QB position next year.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I’ve been a Rogers defender since his Freshman year, but I think at this point he’s reached his ceiling. He is who he is. I appreciate him being a good leader and steward of our football program, but Leach has to hit the portal for a QB since it does not seem any of the underclassmen are ready to take the job.

Leach has done well with transfer QBs before, (Costello not withstanding) and they are definitely out there. Look at Michael Pennix Jr’s stats with Washington this year.

ETA: I hope he starts next year, is all SEC, and this thread is rubbed in my face because he is ab extremely likable kid.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I’ve been a Rogers defender since his Freshman year, but I think at this point he’s reached his ceiling. He is who he is. I appreciate him being a good leader and steward of our football program, but Leach has to hit the portal for a QB since it does not seem any of the underclassmen are ready to take the job.

Leach has done well with transfer QBs before, (Costello not withstanding) and they are definitely out there. Look at Michael Pennix Jr’s stats with Washington this year.

It's been said by someone else here recently, but the odds of a quality QB transferring in to compete with 3 year starter in a pretty unique system seem very low.

We'll be fine if we can't find that guy.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

ETA: I hope he starts next year, is all SEC, and this thread is rubbed in my face because he is ab extremely likable kid.

Win now is Will

Win bigger is a player to be named later

Starting QB in the SEC is a rare breed so as a level set think about that every time you criticize a multi year multi record holding SEC QB in Rogers. He is a means to an end and a very good one at that!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Maybe we can find somebody in the portal that has more physical abilities and intangibles than Rogers who want to come play for Mississippi State. I doubt it very seriously but it might happen. Someone that will make Coach Leach put Rogers on the bench. I don't doubt there are players out there like that. I just don't buy that we can get them to come to Mississippi State right now. Hopefully we can somewhere down the line.

I do feel really good knowing that we have a seasoned quarterback who knows the system and has a ton of experience. Especially when we would play the conference games.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Leach has been landing highly rated QB's so let's see if these guys can learn the system and add some much needed mobility and toughness to the QB position. If we can't, we'll have to hope Will spends more time in the weight room and gains some strength.

CFLDawg

Nov 29, 2014
Isn't the real hope that Parsons comes in and pushes Will? I'm like others... I love his character. I love his accuracy. I love his drive. He's got to develop more ability to read the defense and read the pocket. Unfortunately, I don't think Robertson is the answer... we just haven't seen him be successful at all even in mop-up time.\

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Will is the QB. He's mastered the Leach offense. Plus he is the leader of the team.
Ok mr rogers. Your son is a good kid, but he's not what we need in leach offense to get where we need to go. We need someone that doesn't get sack 10 yards behind the line with any pressure or someone that can't find the open receiver when not given 10 minutes. A third year player who doesn't know how to step up in to the pocket or scramble

Reactions: dog12 and MSUDawg25

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Maybe we can find somebody in the portal that has more physical abilities and intangibles than Rogers who want to come play for Mississippi State. I doubt it very seriously but it might happen. Someone that will make Coach Leach put Rogers on the bench. I don't doubt there are players out there like that. I just don't buy that we can get them to come to Mississippi State right now. Hopefully we can somewhere down the line.

I do feel really good knowing that we have a seasoned quarterback who knows the system and has a ton of experience. Especially when we would play the conference games.
There are too many good qbs hitting portal every year not to be able to get somebody. Right now that's what is keeping us from being a great team. A much more athletic qb

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I too want the future now. But I'm going to enjoy the process of getting there!

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
What I have noticed this year is not so much the failure of Will to make the plays, it’s his receivers being open verses 5-star talent. There is a big difference in blue chip v. blue collar. You blame Will for receivers not being open.

True, he had a bad game verses Ole Miss’ jamming the middle of the field, but with adjustments, they figured it out. He led us down the field three times for td’s and a field goal. He made some mistakes on a slick field. You would too if you were on that field last night.

Will holds records for a reason, because he’s good. Some of y’all need to STFU.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Do the Mannings not have a program we can enroll Will in during the off season? Aren’t they QB whisperers or something?

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
You just need a heady upperclassmen who has played in a spread passing attack. Several mid major guys like that available every year, it won’t be hard to find one ith more Athleticism, speed, stronger arm and physical strength than Will.

see Gardner Minshew nfl qb east carolina state

we will still win 9+ with next years schedule and a fourth year will.

if I’m Will I’m jumping rope, running sprints, working with a,personal trainer/nutritionist and lifting five days a week. Maybe just terrible genetics.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
I’ve said it before… Will is the QB next year. No one on the roster is anywhere close to him. Additionally, we aren’t going to attract a sec starter caliber QB in the portal in hopes of him unseating a 3 year starter that’s a season away from being the all time leading passer in the history of the best conference in college football. Will is our QB and he will do just fine. Some of our fans would be pissed if we had Tom Brady.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
I’ve said it before… Will is the QB next year. No one on the roster is anywhere close to him. Additionally, we aren’t going to attract a sec starter caliber QB in the portal in hopes of him unseating a 3 year starter that’s a season away from being the all time leading passer in the history of the best conference in college football. Will is our QB and he will do just fine. Some of our fans would be pissed if we had Tom Brady.
You don’t know what’s required to run the air raid. It’s not a big name guy, there are mid major guys we could upgrade with.

locke is much more talented than Will but is a true freshman and not ready. next year he may be. He’s got a big league arm and is athletic enough. He owns a bunch of Texas 6a records.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
What I have noticed this year is not so much the failure of Will to make the plays, it’s his receivers being open verses 5-star talent. There is a big difference in blue chip v. blue collar. You blame Will for receivers not being open.

