Prepare for a melt

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's bad when the players hate what we're doing on offense. We're already limited without kids hauling *** because they don't like what the offense is doing. Lose enough kids and recruits notice.
So kids at every school must hate what they do on offense because there are plenty in the portal from a lot of teams. In the past, kids would get frustrated with football related stuff and either work through it or transfer, and sit out a year and finish at that school. Now, every time a kid gets frustrated, he can bounce without any repercussions, so it happens more often. Post NIL, every player who thinks that they've done something of note will be shopping themselves around trying to get paid.

The good news is that there are a few talking out of both sides of their mouth on here when they assert that all of our RBs are leaving, thus implying that someone in the CFB wants them, while at the same time claiming that Leach is ruining RBs. I find it highly unlikely that other college football teams want seasoned RBs who don't know how to play ball, and that they will give up a roster spot and NIL $ to get them.

Reactions: Dawgg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Let's be a first mover and do something different. Buy out the staff. Replace with a bargain price/hungry no-name staff and take all the savings and buy the best players we can. We don't have the luxury of well-funding both aspects. The last I checked, the players still have to make the plays - so if I'm going to go all in on one or the other, it's going to be players.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So kids at every school must hate what they do on offense because there are plenty in the portal from a lot of teams. In the past, kids would get frustrated with football related stuff and either work through it or transfer, and sit out a year and finish at that school. Now, every time a kid gets frustrated, he can bounce without any repercussions, so it happens more often. Post NIL, every player who thinks that they've done something of note will be shopping themselves around trying to get paid.

The good news is that there are a few talking out of both sides of their mouth on here when they assert that all of our RBs are leaving, thus implying that someone in the CFB wants them, while at the same time claiming that Leach is ruining RBs. I find it highly unlikely that other college football teams want seasoned RBs who don't know how to play ball, and that they will give up a roster spot and NIL $ to get them.
Yep.

RBs all over America not playing for a man named Mike Leach are TRANSFERRING. Smoke from UK. Is that the "dreaded" Mike Leach System?

Dallas:

Pollard- 12 carries per game
ZEK- 15.

They days of RBs in the NFL having to carry the ball 20 to 30 times per game have come to an end.

This is just people looking to blame somebody other than the fact that our NIL is not and WILL NEVER BE what most will.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I'm gonna call BS on your last paragraph. The NFL expects RBs to catch passes out of the back field. That doesn't happen at a lot of run first programs.
Exactly. The NFL is a passing league now and the better you are at catching the ball, the better shot you have at the NFL.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
The one that shows the NFL I can do all things asked of me.

The NFL is changing.
The NFL has changed, it’s a WR league presently. They want RBS to run for a 1000 or more yards catch 3-5 passes out of the backfield and block which has been that way for years. In leaches system a RB isn’t expected to run for a lot of yards and pass blocking isn’t a real priority since since 90% of passes are quick throws within a 5 yard radius and rarely throw deep, especially with Will at QB. Players like Johnson and Marks will have a difficult time making an NFL roster in Leaches system. In fact almost all of Leaches QBS don’t fair well in the NFL, low draft picks and if they make it don’t last very long, exception is Minchew.

• Haha
Reactions: Mack Rebennack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The NFL has changed, it’s a WR league presently. They want RBS to run for a 1000 or more yards catch 3-5 passes out of the backfield and block which has been that way for years. In leaches system a RB isn’t expected to run for a lot of yards and pass blocking isn’t a real priority since since 90% of passes are quick throws within a 5 yard radius and rarely throw deep, especially with Will at QB. Players like Johnson and Marks will have a difficult time making an NFL roster in Leaches system. In fact almost all of Leaches QBS don’t fair well in the NFL, low draft picks and if they make it don’t last very long, exception is Minchew.
Go watch film. Our RBs do a ton of pass blocking. That is not even a debatable point.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yet in every game I see them pass block.

Fact is $$$$$$$$$$$ will pull players from MSU just like it's happening to BAMA. You can come up with whatever you want to blame Leach etc..... It's not going to change the facts of what is happening.

It's happening to every team in the NCAA. OSU lost their starting QB. Clemson... Starting QB. Bama starting OL... Starting WRs... etc.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Rosey says DJ and Woody are considering hitting the portal and should find out about 1 today (that's probably bad news).

Oklahoma is courting DJ. How can you just tamper with players now? Total BS. Where is the NCAA???

Of course our offense is not an offense any RB with a possible NFL future would want to take part. If they both transfer what a blow when it looks like we should have a good team next year. We can move on from RaRa. Probably won't be able to recover if DJ and Woody both transfer.
I do recall posting about this a month or two ago

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yet in every game I see them pass block.

