Small businesses

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Roughly 15% of the population is over 70.
About 23.5% is over 65.

Please make this math work for me.
Statistically that means a little over 22 percent of Americans below the age of 65 have some form of disabilities.

Now having disabilities isn’t the same as being mentally and physically incapable of accomplishing tasks (I also mention this in my 10:37 pm Saturday comment).

But that does mean in many cases that accomodations may need to be made.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Does that happen some? Sure.

there is no data or evidence to suggest it happens at some substantial level.

The level that it happens is irrelevant. It does happen (as you acknowledged), therefore there must be something in the system on the side of the working class to balance it out. Its no different from any other illegal practice.

How to balance it out? You either have to police it properly - which would require billions of taxpayer dollars to bankroll watchdog agencies just to scratch the surface of the amount of impropriety - or you have to build in protections for workers like minimum wage, right to unionize, etc. So, take your pick of “bigger government”, or just sustaining the status quo of basic worker rights. But removing all worker protections and just letting all businesses (small and large) just railroad the working class is not an option.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I have a feeling that some of you commenting in this thread have never owned a small business which perfectly OK but I can assure of ONE thing. The finest business school in the country can't prepare you for everything you encounter when you're a small business owner. I've been fortunate enough to successfully own 4 at one time or another. It's not for everyone but the pressure, heartache and all those other things that go along with ownership are all inconsequential in comparison to the exhilaration of being independent and succeeding "on your own". And IMO it's still a major part of the "American dream".

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
you first
this year:

about $40k to charitable causes, about $12k to my church, about $6k to a small town MS ministry in a drug crossroads that gives kids alternative learning opportunities and afterschool programs to try to keep them from drug culture, about $6k to a place that supports/feeds homeless, provides shelter/training to help them up/out and supports working poor, around $6k to a ministry that is building water wells and schools in 3rd world countries were poor gets redefined from what we call poor. all of these, i have skin in the game, personal relationships, and a solid idea of where/how the money is spent.

about $6k directly to an individual to help them get started in life once they graduated college. background, very poor, worked their way through college, been involved with them for a long time to help them break the cycle. gave them a car to get to/from college a few years ago. they have a real, full-time, professional job now and are self-sufficient. It would have been way easier for them to slip into the lifestyle they were raised in.

about $2k to a person who is working poor. been invested with this one about a decade and provide that little boost occasionally when life punches them in the face. working a decent job now, an apartment you probably wouldn't live in but is good enough, car, etc. 8 years ago was homeless

I can't help everyone, but I can help some, so I do.

I don't care what you spent, I'm asking for you to get specifically involved with "those people", because from your rhetoric, it is obvious to me that you do not currently work with working poor directly and/or know many/any. I know this because when you get directly involved, hear the stories of specific people and help where you can, it changes you from "them" to "us" as you realize we are all just people. You might even begin to recognize that you had a pretty solid head start in life compared to others. Of course that is speculation. I don't know you. For all I know you worked your way out of a terrible situation growing up with no family support at all. If so, kudos, now go extend a hand to the next guy.

ETA: started a Bagley endowment this year that provides scholarships to black or minority Mississippians with demonstrated financial need. Made it so that it didn't have a sky high year one GPA requirement because I've seen what an adjustment it can be going from small town public school to MSU and didn't want them losing all their scholarship $$$ because they had to learn how to make it at MSU. Hoping to see that pay dividends in the engineering school.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Yes, and that's what they've been doing. And a large contingent of our country has freaked out a out it, because those workers don't "deserve" the money they've negotiated in the free marketplace. Because it's not about economics to them, it's about a class system. To them, those workers are supposed to work for subsistence, and the owners are entitled to profit massively off their labor without fair compensation. That is their view of the world, period.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It's mostly about standard of living. Many times immigrants are willing to live in ways that Americans are not: many people to a home/apt, share a car, etc. Living like this in America is a huge step up from whatever they left behind, so they are willing to do so. For most Americans to live that way, basically pooling inadequate living wages to survive, is not acceptable to them. Some of that likely has to do with their access to taxpayer provided support systems, and it is still a crappy way to live but it is all they really know, so that is just how it is.
That’s very presumptuous, and quite frankly racist, of you to assume such things. Just because they’re Hispanic doesn’t make them immigrants. But don’t let me make your seat on that high horse uncomfortable.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That’s very presumptuous, and quite frankly racist, of you to assume such things. Just because they’re Hispanic doesn’t make them immigrants. But don’t let me make your seat on that high horse uncomfortable.
You made a negative assumption regarding immigrants. Not I. I think we have too few immigrants and have no negative associations with the word immigrant. Apparently you do. I mean it would be bad for them to “make them be immigrants”, right?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
You made a negative assumption regarding immigrants. Not I. I think we have too few immigrants and have no negative associations with the word immigrant. Apparently you do. I mean it would be bad for them to “make them be immigrants”, right?
I’m lost on this. Care to provide where I made any negative assumptions? I didn’t. But keep getting uncomfortable. Maybe you can tell us more about your awesomeness of giving to the less fortunate (unless they’re white).

