Small businesses

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
My god. Is there an executive summary for the six pages of this thread? I can't imagine how we got from the subject of "candy" to the finer points of the "fourth semester of differential equations" to "How many philosophers it takes to change a light bulb?" (HINT: the answer is "the fish")

Oh, wait....its SPS off-season....never mind

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My god. Is there an executive summary for the six pages of this thread? I can't imagine how we got from the subject of "candy" to the finer points of the "fourth semester of differential equations" to "How many philosophers it takes to change a light bulb?" (HINT: the answer is "the fish")

Oh, wait....its SPS off-season....never mind
Executive Summary —

People were bored after being shut in for several days because of the weather.

Kudos to @paindonthurt for shifting the conversation to different subtopics when things got stale— otherwise these 240+ responses would have been in 7-8 different threads and the first couple pages of the site would have been unbearable.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'll give you a topic: "Duran Duran was neither 'Duran' nor 'Duran.'" Discuss.

verklempt saturday night live GIF

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
My response was serious.

And that’s one of the differences between us.

I’m serious. You’re more fast & loose.

You can scream people down but you will never win arguments until you become more disciplined.
You are serious and clearly missing the point of my post which was serious.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You also brought non-presidents into a, way OT, but presidential related sub-thread for some reason. You should apply for the MSU field crew. If they ever need goalposts moved, you would thrive.

I will say I'm super worried about the motivation of the Saudis for giving HB $2B and what that was supposed to buy; no wait, that was Jared Kushner, whose "investment firm", that had zero track record, but he did have a FIL who had sucked up to the saudis for four years in line to possibly get elected to another 4.
Again you are clearly showing your intelligence.

Hunter Biden is a presidents son and what he does or doesn’t do can certainly affect his father as president especially if his father has a financial tie to what he is doing.

And you talking about moving goal posts is gold.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Hunter Biden is a presidents son and what he does or doesn’t do can certainly affect his father as president especially if his father has a financial tie to what he is doing.

Kushner's very well documented $2B matters not. Got it.

Reactions: Boom Boom

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You are serious and clearly missing the point of my post which was serious.
If I missed the point of your post, then obviously your post was pointless. **

In all seriousness, when you are communicating with a neurodivergent person, you need to be direct and to the point.

It shouldn’t be difficult for you. You are usually to the point unless you’re babbling about different theories….

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Agreed. America First and American workers first is a win in my book. I don't particularly like Trump, but the guy's been investigated since 2016. We're g. oing on seven years now, been out of office two, and everything's been a nothingburger. Ask yourself why. The establishment - Dems and Repubs plus the Deep State - can't afford to have an outsider in office.
He's an idiot but it's not his fault the Dems trotted out Hillary to run against him. A yellow dog would have defeated Trump. People decided even that egomania fueled TV host wasn't as bad a choice as Billary was. They've never forgiven Trump for winning... Dems or Repubs.

You also cannot become part of the Washington RICH Gridlock membership without the proper RICH paperwork and pedigree approved by one party or the other.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He's an idiot but it's not his fault the Dems trotted out Hillary to run against him. A yellow dog would have defeated Trump. People decided even that egomania fueled TV host wasn't as bad a choice as Billary was. They've never forgiven Trump for winning... Dems or Repubs.

You also cannot become part of the Washington RICH Gridlock membership without the proper RICH paperwork and pedigree approved by one party or the other.
Yep. I fell for anybody but Hillary. Been an odd ride. Clinton had me longing for Bush 1. Obama had me longing for Bush 2. I thought Trump was pretty funny in an outsider, not toeing the political line kind of way until I realized who/what he really is and he led an attack on the capital that seems to not matter to much of my former party of character matters and US first folks. They don't seem to understand that trying to turn the constitution upside down is next level bad. He recently called for "termination of the constitution" to get him reinstated so he hasn't backed down.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. I fell for anybody but Hillary. Been an odd ride. Clinton had me longing for Bush 1. Obama had me longing for Bush 2. I thought Trump was pretty funny in an outsider, not toeing the political line kind of way until I realized who/what he really is and he led an attack on the capital that seems to not matter to much of my former party of character matters and US first folks. They don't seem to understand that trying to turn the constitution upside down is next level bad. He recently called for "termination of the constitution" to get him reinstated so he hasn't backed down.

I voted for Kasich in the party primary in ‘16.

I didn’t like voting for Hillary— I didn’t vote for Bill Clinton in ‘92 or ‘96. I voted for Tsongas in the ‘92 Democratic primary (my father was a contemporary of Sonny Montgomery and an elected Democratic official at the time so it would have been a bad thing for me to vote Republican then).

I didn’t vote for Gore in 2000 (I’ve been turned off by him since the ‘88 election).

I held my nose and voted for Hillary because I perceived her as the lesser of two evils.

