Some proper perspective Franklin haters....

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Paterno went through this in the 70s and very early 80s. Seven losses to Tennessee and Alabama and Nebraska and then boom
Fans in the northeast and southeast for football aren't very patient. Bellichick and Reid were fired because they couldn't win big games.....fans aren't always the right people to listen to. They look through a microscope at one thing, but sometimes zooming out gets you some perspective. How many teams have been consistently better than PSU? There are a few without a doubt, but it’s not a very long list IMO.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
He went through it in the 90’s too. Plenty of losses to Michigan, Ohio State, and Iowa.

If we’re gonna keep this going need to keep in mind Paterno quit recruiting around 2000 or so and still won two B1G titles in a five year span. His talent (rankings) were mid-20’s-30 on average.

Anyways…

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Fans in the northeast and southeast for football aren't very patient. Bellichick and Reid were fired because they couldn't win big games.....fans aren't always the right people to listen to. They look through a microscope at one thing, but sometimes zooming out gets you some perspective.
Not sure how much, if any. input fans had to the firings of Belichick and Reid. Belichick had one season above .500 during his five years in Cleveland. He was below .500 in three of his last four at New England. Reid was sub-.500 in his last two at Philadelphia and it isn't as if he wasn't there long enough. Both, undeniably great coaches, but in the immortal words of Wlat, "hindsight is 50-50."

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
If we’re gonna keep this going need to keep in mind Paterno quit recruiting around 2000 or so and still won two B1G titles in a five year span. His talent (rankings) were mid-20’s-30 on average.

Anyways…
Franklin isn't competing against Joe. He's competing against Ryan Day, Dan Lanning, Lincoln Riely, and, yes, Kirk Farentz and Mike Locksley.

How Franklin measures up depends on one's goals for the program. If those goals are 9 or 10 win seasons, making the playoffs (which is now the equivalent of a New Year's Six Bowl), then he's doing well. If the goal is winning conference championships, regularly challenging for a natty, and winning one every so often, then not so much.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Franklin isn't competing against Joe. He's competing against Ryan Day, Dan Lanning, Lincoln Riely, and, yes, Kirk Farentz and Mike Locksley.

How Franklin measures up depends on one's goals for the program. If those goals are 9 or 10 win seasons, making the playoffs (which is now the equivalent of a New Year's Six Bowl), then he's doing well. If the goal is winning conference championships, regularly challenging for a natty, and winning one every so often, then not so much.

Well put; was just responding to the post mentioning Paterno’s struggles later in his career.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

Anyways…
You left out the part where he lost 9 straight to Michigan and 8 of 10 to Iowa. Many people wanted to run him out of town during those years.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
You left out the part where he lost 9 straight to Michigan and 8 of 10 to Iowa. Many people wanted to run him out of town during those years.

Me included. Still - was only three years removed from a B1G Championship when everything went down. Nature of scheduling back then was we didn’t play UM and OSU every year so missed a few opportunities to win in years we didn’t play and had a better team.

Should have retired in 2000 IMO.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I felt at the time he deserved more time, but looking back that was clearly the wrong call. He had 4 losing seasons in 5 years, we have had back to back 10+ win seasons so this discussion is kind of flipped here. No coach in this era survives 2 losing seasons unless something crazy occurred, never mind 4 in 5 years.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Me included. Still - was only three years removed from a B1G Championship when everything went down. Nature of scheduling back then was we didn’t play UM and OSU every year so missed a few opportunities to win in years we didn’t play and had a better team.

Should have retired in 2000 IMO.
And me. Reached the point where, if he wasn't going to resign, had no problem with PSU firing him. Beat my head against the desk top when I read that Spanier and Curley went to Joe's house to get the deed done. I mean, who the fu@k fires a man in his home? Well, Spankie, that's who.

• Love
Reactions: Midnighter

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

This a very unique and interesting take, one I haven’t considered

slwlion01

Jul 24, 2023
Suck on the following pesky truths......

Franklin has had plenty of success at Penn State, but has struggled against the nation's best competition. While Franklin has led the Nittany Lions to four 11-win seasons, he also now holds a 3-17 record against top 10 teams.

He also holds a dismal 4-16 record against Ohio State and Michigan. Against the Wolverines individually, he is now 3-7.