Reactions: paindonthurt

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
a good plumber or a good electrician can make a damn good living these days. you know why? supply and demand
And state and municipality enforced licensing laws and certification requirements that restrict the supply of plumbers and electricians to keep wages and salaries artificially high (but states better not dare raise the minimum wage). But, yeah, those are good professions if you don't mind working hard. We do need some diversity and inclusion initiatives. We don't have many female plumbers out there.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Accuracy for the most part is racist. Ignore reality and you won't get called racist.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m lost on this. Care to provide where I made any negative assumptions? I didn’t. But keep getting uncomfortable. Maybe you can tell us more about your awesomeness of giving to the less fortunate (unless they’re white).
Good point. White folks have certainly had it the hardest in this country.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You made a negative assumption regarding immigrants. Not I. I think we have too few immigrantsand have no negative associations with the word immigrant. Apparently you do. I mean it would be bad for them to “make them be immigrants”, right?
No negative associations at all??? All immigrants are awesome and all are equal and equally beneficial to society, just like all current citizens. Do have negative associations with non-immigrants?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Good point. White folks have certainly had it the hardest in this country.
A lot have actually had a difficult time. So have non-whites. There are no shortages of studies showing this and your moral exhibitionism on behalf of others doesn't disprove this.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
And state and municipality enforced licensing laws and certification requirements that restrict the supply of plumbers and electricians to keep wages and salaries artificially high (but states better not dare raise the minimum wage). But, yeah, those are good professions if you don't mind working hard. We do need some diversity and inclusion initiatives. We don't have many female plumbers out there.
Are you one of those people that while during a plumbing emergency says, “I will gladly wait 2 more weeks to only accept a plumber that is not white and/or male?” Or are you willing to accept the first qualified plumber regardless of who/what they are?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Are you one of those people that while during a plumbing emergency says, “I will gladly wait 2 more weeks to only accept a plumber that is not white and/or male?” Or are you willing to accept the first qualified plumber regardless of who/what they are?
I'm one of those people who gets sarcasm.

Reactions: johnson86-1

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
your assumption could not be any more wrong.
Provide a story about these countless folks you've helped. My assertion is that you can't get to know someone as a friend, hear their story and then couch them as just moochers off of society who won't work hard or be responsible and that is why they can't get ahead.

I shared some details that quite frankly I would not have if this were not anonymous. My wife is the only person irl who knows what we give and to where. My kids get a small glimpse when I think there is an opportunity to show them that we are not supposed to be keeping as much as we can for ourselves, rather giving as much as we can away to those less fortunate.

I was in your same boat, until I actually got to know "them", so I cannot fathom how anyone could get to know "them" and not have their views change based on the reality that many of "them" have lived. It changed me substantially, for the better, and I consider myself one of the least empathetic people I know.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Provide a story about these countless folks you've helped. My assertion is that you can't get to know someone as a friend, hear their story and then couch them as just moochers off of society who won't work hard or be responsible and that is why they can't get ahead.

I shared some details that quite frankly I would not have if this were not anonymous. My wife is the only person irl who knows what we give and to where. My kids get a small glimpse when I think there is an opportunity to show them that we are not supposed to be keeping as much as we can for ourselves, rather giving as much as we can away to those less fortunate.

I was in your same boat, until I actually got to know "them", so I cannot fathom how anyone could get to know "them" and not have their views change based on the reality that many of "them" have lived. It changed me substantially, for the better, and I consider myself one of the least empathetic people I know.
i'm not a virtue signaler like you. i don't seek out praise for what I do to help people in need. it's between me, my wife, and them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you use Venmo, PayPal or Cash App expect a little surprise from all of the new IRS agents Biden hired. Hint they are not coming after The Rich
I think the ones they’re going to go after are businesses who took the ERC. They’ll never waste time auditing the really little guys because they can’t make any money from them. Even when they do find something, it’s peanuts.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Well done.

I’ve mentioned before here that my job is in higher ed and that the majority of my donations - which incidentally are really really small in comparison to yours - go to my employer.

Seeing and interacting with the students and knowing in many cases what their backgrounds are, I think it’s a good idea to not only help them by doing what I do when I’m on the job but to also provide some financial support for some programs and scholarships that help them.

After all, I want them to succeed.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Well, I call BS on it all but to each his own I guess. #fakenews
Oh, it’s certainly easy to call BS on things.

But when Mississippians are well known for donations, I’ve learned not to discount claims but maybe that’s because I know folks who’ve given a lot more than Horshack.

And I’m sure you know people who’ve done the same.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

But when Mississippians are well known for donations, I’ve learned not to discount claims but maybe that’s because I know folks who’ve given a lot more than Horshack.

Right, and what benefit would I get from lying on a message board? Horshack status points? My end goal is to convince/goad/irritate people into looking outside of their preconceived notions and political talking points and step into the ring. Get to know someone way different than you are, learn their story, who they are. Then do that again. Broaden your horizons beyond what you think you already know and really go out and challenge your own beliefs/assumptions. Spend a lot more time trying to understand and help people than you do trying to categorize and belittle them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Well done.

I’ve mentioned before here that my job is in higher ed and that the majority of my donations - which incidentally are really really small in comparison to yours - go to my employer.