I voted for Biden for the same reason. I don’t care for him much either but he seems a little more relatable than the Clintons (his love for Irish culture is something I appreciate).

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I have probably a very low bar for government ethics. I'm not asking them to not be corrupt, I'm just asking for them to limit their corruption to stealing money in a way that doesn't jeopardize national security and to avoid abusing citizens and doing things that tear down institutions we need. Politicizing the IRS, DOJ, FBI, CDC, etc. is much worse than grifting an extra few tens of millions or even hundreds of milliosn per year.
You think Obama politicized them, and Bush/Trump didn't? Was Bushes mass firing of Dem prosecutors worse than Lois Leener, or not? Was Barr's complete mischaracterization of the Mueller report better or worse than Lois Lerner?

I could go on all day, but I suspect we know your hack answer: only Dems can ever be guilty of politicization of agencies, no matter how redonkulously low we have to set the bar.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You seem fairly reasonable on a lot of things, but like a lot of people, you are detached from reality on anything related to Trump. The Republican party is certainly not great on individual liberties and it is more authoritarian than what I would prefer, but it's absurd to talk about them being authoritarian in the context of American politics, unless you are a libertarian who considers the democrat party fascists authoritarians and the republicans slighlty less fascist authoritarians. They are relatively free speech and relatively pro 1st amendment (look at how authoritarian the democrats have gotten over animosity towards RFRA, which was passed virtually unanimously), they are pro 2nd amendment. Maybe it's just because they don't have the control of the bureaucracy to do it, but they are engaged in way fewer abuse of power and abuse of citizens than democrats.

There were a lot of idiots involved in January 6th, but it really was just a non-issue in the grand scheme of things. We do have a problem in that people don't trust our elections or institutions in general. They way to address that though is to focus on election integrity and cutting out opportunities for fraud. The standard is the avoidance of the appearance of impropriety. That's the only way democracy can really work. If people really cared about Jan. 6th and thought it was a serious threat, they would be looking to reform elections to avoid the appearance of impropriety. The fact that they don't but are actually fighting election integrity tells you they don't really care.
Give me one, ONE, example of the GOP ever supporting speech that they didn't already agree with, and I'll give you some credit. I've never seen it. It's patently ridiculous to label them as defenders of free speech when they only defend the speech they like.

Non-issue. Jan 6th is a non-issue, but Lois Lerner is an issue? Says it all.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So you think it’s ok to profile based off hip hop clothes but think we need significant police reform.

seems intelligent
Not arguing in good faith. Conservatives never do, their bullshite can't be upheld if they ever did.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Agreed, but when your side ignores things like the chain of custody of the laptop......then you're not investigating in good faith, and are best ignored. And we all know your sides long history of bad faith "investigations" of your political opponents.

You've cried wolf too many times, no one cares anymore.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Agreed, but when your side ignores things like the chain of custody of the laptop......then you're not investigating in good faith, and are best ignored. And we all know your sides long history of bad faith "investigations" of your political opponents.

Yeah. That's gotta be fake.

humor situation GIF by BestTech

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Kushner's very well documented $2B matters not. Got it.
I’ve admitted Trump does things I don’t like.

You can’t admit that Biden, Obama, etc do very similar things.

The only differences are:

1. a better economy and foreign policy
2. Mean tweets.

Trump is a meanie weenie!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If I missed the point of your post, then obviously your post was pointless. **

In all seriousness, when you are communicating with a neurodivergent person, you need to be direct and to the point.

It shouldn’t be difficult for you. You are usually to the point unless you’re babbling about different theories….

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
Or maybe your reading comprehension just sucks?

Horseshack and boom doom are talking about trump and improprieties.

PDH: Ok what about giving excessive money to Ukraine, what about HRC colluding with Ukraine, what about Hunter Biden?

Direct Eagle: people forgot about HRC and Ukraine bc Ukraine and Russia went to war.

🤔 🧐 🤨

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Your last sentence is all you needed to post.
Trump produced results but it didn’t matter. He could have 💩’d gold bricks and the media would have claimed he stole the food to produce the gold poop. Or that he pooped the gold bricks on Russian hookers.

exhibit A : building the wall was racist except Obama, joe Biden, Nancy pelosi etc all supported a “barrier” before trump ran for office.

exhibit B: trump was terrible for one specific picture of kids in cages and there couldn’t possibly be any explanation to make it ok………EXCEPT THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN 2014 under Obama.
Oh well Obama had to do this and he was way nicer about it!!!!

exhibit C: Trump is a right wing lunatic. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Exhibit Ca: gay marriage. Trump has never given 1 17 about gay marriage or being gay. You wanna be a homo? Ok be a homosexual and marry up. HRC and joe Biden? Both openly against gay marriage until the mob turned on that so they turned.

