Recession incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Overall prices actually went down over the last month. Not the rate. Actual price. -0.1%.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly. Having a consistent metric is a good comparison tool, but not worth getting in to arguing about whether it's a perfect tool or not. My thermometer is a great way to find something out about my general level of infection (fever) but it's not going to solve my problem or even diagnose it. You would think that with the word "Index" involved, it wouldn't cause people such consternation...
I don't know. I get the consternation of people. The published CPI has been well below what we have experienced, and we avoided pretty much any auto related inflation (other than insurance, which granted has been high) and most housing inflation. I have trouble figuring out what spending patterns people would have that would have kept their inflation below 20%. I am guessing that most people don't substitute nearly to the extent that the BLS assumes in response to relative price changes?

RebelRH

May 2, 2013
So much for the great gains we've made with the 401K. I talked to my guy this week and told him let's be careful going forward. Too late now.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I hope this does not get locked, and everyone stays civil. This passive-aggressive argument style in which no one says anything substantive is fascinating!

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Under the cloak of media darkness, jobs numbers get retroactively adjusted down every month. Under the surface, jobs reports have been terrible for a while. Underlying metrics show that full time employment is still below pre-pandemic levels and millions and millions of people haven't re-entered the workforce. Most of these added jobs are part time jobs.
Maybe that’s the case in other areas or I’m missing it in my own circle. Any connections I’ve had that lost their job, they’ve gotten another similar job every quickly. The only ones that haven’t found a job were massive under-performers.

Even still there have been major layoffs at huge companies and the jobs report has never been bad. It’s interesting to say the least.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The alternative is to look at the primary cause of the increased prices. The expansion of the money supply is the cause, and the increased prices are its effect.

Everyone can run this experiment:
  1. Measure the rate of change of your cost of living over the long term.
  2. Compare to the CPI.
  3. Compare to the rate of change of the money supply.
Which one is more in line with the increased prices YOU are experiencing?

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

RebelRH

May 2, 2013
Did you think the markets were going to go straight up every quarter?
I leave that up to the certified guy that manages my fund. I have had him back it down some to less riskier stocks. He might have known or sensed that this might happen because he said this month may not be good and they were expecting a rate cut to help that out. But to answer your question I sure was hoping it would continue to go straight up every quarter. For the most part those guys have done a pretty good job managing it. In 15 years it has almost tripled in value when I rolled it over from another company.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't know. I get the consternation of people. The published CPI has been well below what we have experienced, and we avoided pretty much any auto related inflation (other than insurance, which granted has been high) and most housing inflation. I have trouble figuring out what spending patterns people would have that would have kept their inflation below 20%. I am guessing that most people don't substitute nearly to the extent that the BLS assumes in response to relative price changes?
I think that it is just as simple as citing CPI being reduced is conflated with the idea that you are telling people that their reduction in purchasing power and pain isn't real, which is not true. There is real pain and financial stress associated with the higher prices that are now baked in. We haven't, and likely will not see deflation that solves the current issue of everything being more expensive.

I can see an argument to be made that companies seeing record profits while laying people off and keeping prices at levels initially established by the pandemic is having an impact, but to call that the only reason would be a gross oversimplification. Quite honestly if I had an answer to what would "fix" it, I'd be somewhere monetizing that idea.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
99% of drivers believe they are above average drivers.

Pretty likely that people's "vibes" on inflation have a healthy dose of bias in them. Especially as the peeps complaining of inflation the loudest are those consuming media that tells them that, and that also believe untrue things of the economy in general.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's not the pandemic. It's two stimmy cycles, forgiven PPP loans, and massive spending bills on top of the pandemic.
Let me re-phrase. No pandemic, and the inflation outliers in 2021/22 do not look like that and likely fall more in line with normal. Everything that happened from supply chain to pandemic response played a roll. Perfect storm got us those inflation numbers and without COVID and the associated worldwide implications we don't see those levels.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Maybe that’s the case in other areas or I’m missing it in my own circle. Any connections I’ve had that lost their job, they’ve gotten another similar job every quickly. The only ones that haven’t found a job were massive under-performers.

