USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
That’s when the referee has to step in and place the shootout on hold until that stops. And if it doesn’t, then it gets postponed.

Wow. That's not right. That would absolutely be stopped in Europe.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

It amazes me how card accumulation, which does not carry over to the WC, does carry over into the inter-confederation playoffs. Each confederation sets its rules for card accumulation and suspensions and the number of games differ from one confederation to another quite considerably. For example, the AFC (Asia) decided to wipe out card accumulation from their second round to their third round—a round that consists of 10 matches. Meanwhile, Concacaf's octagonal round consists of 14 matches—360 more minutes for players to acquire yellows. Two yellows over the course of 14 matches seems a bit much. All the while New Zealand, the likely representative out of Oceania, will only have played five total qualifying matches.

Interesting, I didn't know those carry over to intercontinental game.

I think that's a silly rule, personally. Or at least, the totals are too low. If someone racks up yellows in every game, OK, maybe then, but what's the big deal if you get a few yellows? Reds, OK, I get it, but who cares if you rack up a couple yellows. Shouldn't be suspended for that. Never liked that rule.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Early observations

- Costa Rica is playing a 5-man back line. That may help them defensively against the USA, but I don't see how it helps them win by 5 or more goals, which they need to do to be ahead of the USA in the CONCACAF standings
- Costa Rica started 7 guys that did not start against El Salvador. That's putting quite a premium on fresh legs.
- by comparison, the USA started 7 guys that did start against Panama
- the US is getting a lot of corners, but has only had one good shot on goal (the above video) from those corners

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
ugh. USA dominates, but Costa Rica gets on the scoreboard first in the 50th minute on a header by Vargas off of a corner.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
and some sloppy D on a set piece by Costa Rica results in another goal by Costa Rica in the 58th minute. smh

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
We qualified and that’s the most important aspect. But, I view what happened four years ago as an aberration. Our goal should remain the same and that is to qualify out of the group stage and get past the round of 16. Because of that, the context of this game is quite concerning to me as we think about instilling a confident and winning mentality in this young group. This was the time to finally get a win in Costa Rica on our way to building toward the WC, especially when CR are fielding a B or C team. Struggling to put the ball into the back of the net when away from home is a big concern for me. Berhalter’s has about eight months to figure out the attack.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Best case for me would be one of these…

Qatar
USA
Poland
Ghana or Cameroon

Portugal
USA
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Worst case is something like…

Brazil
USA
Serbia or Senegal
Ecuador or Wales (need at least one Euro, so couldn’t be Senegal and Ecuador)

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Best case for me would be one of these…

Qatar
USA
Poland
Ghana or Cameroon

Portugal
USA
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Worst case is something like…

Brazil
USA
Serbia or Senegal
Ecuador or Wales (need at least one Euro, so couldn’t be Senegal and Ecuador)

I'd sign up for either or those.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Happy WC draw day.....no group of death, no group of death, no group of death.....stop, press your luck.

press your luck no GIF

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Happy WC draw day.....no group of death, no group of death, no group of death.....stop, press your luck.

press your luck no GIF
The problem is that when you are often the country that makes it the group of death, then it can be hard to avoid! That was the case before being upgraded to Pot 2 status. Being in Pot 2 means we avoid another Pot 2 team, so that can help, theoretically.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I checked so you don’t have to: the draw commences at Noon ET.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Here is what I'm thinking...

In pot 1, we'd obviously like to see Qatar...if not, I want the "worst" team from Europe that we can get...in order, I'd put that as Portugal, Spain, England, Belgium, France. We don't want South America.

If aren't drawn with Qatar, the next best option is that Mexico goes with them, gets a non-Euro team from pot 3 (there would be a 60% change), and then they'd be locked into the UEFA winner in Pot 4.

If we are drawn with Qatar, I'd love to see Serbia or Poland from pot 3, and then not the Euro winner of Ecuador in pot 4. If we didn't get Serbia/Poland in pot 3, then give me Tunisia or Morocco.

Latest posts