I can go on and on and on.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What’s funny is you are so inconsistent. You support joe Biden but didn’t like Clinton?

clinton is arguAbly 1 of the best presidents in 50 years.

ran on a liberal platform but was very middle of the road and had policies that helped the economy.

don’t ask don’t tell? Another logical policy.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Give me one, ONE, example of the GOP ever supporting speech that they didn't already agree with, and I'll give you some credit. I've never seen it. It's patently ridiculous to label them as defenders of free speech when they only defend the speech they like.

Supporting the 2nd amendment is supporting free speech and the people of this country. I realize you are so dumb you can’t see that.

give me an example of dems supporting free speech that they disagree with? Like suppressing conservative posts on social media?
Are republicans on record as trying to stop liberal speech on Twitter?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Chain of custody or not. Do you believe the 💩 you see on the laptop? If you don’t you are dumb. If you do, great. Who cares about the chain of custody if the **** is real? IT IS REAL.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Not arguing in good faith. Conservatives never do, their bullshite can't be upheld if they ever did.
Good faith? It’s a direct question based on your direct quote.

how is that not in good faith? I’m using your words against you and you realize you are trapped so you cry foul.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He can be a scumbag....and have false accusations made about him for political gain. You gonna admit that in good faith?
What false accusations were made against him?

Trump can be overly outspoken and have false accusations made against him over and over and over for political gain. You gonna admit that in good faith?

A: building a wall is racist was used against him except Obama, Hilary, joe and Nancy all supported a wall before trump.

B: kids in cages is terrible except the pictures used against trump were taken during Obama years.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The GOP doesn't support speech. It's not a free speech organization. But its members do not attack free speech in anything close to the same degree or frequency that democrats do. Now would they if they had the same control and influence over traditional and social media and corporate board rooms? It's certainly possible. There are only a minority of people out there that believe in free speech.

A bunch of people parading around the capitol doesn't threaten the country. Politicizing the bureaucracy does.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Do you really think there's not one example of the GOP supporting freedom of speech out of principle? I could easily find a few and within a day find hundreds. But, I don't think that will change your mind because I suspect you'll look for some weird caveat you think confirms your biases because you'll find some Republican who opposes free speech in some instances. Are you specifically referring to a party, an organization that's primarily concerned with winning elections and raising money, individual Republicans in office or are you also including conservatives in general? Here's a conservative publication supporting freedom of speech. It's easy to find more. I can also easily find liberal institutions that criticize the actions of some Dems. https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/you-either-support-free-speech-or-you-dont/

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
A bunch of people parading around the capitol doesn't threaten the country.
Well, the ones parading weren't a big threat. What about the ones who stormed the capital and threatened violence to overturn an election? Some are now in prison for breaking the law. I also think the bureaucracy might self-politicize to a large degree. Most in the bureaucracy are on the left and are likely engaged in self-preservation. Progressives take care of themselves and other progressives in ways Republicans don't. Thus, even in red states, the dominant culture in universities, for instance, isn't conservative but progressive and universities are filled with profs who are progressive. Plus in red states there are all sorts of institutions that are staffed by progressives, especially non-profits. There aren't many institutions and businesses outside of the South that are as welcoming to those who are openly conservative as they are to progressives. Republicans concentrate on tax cuts, easy access to guns and abortion. Right now they're catering to the rich, even though many rich people now vote for Dems, religious conservatives, and the working class through slogans and insulting the libz (a lot of Republicans are fine with politicians just insulting those they dislike). They don't seem to care that all sorts of institutions are becoming more progressive or that young, educated Americans are more progressive than prior generations.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well, the ones parading weren't a big threat. What about the ones who stormed the capital and threatened violence to overturn an election? Some are now in prison for breaking the law.
How many guns did they use? Those people should be in prison, and threatening violence with guns is definitely bad and people that did that should be in prison, but it's not a threat to the country. Threatening violence without guns is also bad but not generally sufficient to overthrow a government. There weren't widespread riots. They didn't set fire to a bunch of buildings. They didn't kill anybody. Lots of things are bad that are not rioting, arson, or murder, but you're generally not going to topple a government or come close to it by invading a government building and not having any of those things.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Do you really think there's not one example of the GOP supporting freedom of speech out of principle? I could easily find a few and within a day find hundreds. But, I don't think that will change your mind because I suspect you'll look for some weird caveat you think confirms your biases because you'll find some Republican who opposes free speech in some instances. Are you specifically referring to a party, an organization that's primarily concerned with winning elections and raising money, individual Republicans in office or are you also including conservatives in general? Here's a conservative publication supporting freedom of speech. It's easy to find more. I can also easily find liberal institutions that criticize the actions of some Dems. https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/you-either-support-free-speech-or-you-dont/
Well, for better or worse, National Review is irrelevant. They don't wield any influence. I'm sure there's probably a left leaning organization that you could point to that believes in free speech. Maybe not if nothing has filled the void since the ACLU stopped caring about civil liberties.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
How many guns did they use? Those people should be in prison, and threatening violence with guns is definitely bad and people that did that should be in prison, but it's not a threat to the country. Threatening violence without guns is also bad but not generally sufficient to overthrow a government. There weren't widespread riots. They didn't set fire to a bunch of buildings. They didn't kill anybody. Lots of things are bad that are not rioting, arson, or murder, but you're generally not going to topple a government or come close to it by invading a government building and not having any of those things.
"Threatening violence without guns is also bad but not generally sufficient to overthrow a government."
That's a different argument and you even used the word "threatening" something not in your original post. Of course they had no chance of overthrowing the government. They were a bunch of idiots, some of them were violent and capable of harming others. Perhaps I misunderstood that you meant doesn't threaten the country to mean no threat to overthrow the govt. But, I think Jan 6, while not a threat to overturning an election, was a threat to our traditional practice of honoring elections and a peaceful transition of power especially since it was supported by Trump, a figure who is popular enough to get a large number of Americans to lose faith in our system and elections.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Well, for better or worse, National Review is irrelevant. They don't wield any influence. I'm sure there's probably a left leaning organization that you could point to that believes in free speech. Maybe not if nothing has filled the void since the ACLU stopped caring about civil liberties.
It certainly isn't as influential as it once was. But, I wasn't responding to a post that asked for influence and just one that asked for Republicans who supported free speech. And I agree about the ACLU. My response was in reference to the absolute certainty expressed in another post.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Or maybe your reading comprehension just sucks?

