Role call

MontereyLion

Oct 6, 2021
I am sure this has been done before, more than once. When did you become a Penn State fan? Did you go to Penn State? Did you graduate? What year? I was born and raise in Pennsylvania until age 7. I was the first baby boy born at the new Valley Forge Army Hospital near Phoenixville, in 1951. There were 7 girls born before me. My dad was an Army lifer. I first heard of Penn State in the Fall of 1968. I was attending Mannheim American High School, in Germany. Heard on the radio about this 20 game winning streak Joe Paterno had Penn State on. I became a fan that day. I wanted to go to Penn State but fate took me down another path. I attended Monterey Penisula Community College, where I earned an AA Degree. Not sure what to do next, I got a job at that very same Valley Forge Army Hospital. A year of work told me that I needed to go back to college and get my degree. The door was wide open for me to go where I always wanted to go...Penn State. I started in January of 1973, on the main campus. I was a GD Independant...a Hartranft Dorm Rat. Room 509. I liked dorm life. Someone made my meals. What can I say about 1973?..Cappy. I graduated in 1975 with a Degree in Finance. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. What's your story? How did you become a fan?

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
First became a fan in 1969, at age 4. My dad worked at Peach Bottom Nuclear Plant and many of his colleagues were PSU alums and fans.

Went to PSU in Fall 1982, and greduated in 1987 after switching majors. I was debating between PSU and Syracuse, and went to the mall and saw a very pretty girl in a Penn State sweatshirt and that is about all it took.

It was a great time, aside from just how succesful the football team was. My only regret is I wish I did not have my head up my a$$ all the time, and focused more on schoolwork. Plus I should have made a move on a certain brown eyed girl from the Hub (@LionJim has read that story).

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Last edited:

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
My folks had been season ticket holders since I was young and the fandom was further solidified after my initial student section experience (first home game, freshman year). Lived at 505 Geary Hall (862-5186), 602 Cedarbrook, a house on West Fairmount Ave and the corner of S Atherton & Highland. Joe Paterno was Penn State's coach, and (unbeknownst to/underappreciated by me at the time) my worries were few.

Last edited:

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Growing up right out side of Shamokin Pa. did I have a choice? Bernie Sabol of Coal Township was a star! (as fate would have it, later my college coach). But in 1966 the day after our high school season at Southern Columbia was over....the boosters took the team, band and cheerleaders to a PSU Game. PSU lost to Syracuse stacked with Floyd Little, Larry Csonka and Tom Coughlin in the backfield (Little's PR beat PSU 13-7). I remember sitting on bleachers in the end zone. On the way home, when I boarded the bus, I noticed a pretty majorette sitting alone and I asked to join her. 7 years later she would be my wife.

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
Grew up in Western Pa (Sharon area) where we had Youngstown TV stations. Always had Big 10 games on and Notre Dame highlights on Sunday. I liked both Penn State and Pitt. Didn't have a favorite.

After college, (I didn't go to Penn State), the mills were closing (early 80's), so I moved to New Orleans (had a cousin there).
One December day, a friend from high school called me from Alabama and asked if I wanted to go to the Fiesta Bowl (87 bowl - 86 season). I had just been laid off as the Oil and Gas industry was struggling so I had the time. He picked me up and we drove straight through. Stayed at his sister's house in Tempe.
He was in the media, so we got to do a lot of things the media people get to do.
Danced next to JoePa and SuePa at the NYE's party.
Became a huge Penn State fan during that game.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
My dad got an engineering masters at State and I was his Saturday football TV buddy. Older sister and brother went to F&M (20k ea in 1980). He hugged me hard when I chose PSU (5 per)
Hes a Philly boy so same story with the 4 Philly pros
grew up in lancaster

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
I was 10 years old in 1968, and recovering from a near-fatal car accident. (Drunk driver crossed center line and hit car my older sister was driving. All survived but it was touch-and-go for me for a while.) My recovery time ran parallel with the Lions' awesome season. After finishing his military service, my oldest brother enrolled at State in 1971 - he is a 1975 alum. Him being there greatly contributed to my fandom.

So, after my Army time, it was a no-brainer to apply to State and only State. Given I was a vet and married, I was able to matriculate at main campus as a first-year student. (Started Dec 1980 - anyone else remember the term system?) Graduated in 1984, hence the "84" in my handle. Was a student during our first official national championship. Wife and I stayed in State College for a few years after graduation, so were in the area for the 1986 'ship. If anyone wants to start a GoFundMe to get us to move back to Happy Valley, bringing our championship mojo with us, DM me. ;)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Became a Penn Stater after watching the 15-14 Kansas Orange Bowl game. Started as a PSU student in fall of ‘74, washed out after Fall ‘77. (Took me that long to realize that PSU and I were a bad fit.) I have degrees from Tennessee and Maryland, both were very very good to me, but I’ll be PSU first last always. And I guess I owe @psuro a mention of the blonde in Pattee Library.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/quotes?item=qt0259148&ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Became a Penn Stater after watching the 15-14 Kansas Orange Bowl game. Started as a PSU student in fall of ‘74, washed out after Fall ‘77. (Took me that long to realize that PSU and I were a bad fit.) I have degrees from Tennessee and Maryland, both were very very good to me, but I’ll be PSU first last always. And I guess I owe @psuro a mention of the blonde in Pattee Library.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/quotes?item=qt0259148&ref_=ext_shr_lnk
MD? as a group we need to take a closer look at this dudes cred.:)