Seeing and interacting with the students and knowing in many cases what their backgrounds are, I think it’s a good idea to not only help them by doing what I do when I’m on the job but to also provide some financial support for some programs and scholarships that help them.

After all, I want them to succeed.
If you ever have a specific student need that you think has merit, DM me. I may, or may not, be able to help. It depends on timing, available resources, etc.

ETA: I'm not Gamestop wealthy or anything, just had a couple of good quarters that allowed me the freedom to help others and all my kids are grown, so those demands are gone. i.e. my level of giving fluctuates with my circumstances. I just try to be sure that I always focus on doing what I can when I can

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have a feeling that some of you commenting in this thread have never owned a small business which perfectly OK but I can assure of ONE thing. The finest business school in the country can't prepare you for everything you encounter when you're a small business owner. I've been fortunate enough to successfully own 4 at one time or another. It's not for everyone but the pressure, heartache and all those other things that go along with ownership are all inconsequential in comparison to the exhilaration of being independent and succeeding "on your own". And IMO it's still a major part of the "American dream".
I've always said that if everyone had to pay self employed taxes we would have more fiscal responsibility in DC. I like it when my actual outlay is obscured by my employer portion. And I hated dealing with K1s and phantom income.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
you apparently didn't read his previous posts where he was goading paindonthurt. that's what i was responding to. but you be you.
paindonthurt is a responsible guy and can fight his own battles.

He can take care of himself and I’m sure he’ll respond accordingly.

You just tried to be his protector and got caught when your goading backfired.

There’s the saying “Don’t ask a question when you don’t know the answer.”

I don’t necessarily agree with that aphorism but maybe that’s something you should keep in mind…

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Agr
The govt has already forced labor costs up. When they paid people $15/hr to sit on their backside for a couple years. In addition, some states were paying unemployment on top of that. Anyone who wanted people to come to work had to "outbid" the govt. Once you get to those wages it's almost impossible to go back.

No one will ever make any real gains by raising minimum wage. People will just have more bills with the same buying power they had before.
Agreed but you can’t make these le him
The level that it happens is irrelevant. It does happen (as you acknowledged), therefore there must be something in the system on the side of the working class to balance it out. Its no different from any other illegal practice.

How to balance it out? You either have to police it properly - which would require billions of taxpayer dollars to bankroll watchdog agencies just to scratch the surface of the amount of impropriety - or you have to build in protections for workers like minimum wage, right to unionize, etc. So, take your pick of “bigger government”, or just sustaining the status quo of basic worker rights. But removing all worker protections and just letting all businesses (small and large) just railroad the working class is not an option.
if it rarely happens or only at a small level it’s balanced out.

that has nothing to do with employees making “less than a living wage” at any significant level.

this thread is about whether or not small business restaurants pay their employees “fairly” compared to market rates, net income, roi, payback period etc.

the answer is overwhelmingly yes most pay fairly.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Statistically that means a little over 22 percent of Americans below the age of 65 have some form of disabilities.

Now having disabilities isn’t the same as being mentally and physically incapable of accomplishing tasks (I also mention this in my 10:37 pm Saturday comment).

But that does mean in many cases that accomodations may need to be made.
If 22% of the people below age 65 need accommodating, we are at a sad place physically and mentally in this country and it’s self induced.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You basically said immigrants aren’t real Americans.

let’s hypothetically say your ignorant comment is partially true.

it still supports the point some of us are trying to make.

Some Americans have gotten lazy and think it should be given to them versus some who are willing to sacrifice standard of living today for a better tomorrow.

the same people not willing to sacrifice that ***** when we want them to pay their loans while driving newer vehicles and living nicer houses or apartments.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You realize why we don’t have more female plumbers right?
The same reason we don’t have more female welders or engineers.

CHOICE.

You know why more males are teaching and nursing than prior? CHOICE.

No one went out and recruited them to become nurses or teachers.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

I’m willing to bet your previous post was at least 50% full of $h1t just like your claim you once were a conservative republican.

most Mississippians aren’t well know for publicly broadcasting their claims particularly on an anonymous message board where nothing can be verified.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

I don’t necessarily agree with that aphorism but maybe that’s something you should keep in mind…
Let me be clear.

I don’t believe anything horshack posts on this board.

he’s proven to be full of it.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

none of that blather even remotely applies to what was said. you're just trying to play message board superhero. and failing miserably. i never offered any virtue signaling information. that's not my style. my benevolence is done in private. i don't need pats on the back. i'll give you some advice that you didn't ask for. just like you did me. don't be a dick your whole life. it's too short

• Haha

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m willing to bet your previous post was at least 50% full of $h1t just like your claim you once were a conservative republican.

most Mississippians aren’t well know for publicly broadcasting their claims particularly on an anonymous message board where nothing can be verified.
I guess I can't think of a reason to lie about something like this? I can't help but notice that you don't seem to be able to even fabricate a story about personally spending your own time or money to help a specific individual, or group of individuals that are less fortunate than you. keep in mind that it was you who said you did far more than anyone else on this board. At this point, that seems about as likely as Trump donating his salary as president.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login