Horseshack and boom doom are talking about trump and improprieties.

PDH: Ok what about giving excessive money to Ukraine, what about HRC colluding with Ukraine, what about Hunter Biden?

Direct Eagle: people forgot about HRC and Ukraine bc Ukraine and Russia went to war.

🤔 🧐 🤨

Ah. You’re just mad that I’m right that people don’t care about HRC & Ukraine now & you don’t have a good response that matches with your political beliefs. 😂😂😂

Carry on.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
"Threatening violence without guns is also bad but not generally sufficient to overthrow a government."
That's a different argument and you even used the word "threatening" something not in your original post. Of course they had no chance of overthrowing the government. They were a bunch of idiots, some of them were violent and capable of harming others. Perhaps I misunderstood that you meant doesn't threaten the country to mean no threat to overthrow the govt. But, I think Jan 6, while not a threat to overturning an election, was a threat to our traditional practice of honoring elections and a peaceful transition of power especially since it was supported by Trump, a figure who is popular enough to get a large number of Americans to lose faith in our system and elections.
It's possible that it's another step in that direction, but it's just as possible it's not. It's bad, but it's not as bad as rioting we've had in the last two years. And again, the people making the most noise about Jan 6th clearly aren't as concerned as they claim.

And oversensationalizing Jan. 6th is bad because people in power use it as an excuse to break norms that help our country survive. It's the same as with Trump. Lots of things about Trump were actually bad, but nothing was as bad as the response to him. Institutions shredded their credibility and trust because Orange Man Bad. Now Orange Man is gone, and we're left with untrustworthy institutions. Granted, they were obviously untrustworthy before and we just didn't know how untrustworthy they were and Orangeman Bad was in a lot of ways a pretext, but I do think there are a lot of people easily swayed that wouldn't have so eagerly gone along with some of the worst of it without really believing that Trump was some unique threat rather than just another morally unfit president, which is apparently we are going to have roughly half the time based on the past few decades.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I’ve admitted Trump does things I don’t like.

You can’t admit that Biden, Obama, etc do very similar things.

The only differences are:

1. a better economy and foreign policy
2. Mean tweets.

Trump is a meanie weenie!
1. What better economy? At best, all he did was continue the path Obama was on. The data shows no noticeable improvement from Obama Era growth. At all.

And that's without docking Trump for trying to treat Covid ad a hurricane map to sharpie the problem away. And there's the real problem with Trump and current conservatives: you can absolutely expect them to approach dire problems as a short term political opportunity, not as something to work out for America.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's possible that it's another step in that direction, but it's just as possible it's not. It's bad, but it's not as bad as rioting we've had in the last two years. And again, the people making the most noise about Jan 6th clearly aren't as concerned as they claim.
Dems are like Republicans. What's good for the party is good to them. Dems have been election deniers in the recent past. Plus, a lot of progressives confuse morality with ideology or really fuse the two to present themselves as morally superior to others. But, that doesn't mean that January 6, should be dismissed. I don't think those sorts of actions should become normalized and accepted and I'm glad many of those nitwits are going to prison. Modern progressives, especially young, white progressives, remind me of some of the really religious conservatives I knew in Mississippi when I went to State. "Jesus was a supply-sider and you're immoral if you don't agree" types.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login