Fact is $$$$$$$$$$$ will pull players from MSU just like it's happening to BAMA. You can come up with whatever you want to blame Leach etc..... It's not going to change the facts of what is happening.

It's happening to every team in the NCAA. OSU lost their starting QB. Clemson... Starting QB. Bama starting OL... Starting WRs... etc.
Bingo. These guys are putting their name in the portal to leverage a pay day. By either their current school or another school.

it's ridiculous.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
If a running back wants to show the NFL you can run the ball, catch the ball out of the back field and most of all block, State is where you need to be. As a running back you will get all you need to create a highlight film.
And how many RB's has Leach coached that are now in the NFL?

Reactions: kired

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Rosey says DJ and Woody are considering hitting the portal and should find out about 1 today (that's probably bad news).

Oklahoma is courting DJ. How can you just tamper with players now? Total BS. Where is the NCAA???

Of course our offense is not an offense any RB with a possible NFL future would want to take part. If they both transfer what a blow when it looks like we should have a good team next year. We can move on from RaRa. Probably won't be able to recover if DJ and Woody both transfer.

I would like your definition of "won't be able to recover" so we can know if you were right. Price is solid. From what I saw this year he needs to protect the ball more when he carries and get better at pass blocking.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I think you just changed the argument. Your original premise was that the running back skills MSU develops aren't attractive to the NFL. I submitted that they are. Now you countered with no running backs want to come here. We have always had good running backs. Until that changes, I'll not be jumping from the ledge. The running back at Ole Miss was not highly recruited either. It comes across as you just being negative on Leach, but I may be wrong on that.

I'm not changing the argument. The way Leach runs our offense is not attractive to most Runningbacks.

Reactions: lasher8

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I would like your definition of "won't be able to recover" so we can know if you were right. Price is solid. From what I saw this year he needs to protect the ball more when he carries and get better at pass blocking.
Well going from having everyone back to losing both your starting RBs which are vital to our offense and our best WR, we went from possibly having a dream season to probably similar to what we had this year.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I'm curious about our latest OL commit. He's rated around .8300. I know much more goes into consideration, but don't think I've ever seen any commit rated that low at MSU. Who knows though. Maybe he'll be another Elgton Jenkins.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Bingo. These guys are putting their name in the portal to leverage a pay day. By either their current school or another school.

it's ridiculous.

Our RBs have 1 year left to play. After that, NFL, or a minor league. They have 1 NCAA year to capitalize on NIL.

Either we have it, or we don't. DJ has a kid. What would you do? This isn't about Leach. This is about $$$

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Well going from having everyone back to losing both your starting RBs which are vital to our offense and our best WR, we went from possibly having a dream season to probably similar to what we had this year.
So your version of "won't be able to recover" is we might have another 8 win season? We've had back to back 8+ win seasons about 8 times since 1902. Another 8 win season will not be a death knell (or nail if the board pre-Madonnas prefer)

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm not changing the argument. The way Leach runs our offense is not attractive to most Runningbacks.
That was not your original argument. Go back and read your first post. Your original argument was that Leach doesn't prepare RBs. You also stated angst over losing these unprepared RBs to other teams in CFB via the portal who are obviously looking for unprepared RBs. I'm not picking on you, just trying to get you to see the flawed logic.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And how many RB's has Leach coached that are now in the NFL?
That doesn't matter. It's a BS argument. How many RBs does MSU have in the NFL right now? 1... Kylin Hill. Coached by Leach who helped him learn to catch. Let me guess. He doesn't count right?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

I'm not talking about scrubs with limited playing time. Name all the starting players in the SEC jumping ship. Especially the leading WR and RB. It's not happening as much as some think.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This is not about anything other than young men trying to get the most dollars they can. They hear about what their buddies may or may not be making at other schools and they want a bigger slice of our NIL pie.'
If this really concerns you, GIVE GIVE GIVE to our NIL fund. Otherwise, you just have to hope we can make it work with the little money we got to pay these boys. Because, in comparison to our SEC brethren, it's pretty paltry.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
That doesn't matter. It's a BS argument. How many RBs does MSU have in the NFL right now? 1... Kylin Hill. Coached by Leach who helped him learn to catch. Let me guess. He doesn't count right?
Hahahahahah. Kylin Hill is not in the NFL cause of Mike Leach

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We aren't ever going to run the ball. Losing a RB isn't as big a deal here because of that. We've got 4 other guys on the roster to run 15 running plays a game.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
We aren't ever going to run the ball. Losing a RB isn't as big a deal here because of that. We've got 4 other guys on the roster to run 15 running plays a game.
Yeah the guys that lead our offense in the Egg Bowl and are the reason we won it and the Auburn game are definitely not going to be big losses. Without them and our defense we are 6-6 right now.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm not talking about scrubs with limited playing time. Name all the starting players in the SEC jumping ship. Especially the leading WR and RB. It's not happening as much as some think.
Why are we limiting it to the SEC? Why are we not allowed to point out the Clemson and OSU starting QB?

