Since it’s that time of year…..

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
For me anyway, — Gumbo this time of year is kind of a tradition, making my own.
And I will be doing that for the Saints MNF game next week but where is everyone’s favorite/best go to gumbo place ??
Many places but a few that stick out are ::

Fins Seafood - Laurel
Superior Seafood - NOLA
Gumbo Shop - NOLA
Chef Ron’s - Metairie, LA
Doc’s - Orange Beach
Sea n Suds - Gulf Shores
King Neptunes - Gulf Shores
Store bought/frozen - Azalea at Sam’s Club

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know that it’s my favorite ever but as far as the Jackson area, the gumbo at Char is really good.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
To add to your NOLA list, Station 6 in metarie has fantastic gumbo. But my favorite right now is at Peche

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
I'll second Chef Ron's in Metairie

My pet had to go to MedVet. The medical staff recommended it plus it was next door. We loved it. Without the recommendation, we would have never know about it given the location.

fang

Nov 29, 2010
Good timing! Best I ever had is on my stove right now, great on a cold day.

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
Chef Ron’s is by far the best. Tailgated with him a few times with mutual friends of his at Saints games. He brings pans and pans of food. Gumbo, lamb chops, etc. so good

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
As i thought about it more, maybe the best bowl of gumbo I can remember having is the gumbo ya ya at purple parrot in Hattiesburg, which I think may be close now.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Green Acres convenience store in Pensacola. It’s a hole in the wall but it is fantastic.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you are ever in Joe Patty’s seafood market in Pensacola, go in the market section and you can get a small cup of gumbo, a cup of rice and about 6-7 slices of French bread for $4.50. It fresh and made there in the market. It’s about as good as it gets. A large is $9.00 and will feed 2-3 people easily. They put it in freezer containers so I’ll buy several and freeze them for later.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Unless gumbo is made by a coon *** with a family recipe, it's about all the same.

Yup. My wife is from Jones County and she couldn't even spell gumbo. Got the recipe from "a coon *** with a family recipe" and I've been eating it for about 3 days now. Wonderful stuff.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Green Acres convenience store in Pensacola. It’s a hole in the wall but it is fantastic.

If you are ever in Joe Patty’s seafood market in Pensacola, go in the market section and you can get a small cup of gumbo, a cup of rice and about 6-7 slices of French bread for $4.50. It fresh and made there in the market. It’s about as good as it gets. A large is $9.00 and will feed 2-3 people easily. They put it in freezer containers so I’ll buy several and freeze them for later.

Good OT: Thread just 3 days too late - was in Pensacola Saturday - I'll checkout Green Acres and Joe Patty's next trip down.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I was about to throw out Captain Joey Patti's which is a family member's restaurant. I bet it's the same gumbo.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We were actually there Saturday. The wife wanted to go to the Pecan place across the street to get Christmas gifts and I said we have to go to Patti’s to get some beignets. Didn’t get the gumbo this time though.

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
Was in Joe Patti's on Saturday and had a sample of the gumbo....was a little too bland for my taste but I know a lot of people love it.

BB

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
My dads gumbo is the only one I’ll ever eat.

I did get food poisoning from a seafood gumbo I ate on the river walk in NO once. Thought I was dying.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Unless gumbo is made by a coon *** with a family recipe, it's about all the same.
I agree. I really like gumbo and tend to get it wherever it is on the menu. I've had gumbo in good places and hole-in-the walls and they all taste about the same. The worst ones have less sustenance like rice or seafood. The best ones have more seafood. Even the gumbos that seemed better still tasted about the same. One expensive restaurant's gumbo was a least favorite simply because it had too much black pepper in it. They should have known better.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
To me, Gumbo should be really dark, have a earthy hint of taste to it, almost like dirt.
Should have okra, shrimp, crab meat, crawfish tails and if it’s a really really good pot of gumbo, it will have oysters. I even like a little andouille sausage thrown in.
If it has tomato’s or chicken in it then it’s not authentic gumbo.

