USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Winner of UEFA Playoff (Wales vs Scotland/Ukraine) on Monday, 11/21
England on Black Friday (11/25)
Iran on Tuesday, 11/29

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
England on Friday should get enormous ratings.
Obviously depends on the game time...windows are 5am, 8am, 11am, and 2pm (Eastern). FIFA will look at the games each day to place them by time. Other games are:
Qatar-Senegal
Ecuador-Netherlands
Iran-Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

My guess is we get the 2pm slot, with 11am the second option..

Last edited:

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
It could have been worse, but it also could have been easier. This is no easy group for us.

Whoever is the UEFA team that will join our group will be tough but beatable, so I think it probably all comes down to that Iran match for the US—and Iran is no slouch. They have better strikers than we do (I guess that's not saying much) and they topped Asia qualifying in terms of points.

I know a lot of the money is on Wales to qualify, but I am rooting for Scotland since that would be headline crazy and would steal a lot of the attention (which I would prefer). Sure, Wales vs. England would also be a huge storyline, but it wouldn't reach the level of the Tartans vs. the Three Lions.

Reactions: LionJim and A2nit

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
I just got tickets for US vs Grenada here in Austin on June 10. Doubt we'll see a full first team, but seats are only like $45 for the area behind the goal.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
ESPN+ has a good article up today about the current state of our Striker pool.

Cliff notes…it’s not ideal

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

I don't subscribe, so I can't access it. But the Cliff Notes summary sounds correct. They kept trying out different guys upfront during the qualifying, and nobody really seized the position. Pepi had some moments of brilliance early on, but also went games where he was nearly invisible. (Though in his defense, in those games he wasn't receiving the ball all that much.)

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

Some quotes from it…

Pepi hasn't scored or assisted a goal in any professional soccer competition since Oct. 17. It's bleaker than that, though. All great attackers go through hot and cold streaks -- such are the vagaries of finishing -- but it's not clear that Pepi has even been all that unlucky not to score a goal in seven months.

Hoppe - Here is his shot map for the entire La Liga season with Mallorca…Per Stats Perform, that adds up to 0.11 xG ... not per 90, but total.

Dike - He moved to West Brom in January, but a hamstring injury has kept him off the field for all but 84 league minutes.

Sarge - The main issues: He's not an average Premier League player, and he's also not currently a center forward. Mainly used on the wing, "The Sarge" is averaging 0.17 goals+assists per 90 minutes, with underlying numbers that roughly match up. Not good. He's not doing much else, either, other than a helluva lot of defending because he plays for an awful team in the best league in the world. Maybe he'll have a bit of an attacking resurgence when Norwich go down. In the Championship, they've dominated the ball in a Manchester City-esque fashion.

Reactions: Tgar

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Some quotes from it…

Pepi hasn't scored or assisted a goal in any professional soccer competition since Oct. 17. It's bleaker than that, though. All great attackers go through hot and cold streaks -- such are the vagaries of finishing -- but it's not clear that Pepi has even been all that unlucky not to score a goal in seven months.

Hoppe - Here is his shot map for the entire La Liga season with Mallorca…Per Stats Perform, that adds up to 0.11 xG ... not per 90, but total.

Dike - He moved to West Brom in January, but a hamstring injury has kept him off the field for all but 84 league minutes.

Sarge - The main issues: He's not an average Premier League player, and he's also not currently a center forward. Mainly used on the wing, "The Sarge" is averaging 0.17 goals+assists per 90 minutes, with underlying numbers that roughly match up. Not good. He's not doing much else, either, other than a helluva lot of defending because he plays for an awful team in the best league in the world. Maybe he'll have a bit of an attacking resurgence when Norwich go down. In the Championship, they've dominated the ball in a Manchester City-esque fashion.
Yeah, we need to stop thinking we're going to find a single solution at striker (there is no Harry Kane/Lewa in this mix) and instead start thinking situationally. Are we going to high press a team that we think is weak at the back? Play Sargent. Are we reliant on set pieces against this team? Dike or Pefok. Is it a team that's going to be in a low block who we need to break down? Ferreira. Do we need some tactical fluidity? Pepi.