Penn State is just 1-12 against top-10 teams in the coaches poll since it defeated Wisconsin in the 2016 Big Ten championship game. For the size of Franklin's paycheck, there's much to be desired, including a College Football Playoff berth.

Here's a look into how Franklin has fared in the last 10 contests against top-10 teams.

DateOpponentFinal Score
Nov. 11, 2023No. 2 MichiganL, 24-15
Oct. 21, 2023No. 3 Ohio StateL, 20-12
Jan. 2, 2023No. 10 UtahW, 35-21
Oct. 29, 2022No. 4 Ohio StateL, 44-31
Oct. 15, 2022No. 3 MichiganL, 41-17
Nov. 27, 2021No. 9 Michigan StateL, 30-27
Oct. 31, 2020No. 2 Ohio StateL, 38-25
Nov. 23, 2019No. 3 Ohio StateL, 28-17
Nov. 9, 2019No. 10 MinnesotaL, 31-26
Sept. 29, 2018No. 3 Ohio StateL, 27-26

Utah was also missing their highly talented starting QB in the 2023 Rose Bowl. Do you have any further questions?
Sri for repeating this, but 6-6 in bowl games is terrible.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
This and other Penn State football news sites are not a microcosm representative of the average Penn State fan; they're more for die-hards, old-timers, and recruitniks who are defeated into thinking Penn State can't do better. Sites where there is much more broad fan representation and discourse around Franklin (such as X/twitter, reddit, The Athletic) show fans to be mostly dissatisfied and tired of his failure to win any meaningful game. His national reputation - despite what Pate's Meemaw says - is the same; better than average recruiter who flops when it matters.

And it doesn't matter what anyone on the inside says about the program, it's not stopping Franklin from making bad in-game decisions over and over and over again. I will say La La Land on the pay site sounds very much of an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless (Hive) Mind-set and why wouldn't it? Who wants to pay for disappointment and negativity? Everything is wrong (NIL, PSU Admin., fans, etc.) except for Franklin - pay us and we'll tell you more! Amazing.

Next time anyone says something negative (but true) about Franklin, let's see if you and others have the restraint to not respond.
Perhaps the same should apply when someone has something positive to say about Coach Franklin?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Anyways…
And handed it over to Jay which was a huge clusterf*ck. It took a few years of McQuery, Bradley, and Johnson recruiting to get things back on track. Regardless, his record during the Big Ten years against Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa was really substandard for him. His record against top 15 teams the last 11 years he coached was abysmal. I agree with you, he should have retired at the very latest, 2008. Realistically, he should have retired after 1999. You hate Franklin, we get it. You beat a dead horse daily about it. My point is, the PSU program has been at this level or slightly less since the late 90’s. Does Franklin have his faults..certainly. But can we stop acting like he ran the program into the ground. He didn’t. He picked it up at its lowest point and is trying to get it to where we all want it to be. I’m sure no one wants it to be championship level more than he does.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Anyways…
If the HC can’t recruit, it’s time to go. Unfortunately, he was too stubborn to admit that.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Late to the party, but Still living off those Vanderbilt wins huh?

If Saquon Barkley never came to PSU, James Franklin wouldn’t be here anymore. The end.
Bigger spoon, stir harder.

Dunk Fail GIF

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LB99

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
I really miss the good old days, when we never lost a game and won the Natty every other year. When was that? My memory isn't so good.
Joe in the Big Ten 64% win...guess what Franklin 's is? PSU all time win % is .689....guess what James has done, including sanction years?
I want to win every game . Attended my ist game 1966. Some of the negativity is unwarranted.

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
JF

Stand up guy and great representative of PSU

Says “obviously” a lot and “I’ve got to look at the statistics”

Relates well to his player, a great recruiter and a true family man

Always looks befuddled on the sidelines so ignore that

Makes many head scratcher decisions most pony league coaches would not make

Might lose 4 games this year but good for 9 or 10 wins most years

May never again beat Michigan or tOSU again but who cares…we don’t cheat

Not going to win a natty but may go to playoffs

JF is probably as good as it is going to get in our lifetimes

Better keep him

Reactions: LionJim

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Bigger spoon, stir harder.