FHSPSU67

Oct 19, 2021
1962 I attended the American Legion's Keystone Boys State at PSU. I was sold without being recruited :)
1963 Freshman year
1664 Sophomore
1965 Junior and discovered beer at the old Lion's Den - Got to know Charlie and George
1966. Senior year and graduated as an EE. in Sept of 1967
Except for the first four games of 1967 when I was working in Iowa, I attended every home game and almost 200 away games thru 2007.
The End
[edit] Forgot to say that I'm from Windber, PA. after growing up in Gray, PA.

Last edited:

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
2005 graduate (that's right, 2001-2004 seasons; simply awful football). Somehow that was 19 years ago. Kind of wild.

Became an actual fan when I attended. More of an NFL house growing up.

Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
2005 graduate (that's right, 2001-2004 seasons; simply awful football). Somehow that was 19 years ago. Kind of wild.

Became an actual fan when I attended. More of an NFL house growing up.
You're living proof that, for those of us in the community, the culture around PSU Football is about more than winning football games (and as a bonus: you can claim first person witness to 6-4).

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
What’s funny (and unsurprising) I never met with an academic advisor

Thank you. It was hard as hell but I loved it. lol, every time before I’d knock on my advisor’s door I would tell myself, “Now, Jim, don’t be afraid of sounding like an idiot.” And then I’d knock.

And, yes, Rick, I knew you were joking about the need to check my creds.
oh, just because, it’s my 6-generation-back advisor’s birthday. I am a proud descendant of the Italian School of Algebraic Geometry.

Reactions: OptionBob

PhillyBillyReprise

Oct 29, 2021
I am from Lancaster County. I played high school football. The biggest games I had ever seen were Gettysburg at F&M and West Chester at Millersville. I matriculated in the Fall of 1965. The first game was Michigan State at Beaver Stadium. Penn State lost to Duffy Dougherty’s Spartans 23-0. Penn State’s head coach was Rip Engle.

I was hooked. I have been a season ticket holder for over 50 years and have traveled to 7 bowl games. For several years, we had a house in State College for football.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Attended games soon after birth in the late 60s. My father was a huge fan before I was born because his high school qb Donnie Caum played at PSU. Dad later became a booster and knew Franny, Joe and the unmentionable coach. I attended later, played baseball for one year, tutored football players, graduated and then became an alumni association rep. Now I may get up to Happy Valley once every five years. As many of you know I soured on my alma mater. But have always liked Tom and Phil’s boards so I keep coming back.

Metal Mike

Oct 28, 2021
I grew up in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. I was an usher for Pitt home games in 1963 when Pitt lost only 1 game to Navy. So I was a Pitt fan. My older brother went to PSU in 1965. My senior year in High School I was looking at colleges. Pitt was still private and expensive. There was talk that Pitt would go state supported. I could not take the chance so I applied to PSU, got in and started in fall of 1966. PSU was very affordable for my 4 years. While my older brother was at PSU his freshmen year I became a PSU fan. This was 1965 the last year before Joe. My freshman year was Joe's first year. I remember PSU went 5-5 that year. The next year PSU went to the Gator Bowl. My junior and senior years PSU was undefeated but not national champs. So I was a big fan from the start of my freshman year.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Southern speed
Tennessee was #81. Do the math.

If I could to do it all over, I’d have somehow managed to get my doctorate at Tennessee. But as my aunt the nun has said, I needed to grow up. Took forever, good grief.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Mstan85

Nov 29, 2022
born and raised in york county, first game was PSU vs "ME"ami in 1968. Not that I remember but Ted Hendricks and Ted Kwalick played in that game.

Went to PSU and graduated in 85. Bought a house in State College a few years ago.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I think the first time I became a fan was watching the 87 fiesta bowl as that was about the first time I was allowed to stay up that late. My uncle was a diehard fan who recorded that game on his VCR and would regularly watch it throughout the year.

First time I stepped on campus was July 1994 prior to my Freshman fall semester. I Applied to both Penn State and Pitt for engineering but really didn’t want to go to the city so once I got in the main campus it was an easy choice.