Even still there have been major layoffs at huge companies and the jobs report has never been bad. It’s interesting to say the least.
The part time job trend is a long term trend, that's not gonna be parsed from the data from the last few years easily. It's likely a Boomer effect, at least in large part, but also probably an effect of labor costs going up. Yet, it's an easy excuse to jump on for those that are looking for an excuse to trash the economy. The official numbers are never real when they conflict with their narrative.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Let me re-phrase. No pandemic, and the inflation outliers in 2021/22 do not look like that and likely fall more in line with normal. Everything that happened from supply chain to pandemic response played a roll. Perfect storm got us those inflation numbers and without COVID and the associated worldwide implications we don't see those levels.
I don't know why people ignore the supply chain effect. Most of our large businesses run on historically tiny margins, enabled by a fantastic supply chain that was shredded by the pandemic. It's not that their direct costs went up, it's that the inconsistency of the supply chain (and consumer behavior!) made their low margin business strategy a loser. All those overhead costs go up per unit sold when the supply chain is disrupted.

Also, Friedman conservatives have been saying for 40 years that corporate consolodation is actually good for consumer prices. Despite common sense. Well, this period has proven them wrong, without a doubt. Yet, crickets.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

The few big layoffs I’ve read about were mainly accomplished by eliminating open positions…. I don’t keep up with stuff like that very often, so that could be an outlier but would explain why you see layoffs but no real change to unemployment numbers

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
In a few months, if Trump wins, all the people talking about inflation and the economy being bad will suddenly think it’s great….

And all the people who think the economy is awesome and inflation is under control will suddenly think just the opposite.

I think all you guys that consume this much political talk are nuts

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
99% of drivers believe they are above average drivers.

Pretty likely that people's "vibes" on inflation have a healthy dose of bias in them. Especially as the peeps complaining of inflation the loudest are those consuming media that tells them that, and that also believe untrue things of the economy in general.
Let me make an obvious comment. You actually track your spending and you aren't just getting a "vibe" about how much you spend and converting that to what the inflation rate of your expenditures is. But you hold yourself in such high regard that you think that's somehow rare and your overinflated opinion of yourself lets you do stupid things like just assume that you can ignore pretty common stuff as implausible, hence you assuming that other people are just getting a "vibe" on their finances, no matter how obviously stupid that assumption is. While it's a certainly a minority of people that track their spending in that level of detail, is not rare. Hell, free software will do 90% of the work for you if you use credit cards and debit cards.

Lots of people know more or less exactly how their spending has changed from year to year and can give pretty good details regarding which of those changes are due to changes in spending patterns and which are due to changes in pricing.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
In a few months, if Trump wins, all the people talking about inflation and the economy being bad will suddenly think it’s great….

And all the people who think the economy is awesome and inflation is under control will suddenly think just the opposite.

Trump will not win. We will all be able to maintain our current positions on inflation.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Groceries are kicking my ***, too. Food in general. When meal combos at fast food are near over $10 something is wrong. Shouldn't cost $40 to feed a family of 4 fast food. Grocery prices for me have more than doubled. So they can get up in front of the camera and proclaim whatever they want about the inflation rate and have all the people back behind them nodding their heads in agreement, but it doesn't change the fact that people are hurting in this country.
I think it's funny when I hear someone like Whoopi Goldberg tell a man that says a family of four can't go to McDonald's and that it is McDonald's fault. McDonald's fault?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Let me make an obvious comment. You actually track your spending and you aren't just getting a "vibe" about how much you spend and converting that to what the inflation rate of your expenditures is. But you hold yourself in such high regard that you think that's somehow rare and your overinflated opinion of yourself lets you do stupid things like just assume that you can ignore pretty common stuff as implausible, hence you assuming that other people are just getting a "vibe" on their finances, no matter how obviously stupid that assumption is. While it's a certainly a minority of people that track their spending in that level of detail, is not rare. Hell, free software will do 90% of the work for you if you use credit cards and debit cards.

