportunity.

but I definitely knew there’d be a post like this while watching that game yesterday.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Dump money into baseball. Football is a lost cause. We can’t keep up with the joneses in that arena.
Or…. Dump money into the 2nd most popular college sport and the sport that has our best coach on campus. If we can’t compete in football in the SEC might as well lead the way in basketball while everyone else minus UK is sinking all their eggs into football.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Next year is going to be tough to stomach… even if state is improved, OM will open as a top 10 team and legitimately have a shot at the playoffs next year. I have not looked at their schedule but talent won’t be an issue next year.
Their schedule is set up for them again. It will actually be a bad season if they dont make the playoffs. This maybe making the playoffs is bull. They have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC and will be even more talented next season with what they return plus the best transfer class in the country. So get ready for them to make the playoffs. They have to completely **** the bed to not make it.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Their schedule is set up for them again. It will actually be a bad season if they dont make the playoffs. This maybe making the playoffs is bull. They have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC and will be even more talented next season with what they return plus the best transfer class in the country. So get ready for them to make the playoffs. They have to completely **** the bed to not make it.
I just looked at it. Avoiding Bama and Texas is good for sure… but at LSU, Oklahoma and Georgia won’t be an easy stretch. And then a trip to Florida but that does not look as daunting as normal I guess. I could see them going 11-1 but I could see 2-4 losses too.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Barring an epic collapse, they need one of Georgia, LSU or Oklahoma to be a stone cold lock. Get two of them and they are hosting.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
I would make the argument that our "record enrollment" has been a factor to the issues we are having. You see, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get students so we have a big number, but they aren't graduating.
We’ve had record degrees awarded every year for the last several years, so this is not an issue.
Our record enrollment was mainly due to graduate students that returned to college during the pandemic. Many in the online MBA and education majors.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Or…. Dump money into the 2nd most popular college sport and the sport that has our best coach on campus. If we can’t compete in football in the SEC might as well lead the way in basketball while everyone else minus UK is sinking all their eggs into football.
I’m all for this. It’s controversial, and MSU has too many sheep that can’t think differently, so it won’t be done.

And we don’t have to give up on football. We just need to moneyball it. Find the next Leach or similar.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Barring an epic collapse, they need one of Georgia, LSU or Oklahoma to be a stone cold lock. Get two of them and they are hosting.
They’ll beat LSU and/or Oklahoma. And it won’t be an upset when they do. Not beating Georgia though.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Some things that stick out

In 2018, there was an Engineering program that had 10 new students with an average ACT of 29.4.
In 2022, the enrollment doubled to 20, but the average ACT dropped to 23.5

Biological Sciences majors (usually Pre-Med types) dropped from 365 freshmen with a 25.3 to 269 freshmen with a 24.9. The ACT drop isn't horrible, but we are losing great students.

Accounting is doing things right. Less students but smarter students. That is the key to what the overall university needs to do.

ACT scores are down in all but one Engineering discipline. Down 8.5% in students as well.

There has been one Art major enter as a freshman in the last five years.

Every College/School but Education has dropped in average ACT score for freshmen. Education stayed exactly the same at 24.2.

There is a lot of information that isn’t there, however. By way of example, it doesn’t give insight on recruiting strategies geographically. We might have insights as to intended target areas, but this information doesn’t let us know if MSU is hitting the intended markets.

I wonder if MSU would do well to move away from ACT to SAT to better compare itself against other peers and peer-plusses.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
There is a lot of information that isn’t there, however. By way of example, it doesn’t give insight on recruiting strategies geographically. We might have insights as to intended target areas, but this information doesn’t let us know if MSU is hitting the intended markets.

I wonder if MSU would do well to move away from ACT to SAT to better compare itself against other peers and peer-plusses.
The ACT is too prevalent in Mississippi to move to that. Right now only about 7% of freshmen submit SAT scores and they’re all from out of state.
Some of those stats are also misleading. Art majors typically come in as undeclared art majors and then move into concentrations after a year.
The average ACT score peaked a few years ago but it’s been steady the last few years and is still higher than OM

Reactions: Mr. Cook and patdog

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The ACT is too prevalent in Mississippi to move to that. Right now only about 7% of freshmen submit SAT scores and they’re all from out of state.
Interesting. This might lead to comparison information that Mississippi wouldn't like to be out publicly.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’d say we have dumped plenty into basketball. Between facilities, NIL and the fact we will pay Jan’s whatever he wants. Not sure what more we can do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d say we have dumped plenty into basketball. Between facilities, NIL and the fact we will pay Jan’s whatever he wants. Not sure what more we can do.
Would have probably needed a new arena with suites to do it right. But, we don't have the fanbase to show up to games, so it's not really a feasible option. I think we're just going to have to the do the best we can, right now (like you said) and hope we get lucky and string together a run, which would build the fanbase hopefully.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
You can place your order at the MAFES Cheese Store. I recommend the Vallagret

MAFES Cheese
Vallagret is sold out. If you want that, you've got to get it well before Christmas. I'm working on 1 wheel and have and have 1 unopened if the price is right. No low ball offers. I know what I got!

Reactions: Mr. Cook

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Don't fool yourself. They are still cheating, probably worse than before. They can launder a whole lot of illicit funds within the guise of the NIL since they have lawyers on the payroll. When it comes to lying, cheating and stealing The Flagship wrote the book on "How to cheat in plain sight"
And they have the PR machine to cover / cover up whatever is necessary to promote their brand. How many times did you see a mention of the signee showing up in a Lambo. You know that'll turn a recruit's head! I've wondered if that Lambo was actually even his. I think that it's more likely that someone either let him drive theirs or rented one for him for a short period of time as a part of a "NIL deal" with some legal / tax advice to show a value of $25 per day for use of a car. They've always been one step ahead of us in the grey area between what is and is not allowed - and that's what needs to change. We have to think that way going forward just to keep up.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Ole Miss is kicking our ***.

Athletically
Academically
Overall Perception

All three are big Ole Miss advantages now. And they are giving Mississippi students a lot more scholarship money.

Keenum has to fix that part in January. There should be an announcement that we are matching all in-state scholarship offers. That one is simple. There should not be an in-state student that chooses between State and Ole Miss because Ole Miss offers more academic scholarship money. No excuse for that and people should be fired.

Everything else will take some time, but we are way behind. If college football keeps going the direction that I and many others believe it is - our relationship is going to be less Alabama-Auburn and more Arkansas-Arkansas State.
All this because Ole Miss won 10 and went to a NY6 Bowl? Our fans are the worst.

Look, OM does offer more scholarship money. Both of my kids had free rides to Ole Miss if they wanted them. One went to MC, and one went to State, and both cost me money. But OM is doing that because they have a problem with in-state students. Our inbound ACT scores are higher than theirs, at least it was the last time I saw the numbers.

"Overall perception" is subjective. It hasn't been too long since they were a laughingstock and we had the better "perception." This year ended a 13 year bowl streak for us. We just kicked their asses on the field last year.

This stuff changes year by year, cycle by cycle. And our fans overreact whenever it's their turn. My advice is to chill out. It's gonna be okay.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Going back to football, 2024 is going to be a big year. It will be tough but at least need to be .500 and not just stop the bleeding in terms of attendance and support but gain some ground back. Frankly I’m concerned the admin is missing the boat on that right now the way they’ve handled season renewals, the parking changes etc. for 2024.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Can someone direct me to the Sixpackspeak site. Someone how i've stumbled into Yancypackspeak or 2ZimasandXanniespeak

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

That’s not good.

There were a bunch of folks with at least (old ACT point system) 27s when I was an undergrad.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
$50M says "hey"******

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login