Tyler Warren surpassing Ted Kwalick as Penn State's greatest all-time TE?

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Yeah, a woman playing top-flight college football, that story writes itself.

The game was yesterday. Warren’s probably going to be B1G player of the week. Is there a National POW? And he was #5 in Sports Center Top Ten last night. He’ll probably end up being first team All-America.

Only #5? If he was a biological woman, he would be #1.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Only #5? If he was a biological woman, he would be #1.
Awkward Cat GIF by Abitan

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
LOL I Saw him pick up an onside kick to seal a win vs Army.
I'm so old I was with some HS coaches at spring practice as Franco and Lydell prepped for their senior seasons.
Damn, you have seen the Glory yrs and beyond, you are a good man to ask then, who is the best RB you have ever seen at PSU? I've always thought Warner was the best all-around back I've ever seen, but obviously didn't See Lenny, Lydell etc.. at PSU

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Damn, you have seen the Glory yrs and beyond, you are a good man to ask then, who is the best RB you have ever seen at PSU? I've always thought Warner was the best all-around back I've ever seen, but obviously didn't See Lenny, Lydell etc.. at PSU
Well I'm old but I didn't see Lenny Moore. LOL
IMO...its Carter but at his peak Larry Johnson was right there. If I had to draft just one in the NFL it would be Mitchell. I think his skills would resonate even today.

Jun 24, 2024
Clearly more versatile. NFL will like the potential. As for comparisons to Kwalik and Brady...different position in modern football.
I will give you that the game was different.... but many teams utilized the TE more than Joe....for example 1985 Oklahoma used Keith Jackson (their TE) for ball control and even score on a long pass shortly after Isom went out if I remember correctly.
Different coaching different scheme different recruited talent

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
I will give you that the game was different.... but many teams utilized the TE more than Joe....for example 1985 Oklahoma used Keith Jackson (their TE) for ball control and even score on a long pass shortly after Isom went out if I remember correctly.
Different coaching different scheme different recruited talent
Perhaps. But for the most part a TE was viewed as a slightly more nimble and athletic 3rd tackle. The off tackle double team and man block on the DE and or OLB were priorities. My recollection is that the advent of the triple option and Houston Veer freed the position to explore new uses.

Jun 24, 2024
Well I'm old but I didn't see Lenny Moore. LOL

IMO...its Carter but at his peak Larry Johnson was right there. If I had to draft just one in the NFL it would be Mitchell. I think his skills would resonate even today.
I believe I would agree with that.....although the guy I loved was Aaron Harris....he was a tank with the ball...not an old Sherman tank he could run! I get amazed at times when people only talk about other schools be RBU.....PSU has a plethora of great backs over the years. I feel the GOAT for RB was Gayle Sayers and Lydell had that type of talent.

• Sad
Reactions: LionJim
Jun 24, 2024
Perhaps. But for the most part a TE was viewed as a slightly more nimble and athletic 3rd tackle. The off tackle double team and man block on the DE and or OLB were priorities. My recollection is that the advent of the triple option and Houston Veer freed the position to explore new uses.
Yes I agree...

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
My first PSU coaches clinic was spring of 1971. I recall a hospitality event after the Saturday clinic and I believe it was in a Catholic Church social hall. Beer flowed and Joe was earning his chops going table to table eager to make friends. My last spring visit was 2011. I had breakfast down town and read an article in the Patriot that revealed that Jerry was being investigated for child abuse. I shrugged it off as the price of working with at risk kids. I then went to Holuba and met my coach (Joe Sarra). He introduced me to George Chaump who was visiting as well. Soon JoePa strolled over to join the conversation. I backed away as I felt unworthy of being a part of this conversation among legends. It was the last time I saw both Joe’s alive. They took the Statue down on my birthday 7/22/2012. The next day I traveled to State College to pay my final respects to Coach Sarra. I've never gone back.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login