Lots of people know more or less exactly how their spending has changed from year to year and can give pretty good details regarding which of those changes are due to changes in spending patterns and which are due to changes in pricing.
Please work in how people think this but don't actually do it, then get back to me.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I like these subjects because there are some here who know more than me on things. I know it's kinda hypocritical of me to say but this thread has potential to not get overly partisan and locked and I hope it doesn't. I'm direct but try not to be nasty to others even though others may say I don't try enough.

One area I'm interested in is other things that drive basic necessities costs up other than govr caused inflation. Energy would be my first guess and "Get Off My Lawn Signs" placed where there's more oil and cheaper to extract drives prices up but to what degree? Pipelines reduce transport costs and CO2 emissions but what are the negatives of them? What Pisses me off the most is nobody's talking About WHO gets hit hardest when food, housing, gas, energy bills, clothing , etc...spike. it's known as the hidden tax on the poor and that SICKENS Me.

I miss this guy and those like him who are fun to listen to and explains it so the avg Joe like me understands

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Let me make an obvious comment. You actually track your spending and you aren't just getting a "vibe" about how much you spend and converting that to what the inflation rate of your expenditures is.
not exactly. I track my overall spending always, but often don't have time to check every bill every month. I've got spreadsheets set up to parse all spending into categories, but only rarely fill it out with every expense for a month. Plus, my family situation has changed continuously since Covid, so I wouldn't have an apples to apples comparison to make.
But you hold yourself in such high regard that you think that's somehow rare and your overinflated opinion of yourself lets you do stupid things like just assume that you can ignore pretty common stuff as implausible, hence you assuming that other people are just getting a "vibe" on their finances, no matter how obviously stupid that assumption is.
no. I see how people are, and apply that here. I have no doubt that food prices have affected some families much more than the 20% or so inflation weve had the last few years. I dont have as much of an idea if those most affected are not adjusting their spending wisely.
While it's a certainly a minority of people that track their spending in that level of detail, is not rare. Hell, free software will do 90% of the work for you if you use credit cards and debit cards.
It's a lot more than the uncommon spending trackers that are complaining of inflation.
I think you overestimate.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's really pretty simple no matter what inflation is right now. Prices are higher, and they have not been reduced. It still costs me $300 for the $150 in groceries I bought two years ago. I am really glad we bought our house back in 2020.
Prices have never been reduced over time in the history of the US economy. Some level of inflation is always there and will always be there. Every 17ing thing you buy will be more expensive a year from now than this year, on average. That is the natural way of the US economy. A low, stable level of inflation is necessary and healthy, as it indicates wage growth and things like that are happening.

When its only a little bit higher instead of a lot higher, that is inflation reducing….which is good. But its a rate of change measurement that is always positive, not a flat price measurement. An alarming number of people that think that the inflation problem will not be “solved” until the prices of everything go back to what they were pre-COVID. That is absolutely never going to happen, under any presidential administration, interest rate environment, or what have you. Just like gas is never going to be $0.99 a gallon again, a Coca-Cola is never going to be $0.50 again, and a happy meal is never going to be $2.99 again.

Chaos is a ladder, and corporations use it relentlessly to lock in long term price increases on captive consumers after crazy events like COVID and 9/11. Such is the way of things with capitalism.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
What Pisses me off the most is nobody's talking About WHO gets hit hardest when food, housing, gas, energy bills, clothing , etc...spike. it's known as the hidden tax on the poor and that SICKENS Me.

I miss this guy and those like him who are fun to listen to and explains it so the avg Joe like me understands

Expanding the money supply disproportionally hurts the poor, but it also benefits those who own assets like real estate, stocks, bitcoin, etc. It is, in effect, a transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich, which, if understood by the masses, would be very unpopular.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

It took Reagan two years to clean up Carter's mess, and it'll take Trump that long to clean up Joe's, unless he goes on another spending spree too.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Prices have never been reduced over time in the history of the US economy. Some level of inflation is always there and will always be there. Every 17ing thing you buy will be more expensive a year from now than this year, on average. That is the natural way of the US economy. A low, stable level of inflation is necessary and healthy, as it indicates wage growth and things like that are happening.