But ok. Starting OL from bama. WRs from Bama. Every friggin WR from Ark. Jackson, and Thompson. Ark starting DB.. Slusher.

How many do you need before it's no longer "woe is me and MSU" and all about the $$$$$

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Hahahahahah. Kylin Hill is not in the NFL cause of Mike Leach
BS. Kylin was with the Green Bay Packers until a few weeks ago when he was released because he was an issue in their locker room!

Now you are just straight up not telling the truth.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur was surprisingly candid in his explanation of the decision to cut running back Kylin Hill this week, indicating that Hill didn’t conduct himself the way the Packers expect of their players.

“Being a member of the Green Bay Packers, it’s a privilege,” LaFleur said. “There are standards and expectations that are placed on every member of this team that we expect guys to live up to.

Asked if the decision to cut Hill was less about what kind of football player he is than about other things away from the field, LaFleur answered, “Yeah, I would say so.”

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I would be extremely sad to lose DJ. He is a punishing runner and I love him in our offense. That said, this is the new reality. We are going to get raided by the teams with deeper pockets.

I'm not indulging in paranoia or fear-mongering, but I think it's reasonable to consider that the way this is going, some schools will be left behind and we are a likely candidate.

Reactions: Ibdancin

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

OK? Why go to that **** show?…

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
17 it. Let’s just fire Leach and hire some Mississippi high school coach who runs the Wing T and maybe some of you guys will be happy. Perhaps that guy who got fired after fighting a parent in the stands. Y’all can probably relate to that guy. And I bet he shows a lot of fire and passion on the sidelines. He’ll probably take the job for $80,000 so we can spend the rest of that money on our NIL collective. Perfect!

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yeah the guys that lead our offense in the Egg Bowl and are the reason we won it and the Auburn game are definitely not going to be big losses. Without them and our defense we are 6-6 right now.

Wait. So when we run it... it's not Leach that gets the credit! Oh the ED is strong with you!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Here are a few. Interestingly enough, the biggest group overall in the TP seems to be WRs. It's OK to be unhappy about our players leaving, but to pretend that it is a Leach thing is just bias shining through. You don't like Leach. I get it. That's fine too.

Devin Leary(starter), NC State,
DJ Uiagalelei(5*), Clemson,
Nick Evers(4*), Oklahoma,
Brennan Armstrong(starter), Virginia,
Spencer Sanders(starter), Oklahoma State,
Hudson Card(4*), Texas,
Jeff Sims(starter;4*), Georgia Tech,
Drew Pyne(starter), Notre Dame,
RB Nay'Quan Wright(4*), Florida,
WR Dorian Singer(2nd in PAC12), Arizona,
WRs Dont'e Thornton(#4 receiver) and Seven McGee, Oregon,
WR De'Zhaun Stribling, Washington State (leading receiver),
RB Kobe Pace(#2 running back), Clemson,
WR Traeshon Holden(4*), Alabama,
WR Elijah Spencer(#1 receiver), Charlotte
WR Jimmy Horn Jr.(14.3yds/reception), USF
OLB Dasan McCullough (4*/48 tackles/4 sacks), Indiana
CB Fentrell Cypress II, Virginia
CB JQ Hardaway(4*), Cincinnati
DL Tunmise Adeleye (injured but good), Texas A&M
LB Mason Cobb (96 tackles/13 TFL/2 sacks/int/forced fumble), Oklahoma State

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is not about anything other than young men trying to get the most dollars they can. They hear about what their buddies may or may not be making at other schools and they want a bigger slice of our NIL pie.'
If this really concerns you, GIVE GIVE GIVE to our NIL fund. Otherwise, you just have to hope we can make it work with the little money we got to pay these boys. Because, in comparison to our SEC brethren, it's pretty paltry.
This is what this is. My understanding is that the bulldog initiative is mainly active in paying to keep players right now more so than working with recruits. I'm sure Johnson and Marks heard what other players were getting to stay and felt like they were not properly compensated and felt like they would not be unless there was a credible threat they would leave for more money. I would love to keep both of them, but I feel like we really need Johnson. Johnson and Price could probably replace what Johnson and Marks did last year. Don't think Marks and Price could.

Reactions: wrapit
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login