Oct 13, 2012
Gotta be Mary Mahoneys. That stuff is so freakin good man. I think they sell it frozen and ship it if I’m not mistaken

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
To me, Gumbo should be really dark, have a earthy hint of taste to it, almost like dirt.
Should have okra, shrimp, crab meat, crawfish tails and if it’s a really really good pot of gumbo, it will have oysters. I even like a little andouille sausage thrown in.

File'
It's all about the file'

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Anybody made their roux in the oven? I get bored standing there stirring on the stove top and always wind up wishing I'd let it get darker. Tips/tricks?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Sorry, but sausage has no business in seafood gumbo. Sausage goes in sausage gumbo. Okra also doesn’t belong in seafood gumbo. I have spoken.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007

Chicken and sausage gumbo is authentic as it gets.

Just ask Justin Wilson.
NGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups cut up andouille sausages
2 -3 lbs chicken, cut into small size parts, including gizzards
2 1/2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups water
4 cups sauterne white wine
file powder

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>
DIRECTIONS:
1. Firs', you gotta make-a-roux, you know dat .
2. In a cast iron dutch oven, combine oil and flour on MED heat. Stir the mixture constantly and slowly until it browns.
3. You cook dat til you tink, dat's gonna burn, but dat's not what it did, see y'gots to cook dat til it's like Dutch chocolate, y'see? .
4. When the roux reaches it's proper, aforementioned color, you add the onion. Once that onion has cooked clear looking, add your garlic, and whisk in 4 cups of water.
5. Next you stir in the worcestershire and hot sauce, and add your andouille sausage.
6. Now it's time to add your chicken. I put the pieces I like most of all, which is all the shicken, and the part what go over de fence last, I like dat. .
7. Add your 4 cups of Sauterne wine, and 2.5 teaspoons of salt. Stir all this together and your gumbo is completed,.
8. except for the cooking.
9. What you did with dis, now you cook dis today, an don' serve it today, no. You put it in you icebox tonight, an tomorrow, bring it to a boil an let it simmer for about an hour, an den eat dat, cause it taste more batter den, hoooo, it always does. .
10. Whether you can wait until the next day or not, cook it a long time until the chicken is ready to fall off the bone.
11. Serve it with hot cooked rice and offer �le powder to you guests.

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
I agree with you on sausage and seafood, although I have had..

seafood gumbo with sausage in it that was really good. The no okra take is not correct.

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
I live in Perdido Key so its a long way up to 9 mile road, but will keep it in mind next time I'm up there.

BB

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
According to a bunch of people who has last names ending in "eaux", you're half right and half wrong.

Before we had mass produced food and freezers, seafood gumbo was mainly a summer food and was thickened with okra. (No tomatoes)
In the winter, it was mainly chicken and pork. Okra was out of season, so they used file. (No tomatoes) Fish normally move to deeper waters in the winter. They didn't have Twin Vee Catamarans with quad 300 Saltwater Yamahas in the 1800s.

I've had some full blood coonasses tell me they wouldn't eat okra in chicken gumbo. Myself, I'm very much a "what tastes good to me" type of chef. I like a lot of okra in both my seafood and chicken & sausage gumbo. The slimier, the better. I probably make a lot more roux than I should, but I like a thick gumbo that coats your throat. None of that watery crap. I've had super dark watery broths that were terrible and thick light broths that were loaded with flavor. Our Christmas day tradition has been gumbo for years. I always make it at least the day before (sometimes 2) so it can sit in the fridge about 24 hours. Its always better the next day.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Anybody have any recommendations for the Gulfport area, or west of G'port? Going there this weekend. Thanks.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Yes the oven works well. Set temp to 400. Add oil and flour to cast iron skillet. Put in for 15 minutes, then check and stir every 15 minutes until you get the level of blown you want. Nice in that it is really hard to burn an oven roux. Usually, can do a large recipe in maybe 30-45 minutes. Maybe 3 beers., Maybe 2 or 4.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login