When its only a little bit higher instead of a lot higher, that is inflation reducing….which is good. But its a rate of change measurement that is always positive, not a flat price measurement. An alarming number of people that think that the inflation problem will not be “solved” until the prices of everything go back to what they were pre-COVID. That is absolutely never going to happen, under any presidential administration, interest rate environment, or what have you. Just like gas is never going to be $0.99 a gallon again, a Coca-Cola is never going to be $0.50 again, and a happy meal is never going to be $2.99 again.

Chaos is a ladder, and corporations use it relentlessly to lock in long term price increases on captive consumers after crazy events like COVID and 9/11. Such is the way of things with capitali

I'm not looking for nickel Coke again. I just think it's ridiculous to have to pay the prices we have to pay today at the grocery store. Trying to tell me that we should naturally expect to pay that amount logically is really something else. I'm out. I can't argue with logic like that.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

Chaos is a ladder, and corporations use it relentlessly to lock in long term price increases on captive consumers after crazy events like COVID and 9/11. Such is the way of things with capitalism.
I think you downplayed the importance of "In Moderation" and overplayed capitalism's connection. What disagreements do you have with this shorter 3 min clip?

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
a few of us listened to an hour long presentation last week from a Chicago commodity floor trader last week....I say a few of us cause the guy next to me was reading the Pack on his phone....he showed chart after chart and his synopsis showed that everything is pointing to a recession incoming, and the earliest it could officially hit would be Q1 of 2025....IT is coming....

ive been reading for a while that whoever the next president is going to be, is ultimately going to be the fall guy for the incoming economy over the next two years, bc all models show that it isn't getting better anytime soon.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Official inflation over the last year. But what matters is where inflation is right now, not where it was a year ago. Yes, prices haven't come down to where they were, but that is not supposed to be a consideration when setting rates.

The Fed has cited "stubborn inflationary numbers" because they have to, to justify their decision to ignore the trends and not lower rates. By their historical metrics, it's long been time to lower rates.

My house is worth well more than years ago. In labor. The only metric that matters. I would have to work longer to pay for it if I bought it now then when I did. The dollar is just a substitute for labor after all.
Based on how awful the fast spike was, shouldn't we expect some degree of correction at this point instead of cheering the fact we slowed back down to 70 mph after flooring it to 150 for the last 500 miles?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Correct. People struggle to process the fact that multiple things can be true:

1) Inflation is down (as measured by CPI, the same thing that was used to follow it when it went up)
2) The Fed typically would have cut rates based on inflation goals and CPI but they failed to do so. That's a puzzle.
3) The cost of food (and other things) is still high and putting a lot of stress on people.
4) Most of this stress is because, for the first time in my adult life, wage stagnation is truly being felt by the middle class. We are used to not caring about a living wage for the working poor because it largely hasn't had an impact on our lives.

Even still, the most prevalent question you will see asked is not what it should be "What can we do to fix it?", rather, "Who can I blame for this?" and the general population is perfectly content to yield to their party's power structure and say its those other guys...
That’s all fine and good but when it goes through the roof for two years, a 2 or 3 percent inflation rate year over year doesn’t really tell the story. I’m glad it’s still not 7 percent but that 7 percent from two years ago is still kicking everyone’s a$$.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't accept that inflation is natural, necessary, healthy, etc. without evidence.

I recommend a book titled The Price of Tomorrow by Jeff Booth.

By the way, my unit of account is bitcoin, and everything I buy gets cheaper over the long term (priced in bitcoin).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Expanding the money supply disproportionally hurts the poor, but it also benefits those who own assets like real estate, stocks, bitcoin, etc. It is, in effect, a transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich, which, if understood by the masses, would be very unpopular.
Unexpected increases in the rate of inflation benefit debtors with fixed interest rate debt and hurts holders of fixed debt. It doesn’t help or hurt owners of assets (or really any other particular class of people) generally. just depends on people’s situations and it usually takes a while to figure out who are winners and who are losers.

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
I'm not looking for nickel Coke again. I just think it's ridiculous to have to pay the prices we have to pay today at the grocery store. Trying to tell me that we should naturally expect to pay that amount logically is really something else. I'm out. I can't argue with logic like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login