Accidentally posted here while looking for the USMNT thread on Inside Texas (where I usually hang out) so sorry for the drop in, but cool to visit another board for a minute.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, we need to stop thinking we're going to find a single solution at striker (there is no Harry Kane/Lewa in this mix) and instead start thinking situationally. Are we going to high press a team that we think is weak at the back? Play Sargent. Are we reliant on set pieces against this team? Dike or Pefok. Is it a team that's going to be in a low block who we need to break down? Ferreira. Do we need some tactical fluidity? Pepi.

Accidentally posted here while looking for the USMNT thread on Inside Texas (where I usually hang out) so sorry for the drop in, but cool to visit another board for a minute.
Geez, nice of you to get all analytical here. That was pretty cool.

Reactions: A2nit

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Reyna left the game against Stuttgart at 1:30. Looked like a hamstring.
Level 1 Source here: (don't ask how I know this, just trust me) this injury was scar tissue tearing from his previous injury, not anything new or structural. It's a 6 week recovery maximum and he'll be absolutely fine in June and by the start of next season.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

well you've made an excellent first impression. I hope you stop by, accidentally or otherwise, in the future to discuss the USMNT, the USWNT, and the Premier League (we have a thread for each). And we'll have a separate thread (not yet started) for the World Cup.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
well you've made an excellent first impression. I hope you stop by, accidentally or otherwise, in the future to discuss the USMNT, the USWNT, and the Premier League (we have a thread for each). And we'll have a separate thread (not yet started) for the World Cup.
I'll do that, always looking for good soccer stuff. We have a couple good threads on this at Inside Texas.

Just prepare yourself for my inevitable pet theory on Pulisic actually making every striker we play look a little worse than they actually are by refusing to give us any width and by drifting right into the striker's space (space hogs at wide forward spots are the thing I most loathe about the modern formations in soccer, unless you have Dennis Bergkamp or peak-Bobby Firmino or someone like that at the 9 who can legitimately give you what a #10 used to give you back when soccer was more aesthetically pleasing). I'm an Arsenal guy and a Dennis Bergkamp fanatic,

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

You should stick around. And also check out the EPL thread. LionJim will appreciate having another Gunner, although the resident Tot fans may not!

• Haha
Reactions: A2nit and Hlstone

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
You should stick around. And also check out the EPL thread. LionJim will appreciate having another Gunner, although the resident Tot fans may not!
If
I'll do that, always looking for good soccer stuff. We have a couple good threads on this at Inside Texas.

Just prepare yourself for my inevitable pet theory on Pulisic actually making every striker we play look a little worse than they actually are by refusing to give us any width and by drifting right into the striker's space (space hogs at wide forward spots are the thing I most loathe about the modern formations in soccer, unless you have Dennis Bergkamp or peak-Bobby Firmino or someone like that at the 9 who can legitimately give you what a #10 used to give you back when soccer was more aesthetically pleasing). I'm an Arsenal guy and a Dennis Bergkamp fanatic,
COYG!!!!! Dang, it can get lonely here with just me and @Alphabets. You will see that any coherent discussion of Gunners strategy will come from @Alphabets, not from me, just saying. Feel free to lecture.

Reactions: Alphabets

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021

As someone that lives in Austin I was wondering why I didn't recognize a local poster's name. I'll likely be skipping this match at Q2 though, but have been to all of the other national team events, and have FC season tickets.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Level 1 Source here: (don't ask how I know this, just trust me) this injury was scar tissue tearing from his previous injury, not anything new or structural. It's a 6 week recovery maximum and he'll be absolutely fine in June and by the start of next season.
That’s double good news as I’m also a Dortmund fan.

Reactions: LionJim

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013

I remember when he was at Schalke. He had a really promising season with schalke II and then a good preseason. He was running buddies with Weston then, as they were the two young Americans at schalke.

Then he kind of wandered the nether-leagues, I think maybe was in Denmark? Goals dried up.

he was a really interesting prospect but I would be surprised (very) if he emerged as a real option now.

Reactions: Tgar

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I only just now noticed Toadvine’s handle. It’s the name of a character in Blood Meridian, in case anyone’s wondering.

Reactions: Toadvine

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021

Stick around. Solid post.

Latest posts