Dunk Fail GIF
Oh please, if I ask anyone to pick Franklin's best season at PSU, everyone has to pick 2016. It was his greatest season, the only one he can really hang his hat on by any real measure of national relevance/success, and it required a unicorn on offense; and he still went 10-2 with a loss to Pitt and Michigan. He was gifted the greatest offensive player in PSU history in his prime. And the result was.... more of the regular season same. He hasn't been back to a BIG Championship game since. What changed?

The point is, much like those Vanderbilt wins that everyone refuses to let go of because, I guess, it is the celebrated equivalent of winning the NIT,.....that 2016 season (despite three losses) gave everyone hope for the next step and lead to contract extensions. But with hindsight and in reality, it was no different than any other season we have seen with James, except he had a unicorn RB (and a blocked field goal vs OSU) to help him get that one extra win that got PSU into the BIG championship game. When overwhelming talent and luck show up in Franklin's best season, the results are good, not great. He isn't a bad coach; he's a good one, just not a great one.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Oh please, if I ask anyone to pick Franklin's best season at PSU, everyone has to pick 2016. It was his greatest season, the only one he can really hang his hat on by any real measure of national relevance/success, and it required a unicorn on offense; and he still went 10-2 with a loss to Pitt and Michigan. He was gifted the greatest offensive player in PSU history in his prime. And the result was.... more of the regular season same. He hasn't been back to a BIG Championship game since. What changed?

The point is, much like those Vanderbilt wins that everyone refuses to let go of because, I guess, it is the celebrated equivalent of winning the NIT,.....that 2016 season (despite three losses) gave everyone hope for the next step and lead to contract extensions. But with hindsight and in reality, it was no different than any other season we have seen with James, except he had a unicorn RB (and a blocked field goal vs OSU) to help him get that one extra win that got PSU into the BIG championship game. When overwhelming talent and luck show up in Franklin's best season, the results are good, not great. He isn't a bad coach; he's a good one, just not a great one.
Yeah I know you can only pick out the losses as the overall resume isn't fair to talk about. It was his fault he recruited Barkley or he is still finished ranked 12 or higher in 6 of the last 8 years. Bottom line he's on the sideline this year, but you can hope he fails miserably so you can get the "I was right online" trophy you seem to want. Yippee.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Yeah I know you can only pick out the losses as the overall resume isn't fair to talk about. It was his fault he recruited Barkley or he is still finished ranked 12 or higher in 6 of the last 8 years. Bottom line he's on the sideline this year, but you can hope he fails miserably so you can get the "I was right online" trophy you seem to want. Yippee.
That's where you are wrong. I would be thrilled if James won it all this year. I think everyone on this board would be. Nobody hates him. Some of us just don't expect a different result with him; we have seen the best of James, and it isn't enough to elevate the program beyond where it is. But that has always been the PSU way: don't change because it could be worse, ignore outside opinions or opinions from inside that go against the status quo, act like whatever the outcome is that at least we did it the "right" way (whatever that means)... and then that attitude and mind set bites PSU square on the nose when Mike McQueary walks into the locker room in early 2001.

This stopped being college football when the portal was created. Some on here absolutely laughed at the concept of bringing in people every year to strengthen the depth chart. Now we start threads on it, debate which wastes of space on our own roster will leave (after dismissing Alabama for processing all those years ago), and have a wish list of who we want to poach from other programs. Things change, but not the head coach at PSU.

We are now in the NIL era. Soon there will be threads on how much so and so got, or whether we should overpay for talent from a sophomore from Troy or a HS recruit from Pittsburgh. Things change, but not the head coach at PSU.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
That's where you are wrong. I would be thrilled if James won it all this year. I think everyone on this board would be. Nobody hates him. Some of us just don't expect a different result with him; we have seen the best of James, and it isn't enough to elevate the program beyond where it is. But that has always been the PSU way: don't change because it could be worse, ignore outside opinions or opinions from inside that go against the status quo, act like whatever the outcome is that at least we did it the "right" way (whatever that means)... and then that attitude and mind set bites PSU square on the nose when Mike McQueary walks into the locker room in early 2001.

This stopped being college football when the portal was created. Some on here absolutely laughed at the concept of bringing in people every year to strengthen the depth chart. Now we start threads on it, debate which wastes of space on our own roster will leave (after dismissing Alabama for processing all those years ago), and have a wish list of who we want to poach from other programs. Things change, but not the head coach at PSU.