I guess that broke the seal for my family as my younger brother and sister both also attended and all three of our significant others are also alums. My wife’s mother and sister are also alums and her moms brother was a professor of geology or some type of science like that at the UP campus.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
My family used to visit friends in Rebersburg and would travel at night. Interstate 80 didn’t exist at the time so we took a route that took us past Pittsburg. Liked the steel mills and the US steel logo. Turned that into being a Steelers fan.
Friend asked why I like Steelers and I said it was the linebackers. He says then I need to be a fan of linebacker U. And, I did. That was in the early 70’s. Being in Ohio, not much about Penn State made the news.
Continued to follow and became a bigger fan as more exposure made its way west. The players in suits, clean cut, no neck linemen.
Fast forward to late 90’s. A friend was a GA at Toledo and said a fellow GA was S & C coach at PS. We attend a coaches clinic and I meet John Thomas. Until the **** storm hit, we became close friends. We stayed at his house for clinics, spring practice visits, summer camps that I worked and games, and my son and his sons became friends.
My son and I had waaay too many great experiences to type here (maybe someday).
- visited with my son’s favorite players Sean Lee and Darrel Clark in the weight room
-visited with LJ everytime we were in town (12 years later LJ gave my son and his friends a tour of the Woody Hayes center).
- have a great picture of my son and Joe following a practice.
Yeah, my son and I talk about how lucky we were to become very good friends with JT and his family (visited JT and Gus Felder while they were at UGA and met Richt)

Sorry, that became long.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Class of 1972 here, spend all fours at University Park. We had undefeated seasons freshman and sophomore years-a nice start.

I grew up in a place (Maine) where college football was not a big deal, but family moved to Southeastern PA in the middle of my JR year in high school and I just kind of latched onto PSU then.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
You're living proof that, for those of us in the community, the culture around PSU Football is about more than winning football games (and as a bonus: you can claim first person witness to 6-4).
I saw 6-4. Either a Highlight or a lowlight of those years, hard to commit to which one.

Reactions: Zenophile

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Grandparents, who lived outside Williamsport, were season ticket holders. My parents got theirs through one of my dad's supervisors when he was still in Williamsport. None of the four attended PSU but because that was the 'pro' team of the area, it was a big attraction. My parents and I moved to Harrisburg area in 1980 and they kept their season tickets until 2014. The first game I remember watching was 48-14 when I was 5. First game I attended was Syracuse in 1982. I didn't go to PSU either. However, my brother broke that string though he never graduated. PSU football is the only sports entity that I will work my schedule around for and if I'm not able to watch the game at home, I find any way to tune in. So there have been numerous times where I've been on a golf course watching the game on my phone or there was one time in Mexico watching the game on the little 7-inch thumbnail on Youtube TV.

Reactions: Zenophile

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I am sure this has been done before, more than once. When did you become a Penn State fan? Did you go to Penn State? Did you graduate? What year? I was born and raise in Pennsylvania until age 7. I was the first baby boy born at the new Valley Forge Army Hospital near Phoenixville, in 1951. There were 7 girls born before me. My dad was an Army lifer. I first heard of Penn State in the Fall of 1968. I was attending Mannheim American High School, in Germany. Heard on the radio about this 20 game winning streak Joe Paterno had Penn State on. I became a fan that day. I wanted to go to Penn State but fate took me down another path. I attended Monterey Penisula Community College, where I earned an AA Degree. Not sure what to do next, I got a job at that very same Valley Forge Army Hospital. A year of work told me that I needed to go back to college and get my degree. The door was wide open for me to go where I always wanted to go...Penn State. I started in January of 1973, on the main campus. I was a GD Independant...a Hartranft Dorm Rat. Room 509. I liked dorm life. Someone made my meals. What can I say about 1973?..Cappy. I graduated in 1975 with a Degree in Finance. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. What's your story? How did you become a fan?

I grew up in Reading and nobody in my family had ever gone to college so I wasn't born with any allegiance. However, I always had a hometown loyalty. I rooted for ND and PSU as a kid but in the early 90's two events turned me into a Penn State fan full-time. First was Kerry Collins going to Penn State out of a local HS here in Berks and the second was me going to Slippery Rock and meeting my ex-wife on penny draft night at a local Youngstown, OH bar named Pogo's. She was a YSU cheerleader and a big Buckeye fan. When Collins went to PSU it gave me a local tie to the school. When I met my ex-wife I had to constantly defend PSU against her and her family (which was easier in the 90's).

I did attend PSU Berks for 4 years part-time but I did not graduate from PSU. I transferred to an accelerated program at Albright (PSU didn't have an accelerated program at that time) and finished my Bachelor's Degree much quicker that way. I hold alumni status with PSU but I don't have a degree, just a bunch of credits.

My wife of 21 years got her Bachelor's Degree from Kutztown and I took some Graduate Classes at Kutztown as well. This is why I picked the name LionsandBears (Albright Lions, PSU Nittany Lions and Kutztown Bears).

Latest posts