USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Why did the announcer say that Costa Rica would need to win by 6 in the next game? We currently have a 10 goal advantage in that department over them. Can he just not count? Or was he looking at the stats before the match?
Because every goal that they score is a positive for them, and a negative for us. A five goal win for them would have made it even, but we’d have the next tiebreaker.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Panama with a goal in the 85th minute, to make it 5-1, USA. It came on a header off a free kick from not far outside the penalty box.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
A win in Costa Rica, a Portugal loss, and we’d be really close to landing in pot 1 in the draw on Friday. We’d need Netherlands to not beat Germany on Tuesday in their friendly, and then it would be razor thin (we’d be extremely close with Mexico).

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Great win. Great to see. They needed that. Still think this squad will have to be very defensive in the group stage in Qatar (counter attacking football, anyone?) but it was great to see against Panama.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Why did the announcer say that Costa Rica would need to win by 6 in the next game? We currently have a 10 goal advantage in that department over them. Can he just not count? Or was he looking at the stats before the match?

Those two teams play each other next week. If Costa Rica scores, it's a plus one of them, but also a minus for USA. Thus, 5-0 Costa Rica would bring them equal. They would need to win 6-0 to have an edge.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I enjoy matches like that. I think it’s quite possible that early penalty really cooled the nerves of our guys.

Luca De La Torre is a breath of fresh air to watch. Perhaps he can do more defensively, but he is technically dependable on the ball and a real asset helping to get the attack going.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
A win in Costa Rica, a Portugal loss, and we’d be really close to landing in pot 1 in the draw on Friday. We’d need Netherlands to not beat Germany on Tuesday in their friendly, and then it would be razor thin (we’d be extremely close with Mexico).

We can pass Mexico if they draw/lose and USA wins. So, full scenario for USA to get to pot one:

North Macedonia defeats Portugal
Germany ties/defeats Netherlands
El Salvador ties/defeats Mexico
USA defeats Costa Rica

All those things have to happen for the USA to get seeded.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

Interesting observation by Bill Connelly. During this window the US has backed off the standard Berhalter approach that tends to win possession (mind you, Mexico at home usually means they own the possession stats regardless of who they are playing). Given how much the US outclassed Panama, however, I was shocked to see these possession stats from last night.

But, the numbers overall for goals for and goals against in relationship to winning the possession battle during qualifying tell an interesting story, as Muller adds.

Reactions: Shoresy

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021

How is canada better than us in soccer? Do they care more about soccer than football? Obviously their traditionally favorite sport is hockey, but where does soccer rank in canada? I would guess that soccer is likely the fifth most popular sport in the US, but not based upon data.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
How is canada better than us in soccer?

It's the 1st time Canada has qualified since 1986, and only the 2nd time in history that they qualified for the Men's Worlds Cup. I wouldn't be so quick to anoint them as better than the USA.

John Herdman (Canada's coach) has an excellent reputation. Congrats to Canada.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Reactions: Shoresy

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
How is canada better than us in soccer? Do they care more about soccer than football? Obviously their traditionally favorite sport is hockey, but where does soccer rank in canada? I would guess that soccer is likely the fifth most popular sport in the US, but not based upon data.
They train on ice so that when they get on grass they can really showcase their speed!

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
It's the 1st time Canada has qualified since 1986, and only the 2nd time in history that they qualified for the Men's Worlds Cup. I wouldn't be so quick to anoint them as better than the USA.

John Herdman (Canada's coach) has an excellent reputation. Congrats to Canada.
Their top striker, who is class and will likely find a transfer out of Lille to an even bigger club, was born in Brooklyn and could have chosen to play for us (Jonathan David). Imagine how that could have eased our #9 issues at the moment. 😔

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
They aren't, they will just finish ahead of the US this time. One WC cycle doesn't set the trend and US's talent is mostly U-23.....so it's hyperbole basically.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Costa Rica has a ton of people sitting on yellows with a play in game assuming they don't win 6-0. They may be the ones dropping starters for this match.

It amazes me how card accumulation, which does not carry over to the WC, does carry over into the inter-confederation playoffs. Each confederation sets its rules for card accumulation and suspensions and the number of games differ from one confederation to another quite considerably. For example, the AFC (Asia) decided to wipe out card accumulation from their second round to their third round—a round that consists of 10 matches. Meanwhile, Concacaf's octagonal round consists of 14 matches—360 more minutes for players to acquire yellows. Two yellows over the course of 14 matches seems a bit much. All the while New Zealand, the likely representative out of Oceania, will only have played five total qualifying matches.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

It amazes me how card accumulation, which does not carry over to the WC, does carry over into the inter-confederation playoffs. Each confederation sets its rules for card accumulation and suspensions and the number of games differ from one confederation to another quite considerably. For example, the AFC (Asia) decided to wipe out card accumulation from their second round to their third round—a round that consists of 10 matches. Meanwhile, Concacaf's octagonal round consists of 14 matches—360 more minutes for players to acquire yellows. Two yellows over the course of 14 matches seems a bit much. All the while New Zealand, the likely representative out of Oceania, will only have played five total qualifying matches.

Schooled. Appreciated.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

It amazes me how card accumulation, which does not carry over to the WC, does carry over into the inter-confederation playoffs. Each confederation sets its rules for card accumulation and suspensions and the number of games differ from one confederation to another quite considerably. For example, the AFC (Asia) decided to wipe out card accumulation from their second round to their third round—a round that consists of 10 matches. Meanwhile, Concacaf's octagonal round consists of 14 matches—360 more minutes for players to acquire yellows. All the while New Zealand, the likely representative out of Oceania, will only have played five total qualifying matches.

I don't think they would get 6 on us regardless, but this kind of makes their decision for them. Not right at all.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
The rules are the same for everyone. I’ll take any gift we can get.
Everyone in our region. My thing is anything beyond the qualifying round should be a clean slate. As Cypha pointed out different regions have different amounts of matches played. I'll take the gift too, don't get me wrong. I just want back in the WC.