We are now in the NIL era. Soon there will be threads on how much so and so got, or whether we should overpay for talent from a sophomore from Troy or a HS recruit from Pittsburgh. Things change, but not the head coach at PSU.
You're a few months or decade behind on some of these topics man. Those discussion about NIL have been going on and the pay site has been reporting on it for over a year now. It stopped being college football when the NCAA and SEC didn't care about oversigning to create an advantage of about 5 extra ships a year well over a decade ago. The SEC has had the "portal" in place for a long time, they just asked guys to move on or forced them out the door. The SEC and tOSU had pay for play humming along long before NIL. Clarrett's was driving around in a 40k Navigator for Tresssel.....and his single Mom was making around 30k a year IIRC.

In terms of what this HC has done behind the scenes to move this antiquated dinosaur program into the modern game, it's been countless things. I hated the way he went about it every year, but the more you read about the administration the more you wonder how in the hell he even bothered to stay at this dysfunctional school. PSU has some fans that think the program is setup as an elite program just lacking a HC, but this HC at least forced the school to start working towards that. The program was stale 15 years before he ever arrived and was a train wreck when he got here. OB had stated the same thing and even called out those idiots out walking out the door and some people didn't want to hear it....because they were butt hurt that any HC dare leave dear old state. None of which leads me to believe that his job is in danger, it's not. If he makes the playoffs this year which is possible, he isn't on the hot seat again next year. Just keep hoping we fire him as PSU fans that want him fired really overvalue this program in 2024 thinking it's 1997. Taking the field in a complete hypothetical coaching change that isn't occurring isn't some brave take...just so you know. Anyone can do it for 99% of the teams as 99% of them won't being winning a MNC either.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUAVLNC

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
JF

Stand up guy and great representative of PSU

Says “obviously” a lot and “I’ve got to look at the statistics”

Relates well to his player, a great recruiter and a true family man

Always looks befuddled on the sidelines so ignore that

Makes many head scratcher decisions most pony league coaches would not make

Might lose 4 games this year but good for 9 or 10 wins most years

May never again beat Michigan or tOSU again but who cares…we don’t cheat

Not going to win a natty but may go to playoffs

JF is probably as good as it is going to get in our lifetimes

Better keep him
Fair and balanced. Game day coaching is a much over rated part of the HFC job.

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
You're a few months or decade behind on some of these topics man. Those discussion about NIL have been going on and the pay site has been reporting on it for over a year now. It stopped being college football when the NCAA and SEC didn't care about oversigning to create an advantage of about 5 extra ships a year well over a decade ago. The SEC has had the "portal" in place for a long time, they just asked guys to move on or forced them out the door. The SEC and tOSU had pay for play humming along long before NIL. Clarrett's was driving around in a 40k Navigator for Tresssel.....and his single Mom was making around 30k a year IIRC.

In terms of what this HC has done behind the scenes to move this antiquated dinosaur program into the modern game, it's been countless things. I hated the way he went about it every year, but the more you read about the administration the more you wonder how in the hell he even bothered to stay at this dysfunctional school. PSU has some fans that think the program is setup as an elite program just lacking a HC, but this HC at least forced the school to start working towards that. The program was stale 15 years before he ever arrived and was a train wreck when he got here. OB had stated the same thing and even called out those idiots out walking out the door and some people didn't want to hear it....because they were butt hurt that any HC dare leave dear old state. None of which leads me to believe that his job is in danger, it's not. If he makes the playoffs this year which is possible, he isn't on the hot seat again next year. Just keep hoping we fire him as PSU fans that want him fired really overvalue this program in 2024 thinking it's 1997. Taking the field in a complete hypothetical coaching change that isn't occurring isn't some brave take...just so you know. Anyone can do it for 99% of the teams as 99% of them won't being winning a MNC.
That wasn't what I was saying. The typical PSU fan for decades thumbed their nose at other programs and the concept of paying players. Of course we all knew other programs were doing it, but publicly we loved to state that we were better than that, allegedly. Now we see regular threads, discussions, and approval from this fan base about paying players. Openly and proudly; whether from NIL or PSU directly in the future. The same institution who "has the football coaches name on the library" will now cut checks to the starting left guard on the football team; and our fans will cheer for more. Things change, sometimes for the better. It was the same thing I watched with the pre-portal when Bama and the SEC processed everyone; this fan base said "no, we don't do that; better than that." Well, the portal arrived, and we did a 180. Things change and either by force or desperation people adapt or fall off. The only thing this fan base refuses to move on from is this stupefying loyalty to whoever the HC is. And it is killing the on-field product because he isn't anything more than "good enough" at this point in his career.