True, he had a bad game verses Ole Miss’ jamming the middle of the field, but with adjustments, they figured it out. He led us down the field three times for td’s and a field goal. He made some mistakes on a slick field. You would too if you were on that field last night.

Will holds records for a reason, because he’s good. Some of y’all need to STFU.
Some people just can't get that fumble at the goal line out of their head and forget the other 10,000 plus yards he threw for this year. They seem to have a fixation with his errors and inefficiencies. He is not Joe Montana but until we can get somebody who can throw and run the ball like some of you people dream about he's doing a pretty good job for us controlling the offense. I really don't understand all this blame thrown at him for us not being an elite team.

As I have said, several times, he is not an all around quarterback who can run and throw the ball on anybody, bu If you look at the entire year and the entire team, you will see we have deficiencies other than just the fact that our quarterback not being a future NFL All Pro player

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Leach has been landing highly rated QB's so let's see if these guys can learn the system and add some much needed mobility and toughness to the QB position. If we can't, we'll have to hope Will spends more time in the weight room and gains some strength.
This if nothing else happens this off season I really hope Will hits the weight room HARD.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
You guys are funny. Pretty much all of you have said at one point or another that Leach is going to play whoever is performing best. Rogers is better on the field than all that potential y’all keep mentioning is going to produce.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
You guys are funny. Pretty much all of you have said at one point or another that Leach is going to play whoever is performing best. Rogers is better on the field than all that potential y’all keep mentioning is going to produce.
i Disagree if you think we can’t get a better qb than Will. I don’t know that we will, but there are more talented players out there.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Hey I’m okay if we go with Will next year, maybe as a fourth year player the,light will go on. we will win 9+ with Will.

ive just had the benefit of watching leach offenses with really good qbs . We can be much more explosive and will in the future.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
As it stands, Rogers, Robertson, Locke, Parsons (coming off a knee I believe) are what is expected to be available. Two of those might have the potential to win the Heisman before it’s over but Rogers at his ceiling is better than all of those others next season short of a huge change in their performance.

Now, if a transfer comes in, things can change but that is the unknown.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

The coaching staff needs to hit the portals and Juco ranks for Offensive linemen and a speedster to stretch the field. When Will Rogers has protection, he's very good.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
Win now is Will

Win bigger is a player to be named later

Starting QB in the SEC is a rare breed so as a level set think about that every time you criticize a multi year multi record holding SEC QB in Rogers. He is a means to an end and a very good one at that!
So we were fine Thursday night, vs Bama, UGA, KY, and LSU?

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
You just need a heady upperclassmen who has played in a spread passing attack. Several mid major guys like that available every year, it won’t be hard to find one ith more Athleticism, speed, stronger arm and physical strength than Will.

see Gardner Minshew nfl qb east carolina state

we will still win 9+ with next years schedule and a fourth year will.

if I’m Will I’m jumping rope, running sprints, working with a,personal trainer/nutritionist and lifting five days a week. Maybe just terrible genetics.
Bad genetics. He can't really gain anymore weight or improve physically

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
He really looked like he's mastered the offense in over half our SEC games this year***
It takes two to tango and in the game of football it takes eleven. Will probably has mastered Leach’s offense as well as anyone ever has but Will isn’t a QB who can just put a whole team on his shoulders and carry them. He needs a better OL whether through experience or replacement in the portal and he needs a premier outside receiver who can turn 50/50 balls into 75/25 balls. We add those two things and Will will look like what we all expected.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We're basically 17'd at QB next year
I hope 17'd at QB means another 8 win regular season is the floor.
With our schedule it should but our defense isn't going to be as good, so we'll see. It's Rogers and nobody else next year. Generally, you'd hope to compete for more than 8 wins with a 4 year QB. Hard to expect that with Rogers. My hope is he hires a QB guru to work with over the summer to improve what can be.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
So we were fine Thursday night, vs Bama, UGA, KY, and LSU?

The win now comment simply meant winning record, beating teams you should beat not running the table and winning every game....gheesh.

There actually was a time when a winning record was a struggle....no I'm serious....it really happened....a lot

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We're basically 17'd at QB next year

With our schedule it should but our defense isn't going to be as good, so we'll see. It's Rogers and nobody else next year. Generally, you'd hope to compete for more than 8 wins with a 4 year QB. Hard to expect that with Rogers. My hope is he hires a QB guru to work with over the summer to improve what can be.

It's somewhat comparable to 2015.

We had a great run to #1 and ended with a whimper vs Bama, UM and Georgia Tech in 2014.

2015 seemed less stellar coming off the early possibilities in 2014. Finished regular 8-4 with early losses to LSU and A&M dampening big dreams. Got kind of screwed with a lesser bowl and kicked NC State's azz in Nashville. 9-4 in a season that was oddly similar to this one. Three losses to Top 10 teams (UM, Bama, LSU) and one egg laying on the road to a beatable A&M.

I looked at the Massey Ratings to get some kind of reference on the relative strength of those teams..

2014 MSU finished #14
2015 MSU finished #10
2022 MSU currently #17

Agree completely with extra work with someone knowledgeable being welcome.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login