I have no doubt that Franklin inherited a mess: sanctions, poor funding, outdated thinking and equipment and buildings. God knows what racial elements he probably encountered as well within the confines of Dear Old State. Plus he had to adapt to the portal and NIL, which I am sure no one inside Old Main wanted, and all while trying to give the impression that he is running an actual, clean college program with books and classwork and stuff. Not easy, and not a cheap job. He has been a great ambassador off the field.

But not all relationships are meant to be forever. Lots of companies, sports programs, governments, and civic organizations out there who replaced leaders and the next guy/gal took things to the next level. No one is owed anything, we are all replaceable; there is always someone who can do it better.

I keep posting the Michigan picture for several reasons:
1. It's so absurd that it's funny.
2. It captures, in one play, the Franklin era in its truest form because it forces the viewer's internal monologue to consciously say "this isn't going to work".

• Love

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
That wasn't what I was saying. The typical PSU fan for decades thumbed their nose at other programs and the concept of paying players. Of course we all knew other programs were doing it, but publicly we loved to state that we were better than that, allegedly. Now we see regular threads, discussions, and approval from this fan base about paying players. Openly and proudly; whether from NIL or PSU directly in the future. The same institution who "has the football coaches name on the library" will now cut checks to the starting left guard on the football team; and our fans will cheer for more. Things change, sometimes for the better. It was the same thing I watched with the pre-portal when Bama and the SEC processed everyone; this fan base said "no, we don't do that; better than that." Well, the portal arrived, and we did a 180. Things change and either by force or desperation people adapt or fall off. The only thing this fan base refuses to move on from is this stupefying loyalty to whoever the HC is. And it is killing the on-field product because he isn't anything more than "good enough" at this point in his career.

I have no doubt that Franklin inherited a mess: sanctions, poor funding, outdated thinking and equipment and buildings. God knows what racial elements he probably encountered as well within the confines of Dear Old State. Plus he had to adapt to the portal and NIL, which I am sure no one inside Old Main wanted, and all while trying to give the impression that he is running an actual, clean college program with books and classwork and stuff. Not easy, and not a cheap job. He has been a great ambassador off the field.

But not all relationships are meant to be forever. Lots of companies, sports programs, governments, and civic organizations out there who replaced leaders and the next guy/gal took things to the next level. No one is owed anything, we are all replaceable; there is always someone who can do it better.

I keep posting the Michigan picture for several reasons:
1. It's so absurd that it's funny.
2. It captures, in one play, the Franklin era in its truest form because it forces the viewer's internal monologue to consciously say "this isn't going to work".
Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Suck on the following pesky truths......

Franklin has had plenty of success at Penn State, but has struggled against the nation's best competition. While Franklin has led the Nittany Lions to four 11-win seasons, he also now holds a 3-17 record against top 10 teams.

He also holds a dismal 4-16 record against Ohio State and Michigan. Against the Wolverines individually, he is now 3-7.

Penn State is just 1-12 against top-10 teams in the coaches poll since it defeated Wisconsin in the 2016 Big Ten championship game. For the size of Franklin's paycheck, there's much to be desired, including a College Football Playoff berth.

Here's a look into how Franklin has fared in the last 10 contests against top-10 teams.

DateOpponentFinal Score
Nov. 11, 2023No. 2 MichiganL, 24-15
Oct. 21, 2023No. 3 Ohio StateL, 20-12
Jan. 2, 2023No. 10 UtahW, 35-21
Oct. 29, 2022No. 4 Ohio StateL, 44-31
Oct. 15, 2022No. 3 MichiganL, 41-17
Nov. 27, 2021No. 9 Michigan StateL, 30-27
Oct. 31, 2020No. 2 Ohio StateL, 38-25
Nov. 23, 2019No. 3 Ohio StateL, 28-17
Nov. 9, 2019No. 10 MinnesotaL, 31-26
Sept. 29, 2018No. 3 Ohio StateL, 27-26

Utah was also missing their highly talented starting QB in the 2023 Rose Bowl. Do you have any further questions?
Joe was 14-24 vs OSU and UM

• Wow
Reactions: Nitt1300